Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

If Not GTA VI, What Will Rockstar’s Next Game Be?

• ragnarok0272ragnarok0272740,074
    Posted on 01 October 18 at 13:38Permalink
    I'd love a Bully 2, but I'm almost certain they're working on GTA 6. They have made an absurd amount of money from GTA 5, so there is almost no way that they will stray too far from that series. That said, they are in a position where they can do whatever they want, so anything's possible. They could drop Bully 2 and GTA 6 on the same day without even announcing either game officially, and they'd still make a profit that probably can't be fathomed. We'll see I guess, but I'm not too worried about years down the line; I'm just looking forward to RDR 2 in a few weeks.
  • NoHeroes94NoHeroes94570,285
    Posted on 01 October 18 at 15:50Permalink
    A lot of people hate on LA Noire, for me, it is one of the best games of all time. Ignoring the small flaws, the narrative of the cases and the technology in 2011 was quite outstanding. Its atmosphere was really immersive too. If you're into that type of experience, nothing has come close to L.A. Noire and I leapt for joy when the remaster came last year.

I equally adore Bully, its a real lost gem, BUT I don't think its aged very well at all. They'd have to significantly overhaul the entire experience for it to be any fun. Maybe have it based in college instead of high school, would give them a bit more freedom to do things in my opinion.
  • Large CoffeeLarge Coffee356,484
    Posted on 01 October 18 at 16:02, Edited on 01 October 18 at 16:05 by Large CoffeePermalink
    Skate and Destroy 2 (even though they only published the first one)

Would like to see Manhunt come back more, to be honest
    http://i.imgur.com/hhiPvya.gif
  • Posted on 01 October 18 at 16:05Permalink
    NoHeroes94 said:
    A lot of people hate on LA Noire, for me, it is one of the best games of all time. Ignoring the small flaws, the narrative of the cases and the technology in 2011 was quite outstanding. Its atmosphere was really immersive too. If you're into that type of experience, nothing has come close to L.A. Noire and I leapt for joy when the remaster came last year.

I equally adore Bully, its a real lost gem, BUT I don't think its aged very well at all. They'd have to significantly overhaul the entire experience for it to be any fun. Maybe have it based in college instead of high school, would give them a bit more freedom to do things in my opinion.
    I think the parts of LA Noire that didn't work were mostly the action moments. Running around that collapsing movie set was clunky as hell and just looked ridiculous. The face tech was incredible but it was also obvious the faces were plastered on bodies at a later point, given how the face scans needed to work. That part I forgive pretty easily, but the action scenes were rough and generally not fun. I do still appreciate the game though and I definitely think a Rockstar-led sequel would be much better.
  • Posted on 01 October 18 at 17:26Permalink
    Bully with Bully Online. Now you can bully people you don't know online, like teachers, other students or perhaps even animals! Upgrade your bike and skateboard and get all the sick skins!
  • GoyetteQCGoyetteQC624,842
    Posted on 01 October 18 at 17:40Permalink
    A follow-up to Bully, with any luck.
    [Insert signature here.]
  • Posted on 01 October 18 at 17:54Permalink
    Another manhunt would be interestinglaugh
    Mr. Negative
  • SheBeatsYouSheBeatsYou214,074
    Posted on 01 October 18 at 18:16, Edited on 01 October 18 at 18:27 by SheBeatsYouPermalink
    The only thing I hope to see from them until they innevitable make yet more GTA is another Undead Nightmare type spinoff of the new RDR. Maybe do aliens this time or dinosaurs. Now That would get me to buy the game quick.

Out of all their games, RDR and LA Noire are all I really liked. IMO this is the most overrated developer but to each their own. RDRII will be their new cash cow for years so I dunno WTF other than another GTA they would have an interest in making since gaming nowadays seems more about the cash than the art. I personally could care less about the GTA series I had all the time I needed with that in San Andreas, I played GTA V for about 3 hrs n I was done the formula just seemed cumbersome all the GTA games are the same.
  • Posted on 01 October 18 at 18:24Permalink
    What's really clear is that Rockstar does NOT need to come out with a new game every year to stay relevant. Whatever they do always comes with time and attention to detail. That's always been their thing.

Of course lately the games have come out in a trickle instead of a few games a year but that's allowed them to craft open-world games on a Skyrim-type level.

Whatever they do next will be great, no matter how old or irrelevant (or new for that matter) the IP might be. RDR 2 will be around for many years and Rockstar will focus its attention to that and the subsequent DLC that come out for it.

