Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

SOULCALIBUR VI Review

AuthorMessage
Archeim
Archeim
Posted on 26 October 18 at 13:08
I've been playing since release... having missed SC V... i really wanted a good soul calibur. So far i have one.

One issue that annoys me is the freaking load time. even on an xbox one x.

Otherwise the game is gorgeous, i'm working through libra of soul with an "Astaroth-esque" character as he and Taki are my mainstays.

Havent tried vs. yet so cant say anything about that.
WJS Osiris
WJS Osiris
Posted on 26 October 18 at 16:30, Edited on 26 October 18 at 16:44 by WJS Osiris
Load times in libra of souls is an issue that deserves to be mentioned in the negatives portion. There is no reason why the battles couldn't have been loading in the background while its giving you the text based dialog.

Lastly speeding up everyones movement seems to have made a few of the ranged fighters op. Siegfried seems to be the worst offender.

Saying all that its still a great game so far and worthy of the score it was given.
SE6A K1N6
SE6A K1N6
Posted on 26 October 18 at 16:57
Evandalist said:
TheGreatKoala said:
The gameplay is great, don't care about the story and all that
This.

Anybody who buys a fighting game for its story is just fucking weird to me. Same with people who buy FPS games for their campaigns. Even at their absolute best both of those genres still only manage to produce derivative, cliched, easily forgotten stories by and large. Both genres have been around for nearly 30 years now and I'm struggling to think of one from either genre whose story wowed me. People who are serious about either genre pretty much only buy them for online multiplayer.
I buy them for local mp.
FDRWilson
FDRWilson
Posted on 26 October 18 at 18:24
Archeim said:
I've been playing since release... having missed SC V... i really wanted a good soul calibur. So far i have one.

One issue that annoys me is the freaking load time. even on an xbox one x.

Otherwise the game is gorgeous, i'm working through libra of soul with an "Astaroth-esque" character as he and Taki are my mainstays.

Havent tried vs. yet so cant say anything about that.
The game feels like it was rushed out and poor optimized for the system it's playing on. Some have said they don't care about the story. For me I like having a good story to get involved in. It's an extra level of entertainment and enjoyment to see these characters come to life and explain the world they exist in. It adds more to the characters aside from just being sprites jumping around the screen. It doesn't have to be long story that drones on it just has to be a good story that gets to the point and doesn't bore the crap out of me. All in all I feel cheated by this game. They charged full price for a game that has broken multiplayer, a boring story played out by pictures that just change change facial expressions and takes forever just to load up a match when nothing has really changed in terms of game play over the past 10 years. I'm just at a loss for how bad this turned out.
Arron114
Arron114
Posted on 26 October 18 at 18:30, Edited on 26 October 18 at 18:32 by Arron114
Evandalist said:
TheGreatKoala said:
This.

Anybody who buys a fighting game for its story is just fucking weird to me. Same with people who buy FPS games for their campaigns. Even at their absolute best both of those genres still only manage to produce derivative, cliched, easily forgotten stories by and large. Both genres have been around for nearly 30 years now and I'm struggling to think of one from either genre whose story wowed me. People who are serious about either genre pretty much only buy them for online multiplayer.
The story in SC/SB has been genre defining since the start and is a bit of a side-step away from the traditional fighting game story telling. It has been progressive for some time.and explains why the characters that are in it, are in it.

You comment reads like a clown.

P.s
I have played every fighting game on both MS systems. And if you didn't take some interest in games like Naruto or Xenoverse - you lessen the experience.

I'd also like to know how resident evil 7, alien isolation and BioShock would be considered derived stories off the top of my head.

Sweeping statements make for poor reading.
truenoch
truenoch
Posted on 26 October 18 at 21:00, Edited on 29 October 18 at 00:31 by truenoch
As someone who has completed the game, as it stands now I would give the game a 5 or 6 out of 10. Most of the content is directly ported from Soul Calibur 4 and 5 but with much less content. In fact almost every facet of the Creation mode is copy/pasted from them, just with hundreds of items missing. What is new here like the two characters and music, are substandard and boring. Groh is like an anime/Tekken character with no place in SC and Azwell is a generic boss type character. The story modes are horrible, bad writing and too much nonsensical text, and retconning lame Groh and other made up stuff into past storylines is offensive to fans of the series.

