Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Call of Cthulhu Review

• Posted on 05 November 18 at 11:34Permalink
    For Lovecraft fans and no one else

Please click here to read the story: Call of Cthulhu Review
  • Legohead 1977Legohead 19771,009,324
    Posted on 05 November 18 at 11:57Permalink
    I'm not sure I really get Lovecraft, so I don't think this is one I'll be rushing to get.
    Legohead 1977
  • Posted on 05 November 18 at 12:00Permalink
    I very much enjoyed the story and atmosphere of the game. I found (my) ending abrupt and unsatisfying. The constant hand gesticulations of the characters you are speaking too quickly became comedic and annoying. Plus those load times....... I'm playing on an original Xbox One and the loads times were atrocious.

Overall I enjoyed my time in the game but thinking about replaying it to go after my missing achievements feels like a chore at the moment.
  • Posted on 05 November 18 at 12:02Permalink
    The visuals are shockingly bad. Looks like a souped up 360 game. But I like everything else so far. I definitely agree if you're a fan of Lovecraft you'll get some enjoyment out of this.
  • Posted on 05 November 18 at 12:03Permalink
    I will play this event without polish. Dark Corners of the Earth on the original XBOX was one of the best games on the system, but just like this it lacked a bit of polish.
  • Maw N PawMaw N Paw524,066
    Posted on 05 November 18 at 12:36Permalink
    Graphics don't make a game in my opinion so this is still one to do.
    There is always a way.
  • OnsidicOnsidic805,356
    Posted on 05 November 18 at 12:58Permalink
    Legohead 1977 said:
    I'm not sure I really get Lovecraft, so I don't think this is one I'll be rushing to get.
    Do an Insanity check! (d20)
  • Posted on 05 November 18 at 13:13Permalink
    Legohead 1977 said:
    Haha, I feel the same way.
  • LagDotComLagDotCom314,576
    Posted on 05 November 18 at 14:21Permalink
    Definitely going to pick this up despite the flaws, but it won't be soon.
  • Vok 250Vok 250208,205
    Posted on 05 November 18 at 15:49Permalink
    3/5 doesn't bode well around here, but I don't think I can completely ignore that Lovecraft lore. I'll probably pick it up in a deepwink sale.
  • Posted on 05 November 18 at 16:02Permalink
    3/5 isn't even a bad score. Not everything needs to be a 4 or 4.5/5 to warrant a purchase.
  • Posted on 05 November 18 at 16:13Permalink
    The SCHWARTZ 00 said:
    3/5 isn't even a bad score. Not everything needs to be a 4 or 4.5/5 to warrant a purchase.
    Absolutely agree, but I’m not paying $60 for a 3/5 unless I was a major fan.
  • Cellar AtticCellar Attic448,098
    Posted on 05 November 18 at 16:18Permalink
    Damn. I had higher hopes for this title. I'll still get this and probably enjoy it for no other reason than the lore, but I'll definitely be waiting for a sale.
  • PARAcainPARAcain346,028
    Posted on 05 November 18 at 17:19Permalink
    As a Lovecraft fan I adored it. Visuals when talking to anyone was quite funny and hard to take seriously. Just wished there was more detective areas
    ~ King Para
  • Rista BRista B444,097
    Posted on 05 November 18 at 17:51Permalink
    I had much higher hopes for this one so between the visuals and the not so great game play and the need to play through it multiple times...moving along to other games.
    Remember Philando Castile, a fellow gamer, a human being, Rest in Peace
  • Posted on 05 November 18 at 18:16Permalink
    Is this Agony version of sherlock Holmes hhhhh
  • ShizblackaShizblacka1,116,225
    Posted on 05 November 18 at 19:20Permalink
    This game was so weird. It was gorgeous at times, then not and janky at others. It was super slow and the story was very convoluted yet I was sucked in. I enjoyed my time with it but 3 or 3.5 out of 5 is definitely appropriate.
  • Azrael008ukAzrael008uk217,825
    Posted on 05 November 18 at 21:00Permalink
    They patched the XBox version a couple of days ago to fix a number of issues.

I'd finished the game the day before.

At times the game did look a little muddy, but nowhere near as bad as "Bioshock Infinate".

The further you go in the game the better it looks and hopefully after this 2nd patch stuff has been tweaked a bit.

Most people have heard of "Cthulhu" but they don't know why and they don't even know who Lovecraft is.

Don't avoid this game because you're unfamiliar with Lovecraft. Instead play it. Enjoy something that will surprise you. Just make the choices you want to make. Roleplay. It's fun.

You can accomplish things in very different ways. There are usually different ways to do something and sometimes there are 3 or even 4 ways to complete a task.

This is a very good game though. I couldn't stop playing it all the way through. At 8 hours, not really rushing and doing my best to explore it could be accused of being a little on the short side but you'll definitely want to have at least a 2nd playthrough if not more.

Focus and Cyanide deserve our pennies for making a great game like this while the "big" studios thank us for their success with Microtransactions and Season Passes.
  • ElyohElyoh791,411
    Posted on 05 November 18 at 21:38Permalink
    Azrael008uk said:
    They patched the XBox version a couple of days ago to fix a number of issues.

I'd finished the game the day before.

At times the game did look a little muddy, but nowhere near as bad as "Bioshock Infinate".

The further you go in the game the better it looks and hopefully after this 2nd patch stuff has been tweaked a bit.
    Are more patches in the works? Are they likely to fix the game up to a more polished state? The game does interest me, but I'd prefer to wait if the devs are likely to fix it up a bit first.
    No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 05 November 18 at 22:19, Edited on 05 November 18 at 22:31 by Permalink
    Depends on the achievement difficulty for me. My experience with Cthulhu is the South Park when Cartman aligns with Cthulhu and then betrays him. laugh
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.