Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Spyro Reignited Trilogy Will Not Be Entirely On Disc

AuthorMessage
R3APER 0F G0DS
Posted on 03 November 18 at 03:28
bunch of people upset over nothing. physical copies are for sitting on shelf to show your collection. who gives a dam about what content is on the disk. Everyone has internet do download the rest of the content. So many games have updates at or near launch, makes no difference.
r3aper 0f gods
Predefiance
Predefiance
Posted on 03 November 18 at 06:40
But why? I'm curious as to why they decided to do it that way. Baffling.
Protocol Droid
Protocol Droid
Posted on 03 November 18 at 11:52
bargain bin purchase down the road now... instead of paying full price....
MC PHILABUSTA
MC PHILABUSTA
Posted on 03 November 18 at 11:53, Edited on 03 November 18 at 11:54 by MC PHILABUSTA
This is kind of absurd I expect all 3 games on a physical copy ! (Crash did it)!! Btw lots of games still like to buy physical games , I'll buy them untill they aren't available.
Moo Moo Dairy
Moo Moo Dairy
Posted on 03 November 18 at 12:58
No issue here

People still buying discs are living in the past....

Do you people still carry around cds to listen to music? Do you people not use streaming services to watch your video content?

Digital > physical in literally every way
BlackxRyan
BlackxRyan
Posted on 03 November 18 at 13:13
Moo Moo Dairy said:
Thanks for the laugh.
Pris
Pris
Posted on 03 November 18 at 14:02
Whilst the future maybe digital the pricing is completely wrong for it. RDR2 is 59.99 digital but I bought it for 42.99 physical. It is completely backwards.

Staying on topic if I buy a physical version of the game I expect that game to be fully on the disc. If I bought a DVD and only 20 minutes of it were on the disc and the rest I had to download it would be returned immediately. I understand updates and DLC have to be downloaded but there is no excuse for it not to be on disc.
tpb fan
tpb fan
Posted on 03 November 18 at 14:32
Moo Moo Dairy said:
No issue here

Do you people still carry around cds to listen to music? Do you people not use streaming services to watch your video content?

1. not all music is on streaming service also songs get removed if deals expire 2 cd are better audio then mp3s. 3. video on disc is higher quality then streamed bc streamed is compressed
MUFFINTAST1C
95,581 95,581 GamerScore
MUFFINTAST1C
Posted on 03 November 18 at 16:57, Edited on 03 November 18 at 16:58 by MUFFINTAST1C
Moo Moo Dairy said:
How? At least if the digital content goes down or gets removed you've still got it on disc. Guess someone didn't have their coffee this morning..laugh
anthonyd46
anthonyd46
Posted on 03 November 18 at 19:27
R3APER 0F G0DS said:
bunch of people upset over nothing. physical copies are for sitting on shelf to show your collection. who gives a dam about what content is on the disk. Everyone has internet do download the rest of the content. So many games have updates at or near launch, makes no difference.
Thats such a wrong assumption. There is so many parts of the the united states and rest of the world with crappy internet.

Also I don't agree with discs as living in the past. The biggest problem I have with Digital is THEY set the market, they set the sales, and if I don't like something I'm stuck with it. If the content gets removed and I never bought it tough luck. Yes, if its a "rare" disc game it might be expensive to buy at that point, but least the disc exists for me to buy. However, if something got delisted I can never buy it and play it unless I had a friend that happen to buy it and lets me play it on their ID and/or console. If I don't have that its tough luck.

The digital pricing also is ridicolous. Example NBA 2k17 on the 360 $60 digital $30 new at gamestop ($20 used, can be found on ebay for sub $10) thats just insane.
MetalGearMark
MetalGearMark
Posted on 04 November 18 at 01:04
At this point, a physical disk is nothing more than a token that grants you access to the digital version of a game. You wouldn’t even have to insert the disk to play if you hadn’t all cried so hard about DRM when the XB1 was originally announced.
RadiantViper
RadiantViper
Posted on 04 November 18 at 02:00, Edited on 04 November 18 at 02:02 by RadiantViper
MetalGearMark said:
At this point, a physical disk is nothing more than a token that grants you access to the digital version of a game. You wouldn’t even have to insert the disk to play if you hadn’t all cried so hard about DRM when the XB1 was originally announced.
Potential customers voicing their concerns =/= crying. Stop being anti-consumer rights.
SwordofWhedon
SwordofWhedon
Posted on 04 November 18 at 04:51
@tpb fan

Not that I disagree with your overall point, but every movie on disc after laserdisc is compressed. And people with standards listen to CD and greater quality music on portable devices all the time without a disc, but I certainly don’t accept compromised quality on something I pay money for.

