Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

A Farewell to Telltale

• Posted on 24 September 18 at 23:19Permalink
    Season passes and super expensive licenses are what probably killed them. Their sales were crazy good, piss poor management is what probably did them in.

Batman and GoT were pretty bad anyways. The royalties paid for those definitely didn't help. Should have tried to build sam and max more and focus on building their own characters.
  • Posted on 24 September 18 at 23:36Permalink
    Fanta Morgana said:
    The Globalizer said:
    Fanta Morgana said:
    I'm not too familiar with american law much less californian, but here in Germany if you have a company of that size, you are around the point were a lot of the regulations kick in and you have to have all this coorporate bullshit that doesn't really do anything productive but is required like an HR-department or anti-discrimination officers and so on.
    laugh

Oh, wait, you were serious?
    Whats so funny about that?
    After seeing the Quartering video someone posted earlier I see were you may be coming from.
    I didn't know Telltale was such a cesspool of feminist cancer, that they didn't need any coercion by law to implement all this bullshit and willingly went overboard in adding a lot of dead weight.
    It also explains why their writing capabilities went down the drain.
  • Posted on 24 September 18 at 23:45Permalink
    Fanta Morgana said:
    Fanta Morgana said:
    The Globalizer said:
    Fanta Morgana said:
    I'm not too familiar with american law much less californian, but here in Germany if you have a company of that size, you are around the point were a lot of the regulations kick in and you have to have all this coorporate bullshit that doesn't really do anything productive but is required like an HR-department or anti-discrimination officers and so on.
    laugh

Oh, wait, you were serious?
    Whats so funny about that?
    After seeing the Quartering video someone posted earlier I see were you may be coming from.
    I didn't know Telltale was such a cesspool of feminist cancer, that they didn't need any coercion by law to implement all this bullshit and willingly went overboard in adding a lot of dead weight.
    It also explains why their writing capabilities went down the drain.
    Why hire writers based on merit when you can pander to a demographic that is, at best, 1% of your consumer base
    Devil cracked the earthly shell, foretold she was the one. Blew hope into the room and said "You have to live before you die young"
  • MiggyBombsMiggyBombs448,263
  • Posted on 25 September 18 at 00:39, Edited on 25 September 18 at 00:46 by Fanta MorganaPermalink
    guns vs kittens said:
    Why hire writers based on merit when you can pander to a demographic that is, at best, 1% of your consumer base
    I barely paid attention to Telltale as I had pretty much Lost interest after buying GOT on sale and thinking it was alright at best.
    With all the shit that is uncovered now I'm baffled by the amount of incompetence on all levels of the company. From the management, still hiring people a week before the shutdown, to PR-people publicly shitting on fans, to developers still using this more than 12 year old Telltale tool engine, without physics and lighting engine. There was/is so much wrong with that company that its barely surprising they went belly-up and everyone following that company should have seen it coming miles away.

If you're a quasi-monopoly like Google, you can get away with all this diversity-hiring and putting ideology before efficiency, but in a highly competitive place like games development, when there are other companies aiming to deliver a good product based on the consumers preferences you'll go under if you fool around with shit like staffing your crew full of females just for the hell of it.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy265,246
    Posted on 25 September 18 at 00:52Permalink
    Yeah they had better put more effort into fnishing Final season of TWD than doing a new Stranger Things game. I would like to see a Stranger Things game, but with episodes 3 and 4 already paid for why begin something new? You can not even buy the first episode of the Final Season, it is only the Season pass or demo available, so not given choice to buy episodes individually or go for Season pass. In this case I think the final episodes are all complete, just need marketing. If they do not release episodes 3 or 4 then it has just been a con, and this will harm the reputation / future of the head people of Telltale more so than the bankruptcy will. Peoplw will remember this!
  • WifelikeDripWifelikeDrip335,516
    Posted on 25 September 18 at 01:31Permalink
    TWD S1 was the only good one. TWAU was the only one that I thought was the most original.