I doubt Rockstar would continue to cycle out the GTA series every other series. I'm sure even they know how stale something like that would get.
    -Kim Junk
  • Posted on 01 October 18 at 18:43Permalink
    I wouldn’t put money on LA Noire, and besides, LA Noire doesn’t feel the same without Phelps
  • Posted on 01 October 18 at 19:04Permalink
    I want Manhunt Remastered.
  • rob25Xrob25X479,073
    Posted on 01 October 18 at 19:25Permalink
    A new Midnight Club would be good.
  • TahooperTahooper86,849
    Posted on 01 October 18 at 20:02, Edited on 01 October 18 at 20:02 by TahooperPermalink
    Agent
  • AllOvaMyselfAllOvaMyself676,488
    Posted on 01 October 18 at 20:38Permalink
    If RDO is as successful as GTAO in bringing in the cash from microtransactions, they won't have any incentive to make new games.

They'll be the next Valve...
    Without me, it's just aweso.
  • Posted on 01 October 18 at 21:06Permalink
    Would like to see Rockstar buy the all but dead IP "The Adventures of Bayou Billy" from Konami. A game that did not live up the potential of the subject matter. Rockstar's brilliance could do something special with it.....just like they did with Red Dead Revolver from Capcom.
  • Twinkling82Twinkling82155,782
    Posted on 01 October 18 at 21:31Permalink
    ParadoxReal8 said:
    At least, I took the time to tell my own point of view about this and even if you don't share it, thanks for respecting mine.
    Of course I respect your decision, I just have a hard time understanding it. The 2 million GTAO was a perk, and did not encourage you to buy RDR2 nor did you pay for it. It was simply put a small extra bonus.

LuckyConquerer2 said:
    @Paradox, of course it won’t sell as much as GTA V. That game broke records. No one is expecting it to match it but it will be a commercial success.
    GTA V sold well because they saw the opportunity to sell on two generations of consoles which in my opinion, is a bit shady as they did not tell us they would release on the next gen when they released it on the old gen. If they had told us, how many less games would had been sold? I can imagine, quite a few.
    I will be playing video games at the retirement home when the time comes. If I can.
  • Posted on 01 October 18 at 23:38Permalink
    I'd like to see BC of some other GTA games, w/ achievements if possible. Vice City comes to mind. GTA 3 is the earliest game I've played in the series and I'd like to see what the other ones were like.

If it has a R* logo, I'll preorder, I know it's going to be well worth the money. I cannot say that about any other studio. The Arkham games were one, and Gears, but those are series, not an entire studio.
    Killin' grubs is my business and business is good.
  • Twinkling82Twinkling82155,782
    Posted on 02 October 18 at 00:47Permalink
    GTA 3 and Vice City is on PS4 - with trophies. I can't understand for the life of me why they don't release on Xbox One. Can't be timed, since it's been way more than a year. (page on the games says dec 2015)
    I will be playing video games at the retirement home when the time comes. If I can.
  • MilkysoulMilkysoul766,856
    Posted on 02 October 18 at 01:25Permalink
    Hoping for Bully 2. Then when the new systems come out, GTA 6. It'd be interesting what the next gen systems can do for a new IP though...
  • Inspector 74Inspector 74248,284
    Posted on 02 October 18 at 06:45Permalink
    RevRico420 said:
    I want a manhunt remake and bully 2.

That said, I'd much rather those games come from a developer that isn't part of the Take2 monetization uber alles family.

I still don't know of they'll survive rdr2. After all the hype and all the taunting and teasing, the scumbag tactics of locking story missions behind special editions of the game is not a positive point, and watching the deevolution of gta online I just, well, I hope gamers stand up and say "fuck you, your microtransactions, your macrotransactions, your sorry cut and paste update designs, your complete and utter lack of customization options, your constant spamming for overpriced fake money, and your attitude that gamers who don't pay for microtransactions are freeloaders."

It most likely won't happen,but a boy can dream.
    You saved me a lot of typing there hahahaha!!! Im with you im so tempted to cancel Red Dead Redemption 2 pre order when I heard about the 'extra hideout' and 'extra bank heist mission' in the 'Special editons' I still cant quite bring myself to 'cancel' I said and stuck with giving FIFA the middle finger like 6 or 7 years ago and im stubborn I stick to my guns man!!!!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.