Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Maybe JRPGs Aren't Dying After All

• Rusty Nail zhRusty Nail zh1,106,406
    Posted on 12 November 18 at 08:48
    I'm happy that at least we XBOX owners receive more JRPG's, but the article 2 years ago was already "wrong" to begin with. The JRPG genre only appeared to die on the XBOX console. Look at the Playstation, Switch or 3DS releases...still chuck full with JRPGs.
  • XboxoholicXboxoholic288,230
    Posted on 12 November 18 at 09:27
    Interesting read. I loved FF15 and it was immensely popular as you say, but I think it still ended up costing Square Enix in the end. It's hard to tell as there are surely gaps in our information, but the combined development and advertising costs of the base game were around $400m, and even if people did pay $50 a pop for the game (probably an overestimate of the average selling price, and discounting the fact many people will have bought it second hand thereby depriving SE of much profit), the game would just about break even.

This says more about the problems FF15 faced during development and less about the vigour of the genre as a whole, but it may nevertheless be fallacious optimism to look at the sales figures and conclude long-term longevity of the genre.
  • Posted on 12 November 18 at 12:38, Edited on 12 November 18 at 12:39 by John Connor M
    Merlinated said:
    John Connor M said:
    Someone who exclusively plays Xbox probably does think jrpgs are dead

KH3 looks like hot garbage and all we have gotten is essentially ports for years
    I'm happy we are getting the classic final fantasys as well as world of final fantasy and with the 13 series backwards compatible as well as tales of versperia releasing on the xbox, granted these aren't new games but now I can play my favourite games on my favourite console. What do you think looks so bad about Kingdom hearts 3?
    The animations (both cutscene and in game engine) seemed janky, voice acting quality seemed poor, antagonist(s) looking boring and the story seems too stock and standard.

That and they felt the need to hype up that there are minigames, so like usually the worst part of RPGs are KH3's selling point?

This is coming from the perspective of someone who hasn't played much of the other games so nostalgia doesn't factor into it for me.

What was good, dare I ask?
  • Posted on 12 November 18 at 13:46
    LuckyConquerer2 said:
    SuperTigerWoods said:
    I read this after receiving an email about FFXV server closures. What timing. Knowing next to nothing about it... just seems funny
    FFXV closure is because the multiplayer is getting a stand-alone game.
    Gotcha. Thank you
    #AncoraUnPezzoDiMerda
  • EvandalistEvandalist384,739
    Posted on 12 November 18 at 14:09
    Well this was certainly unexpected and refreshing. So few people are actually capable of admitting to ever having been wrong about something these days. Kudos to the author.
    Here lies a trite quote from somebody in history you might recognize. It's delightfully witty, yet concurrently incisive, and not at all pretentious.
  • Rich swv1Rich swv1567,263
    Posted on 12 November 18 at 14:49
    I do love a JRPG so I really hope we see more coming.
  • MerlinatedMerlinated557,257
    Posted on 12 November 18 at 15:06
    John Connor M said:
    Merlinated said:
    John Connor M said:

KH3 looks like hot garbage and all we have gotten is essentially ports for years
    I'm happy we are getting the classic final fantasys as well as world of final fantasy and with the 13 series backwards compatible as well as tales of versperia releasing on the xbox, granted these aren't new games but now I can play my favourite games on my favourite console. What do you think looks so bad about Kingdom hearts 3?
    The animations (both cutscene and in game engine) seemed janky, voice acting quality seemed poor, antagonist(s) looking boring and the story seems too stock and standard.

That and they felt the need to hype up that there are minigames, so like usually the worst part of RPGs are KH3's selling point?

This is coming from the perspective of someone who hasn't played much of the other games so nostalgia doesn't factor into it for me.

What was good, dare I ask?
    I don't really see any proof behind some of those points I can't really see anything wrong with the animations I thought they looked good from the trailers I've seen, also the graphics look like the Disney movies. Calling the antagonist boring when We've barely seen anything from him is a bit of a long shot, plus if you aren't interesting in the game you will look at it negatively. Story being standard for a Kingdom hearts game? Never heard that before. I think 1 and 2 were very good games on the PlayStation 2. I look forward to 3, only criticism I have is how cheesy the music on the trailers and the dialog can be.
    Momento Mori
  • EurydaceEurydace602,379
    Posted on 12 November 18 at 16:45
    Evandalist said:
    Well this was certainly unexpected and refreshing. So few people are actually capable of admitting to ever having been wrong about something these days. Kudos to the author.
    I may have very strong opinions, but I try to admit when I’m wrong. Especially so brazenly. You guys deserve it smile
  • TwistedTBTwistedTB878,099
    Posted on 12 November 18 at 19:50
    It would be nice if more JRPGs from the 360 era, when Xbox was trying to get more games from that genre, would get backwards compatibility at least.
    Warmest regards, TwistedTB.
  • Posted on 12 November 18 at 20:05
    Geez, two years? I remember that article like it was yesterday.

I'd never even thought of Kingdom Hearts as a JRPG before. I also saw it more in the mold of an action game. Then again I suppose the lines of what makes a traditional JRPG and action game are blurred more than ever after FFXV.