The rest of them were more like a cry for help than actual games. It's like they were addicted to smoking meth and shooting up, and the only way to show people they had a problem was doing it in public a bunch of times. Their fans killed them...kinda like Elvis' fans sold out his concerts even if he was lying on stage mumbling high as a kite...then he dies and everyone is sad all of a sudden.

Buying their garbage enabled them to create more trash, and then they died.. And now they get a bail out to make something that is probably worse than their last failure. Sad but true.
    ihavebaldtires
  • Vokul VeganVokul Vegan227,149
    Posted on 25 September 18 at 03:12Permalink
    *cry* Borderlands was sooooo good. My 2017 game of the year. Yes I know what that entails lol.
  • Posted on 25 September 18 at 03:43Permalink
    Was this a grossly mismanaged company? I'd be curious to see their financials...
    Pretend inferiority and encourage their arrogance.
  • nemesis646nemesis646248,218
    Posted on 25 September 18 at 07:36Permalink
    A good read. While Telltale in retrospect went overboard with IPs, they brought me good memories and the developers are now free to go elsewhere. Hopefully"elsewhere" is somewhere positive.
    I AM EVERYWHERE
  • ShokuPanMikeShokuPanMike155,866
    Posted on 25 September 18 at 07:48Permalink
    You don't have to feel too sorry for these employees. They are talented people in a thriving industry. They'll move on. It's not quite how the end of coal mining, steel production or ship building in the UK affected those workers.
    Less work, more play!
  • ColdEagle86ColdEagle86206,370
    Posted on 25 September 18 at 11:14, Edited on 25 September 18 at 11:18 by ColdEagle86Permalink
    Well said, great article. Like many I was hoping for a second season of the wolf among us. I am a little baffled how they can mismanage finances to such a degree to cause them to go under, especially given the IP's and game style. Good luck for the devs in their future.
  • MardunicusMardunicus186,463
    Posted on 25 September 18 at 19:06Permalink
    Fanta Morgana said:
    guns vs kittens said:
    I barely paid attention to Telltale as I had pretty much Lost interest after buying GOT on sale and thinking it was alright at best.
    With all the shit that is uncovered now I'm baffled by the amount of incompetence on all levels of the company. From the management, still hiring people a week before the shutdown, to PR-people publicly shitting on fans, to developers still using this more than 12 year old Telltale tool engine, without physics and lighting engine. There was/is so much wrong with that company that its barely surprising they went belly-up and everyone following that company should have seen it coming miles away.

If you're a quasi-monopoly like Google, you can get away with all this diversity-hiring and putting ideology before efficiency, but in a highly competitive place like games development, when there are other companies aiming to deliver a good product based on the consumers preferences you'll go under if you fool around with shit like staffing your crew full of females just for the hell of it.
    That's why you hire people based on their skills and not because they belong to a certain demographic
  • Kuningatar VKuningatar V257,036
    Posted on 26 September 18 at 05:33Permalink
    My first experiences with their games were amazing. Like TWD season 1 and Tales from the Boringlands. But then I started to notice that while you can make a loads of choices most of them are only illusions - the story will end with same way or it will have a little effect. I tried to enjoy Wolf Among Us but it was way too much repeating like their previous games so I started to move to other story driven games like The Bunker, Late Shift, Firewatch etc...
  • misfit119misfit119893,138
    Posted on 26 September 18 at 20:25, Edited on 26 September 18 at 20:26 by misfit119Permalink
    MaliceGhost said:
    That's why you hire people based on their skills and not because they belong to a certain demographic
    You do realize you can do both right? Finding people based on their skills and their demographic isn't the impossible dream some seem to think. Diversity hires aren't what killed TT. They overextended and had bad management. By the time they got some adults to handle their books it was too late.

