Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Mouse and Keyboard Game Support Coming to Xbox One Soon

AuthorMessage
AbelusPrime
AbelusPrime
Posted on 26 September 18 at 19:37
DarkWingSpartan said:
As long as they keep it disabled in pvp games, I'm fine. I don't want to have to re-learn how to play online shooters just to stay competitive. That said, if it means games that require mouse/keyboard have a chance of coming to Xbox (like RTSs) and require this, then I'm all for it.
I second this, wholeheartedly.
Reborn Insanity
Posted on 26 September 18 at 19:44
Having the precision of mouse and keyboard doesn't = hacking.
See You Space Cowboy...
SweetArkhane
SweetArkhane
Posted on 26 September 18 at 20:02
So in order to compete against M&K players on console, I have to buy a M&K kit? But what if I went to consoles in the first place because I prefer controllers? Where do I go now? What is the point in buying a console (for competitive gameplay) if I still need to use M&K?
SE6A K1N6
SE6A K1N6
Posted on 26 September 18 at 21:01
Hopefully, this brings the Civ series, Theme Park Studio, and Planet Coaster to Xbox.
Stevo6483
Stevo6483
Posted on 26 September 18 at 21:22
DarkWingSpartan said:
As long as they keep it disabled in pvp games, I'm fine. I don't want to have to re-learn how to play online shooters just to stay competitive. That said, if it means games that require mouse/keyboard have a chance of coming to Xbox (like RTSs) and require this, then I'm all for it.
+1

Keep it out of shooters, etc otherwise PVP will become a joke and would no doubt result in a public outcry.
Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas... Whatever!
The SCHWARTZ 00
Posted on 26 September 18 at 21:34, Edited on 26 September 18 at 21:35 by The SCHWARTZ 00
Reborn Insanity said:
Maybe not, but hell, I'd classify it as cheating outright. FFS we play on console for a reason. KB+M, in competitive games, should never EVER be allowed for use on consoles. As I said, you wanna use it for an RTS or a single player game in general, go for it. But any dev who enables this for use in a competitive setting is a complete asshole.
Aqua Shark 1230
Posted on 26 September 18 at 22:32
The SCHWARTZ 00 said:
Reborn Insanity said:
Maybe not, but hell, I'd classify it as cheating outright. FFS we play on console for a reason. KB+M, in competitive games, should never EVER be allowed for use on consoles. As I said, you wanna use it for an RTS or a single player game in general, go for it. But any dev who enables this for use in a competitive setting is a complete asshole.
Everything is going cross platform. hell xbox has game purchased work on your xbox and pc. clearly you are going to compete with mouse and keyboard so now you will have the choice to use what ever control system you want. they even have the controller you can hook anything up to for ppl with disabilities. Stop complaining about xbox giving choice to the masses. The hardcore ppl on this site will never be the main focus. it will always be the masses.
KenH2k4
KenH2k4
Posted on 26 September 18 at 23:57
The SCHWARTZ 00 said:
Reborn Insanity said:
I play on console for a reason. I play because I don't want to have to upgrade my PC to play the games I want. I play on console because I don't want to sit in a chair to play if I don't want. I can sit on my couch or my floor or wherever I want. I don't have to buy a great monitor, I can use the big TV I already own and someone else can usemy $400 laptop that works great but can't play games because it has integrated graphics.

Xbox already supports mouse and keyboard (which is great if you're an Insider and need to send bug reports) so it makes sense to bring it to games. I can't wait to try it out, and I hope all devs support it
Elyoh
Elyoh
Posted on 27 September 18 at 00:31
Please let this be the foot in the door for RTS games coming to Xbox more often...
No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
The SCHWARTZ 00
Posted on 27 September 18 at 01:16
Aqua Shark 1230 said:
The SCHWARTZ 00 said:
Reborn Insanity said:
Everything is going cross platform. hell xbox has game purchased work on your xbox and pc. clearly you are going to compete with mouse and keyboard so now you will have the choice to use what ever control system you want. they even have the controller you can hook anything up to for ppl with disabilities. Stop complaining about xbox giving choice to the masses. The hardcore ppl on this site will never be the main focus. it will always be the masses.
They can do whatever they want, all I care about is if devs are going to give KB+M people their own lobbies in multiplayer games. I'm all for cross platform, as long as I know everyone in my lobby is using a controller.
JakThaRiPP3R84
Posted on 27 September 18 at 02:47
I don't see the point, in pvp games it would divide the community, since using kb/m against controller users is a bit savage, and even if it was for sp only, who could be arsed to set it up for the odd game?
ClassicDanLies
Posted on 27 September 18 at 03:25
If it means getting more RTS games, that's a big plus. I'd be happy just to get Heroes of the Storm.

