Walkthroughs

Forum for discussing game walkthroughs

Call of Cthulhu Walkthrough Discussion

• Posted on 12 November 18 at 11:26Permalink
    Please use this thread to discuss the Call of Cthulhu walkthrough
  • Danno OmenDanno Omen1,139,409
    Posted on 05 January 19 at 22:47Permalink
    In the chapter 10 section it says:

After the conversation ends, just wait for another one. Choose to struggle and refuse the knowledge. You should unlock: The dreamlike investigation

instead of refusing the knowledge you are supposed to accept the knowledge,missed out on the achievement because of this :(
  • Yinga GartenYinga Garten1,714,001
    Posted on 05 January 19 at 23:57Permalink
    Hi Danno Omen,
    Sorry to hear that. As overseer of this walkthrough I've just pushed through an edit to reflect what you have posted. The achievement isn't marked as missable so is there possibly another way to get it during the playthrough?
  • Danno OmenDanno Omen1,139,409
    Posted on 06 January 19 at 02:41Permalink
    Yinga Garten said:
    Hi Danno Omen,
    Sorry to hear that. As overseer of this walkthrough I've just pushed through an edit to reflect what you have posted. The achievement isn't marked as missable so is there possibly another way to get it during the playthrough?
    Luckily it popped in the next chapter,it seems even if you dont accept there you automatically choose it at the beginning of the next chapter. So yes its not missable just if anyone reads that they might get upset when it doesnt pop right away.

I will say though i missed out on one other achievement after following the guide. i dont think i missed anything but cant tell for sure if i might have just screwed up
  • Kongo DragonKongo Dragon925,812
    Posted on 27 January 19 at 18:57Permalink
    Without wanting to be overly critical, this walkthrough should be revised. I followed it to the letter and did not unlock the speech related achievement. I was also not able to carry out the counter ritual. Incredibly frustrating that I now have to go through this garbage game 2 more times. Maybe consider not writing a guide for a game unless you know 100 per cent that the method illustrated will net the reader the 1000.
    Posted on 27 January 19 at 19:17Permalink
    Kongo Dragon said:
    Without wanting to be overly critical, this walkthrough should be revised. I followed it to the letter and did not unlock the speech related achievement. I was also not able to carry out the counter ritual. Incredibly frustrating that I now have to go through this garbage game 2 more times. Maybe consider not writing a guide for a game unless you know 100 per cent that the method illustrated will net the reader the 1000.
    I'm sorry to hear that. However I'd like to ask how it could be revised when it isn't certain what the exact requirements are to unlock each ending? The walkthrough does seem to have helped people get the 1000G, with over 20 thanks so far. If you discover anything that could improve the walkthrough in your subsequent playthroughs then feel free to PM me and I'll forward it to the author. I personally haven't played the game but from knowing the standards that are set for walkthroughs on this site, this walkthrough certainly meets those.

The author has put a lot of time into creating this walkthrough for the community and hasn't planted false information in it to deliberately force people to play the game again, you might well have overlooked a detail which is easy to do (and which I certainly have done before).
  • Kongo DragonKongo Dragon925,812
    Posted on 27 January 19 at 22:18Permalink
    Slightly concerning if a walkthrough meets the standards of the site when the author is unaware of the of the criteria to unlock an achievement, but ok.

I am in no way bringing into question the authors intent, or indeed the effort that has been put into the guide; which is much appreciated by all, I am sure.

As stated, I followed the guide to the letter and did not unlock certain achievements. I understand the game is temperamental in nature, but if you can't categorically guarantee obtaining 1000 gamerscore in an achievement walkthrough by the end of It, it's probably not worth writing it and wasting 10 hours of someone's life.
    Posted on 28 January 19 at 01:24Permalink
    Is anyone even aware of what exactly these requirements are? Some games are bound to have random or unknown elements that can't be fully covered by a walkthrough, no site can do that. This walkthrough covers the issue as well as possible or it wouldn't have otherwise been published. It practically holds your hand through the entire game, you can't ask for much more than that. Raising the issue of whether it was worth writing... I wouldn't want to read that if I was the author, dismisses their entire work.

Walkthroughs on this site are a collaborative process, so if you decide to continue in your quest for the 1000 and have something to add to the walkthrough, please post here or PM me.
  • Dang3R GamingDang3R Gaming1,223,794
    Posted on 28 January 19 at 01:31Permalink
    On a note of the first paragraph. It meets our standards in terms of content, but if an achievements has somewhat unknown criteria or if like in many cases, the overseer has not played the game themselves, then it can’t be fully fact checked and we have to rely on the writer putting the correct info in, or the community calling it out for being wrong.

