Forum for Editorials and other News Features

V-Rally 4 Review

• EurydaceEurydace520,888
    Posted on 11 September 18 at 15:58Permalink
    2018's best rally experience

Please click here to read the story: V-Rally 4 Review
  • Ginuwine AI3Ginuwine AI3502,281
    Posted on 11 September 18 at 16:24Permalink
    I wasn't a huge fan of Dirt 4 (don't get me started on Dirt Rally), but to say this is better does intrigue me!
  • iiTs HawkiiTs Hawk296,832
    Posted on 11 September 18 at 16:33Permalink
    but really 71.99 for the basic game
  • RaDimarzioRaDimarzio191,442
    Posted on 11 September 18 at 16:34Permalink
    Great review. It would be cool to check some in game pictures when going for a review
  • WillCBlogsWillCBlogs249,008
    Posted on 11 September 18 at 17:48Permalink
    xWhatTheHawk said:
    Omg. You weren't lying shock
  • erichsouza76erichsouza76666,206
    Posted on 11 September 18 at 18:07Permalink
    xWhatTheHawk said:
    My God...this is insane.
    I'm really into rally games and had this game under my radar. But with a steep price like this, there is no other way than wait for a sale.
    There isn't anything to justify such a higher price than the average for new releases. This is just ridiculous.
  • Posted on 11 September 18 at 18:54Permalink
    I played only about 2 hours now but so far I disagree with the opinion on handling. It seems to me that the car handles like it is always on ice. Other than that, I like the game, but I worry nobody will play multiplayer...
  • Posted on 11 September 18 at 19:11Permalink
    Been playing this a bit over the last two days. I love it. Yes, at the start, the cars (mainly the mini) feel like they slide everywhere, but I think that's because the braking stat is absolutely awful on the mini and a few of the starter cars. So when you brake, you slide like a drift machine. Since I've purchased better cars, they handle much better and even though I did get used to the mini etc, I love these vehicles. They're much better. Not really enjoyed a rally game since Dirt 3. I know Rally and 4 were good, but they didn't make me want to sit and play through them like this does.
  • buttmudBrooksbuttmudBrooks1,112,780
    Posted on 11 September 18 at 19:44, Edited on 11 September 18 at 20:07 by buttmudBrooksPermalink
    BruceWayne1008 said:
    xWhatTheHawk said:
    Omg. You weren't lying shock
    I don't understand these niche racing games being this price. TT Isle of Man is also $71.99 (got it on sale for $35 though). I really want V-Rally 4 but I'll wait for that 35...
  • Posted on 11 September 18 at 19:52, Edited on 11 September 18 at 19:54 by FightingMegaFooPermalink
    There should be a point taken off the review score for that ridiculous price.
  • ShinnizleShinnizle876,091
    Posted on 11 September 18 at 20:12Permalink
    Yeah, it's almost $104 (after sales tax) for the base game over here... screw that laugh
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • SchinderdivSchinderdiv516,715
    Posted on 11 September 18 at 21:30Permalink
    The game’s physics and handling model is, bar none, the best in any rally game I’ve ever played. Focused on a simcade style somewhat similar to Forza Horizon...
    I feel the term "simcade" is becoming overused and honestly quite obnoxious - when you can throw a million dollar sports cars with lowered suspension around dirt trails while maintaining high levels of traction without even remotely destroying it, I see nothing resembling sim in there (I'm thinking the FH series here). Perhaps I'm focusing too much on the "sim" portion of it, but I prefer to see things as more black and white, especially when it comes to such drastically different handling styles. For the sake of my sanity, I'll just assume whenever I see this it's what I would personally consider "arcade" and nothing more.

Although I do want to play another arcade rally game like Rallisport Challenge, which it sounds to me like this resembles, I'm still not sold on it. Hopefully there's a demo. Handling styles in these sort of games can be very much hit or miss with me, only DiRT Rally ever got the thrill of rally truly right in my book, but it would be nice for a modern arcade rally game to follow suit. The last non-sim rally game I enjoyed was Sébastien Loeb Rally Evo (fun rally stages but far too easy and a bit glitchy) and before that RSC2 and CM'05, so there haven't been many.
    Streets Ahead
  • U2NUMBU2NUMB769,417
    Posted on 11 September 18 at 21:56Permalink
    Its only 59.99 physically. Picked mine up at Gamestop.

After 20 min the floating driving is taking me a bit to get used to. But I think I like it..
  • 教義教義878,380
    Posted on 11 September 18 at 22:12Permalink
    Yeah, nothing beats DiRT Rally, I don't care if Colin McRae himself comes down from rally heaven to give his blessings to V-Rally 4.

Also, 71.99 for just the game on its own? Oceanic quantities of pisstaking going on there, no thank you.
    Are you listening? Okay. Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother? I hurt people.
  • SchinderdivSchinderdiv516,715
    Posted on 12 September 18 at 02:22, Edited on 12 September 18 at 02:22 by SchinderdivPermalink
    U2NUMB said:

After 20 min the floating driving is taking me a bit to get used to. But I think I like it..
    This is what worried me the most. I HATE that "floaty" driving feeling in racing games, especially rally games.
    Streets Ahead
  • Posted on 12 September 18 at 02:35Permalink
    I’ve read a few reviews and they all criticised the handling and had it as a negative hence I’ve not ordered this.
    This review says it’s sublime.
    Maybe when it’s cheap enough I’ll take a punt.
    Posted on 12 September 18 at 03:07Permalink
    Smallville2106 said:
    I’ve read a few reviews and they all criticised the handling and had it as a negative hence I’ve not ordered this.
    This review says it’s sublime.
    Maybe when it’s cheap enough I’ll take a punt.
    It's not realistic, but it worked for me. On the lower-end cars it can be a bit weird, but once you get better brakes and handling upgrades, which takes a couple hours, the balance clicks in and I had a blast. I enjoyed it far more than what I've played of DiRT 4 (admittedly not a ton, but at least enough to dip my feet in).

What racing games did you think handled well? I can try to give a comparison.
    Posted on 12 September 18 at 03:09Permalink
    XenomorphFiend said:
    U2NUMB said:

This is what worried me the most. I HATE that "floaty" driving feeling in racing games, especially rally games.
    The floaty feeling goes away as soon as you start getting upgrades and better cars. Maybe I got used to it a bit as well. But the cars definitely feel like they have some heft when you throw them around a corner. It's not like Need for Speed at all.
  • erichsouza76erichsouza76666,206
    Posted on 12 September 18 at 03:46Permalink
    U2NUMB said:

Just to make it even better: only the digital Xbox version is more expensive. The physical versions for all consoles are at the same price point and the digital PS4 version still has the same base price as expected. So... WTF???? How come a digital version can be more expensive? Did someone at BigBen is that high on crack???
  • Team BretherTeam Brether1,036,260
    Posted on 12 September 18 at 06:25Permalink
    Hmm may try this but these are the people who made Truck Racer after all
    Count your blessings.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.