Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Top Ten Scariest Games Available on Xbox One

• Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 15 October 18 at 13:39, Edited on 15 October 18 at 13:42 by Permalink
    Good list, Dead Space would have to be number 1 for me, followed by Condemned. Never forget those corridors.

I'd put FEAR in there if it was BC, and although its not a horror game per se, I got a big scare factor in Bioshock, I guess it's the way you play it.
  • z0rrofoxz0rrofox255,466
    Posted on 15 October 18 at 14:32Permalink
    I recently finished Resident Evil 7 and I think it definitely deserves 3rd place but would argue that it should be in second as it's more immersive that SH.

If you haven't played it because it strays too far from it's roots or whatever, you're missing out on a genuinely unsettling game.
    Like beer and want to own a part of a brewery? Buy yourself some Brewdog shares: https://www.brewdog.com/equityforpunks?referred_by=R577425
  • BlackbirdSSRBlackbirdSSR173,253
    Posted on 15 October 18 at 15:11, Edited on 15 October 18 at 15:12 by BlackbirdSSRPermalink
    Great list!!

For anyone hesitant about Dead Space, I just want to assure you that it still holds up INCREDIBLY well for a 10 year old game, even though I have owned it since release I only finished the game earlier this year...and I was so blown away I did another full playthrough. What an excellent game! A+ in my books

But my all-time favorite has got to be Evil Within. The atmosphere, confined feeling and minimal ammo made this game tense, scary and fun. Also did a 2nd playthough on this one and will probably do a 3rd soon. The DLC for this game was great as well.
    I feel like they kinda lost the formula with Evil Within 2, but this 1st one was AMAZING
  • TexicanoTexicano530,152
    Posted on 15 October 18 at 17:06Permalink
    Why is dying light on this list
  • N3croscop3N3croscop3310,859
    Posted on 15 October 18 at 17:13Permalink
    Alien isolation was so damn good! It took me 3 tries to get into it. Especially the first part is a bit long, but afterwards: holy hell! That was an immersive journey through those narrow spaceship corridors and locker rooms. Definitely in my top 5 games of all time. Deserved a GOTY title just for translating the technology of the 1970s movie into meaningful game mechanics. And this soundtrack… can't praise the game enough!
  • lugadilugadi133,058
    Posted on 15 October 18 at 17:23Permalink
    Outlast 1 is terrifying, Outlast 2 isn't even close.
    So, where do I sign?
  • Vok 250Vok 250209,492
    Posted on 15 October 18 at 20:34Permalink
    Odd to see a list like this rank Outlast 2 instead of Outlast. The sequel was a massive disappointment to fans of the genre.
  • Posted on 15 October 18 at 21:25Permalink
    BlackbirdSSR said:
    For anyone hesitant about Dead Space, I just want to assure you that it still holds up INCREDIBLY well for a 10 year old game, even though I have owned it since release I only finished the game earlier this year...and I was so blown away I did another full playthrough. What an excellent game! A+ in my books
    This is so true. I finished the game years ago and haven't touched it for a while. I started it on a local gamertag a few months back just for fun and I was amazed how well the game has aged. It's the only game I've finished from this list so far.
    Math is the only place where you can buy 60 watermelons and no one questions you.
  • GREGO McGEEGREGO McGEE2,011,952
    Posted on 15 October 18 at 21:54Permalink
    Pretty solid list, but I agree that Dying Light is far more of an action game and not really deserving of a spot. I'd sub in Layers of Fear or the O.G. FEAR games in its place.
  • sanityendssanityends335,962
    Posted on 15 October 18 at 22:15Permalink
    The Suffering OG
  • Posted on 15 October 18 at 22:17Permalink
    Im not sure why I keep playing games like these.
    I fucking hate it. But I love that specific hate.

The fine line between pissing my pants and scream like a maniac, or just enjoy all the hard work on design, visual as the sound, is minimal.