As yinga has said, if you find out what caused you not to get the achievement and the actual requirements, post here or PM him and he’ll go over it with the author to get it added in and pushed through.
  • Julz D 01Julz D 01471,178
    Posted on 28 February 19 at 00:05Permalink
    The walkthrough says to pick the lock on the shack in chapter 2. However instead the lock breaks and then it checkpoint saves which then voids the achievement as you cannot get into the shack.
  • Posted on 25 March 19 at 18:10Permalink
    I would very much like to see this walkthrough updated. There is an example in the comment section of the Farewell achievement that explains how to get all four endings in one playthrough. Unfortunately, I did not see it until after I followed this walkthrough twice and did not get the Farewell achievement.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the effort that goes into writing a walkthrough like this, members like Nighthawx271 and Yinga Garten make this site what it is. I might have time available soon to help with the rewrite if that would help.

Cheers.
    Posted on 25 March 19 at 20:26Permalink
    Hi Thickly Settled,
    This walkthrough has been on the team's radar for a little while now as several people have been having issues with it (including a manager on the team). I got in touch with the author a couple of weeks ago to give him the chance to make some edits in response to the feedback I've received from the community. Some edits were made two weeks ago but there hasn't been any further work, these edits haven't been pushed through yet.

I personally haven't played the game and have no intention to, so I have to trust what the author has written (unless its obviously below standards). That's the first I've heard of the possibility of getting all four endings in one playthrough, which would indeed be a valuable time saver. I could make an emergency edit now if you can supply me with further details.

We could well be looking for an editor soon, otherwise we'll just put in some bolded warnings for the time being. I'll give the author another nudge as he had only made edits to Chapters 2 and 3 in response to my previous message.

Many thanks,
    Yinga Garten
  • Posted on 25 March 19 at 21:04, Edited on 25 March 19 at 22:04 by Thickly SettledPermalink
    Here is the comment/solution I was referring to.

- First of all, I put all points into 'Spot Hidden' on character creation
    - I brought 'Spot Hidden' up to 100% as quickly as I could with earned character points
    - I then brought Investigation up to 100% as soon as I could
    - I divided the points after that equally across the remaining three categories

- Not only did I drink every time I could, but I exhausted the option to do so every time (3x) [I drank only once each opportunity]
    - I think I found all the occult items

- I told Bradley to stay by the car [at the beginning of Chapter 3]
    - I accepted Drake's help and saved him at the Shambler fight

- I interacted with all occult books, but refused to read them
    - I started responding in R'lyehian as soon as I was given the option to do so

- I submitted to the Leviathan in jail and accepted the knowledge
    - I killed Bradley [Chapter 12]
    - I saved Mitchell and went back to check on Cat after

- I refused the medicine, the flesh and chose not to kill Fuller. [beware that although you refuse all, the animation shows you taking the medicine, eating the flesh and shooting Dr. Fuller - weird]

- I chose prudence when it came to telling Irene about her husband but drove her to suicide for the trophies regardless
    - I lied to Bradley about his ex, and gave him the R'lyehian response about faith after that

I did make some dumb calls that cost me some sanity along the way - like using the electricity to create a distraction, as well as investigate Sarah's ritual. But yeah, I had access to all four endings at the end, after choosing the final R'lyehian response.
    Posted by Jotuns360Tag on 02 Dec 18 at 20:26
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    The things in brackets are my edits but all credit goes to Jotuns360Tag.

You will still need a second playthrough to get some achievements but with the guide the way it is you need three. Again, I in no way mean any disrespect to the walkthrough owner, he (?) did all the heavy lifting.
  • Posted on 25 March 19 at 21:14, Edited on 25 March 19 at 21:15 by Thickly SettledPermalink
    I compiled a list of all 18 moments you do/can lose sanity [SAN] in the game. I think it's helpful to see the optionial moments so you can decide for yourself.