The Reversal Edge and Soul Charge and returning Critical Edge additions are bad and take you out of the action, introducing cutaways cutscenes galore to matches and lots of randomness. I played hundreds of matches online in SC4 (and a good amount in the worse 5) but 6 is just not fun to play competitively because of the new mechanics.

Not to mention there a ton of online issues rendering the online achievements unobtainable to many gamers (there is a fix by factory resetting your console, but may not work for everyone) and buggy achievements.

Take a look at this thread for the issue I'm having. The completion is a boring grind and the final achievement glitched on me.
Warning, final "Get all" achievement is buggy! Won't pop.
Crimson Drifter
Posted on 27 October 18 at 03:12
Im surprised no one has mentioned giant lizard penis yet
Your achievements are belong to us!
FDRWilson
FDRWilson
Posted on 27 October 18 at 03:24, Edited on 27 October 18 at 03:24 by FDRWilson
Not having to fight that is the only upside of not being able to connect to multiplayer. Though there is also a giant cube to deal with online (though that might be only on the pc).
Evandalist
Evandalist
Posted on 27 October 18 at 05:04, Edited on 27 October 18 at 05:21 by Evandalist
Arron114 said:
Evandalist said:
TheGreatKoala said:
This.

The story in SC/SB has been genre defining since the start and is a bit of a side-step away from the traditional fighting game story telling. It has been progressive for some time.and explains why the characters that are in it, are in it.

You comment reads like a clown.

P.s
I have played every fighting game on both MS systems. And if you didn't take some interest in games like Naruto or Xenoverse - you lessen the experience.

I'd also like to know how resident evil 7, alien isolation and BioShock would be considered derived stories off the top of my head.

Sweeping statements make for poor reading.
RE7 and Alien : Isolation are survival horror games, not FPS games. Bioshock is one of the tiny fraction of FPS games with a decent story. Even if you counted the 2 survival horror games you mentioned you managed to come up with 3 examples for 30+ years of the genre existing. That's an average of one decent story per decade, so congrats, I guess? But let's not pretend RE7 or Alien have original stories like Bioshock does because they don't. They're quite clearly derivative of the works of others in the horror genre who came before them and told better stories, hence my use of the word in my OP.

And pretty much all fighting games' characters have backstories as to why they're participating in the fighting tournament. Simply having a backstory doesn't automatically make a fighting game's "story" good. It's simply a reason for the characters to fight and, again, it's always derivative and cliched : I'm fighting for muh vengeance, or muh honor, or muh respect, etc... It's all idiotic and simplistic. Nobody who seriously plays fighting games online buys them for their stories. Ask any EVO participant or spectator to sum up the story of Street Fighter V or Mortal Kombat X to you and you'll get silence. Because half of them never even touched story mode and the other half couldn't make heads of tails of the story because they're all so boring and contradictory of one another. (Go look at the story of MK 9 and then MK X and compare the two for a crash course in horrible, contradictory writing that just makes shit up as it goes. Then remember that these two games are often held up as examples of the pinnacle of storytelling in the genre.)
Here lies a trite quote from somebody in history you might recognize. It's delightfully witty, yet concurrently incisive, and not at all pretentious.
BrutalPandaX
BrutalPandaX
Posted on 28 October 18 at 05:20, Edited on 28 October 18 at 05:21 by BrutalPandaX
I love this game. Glad SC is back. Not glad people aren't buying it and some fans are hating on it for no good reason. This serious is done-zo if this one flops and yet it's one of the top fighters available.
Fooga
Fooga
Posted on 06 November 18 at 20:44, Edited on 06 November 18 at 20:45 by Fooga
Evandalist said:
TheGreatKoala said:
This.

The only fighting game stories I somewhat enjoy are the NetherRealm games. They’re certainly cheesy, but they’re ridiculous enough to where I’m enticed to finish them. But you’re right. At the end of the day, I buy those games to compete in local tournaments.

You want a bad fighting game story? FighterZ delivers that experience tenfold. laugh
JCDRANZER
JCDRANZER
Posted on 07 November 18 at 10:48
Can't play online since launch, it's worse than 5 because of that alone.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.