Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Like That Horror Game? Watch This Horror Movie!

AuthorMessage
SilentJay76
SilentJay76
Posted on 21 October 18 at 08:51
"Mr. Jones" sounded interesting... until I looked it up and saw that it has an IMDb average rating of 4.7 out of 10. (Which is basically avoid-at-all-costs kind of bad.)
x Mataeus x
x Mataeus x
Posted on 21 October 18 at 09:11
I love Jacob's Ladder, but from a similar period I also love In the Mouth of Madness.

"Do you read Sutter Cain?"
https://www.exophase.com/user/Mataeus
LORDOFDOOKIE69
Posted on 21 October 18 at 09:35
SilentJay76 said:
"Mr. Jones" sounded interesting... until I looked it up and saw that it has an IMDb average rating of 4.7 out of 10. (Which is basically avoid-at-all-costs kind of bad.)
Yeah I usually have a no below 6 rule when picking movies. It's rare that I like anything that ends up being lower than a 6.
JakThaRiPP3R84
Posted on 21 October 18 at 09:39
LORDOFDOOKIE69 said:
SilentJay76 said:
Yeah I usually have a no below 6 rule when picking movies. It's rare that I like anything that ends up being lower than a 6.
all found footage films have a 4.7 on imdb, because that is automatically what a found footage film gets regardless of quality. snobs don't stand much of a chance with found footage anyway.
Crater Bob
Crater Bob
Posted on 21 October 18 at 14:49
"If you liked Friday the 13th The Game, watch It Follows"

How about if you liked Friday the 13th The Game, WATCH THE MOVIE SERIES IT'S ACTUALLY BASED ON!!! angry
Gatekeeper 3-6 off your starboard wing, turn to 2-2-0 and drop to angels two or you will be fired upon!
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 21 October 18 at 15:16
Crater Bob said:
"If you liked Friday the 13th The Game, watch It Follows"

How about if you liked Friday the 13th The Game, WATCH THE MOVIE SERIES IT'S ACTUALLY BASED ON!!! angry
Sure, but that’s obvious and not in need of an article.
xLsWx
xLsWx
Posted on 21 October 18 at 15:19
V/H/S trilogy all superb horror fun...
Crater Bob
Crater Bob
Posted on 21 October 18 at 16:06
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
Did you ever stop to think that maybe some TA members aren't aware of the fact that the game is based off a decades-old movie series that some TA members weren't even alive for when the final movie was produced in the late 1990's? Like sheesh, at least give the series the game is ACTUALLY based off of an honourable mention!

This article = 0 out of 5
Gatekeeper 3-6 off your starboard wing, turn to 2-2-0 and drop to angels two or you will be fired upon!
spookyhurst
spookyhurst
Posted on 21 October 18 at 18:27
I think you would have to be living under a rock to not be aware of the Friday the 13th movies.
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 21 October 18 at 18:59
Crater Bob said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
Did you ever stop to think that maybe some TA members aren't aware of the fact that the game is based off a decades-old movie series that some TA members weren't even alive for when the final movie was produced in the late 1990's? Like sheesh, at least give the series the game is ACTUALLY based off of an honourable mention!

Friday the 13th is one of top three most iconic horror franchises of all time. People dress up as Jason every year. Anytime you see a commercial for a horror fest you’ll see him. Freddy Vs Jason was made in 2003 and another Friday the 13th was in 2009. My point is just about everyone knows the game is based off a movie series.
Necromorph11
Necromorph11
Posted on 21 October 18 at 21:55
x Mataeus x said:
I love Jacob's Ladder, but from a similar period I also love In the Mouth of Madness.

"Do you read Sutter Cain?"
one of my all time favourites, has so much Lovecraft in it, impossible not to pair it up with the Call of Cthulhu game out next week.
also Shadows of the damned-Evil Dead
unequalized joe
Posted on 22 October 18 at 04:41
Haven't played Dead by Daylight, but based on the premise, I'd have to recommend The Cabin in the Woods. The less you know about the movie going into it, the better.
Cornerscout
Cornerscout
Posted on 22 October 18 at 05:41
So much salt in this thread... laugh

Some great suggestions in this article. Some disappointing opinions in the comments though. So many people trashing good movies, or completely missing the point of the article.
You should check out my subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Gamerscore/
Maw N Paw
Maw N Paw
Posted on 22 October 18 at 08:31
Not gonna lie, I've seen some classics mentioned and I'm quite pleased that the comments have great suggestions.

Aside from the typical horror, has anyone else seen Mr Brooks?
rob25X
rob25X
Posted on 22 October 18 at 09:20
Interesting article.

The two films that came to my mind while playing Dead Space were 'Alien' and 'The Thing'.
dsp100252
dsp100252
Posted on 22 October 18 at 12:57
I LOVE Event Horizon as an all time fave, but even I feel like it has to come with a disclaimer: it came out in that sweet spot of the late 90s where all cgi effects in movies looked like hot garbage. It sadly has not aged well at all.
Kelly Hansen "dsp100252"
Crater Bob
Crater Bob
Posted on 22 October 18 at 14:26
HawkeyeBarry20 said:
Crater Bob said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:

Friday the 13th is one of top three most iconic horror franchises of all time. People dress up as Jason every year. Anytime you see a commercial for a horror fest you’ll see him. Freddy Vs Jason was made in 2003 and another Friday the 13th was in 2009. My point is just about everyone knows the game is based off a movie series.
Well then you'll be quite unpleasantly shocked to find out that most young people today actually have no idea who Jason Voorhees is or that Friday the 13th actually has a movie series. If I had a nickel for every kid who showed up in a lobby in that game that had no idea about the movies, I'd be able to fill a sock and beat the crap out of that original writer of the series who took the rights to the property back and screwed us all out of further content for the game.

Anyway, you missed my point in my original comment, if you're going to reference a movie to the game, reference the movie that the game is actually taken from.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 22 October 18 at 15:10
Crater Bob said:
HawkeyeBarry20 said:
Crater Bob said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:

Well then you'll be quite unpleasantly shocked to find out that most young people today actually have no idea who Jason Voorhees is or that Friday the 13th actually has a movie series. If I had a nickel for every kid who showed up in a lobby in that game that had no idea about the movies, I'd be able to fill a sock and beat the crap out of that original writer of the series who took the rights to the property back and screwed us all out of further content for the game.

Anyway, you missed my point in my original comment, if you're going to reference a movie to the game, reference the movie that the game is actually taken from.
Respectfully, I think you missed the point of my article. I stated in it once or twice that I would not be making direct links from game to movie within the same series. I tried making less obvious connections, with the one exception being Dawn of the Dead to Dead Rising, which is a bit different since it's just very similar conceptually and not the same series.
CRUM LEE
CRUM LEE
Posted on 22 October 18 at 16:37
Maw N Paw said:
It Follows is rubbish. Avoid it as you will be severely let down. If you are a true horror fan, anything is better than It Follows.
Wow, harsh! I thought it was a good watch :)
Onsidic
Onsidic
Posted on 22 October 18 at 20:47
BlueTiara24 said:
Like Friday the 13th? Watch Friday the 13th!
Read the article and was about to post the same thing :)
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.