Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

A Farewell to Telltale

• Posted on 23 September 18 at 16:00Permalink
    Players will remember that.

Please click here to read the story: A Farewell to Telltale
  • True ScumTrue Scum117,746
    Posted on 23 September 18 at 16:02Permalink
    Well i only enjoyed The Walking Dead season 1 who was just fantastic but after that it was just awful....
  • OMG IT5 EJOMG IT5 EJ766,086
    Posted on 23 September 18 at 16:03Permalink
    So sad
  • Posted on 23 September 18 at 16:06Permalink
    I really wish it didn't have to end this way. Telltale was never perfect, but at their best, they deserved every bit of praise they got. Part of me wishes someone (perhaps Microsoft) would step in and save them in a buyout, but at this point that's probably out of the question. So long, Telltale. You'll be missed, but not forgotten.
    This is a signature. It has words in it.
  • Its Uncle KevIts Uncle Kev1,115,297
    Posted on 23 September 18 at 16:07Permalink
    Press X to pay respects
  • Posted on 23 September 18 at 16:06Permalink
    cry
  • NoHeroes94NoHeroes94548,381
    Posted on 23 September 18 at 16:12Permalink
    1) La Dispute are amazing 2) This articles is amazing 3) Mark Delaney is amazing.
  • SprinkyDinkSprinkyDink1,406,564
    Posted on 23 September 18 at 16:15Permalink
    Gamers will remember that
  • ComboChristComboChrist700,823
    Posted on 23 September 18 at 16:16Permalink
    Couldn't care less. But they better deliever all episodes for the Final season.
  • Posted on 23 September 18 at 16:18Permalink
    This is sad, loved their storytelling. I played all but the Wallace and From it games, and loved each one as much as the last. I thought they were popular games, but it seems not.

What state does this leave Walking Dead Final Season though? I mean, achievement list was finalised which says to me that they knew the story already. Are we going to see this to the end or is going to go all Blues and Bullets on us? Looks like they really meant more than we thought with that 'final season' title. Not just the walking dead, but Telltale's final season.
  • Posted on 23 September 18 at 16:19Permalink
    So are we getting a Final Season refund if they aren't making all the episodes but we have paid for them??
  • Otouto72Otouto72868,465
    Posted on 23 September 18 at 16:24, Edited on 23 September 18 at 16:27 by Otouto72Permalink
    This is probably the first time I have ever felt so gutted about a developer going under. Probably because for all the time I have been on Xbox Live Telltale have been there. For me, it truly feels like an end of an era.

As for The Walking Dead Final Season, I guess we have to wait for something official from what's left of Telltale but it's all but dead while no hope of resolve. I feel for fans who will never get the chance to see a proper ending to Clementine. I feel for the developers who's hard work and sacrifice seemingly didn’t mean shit to the higher ups. And I feel for those who bought the season pass for four episodes and only getting two. Everyone is a loser in this shitstorm.
  • Mince lfcMince lfc985,248
    Posted on 23 September 18 at 16:24Permalink
    This is sad to see, but does that mean we paid £20 for one episode lol?
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 23 September 18 at 16:31Permalink
    Good riddance.
    I'm always willing to help other players boost achievements even if I already have them. Just ask!
  • Posted on 23 September 18 at 16:32Permalink
    I really like all the telltale games and really don't understand how the company wasn't making the money as all their games where from quite high profile franchises? It's sad for all the people that have lost their jobs and hopefully they will find a place in other development teams esp narrative projects. The one thing I don't think is right is releasing this final season here (which would wrap up clems story) then not finishing it. The decision to basically fold the studio would have been made quite a while ago so I don't see why they even released the first episode if they knew they would never finish it. cry
  • KanchanaburiKanchanaburi1,080,176
    Posted on 23 September 18 at 16:38Permalink
    The company wasn't making money because of their style of release. The game would be given a retail price for it's season pass, but by half way through, the game would go on sale, many many times before it was even released.That means, although units sold were high, the actual profit from sales was low. Many people would wait until the whole game was released, and those people, like me, would wait for a sale of 40% off or more.

But most of these games were time fillers. I had batman now for 1 year in my back log, and i only started playing it recently. it's okay. but honestly, it wasn't a 'game' that i was dying to play.

I haven't been super excited about a telltale release since GOT, and we all know how they screwed that one up... constant bugs and studders in EVERY episode!

RIP
  • Scorpionxx0Scorpionxx0326,980
    Posted on 23 September 18 at 16:41Permalink
    Sad to see them go, I always enjoyed there story driven games which was relaxing and had easy achievements that I didn’t need to do super heavy grinds to get.
  • SashamorningSashamorning1,767,194
    Posted on 23 September 18 at 16:41Permalink
    Fantastic piece.

There is so much irony here. "The Walking Dead" ended up breathing life into the studio, but also essentially turning the studio into a dead zombie walking, staffed by worked-to-exhaustion zombies.

Good has already come out of this. Other studios are stepping up to help the laid off workers, recognizing that there is talent out there. Hopefully the companies themselves will take notice, too, and examine their own working conditions.

I really hope this signals the end of the episodic game. This model wasn't working. Buy the "season pass" up front, but watch it go on sale before the 4th of 5 episodes have been released. Or watch Minecraft have a pass for 5 games, only to have the arc run for 4 episodes, and the need for players to cough up extra for another 3 episodes.

Or, worst of all, buying a season pass for a game that will never see the light of day. Perhaps. Probably.

That's the final curse of the episodic game. Telltale shutting down after releasing (amid much hype and fanfare) the first of four episodes, having already secured preorders and cash up front, is likely poised to go into bankruptcy and not returning those funds.

We've seen this before, with Valve's missing Half Life 2 Episode 3. Episode 2 left a cliffhanger, and episode 3 was given a release date of "Christmas 2007." 11 years later...

And so, finally, we have the central zombie Telltale game, turning into a zombie before our eyes. Had this been a single release instead of possessing an episodic format, we would either have all of it, or none of it.

Clem is already dead. We just didn't get to see it happen.

Shame on you, management at Telltale. You couldn't even stick around long enough to tell us your last tale.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
  • Posted on 23 September 18 at 16:41Permalink
    Does that also mean The Wolf Among Us Season 2 is not going to be released?
  • SashamorningSashamorning1,767,194
    Posted on 23 September 18 at 16:43, Edited on 23 September 18 at 16:46 by SashamorningPermalink
    NinjaShadowKai said:
    I really like all the telltale games and really don't understand how the company wasn't making the money as all their games where from quite high profile franchises?
    High profile franchises require high profile, high-cost licenses.

PowergridMIKE said:
    Does that also mean The Wolf Among Us Season 2 is not going to be released?
    Yeah, as discussed elsewhere, Telltale isn't doing it. If we're lucky, someone else will.

Or maybe that was also a ploy by TTG to keep us hooked. After all, we all dropped $$ on passes for a game that doesn't exist.

THIS SHOULD BE THE DEATH OF SEASON PASSES RIGHT HERE.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.