Kuningatar V said:
    My first experiences with their games were amazing. Like TWD season 1 and Tales from the Boringlands. But then I started to notice that while you can make a loads of choices most of them are only illusions - the story will end with same way or it will have a little effect.
    This is what killed the Telltale games for me. It's basically just a straight line of a story and even the things that should have big effects, like Kenny in TWD1, end up meaning nothing if the devs want the story to go a particular way. It's dumb.
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
  • Posted on 26 September 18 at 21:32, Edited on 26 September 18 at 21:35 by guns vs kittensPermalink
    misfit119 said:
    MaliceGhost said:
    You do realize you can do both right? Finding people based on their skills and their demographic isn't the impossible dream some seem to think. Diversity hires aren't what killed TT. They overextended and had bad management. By the time they got some adults to handle their books it was too late.
    Why would you do contradictory things to begin with in a competitive market? A person's arbitrary characteristics shouldn't be why someone is hired, like the Tweets from the TT employee about how they are strictly looking for a female to fill a higher position, and men were dickheads for wanting the position when it could be filled by a woman.

That contributed to the kind of environment that some of the writing employees that TT had during peak popularity left for. Nobody likes working for a cult.
    Devil cracked the earthly shell, foretold she was the one. Blew hope into the room and said "You have to live before you die young"
  • MardunicusMardunicus186,463
    Posted on 26 September 18 at 23:19Permalink
    misfit119 said:
    MaliceGhost said:
    I never said you couldn’t have both. I said you should hire people based on their skills and not because of their race, sex, age, etc. Skills are the most important factor, not one’s demographic. If they belong to so and so, great, but that’s not going to be the deciding factor if they get the job or not.
  • misfit119misfit119893,138
    Posted on 27 September 18 at 02:12Permalink
    guns vs kittens said:
    Why would you do contradictory things to begin with in a competitive market? A person's arbitrary characteristics shouldn't be why someone is hired
    Because by diversifying your employee pool, especially in a creative field, you expand the amount of experiences to draw from. There's only so many angles that a group of straight white males is going to be able to approach writing from. We all have different experiences based on ethnicity, gender, skin color and where we grew up. So by expanding your pool you ensure that both your writers and your management know how to approach your creative endeavor from various different angles.

guns vs kittens said:
    Nobody likes working for a cult.
    Yes, because all those people left due to all the evil brown people and women being given positions. roll It certainly wasn't the 24/7 crunch that led to the older staff running for the hills. Cuz people in the gaming industry tend to love that sort of thing being a year round problem, not a short burst near the end of production.
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
  • Posted on 27 September 18 at 18:48Permalink
    misfit119 said:
    guns vs kittens said:
    Why would you do contradictory things to begin with in a competitive market? A person's arbitrary characteristics shouldn't be why someone is hired
    Because by diversifying your employee pool, especially in a creative field, you expand the amount of experiences to draw from. There's only so many angles that a group of straight white males is going to be able to approach writing from. We all have different experiences based on ethnicity, gender, skin color and where we grew up. So by expanding your pool you ensure that both your writers and your management know how to approach your creative endeavor from various different angles.
    You're basing that on a lot of axioms that aren't necessarily true.
    You are saying that a pool of people has a higher creativity than a single person could have. Some of the most creative pieces of art have been created by a single person.
    You assume every angle of approach is valueable for the goal you want to reach
    You assume that superficial physiological characteristics are the factor on which to diversify.
    Diversity is our strength is just a bullshit mantra that has nothing to back it up, apart from the Semi-intuitive claim you made.
    All these people that repeat the mantra however don't believe it themselfes. They are totally fine, with no republicans, no christians, no midwesterners, ... . The diversity aimed for is favorably non-white and as sexual degenerate as possible.
    And its not like these blue-haired non-binary otherkin are particularly open to controversial or innovative ideas.
    Quite the contrary. They create an environment, where you can't tell a crude joke or you have HR on your ass.
    Women by en large don't care about programming, games or management, so you will have by default a way smaller pool from which to recruit and you will lower your standards if you chase a diversity quota. Diversity and merit may not be mutually exclusive in theory, in praxis they pretty much are. But not only that, chasing after diversity shows that you have your priorities all mixed up and it shows there is a mental cancer festering in your company that casuses a lot of other issues.
    How did all their diversity help Telltale? They shat out some of the most derivative unoriginal games time after time, with their quality and creativity going down while their diversity went up.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.