SANITY. There are a total of 18 things that will cause loss of sanity

1 Chapter 1 - Nightmares. Once you make your way out of the cave - story related.
    2 Chapter 2 - The Submerged City. The ‘attack’ under the warehouse. MISSABLE.
    3 Chapter 4 -The Ritual. Walking through the level - story related.
    4 Chapter 5 - Macabre Discovery. After you give the inmate the sleeping pills go into the room the guard was watching. Facing the inmates cell the room is directly left. MISSABLE.
    5 Chapter 5 - The Death of Francis Sanders. While escaping the asylum - story related.
    6 Chapter 6 - Malleus Bestiarum [Vol. 2]. In the Sanders residence on the desk in front of Cat, after you speak to Irene Sanders. MISSABLE
    7 Chapter 6 - Meet the Shambler. After the Shambler fight - story related.
    8 Chapter 7 - Reading the Necronomicon. Reading the book in the safe - story related.
    9 Chapter 9 - Trapped in Madness. After meeting Dr. Fuller. Story related.
    18 Chapter 9 - The Cost of Truth. I think I got this after speaking rlyehian to Sarah. MISSABLE
    10 Chapter 9 - Charles Hawkins. After the cutscene just before arriving at the Hawkins Estate. Story related.
    11 Chapter 9 - Sarah Hawkins Ritua. lHawkins Mansion - after the reconstruction investigation in Sarah Hawkins room. Stort related.
    12 Chapter 12 - The Stolen Choice. In the cell I did not struggle and I accepted the knowledge [from Leviathan]. MISSABLE
    13 Chapter 12 - First Dilemma. After shooting Bradley. MISSABLE
    14 Chapter 13 - The Leviathan. Once you see Sarah after breaking through the wall. Stort related.
    15 Chapter 13 - Second Dilemma. Take the treatment. MISSABLE.
    16 Chapter 13 - Third Dilemma. Eat the meat. MISSABLE.
    17 Chapter 13 - Last Dilemma. Take the gun. MISSABLE.
  • Posted on 10 May 19 at 14:49, Edited on 10 May 19 at 14:52 by The Nerds ClubPermalink
    You strength needs to be high enough to open the door on the ground in the warehouse & i noticed you recently edited the guide in chapter 1 you start with 8 skill points & originally you said put 5 points in spot hidden & 3 in strength or vice versa but now you've changed it to put all 8 points in spot hidden which isn't needed that early as i've almost fully upgraded spot hidden & so far not missed any hidden items, i was in chapter 9. i failed my first playthrough because i forgot a unholy book in the library other than that your guide is fantastic & it's very helpful.
  • chrisie81chrisie81580,831
    Posted on 31 May 19 at 14:52, Edited on 31 May 19 at 14:56 by chrisie81Permalink
    I didn't miss anything in the walkthrough, except my strength was not high enough in the warehouse, so I missed a hallucination which meant I also missed the speak in R’lyehian achievement at the end of the game, my sanity must have not been low enough. I also missed a mural under the warehouse. Not having enough strength that early missed three achievements for me.
  • Posted on 20 July 19 at 13:59Permalink
    I just wanted to add that for chapter 10 it says, "Choose to struggle and accept the knowledge." I followed the guide exactly and got all of the achievements after my first playthrough except "Fluent In R'lyehian." On my second playthrough I followed for the possibility to get all endings at the end. I think in chapter 10 it should say, "Choose to submit and accept the knowledge", this is what I did that time and got the achievement. Now of course, that wasn't the ONLY difference in my playthrough. But something that I noticed as well is when you hover your cursor over the "submit" choice there's a thing that tells you that your sanity is low enough to pick this option, which is the same exact thing it does with any of the R'lyehian responses. So based off of that, I'm assuming submitting to Leviathan is a required choice included with the R'lyehian responses.

Also, some people mentioned in chapter 2 failing to pick the lock, and also failing the strength check in the warehouse. If you pause and reload before the animation is complete, it will take you back and you can try again. For lockpicking doors, if the lock doesn't start to come off and he takes out the lockpick broken in half you failed, and need to pause and reload. For the strength check in the warehouse, if he is struggling with the lever and doesn't start to push it and raise the grate up immediately you failed and need to pause and reload. The only instance this might not work on is when you need to lockpick chests, such as the one at the beginning of chapter 4 and the one that's in chapter 13. There doesn't seem to be an animation, it just happens after interacting and saves. I didn't fail those though so I'm not sure what it looks like and whether you can salvage it or not.
    ThaDevilzHand
  • Posted on 21 July 19 at 14:51Permalink
    I’m 0/2 so far in chapter 2 lock picking the shack 😢
    Iceberg Right Ahead
  • Posted on 28 October 19 at 19:35Permalink
    Iceberg082006 said:
    I’m 0/2 so far in chapter 2 lock picking the shack 😢
    me too
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.