Hopefully the wave of re-releases will see more JRPGs come onto the Xbox. The genre sure ain't dead, but I don't blame anyone who only plays Xbox thinking so. Persona 5 was a treat, one of the best games this gen. Looking forward to playing Octopath and Dragon Quest eventually.
  • II REB IIII REB II408,275
    Posted on 12 November 18 at 21:26
    Same - where's that two years gone?
  • Posted on 12 November 18 at 22:18
    Eurydace said:
    Knoell said:
    BaronVoNewman said:
    i still remember when you hyped up shadow warrior 2 and that turned out to be hot garbage
    Not as good as the first? I was pleasantly surprised with the first one.
    It's completely and totally different.
    we got some good memories out of it
    Bvn
  • Posted on 12 November 18 at 22:21, Edited on 12 November 18 at 22:22 by BaronVoNewman
    John Connor M said:
    BaronVoNewman said:
    John Connor M said:

meanwhile john has never played a kingdom hearts game in his life so there goes his credibility on that.

KH3 will probably be good compared to a fuck ton of other games this year. And honestly who actually cares about other peoples opinions in this day and age. Rent the game for like 5$ and decide for yourself or wait for a deep sale in a year.

And as far as the ports could, the alternative is you know.... we could not get them at all.
    I haven't played a game from a series therefore I cannot give an opinion on how a game in that series looks? You also go on to contradict yourself.

Logic doesn't check out there baron, sorry to tell you.

Someone disliking what you like doesn't take away from your experience with it at all - something that isn't even out doesn't need to be defended with zeal the moment someone says the trailer looked bad
    The game looks exactly like the other KH games. i dont see the animation issues, gladly point them out and anyone who played KH knows it has a ton of minigames which most have been enjoyable. I replayed both KH 1, 1.5 and 2 about two years back on an emulator and guess what boys they played just as good as i remember. I seriously just re watched the trailer they recently showed and I see no animation issues lol.

pls link the timestamps so I know what to look for =)
    Bvn
  • SanadaSanada681,814
    Posted on 12 November 18 at 22:28
    Gave you some grief back then for the post, glad I was right laugh.

In all seriousness, I'm glad that some of the JRPG love that had been on the PlayStation side is coming over to Xbox. It's a shame that the FFXV DLC didn't pan out but some of the Square re-releases should help lessen the blow.
  • Posted on 13 November 18 at 00:56
    BaronVoNewman said:
    John Connor M said:
    BaronVoNewman said:
    John Connor M said:

meanwhile john has never played a kingdom hearts game in his life so there goes his credibility on that.

KH3 will probably be good compared to a fuck ton of other games this year. And honestly who actually cares about other peoples opinions in this day and age. Rent the game for like 5$ and decide for yourself or wait for a deep sale in a year.

And as far as the ports could, the alternative is you know.... we could not get them at all.
    I haven't played a game from a series therefore I cannot give an opinion on how a game in that series looks? You also go on to contradict yourself.

Logic doesn't check out there baron, sorry to tell you.

Someone disliking what you like doesn't take away from your experience with it at all - something that isn't even out doesn't need to be defended with zeal the moment someone says the trailer looked bad
    The game looks exactly like the other KH games. i dont see the animation issues, gladly point them out and anyone who played KH knows it has a ton of minigames which most have been enjoyable. I replayed both KH 1, 1.5 and 2 about two years back on an emulator and guess what boys they played just as good as i remember. I seriously just re watched the trailer they recently showed and I see no animation issues lol.

pls link the timestamps so I know what to look for =)
    Link the time stamps? Come on

My issue wasn't with you enjoying the game, everyone has different opinions. My issue was you saying my opinion was less credible because I am not a die hard KH fan.

If anything that makes my opinion more credible, I'm not blinded by nostalgia. E.g. you will buy the game 100% based on your comments on your love for the series - regardless of how bad it looks.

Once again I reiterate, me disliking the game doesn't change how you feel.

And the minigame point still stands, if a big selling point of your game is minigames (which they apparently have done to death before) then it feels like a PR department scraping the bottom of the barrel for USPs.
  • MugenKairoMugenKairo262,651
    Posted on 13 November 18 at 01:28, Edited on 13 November 18 at 01:29 by MugenKairo
    JRPGs on Xbox are few and far between because Sony gets all the exclusives, like the Tales series.
    'Life begins beyond the edge of your comfort zone'
  • Posted on 13 November 18 at 03:16
    Congrats for admitting you were mistaken.

Wait, what? Two years ago?! It was about time then!!! Just kidding. But, seriously now, boy, is the time passing by fast? It was just the other day when I saw that article on this site...
    To do or not to do. THAT is the question.
  • Posted on 13 November 18 at 03:20
    On a sidenote: who was the one to prophesy the end/death of Single Player?
    To do or not to do. THAT is the question.
  • Chris1984ukChris1984uk1,072,918
    Posted on 13 November 18 at 14:56
    JRPG's were never dying.
  • EurydaceEurydace602,379
    Posted on 14 November 18 at 02:12
    Chris1984uk said:
    JRPG's were never dying.
    Hi dear. You should read the article!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.