Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Mouse and Keyboard Support Coming for Xbox One Next Week

AuthorMessage
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 11 November 18 at 16:29
IAteA11ThePies said:
Lockie said:
x Mataeus x said:
Iggsy81 said:
Eurydace said:
As I've noted in the article, this only matters for high ranked play. Epic has also confirmed that PC players don't statistically do better than console players.
Yeah, nah. I don't care what you heard, it's a massive advantage for everyone of every skill level. Interested to see how this plays out in Halo Infinite. We're all gonna have to migrate to kb and mouse, methinx.
I have years of PC and console experience, and I'm way better with a controller.
I'm the same! That's why my PC lies neglected for any games other than RTS. My aim with mouse sucks lol but good mouse players will always beat good controller players imo just because of the extra finesse it allows.
I find that with mkb it is far too easy to be crazy accurate in shooting games. To Jump off something, do a 900° spin and shoot someone a distance awa between the eyes. With a controller this insanely unrealistic accuracy is tempered, you can still play well but it is harder for everyone to have superhero like reflexes and accuracy. It's more representative of real world aim times etc.
And this is representative of the average player? It’s not even representative of the best players.
dshaw88
dshaw88
Posted on 11 November 18 at 16:38
I know people like to argue about whether or not this gives gamers an unfair advantage, but this is really good news for gamers with disabilities who can't use a regular controller.
Anxsighety
Anxsighety
Posted on 11 November 18 at 17:11
Eurydace said:
Billy Floor said:
Hopefully there will be options to opt out of the networking pool of people that use mouse & keyboard, will give a massive advantage over people who use controller.
As I've noted in the article, this only matters for high ranked play. Epic has also confirmed that PC players don't statistically do better than console players.
Epics stats are also flawed here - overall, any person with an ounce of skill is better off with mouse/keyboard in Fortnite. It makes building and editing a breeze. Building on console has come a long way, but editing is still a totally different game compared to PC
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 11 November 18 at 17:21
xSRYANx said:
Eurydace said:
Billy Floor said:
Hopefully there will be options to opt out of the networking pool of people that use mouse & keyboard, will give a massive advantage over people who use controller.
Epics stats are also flawed here - overall, any person with an ounce of skill is better off with mouse/keyboard in Fortnite. It makes building and editing a breeze. Building on console has come a long way, but editing is still a totally different game compared to PC
Why are they flawed?
Zukape
Zukape
Posted on 11 November 18 at 17:54
Just checked on offical sims 4 forums, they are also going to release mouse support on Sims 4.dance
SneakingD0nutZ
Posted on 11 November 18 at 18:01
Not super excited for this, but realistically I probably won't notice the implementation. If I do I won't be the only one, and people will complain. Just hoping it doesn't come to that.
CReaper210
CReaper210
Posted on 11 November 18 at 19:16
Does anyone know if we can use our mouse/keyboard connected to PC with the Xbox/Windows streaming?

I think this is awesome and I definitely plan on using it, primarily for strategy games. Really hoping Stellaris in particular gets support for it whenever it releases.

And of course, this opens up some opportunities for games like Age of Empires on Xbox. However, I wonder if there is a policy that prevents a game to have only M/KB support only. I doubt it, since we had kinect only games at some point, but this may be different.
Elyoh
Elyoh
Posted on 11 November 18 at 19:24
Presicion works better with a mouse, movement works better with controllers. I'm not that worried.
No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
MagicalChild
MagicalChild
Posted on 11 November 18 at 20:10
I hope that gets implemented for all previously released games. Then I could finally complete Zuma. I really suck at playing this with a controller. laugh
I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!
Seitzz
Seitzz
Posted on 11 November 18 at 21:21
Cannot wait for this. Keyboard and mouse is just so much better for certain games over others. It will be nice for some single player games.
DarkwraithCurt
Posted on 11 November 18 at 22:06
I feel like given the weapons and play style of gears it's an odd game to use as a comparison. From my personal experience of playing overwatch on both consoles, I do about equally well with characters like soldier 76 and roadhog on both. My games with precision characters like McCree and Widowmaker were always FAR better on PC. I had a hard time getting used to keyboard movement, but snap precision aiming with a mouse is leagues beyond what a controller could ever achieve.

