Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

RAGE 2 is Beautiful Madness Which You Truly Have to Play To Understand

AuthorMessage
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 11 September 18 at 17:00
Feel the power

Please click here to read the story: RAGE 2 is Beautiful Madness Which You Truly Have to Play To Understand
CoreScan
CoreScan
Posted on 11 September 18 at 17:33
Mark Delaney said:
RAGE 2 was a sequel few were really asking for and even fewer expected.
Says who? Rage was a gem, and last console generation's most enjoyable single-player FPS experience. On the consoles, the game's only problem were its rather disappointing scope and the fact that most players expected it to be a true open-world experience, which it just wasn't. Those that didn't make that mistake loved the game, at least every gamer I've ever talked with.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 11 September 18 at 17:36
I said few, not none. smile
BLOOD BERSEKER
Posted on 11 September 18 at 18:07
Never played the first one but this looks really cool!
KJer25
KJer25
Posted on 11 September 18 at 18:54
I loved the first game. It was truly underrated. Maybe a candidate for a TA ICYMI? Either way, can’t wait to get my hands on Rage2.
MrkDhn10
MrkDhn10
Posted on 11 September 18 at 19:25
Loved the first one - great gunplay and driving, and have been hoping for a sequel although, as mentioned in article, really did not expect it! Preordered.
MustaPastori
MustaPastori
Posted on 11 September 18 at 19:38
CoreScan said:
Mark Delaney said:
RAGE 2 was a sequel few were really asking for and even fewer expected.
Says who? Rage was a gem, and last console generation's most enjoyable single-player FPS experience. On the consoles, the game's only problem were its rather disappointing scope and the fact that most players expected it to be a true open-world experience, which it just wasn't. Those that didn't make that mistake loved the game, at least every gamer I've ever talked with.
Says I. I went in expecting a semi-open corridor shooter with fluid 60fps gameplay, but on that most difficult mode that awarded an achievement and that one I forgot the name of, it was a tedious slog through bleak corridors full of self-revive minigames, load last checkpoint screens and some tedious driving and vehicle combat. Maybe it would've been semi enjoyable on lower difficulties but back then I was a completionist and I'd play games on the highest difficulty that offered those precious points.

In fact, RAGE is a prime example of a game which punishes you for being an achievement hunter. Basically your experience would be much more pleasant if you didn't bother to chase those awful, meaningless points that Microsoft cooked up and in the process ruined a lot of games for a lot of gamers.
Elite1111111111
Posted on 11 September 18 at 20:02, Edited on 11 September 18 at 20:03 by Elite1111111111
MustaPastori said:
In fact, RAGE is a prime example of a game which punishes you for being an achievement hunter. Basically your experience would be much more pleasant if you didn't bother to chase those awful, meaningless points that Microsoft cooked up and in the process ruined a lot of games for a lot of gamers.
I mean, the devs make the achievements. If they don't make them fun and engaging that's on them.
MustaPastori
MustaPastori
Posted on 11 September 18 at 20:22
Elite1111111111 said:
MustaPastori said:
I mean, the devs make the achievements. If they don't make them fun and engaging that's on them.
I know! And RAGE isn't the only game I felt this way with. Realizing this was one of the reasons I didn't like modern games anymore I dropped obsessively hunting them. And I find myself enjoying new games more because of this.
Inspector 74
Inspector 74
Posted on 11 September 18 at 20:24
RAGE is truly awesome its on the Game Pass so know excuses get blowing some shit up!!!
RAGE 2 is just going to be heaven, another masterpiece from the currant gaming masterminds at Avalanche studios oh and Id hehehehe this is my other big want, this and JC4 (both Avalanche games funnily enough) bring the Boom!!!
xNSHD
xNSHD
Posted on 11 September 18 at 21:16
looking forward to this never played rage 1 but gonna play it on game pass when the walkthrough guy finally finishes it.
xNSHD
xNSHD
Posted on 11 September 18 at 21:20
Inspector 74 said:
RAGE is truly awesome its on the Game Pass so know excuses get blowing some shit up!!!
RAGE 2 is just going to be heaven, another masterpiece from the currant gaming masterminds at Avalanche studios oh and Id hehehehe this is my other big want, this and JC4 (both Avalanche games funnily enough) bring the Boom!!!
avalanche gaming masterminds? you talking about the same dev that did just cause 3 which ran at 25fps at best. 10-15 at worst.
Spartan 343x
Spartan 343x
Posted on 11 September 18 at 21:44
Need to complete the first one.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 11 September 18 at 21:50
I was hoping for it! And liking everything I've heard so far.

My only fear is another Five Finger Fillet! shock
In a room full of emptiness
Evilplyr
Evilplyr
Posted on 11 September 18 at 22:13
Rage is a gem,and the sequel looks to live up to my expectations of this franchise.Im so excited that they decided to make the sequel,and I can't wait to play this.rock
iMaginaryy
iMaginaryy
Posted on 11 September 18 at 22:14
Small typo in the thumbnail type description:

"Reado ur hands-on impressions with this gleefully insane game from id and Avalanche."
to
"Read our hands-on..."

Just a head's up
Fear is the mindkiller.
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 11 September 18 at 22:59
I’m excited for this as well, everything I’ve seen looks great.
CoreScan
CoreScan
Posted on 12 September 18 at 00:10, Edited on 12 September 18 at 00:11 by CoreScan
MustaPastori said:
Says I. I went in expecting a semi-open corridor shooter with fluid 60fps gameplay, but on that most difficult mode that awarded an achievement and that one I forgot the name of, it was a tedious slog through bleak corridors full of self-revive minigames, load last checkpoint screens and some tedious driving and vehicle combat. Maybe it would've been semi enjoyable on lower difficulties but back then I was a completionist and I'd play games on the highest difficulty that offered those precious points.

If you found Rage so punishing and saw its self-revive and game-over screens so often, you must've been a LEGO and TellTale Games completionist, because Rage was fair and well-playable, even on Ultra Nightmare difficulty (and we don't even know if it's that difficulty you were talking about, because UN difficulty, as well as its related achievement, were added 14 months after the game's launch). Don't blame the devs if a game is too hard for you, especially when the game is no "tedious slog" to begin with. Also, if you allowed the achievements to distract you to a point where they ruined your experience, that's entirely your fault. And yeah, of course, Microsoft cooked up points and ruined a lot of games in the process - *quote of the month* - meaning Microsoft screwed up Rage for you, even though the game was a multi-platform release and achievements are designed by a game's developer. How dare they?!
Lockie
Lockie
Posted on 12 September 18 at 02:49
I forgot this was coming out, looks really good! Though it's probably a title I'll end up getting on sale in a year or two.

CoreScan said:
If you found Rage so punishing and saw its self-revive and game-over screens so often, you must've been a LEGO and TellTale Games completionist, because Rage was fair and well-playable, even on Ultra Nightmare difficulty (and we don't even know if it's that difficulty you were talking about, because UN difficulty, as well as its related achievement, were added 14 months after the game's launch). Don't blame the devs if a game is too hard for you, especially when the game is no "tedious slog" to begin with.
I don't remember RAGE 1 being that hard of a completion either (I did it in one run on Insane). Just make sure you use JoshVqz's awesome spreadsheet tracker for the 100% completion achievement otherwise you might get stuck in 99% collectable hell.
Posting from sunny Australia.
Bar6arian
Bar6arian
Posted on 12 September 18 at 03:30
Didn't touch the first one but 2 looks to good to pass up!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.