Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Maybe JRPGs Aren't Dying After All

• EurydaceEurydace602,379
  • LV 1 Blue SlimeLV 1 Blue Slime1,194,340
    Posted on 11 November 18 at 18:27
    Uh oh, the alien invasion has started. Looks like they replaced the newshounds first.
    "Slutty outfit? You're one to talk." "This isn't slutty, it's strategically placed."
  • Posted on 11 November 18 at 18:50
    I'm not sure citing a bunch of remastered rpgs or re releases qualifies as breathing new life into a genre.
    https://mixer.com/StreamFamily
  • New ParalyzerNew Paralyzer1,176,114
  • Jay InsomniakJay Insomniak1,200,104
    Posted on 11 November 18 at 19:11
    You wrong about something? Honestly big shock right now! shock
    My favourite colour is red
  • Posted on 11 November 18 at 19:17
    LV 1 Blue Slime said:
    Uh oh, the alien invasion has started. Looks like they replaced the newshounds first.
    HAHAHAHA. Seriously.
    Hola
  • Posted on 11 November 18 at 19:20
    I just LOVE FF games and i got my wish FF 13 - FF 13-2 -Lightning returns BC....clap
  • UnrehearsedUnrehearsed942,066
    Posted on 11 November 18 at 19:27
    Stream Family said:
    I'm not sure citing a bunch of remastered rpgs or re releases qualifies as breathing new life into a genre.
    True but he's not wrong, the listed games are just bad examples. Look at Shining Resonance Refrain (very niche jrpg) , the late port of Nier Automata, Monster Hunter World released on the same day.
    The game that truly changed the outlook for me was in fact Valkyria of the Azure Revolution, while the game was pretty terrible it released on Xbox and brought us the brilliant VC 4. We'll also get Code Vein when it releases, and I guess a lot more from Bamco, Capcom and SE.

Kingdom Hearts III on the other hand will fail so spectacular in Xbox that it might not release on it at all, I don't understand why SE and Microsoft are pushing this Xbox PR for it so hard, it's just laughable.
  • LV 1 Blue SlimeLV 1 Blue Slime1,194,340
    Posted on 11 November 18 at 19:34, Edited on 11 November 18 at 19:34 by LV 1 Blue Slime
    Unrehearsed said:
    Stream Family said:
    True but he's not wrong, the listed games are just bad examples. Look at Shining Resonance Refrain (very niche jrpg) , the late port of Nier Automata, Monster Hunter World released on the same day.
    The game that truly changed the outlook for me was in fact Valkyria of the Azure Revolution, while the game was pretty terrible it released on Xbox and brought us the brilliant VC 4. We'll also get Code Vein when it releases, and I guess a lot more from Bamco, Capcom and SE.

Kingdom Hearts III on the other hand will fail so spectacular in Xbox that it might not release on it at all, I don't understand why SE and Microsoft are pushing this Xbox PR for it so hard, it's just laughable.
    Anima and the sequel, Sword Art Online, Battle Chasers, Romancing Saga, Earthlock, Stranger of Sword City, Infinite Adventures, Xuan-Yuan and Ys Origins. Also Kemco has ported a few of their JRPGs to the One as well. The ones OP named are probably the more well-known ones, but there's plenty out there.
    "Slutty outfit? You're one to talk." "This isn't slutty, it's strategically placed."
  • Posted on 11 November 18 at 19:35
    i still remember when you hyped up shadow warrior 2 and that turned out to be hot garbage
    Bvn
  • xLsWxxLsWx1,027,818
    Posted on 11 November 18 at 19:40
    Unrehearsed said:
    Stream Family said:

You ruined it with that last statement - having a jRPG of this calibre on the system is such a great thing. It will sell by the bucket tonne - one of my saddest issues with the xbox brand is its lack of jRPGs - the KH saga is potentially one of the most profitable alongside FF
  • Posted on 11 November 18 at 19:47
    LV 1 Blue Slime said:
    I've read worse fanfic.
  • UnrehearsedUnrehearsed942,066
    Posted on 11 November 18 at 19:48
    xLsWx said:
    Unrehearsed said:
    Stream Family said:

You ruined it with that last statement - having a jRPG of this calibre on the system is such a great thing. It will sell by the bucket tonne - one of my saddest issues with the xbox brand is its lack of jRPGs - the KH saga is potentially one of the most profitable alongside FF
    Just because it's a big name doesn't mean it'll be a success. Don't get me wrong, KH is one if my favorite franchises but this is also the problem. It's a franchise spanning 7 mainline titles over nearly 20 years, it's really big and has a largely expanded, complex story that most people don't even fully get when they've played all the games in the series. I don't expect it to fail on Xbox because I think it's bad, no it'll be a great game, but it will turn a lot of people down because there's no way to play the seven games that came before on Xbox.
    If Microsoft would've put serious commitment into this, they would've arranged a possibility with SE to put out the collections of the previous games on Xbox.
  • QuemandanteQuemandante1,111,667
    Posted on 11 November 18 at 19:53
    Better late than never
    Posted on 11 November 18 at 20:05
    BaronVoNewman said:
    i still remember when you hyped up shadow warrior 2 and that turned out to be hot garbage
    I’m not the one that made you grind it for like 18 hours straight laugh
  • TiagoCostaTiagoCosta221,412
    Posted on 11 November 18 at 20:08, Edited on 11 November 18 at 20:08 by TiagoCosta
    Sony has the KH collections money hat, MS can't do anything about it until KH3 releases. (confirmed in the latest E3 sony press conference)

I want to see are games like Persona, Catherine Full Body (I'm aware it's not a jrpg, I played the first version but you guys get what I mean), Yakuza games, Shenmue 3 (again another sony money hat, hopefully the timed deal isn't long).

Stuff like the next mainline Tales of, nier can't skip xbox etc
    Posted on 11 November 18 at 20:09
    Jay Insomniak said:
    You wrong about something? Honestly big shock right now! shock
    I aim to please.
    Posted on 11 November 18 at 20:10
    Stream Family said:
    That’s for a different article! All I said is they aren’t dead after all laugh
  • OkayEAOkayEA187,158
    Posted on 11 November 18 at 20:41
    This is great, and I'm so glad that you even mentioned Octopath Traveler! It's easily my favourite RPG of 2018.
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant742,091
    Posted on 11 November 18 at 20:57
    Unrehearsed said:
    xLsWx said:
    Unrehearsed said:
    Stream Family said:

Just because it's a big name doesn't mean it'll be a success. Don't get me wrong, KH is one if my favorite franchises but this is also the problem. It's a franchise spanning 7 mainline titles over nearly 20 years, it's really big and has a largely expanded, complex story that most people don't even fully get when they've played all the games in the series. I don't expect it to fail on Xbox because I think it's bad, no it'll be a great game, but it will turn a lot of people down because there's no way to play the seven games that came before on Xbox.
    If Microsoft would've put serious commitment into this, they would've arranged a possibility with SE to put out the collections of the previous games on Xbox.
    Nail on the head. KH3 interests me but I fear being lost. All the players familiar with the series have made the same warnings.

@Eury, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCISDpKuaIE
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.