I'd say games (or specific weapons within a game) that use hitscan give mouse a far bigger advantage than projectile.
Ink Splitter
Ink Splitter
Posted on 12 November 18 at 03:17
If they change the aim mechanic on current games it’d awesome and better than third party adapters such as XIM. I am very excited to try it out alll i want is them adding more compatible game like R6 Siege, Battlefield V, Call Of Duty, Overwatch, Destiny 2, Halo MCC etc.
Living Legends
Posted on 12 November 18 at 06:53, Edited on 12 November 18 at 06:54 by Living Legends
Yeah it can change some experience but honestly people put way more thought into it. I wonder how much of the population of gamers are going to change over to keyboards and mouse? I think it would be a small group of gamers kinda like us achievement hunters
Stinky Big Buds
Posted on 12 November 18 at 14:58
I'm not to fussed I don't think, the only problem will be the uncertainty, was it because they were better/quicker than me or is it because they have an advantage with mkb??

People are already using controllers with paddles etc, that offers a huge advantage, I don't really see the difference.
MustaPastori
MustaPastori
Posted on 12 November 18 at 15:00
Any suggestions on how to comfortably play with kb+m on a couch? Mine has wide and flat armrests but even then it is kinda uncomfortable. Also having to keep the keyboard on your lap is not that good. And that picture doesn't look tempting either.

What are Xbox Insiders? Everyone gets the patch but only those on that super secret club can actually use kb+m in games? headspin
Pris
Pris
Posted on 12 November 18 at 18:16
Like others have stated as long as Keyboard and Mouse players have separate lobbies im not against this.

Keyboard and Mouse is far superior to the controller though in my experience. On PC I would say Im actually good at Rainbow and Overwatch however on console I would say Im average at best. On a controller i just cant aim as quick as I want but on PC it just feels natural.
Elite1111111111
Posted on 12 November 18 at 18:33, Edited on 12 November 18 at 18:36 by Elite1111111111
Really didn't like that Gears 4 experiment. The specific note I found is "Windows 10 and Xbox players had closely-matched results when comparing Average KD, Score and Kills per match based on skill ratings."

Well, yes, if you're looking at peoples' skill ratings I'd hope they'd have similar stats. That's how skill ratings are supposed to work.

Granted, maybe I'm reading that wrong. However, it seems like more useful info would be what percentage of users (per platform) are in each skill bracket.

Pris said:
Keyboard and Mouse is far superior to the controller though in my experience.
Depends on the genre (generally). Platformers, for example, tend to play better with a controller.
Dakrkplayer2
Dakrkplayer2
Posted on 12 November 18 at 21:32
They now need K&M only games. Like in way of AOE.
.XBOX 4 LIFE. https://www.change.org/petitions/to-tell-microsoft-to-make-self-published-live-able-games-on-windows-phone-and-windows-8-and-tell-deve
PsiScream
PsiScream
Posted on 13 November 18 at 04:34, Edited on 13 November 18 at 04:36 by PsiScream
To me the kbm/controller debate is pretty similar to the automatic/manual transmission debate. Even before the advent of 8, 9 and 10 speed automatic transmissions, people would go to their graves saying that a manual transmission was faster. Now, that might be true for the 1% of drivers who can actually make use of it, but for the other 99% of average Joe's and Jill's out there, the automatic allows you to just floor it and will handily beat most average drivers with a stick shift.

Same applies here. Unless there is a significant degree of autoaim, or artificial lag, or other software compensation, the accuracy of a controller simply cannot compete with a mouse for the average person. Can the best controller gamers in the world hold their own when mixed with a random pool of PC players? Sure. But then try a contest of the best players in the world, half using kbm and half using controller and see what happens.
CRISTIAMUZ
CRISTIAMUZ
Posted on 17 November 18 at 23:48
oh man, incoming salt lol
Twitch.Tv/Zemidek
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.