If it means getting more POS M&KB cheaters in my competitive shooters (only now they won't be 'cheaters', just players using approved cheating equipment), I might have to finally stop playing them. I've almost quit Overwatch a few times, because I'm so sick of cheating DPS hitscan M&KB smurfs single-handedly ruining every other match.

Lobbies need to be split between controller and M&KB, or A LOT of people are going to be REALLY unhappy, and traditional console players will probably begin shying away from multi-player. I hope that's not the case, and developers are smart enough to realize they'll lose many players if they force M&KB players onto controller users.
LeChatTricote
LeChatTricote
Posted on 27 September 18 at 04:22
I just want want the web browser to recognize mouse input.

I use a mini keyboard that integrate a touch pad and it was a let down that i had to use the controller to browse...

That said, it could make some games more playable like kerbal space program, but i hope it won't become a reason for other devs to become lazy when porting games from PC...
Rossco7530
Rossco7530
Posted on 27 September 18 at 04:37
This will be great for some genres - eg. simulation - and potentially terrible for others. It will be interesting to see which developers choose to use it.
Elyoh
Elyoh
Posted on 27 September 18 at 06:00
LeChatTricote said:
That said, it could make some games more playable like kerbal space program, but i hope it won't become a reason for other devs to become lazy when porting games from PC...
I have the same fear with this.
No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
HUN playmore
HUN playmore
Posted on 27 September 18 at 06:48
This may be a surprise for some but a lot of people are already using affordable third party KBM converters in every PVP multiplayer which gives the a huge advantage. This only makes it official and ruins the multiplayer games even more. Everyone who are playing MP games will be forced to use KBM or get wrecked by default. Overwatch for example is already unplayable for a long time.
Sashamorning
Sashamorning
Posted on 27 September 18 at 10:13
I generally avoid PvP anyway.

P&C games, RTS, Sims, Civ, ARK... these are all games that would benefit greatly from this. As long as the default is still a gamepad, I'm fine with it.

MS has been trying to get convergence for 20 years. I remember playing NHL 98 on a Gateway Destination. This move just adds more functionality to the console. Media center PCs ever really caught on like they could have. Consoles are so much cheaper that using a PC in the living room didn't make much sense.

This is MS getting to a media center taking the long route. It's for those people who want to use their console like a PC, since people didn't really want to use their PC as a media device in the living room.
Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
stebeer85
stebeer85
Posted on 27 September 18 at 11:30
I couldn't imagine playing games without a controller 🙄
Endless404
Endless404
Posted on 27 September 18 at 13:26
I got away from it a long time ago and you guys will probably laugh about the lack of real purpose to it but I always dreamed of playing WOW on console when I was a kid. I sure as hell am not shelling out 15 bucks a month for it, console or otherwise but the dream lives on. Speaking of which what the hell happened to MMORPG auction houses? This has bugged me forever and maybe I was a bit too young to see the flaws in world of warcraft's setup, but I loved it to death. Only MMORPG I've played recently was ESO and it might as well not even have p2p selling points. Off topic but yeah what gives, this has frustrated me for years.
Zorlac0666
Zorlac0666
Posted on 28 September 18 at 12:59
SantaUndercover said:
SprinkyDink said:
DarkWingSpartan said:
Lol its not gonna be NOT allowed in pvp games. Im sure you will be able to use it in pvp games.
Tell that to Sea of Thieves and Rocket League. Cross platform games are already unbalanced because of it, so it doesn't really matter. Non cross platform games on the other hand.
How does a keyboard make you better at either of those games?
https://www.youtube.com/user/Zorlac0666 Please subscribe!! Xbox live Zorlac0666, Steam-Zorlac666 battle.net Zorlac#1875 Nintendo network Zorlac666
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.