LD was a digital representation of an analog waveform like CD, in this case the NTSC analog transmission. It still supported compressed audio formats likewise stored as an analog signal (just like a modem works)

Not even the raw data on a digital film camera is captured uncompressed. The storage requirements are ludicrous. SD analog video uncompressed can be a Gigabyte a Minute. Now think about 4k. HDMI 2.0 supports 18Gb/sec for a reason.

Compression isn’t a bad thing, as long as it’s lossless compression, or something designed to be so close it doesn’t matter.

Fun fact, Thr movies you see in theaters are JPEG2000 format, but unlike home media, and much more like LD, each individual frame, instead of about 1 in 5 is stored complete. The subsequent frames are recreated by mapping their changes on DVD and Blu-Ray.
MetalGearMark
MetalGearMark
Posted on 04 November 18 at 11:33
RadiantViper said:
MetalGearMark said:
Potential customers voicing their concerns =/= crying. Stop being anti-consumer rights.
Whoa, I’m a consumer too y’know. If you were there at the time you couldn’t have missed it. They were screaming and crying like kids with skinned knees with barely a cohesively voiced concern among them.
MetalGearMark
MetalGearMark
Posted on 04 November 18 at 11:44
MUFFINTAST1C said:
Moo Moo Dairy said:
How? At least if the digital content goes down or gets removed you've still got it on disc. Guess someone didn't have their coffee this morning..laugh
Digital content is removed from the store all the time but is still playable. Customers still have access to purchases after removal. For example, I can still download the original XB360 version of UNO.

Although I don’t think it has happened yet, if you’re talking about content being ‘blocked’ then I’m pretty sure that physical OR digital, as soon as you insert your disk it’ll be blocked anyway.
tpb fan
tpb fan
Posted on 05 November 18 at 14:49
SwordofWhedon said:
@tpb fan

Not that I disagree with your overall point, but every movie on disc after laserdisc is compressed. And people with standards listen to CD and greater quality music on portable devices all the time without a disc, but I certainly don’t accept compromised quality on something I pay money for.

LD was a digital representation of an analog waveform like CD, in this case the NTSC analog transmission. It still supported compressed audio formats likewise stored as an analog signal (just like a modem works)

Not even the raw data on a digital film camera is captured uncompressed. The storage requirements are ludicrous. SD analog video uncompressed can be a Gigabyte a Minute. Now think about 4k. HDMI 2.0 supports 18Gb/sec for a reason.

Compression isn’t a bad thing, as long as it’s lossless compression, or something designed to be so close it doesn’t matter.

Fun fact, Thr movies you see in theaters are JPEG2000 format, but unlike home media, and much more like LD, each individual frame, instead of about 1 in 5 is stored complete. The subsequent frames are recreated by mapping their changes on DVD and Blu-Ray.
true both are compressed but off the disc is allways higher quality for movies https://www.whathifi.com/features/4k-streaming-vs-4k-blu-ray...
TheGreatKoala
TheGreatKoala
Posted on 05 November 18 at 16:00
NO1KEV said:
YDejected Santa said:
Then what's the point of even buying physically? Might as well go digital on this one
Um cos where i live retail is ALWAYS cheaper than digital and i can sell it when im done
It's not just where you live, retail is cheaper 99.999999% of the time even when digital is on sale. Except CeX, they're always more expensive cos their rip off merchants.

Only time I buy digital is when I game share with my brother, and even then that is when I am certain the game is worth it
TheGreatKoala
TheGreatKoala
Posted on 05 November 18 at 16:03
Fanta Morgana said:
Firebird22x said:
Updates aside, where do all of you live that the physical edition is cheaper than digital?
Physical isn't cheaper at launch in most cases,
All supermarkets sell games roughly £5 cheaper on launch.

I've never seen a game at launch where physical and digital weren't the same price
Then you've never actually looked.
RadiantViper
RadiantViper
Posted on 05 November 18 at 19:59
MetalGearMark said:
RadiantViper said:
MetalGearMark said:
Whoa, I’m a consumer too y’know. If you were there at the time you couldn’t have missed it. They were screaming and crying like kids with skinned knees with barely a cohesively voiced concern among them.
Yeah, no. They voiced their concern with the idea and Microsoft realized they had to pivot. You really think a multi billion dollar company would change the plans on their next big video game console because some people were crying?
Vitiated1
Vitiated1
Posted on 07 November 18 at 04:04
So here's the issue: Right now, nobody on Xbox One can launch any digital games that they purchased because Xbox Live is down. It's purely anti-consumer and a huge hassle, particularly for those who paid $60+ for games like RDR 2 less than a week ago. So what happens in a decade when the Xbox Two is out and what we're using now is no longer supported by Microsoft? We pay $40 for Spyro now, and can't go back and play 2 of the games when there's another server outage? I can plug in a PS1 or PS2 right now and play the original games, regardless of whether or not Sony servers are in operation.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.