Alien, I believe, scared the shit out of me when it arrived and it took me years to even start it again.
    When I took it up again a were prepared but not enough...

I need to stop doing this to myself..
    Outlast is a fucking joke. Whoever did it should be considered a group of potential serial killers.

Evil within: I'm not sure yet. Its nuts and has an awesome atmosphere and good sound but I don't really "feel" it.
  • Posted on 15 October 18 at 22:38Permalink
    Vok 250 said:
    Odd to see a list like this rank Outlast 2 instead of Outlast. The sequel was a massive disappointment to fans of the genre.
    They have nearly identical metascores and I’ve not heard people say it’s been a massive disappointment.
  • Posted on 16 October 18 at 00:20Permalink
    I loved the trailers for the Dead Space games, especially the Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star trailer and the trailer featuring the Smashing Pumpkins, my favorite band. That said, I'm too big of a chicken to play it.
  • My DeliriumMy Delirium287,596
    Posted on 16 October 18 at 03:15Permalink
    "That" moment in Condemned criminal origins...

If they ever did a remake I hope the people behind it would convince Microsoft to allow them to make it with an achievement list of 970
  • SultryPenguinSultryPenguin1,121,493
    Posted on 16 October 18 at 06:37, Edited on 16 October 18 at 06:49 by SultryPenguinPermalink
    MrProcastinate said:
    Outlast (…) Whoever did it should be considered a group of potential serial killers.
    I found Outlast's DLC more disturbing than scary.
  • Posted on 16 October 18 at 14:10Permalink
    Crie Ingliasa said:
    no layers of fear? that game had me closing to dashboard more often than a grown man should admit, including screaming down my headset to the partychat….. loved it!
    I've been looking for someone to talk about this. Layers of Fear is by far the scariest game I've ever played, so atmospheric.
  • t3hOutlawt3hOutlaw414,907
    Posted on 16 October 18 at 14:14Permalink
    Kyl3Ruth said:
    Your buddy DEG said:
    Silent Hill 2 yes but isn't the HD collection really bad? I had several friends tell me not to touch it when it released.
    Um, no? The HD collection is better than the original with slightly improved graphics. No changes at all. You can choose to use new voices or the original voices, that's about all. I recommend picking it up, it's backwards compatible today.
    No, this isn't even remotely true.

Konami lost most of the assets to SH2 and had to fill them in as best they could.

The lighting and textures were completely off and the fog was absolutely atrocious.

Don't get me started on all the bugs that never got patched.

You only need to read this article to understand.
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-what-went-...
  • buttmudBrooksbuttmudBrooks1,055,942
    Posted on 16 October 18 at 15:07Permalink
    I wouldn't put any of these games on scariest of all time, but I finished Layers of Fear and am playing Little Nightmares at the moment. LoF had a couple of jump scares and a decent atmosphere. Little Nightmares is creepy and a great platformer.

PT on PS4 is the only scary game that has ever been able to put me off completing it. Nothing on this list comes close to that game/demo for me.
    Alien was very intense and caused me to tense up on multiple occasions but that is more due to the fact that I knew I screwed up and was about to void my no-death achievement and so on...
    Always number 2.
  • Posted on 16 October 18 at 18:29Permalink
    blueriversbeast said:
    Crie Ingliasa said:
    no layers of fear? that game had me closing to dashboard more often than a grown man should admit, including screaming down my headset to the partychat….. loved it!
    I've been looking for someone to talk about this. Layers of Fear is by far the scariest game I've ever played, so atmospheric.
    I wasn't impressed with Layers of Fear because it felt very much on-rails. I never sensed any actual danger, like every moment was entirely scripted with no fail states even possible. I did like the atmosphere and absolutely love the music though.
  • Posted on 24 October 18 at 14:12Permalink
    Crie Ingliasa said:
    Tell me. Dont ask what happened when my 3-month old son suddenly began to cry in the same room in the middle of the night at the top of his lungs...
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.