Site News

Forum to discuss TA news items. Only TrueAchievement can post here

Achievements Requiring Guides List and Direct Messages

• Posted on 12 November 18 at 20:49
    MugenKairo said:
    Subtext: The community hasn't helped built this site enough free of charge so come on guys! Although I'm a little sour on how much effort the community puts in for free, this is a great feature.
    You think you should get paid for writing solutions? A completely optional thing people do for the community's benefit?

Glad most of the site aren't like you or it would be dead by now
  • hypobonixhypobonix1,028,107
    Posted on 12 November 18 at 20:55, Edited on 12 November 18 at 20:56 by hypobonix
    I tried to look through the comments to find if anyone else mentioned anything along these lines.

With this new feature sorting your games so you can view the solutions by play time; Is there any intent to add that feature while viewing our game collection? Unless I'm just dumb and can't find it. I would love to be able to sort my collection by time played.
  • RadiantViperRadiantViper1,118,390
    Posted on 12 November 18 at 21:18
    TA: Here's a feature to try and encourage more solutions being made

Thread: Wow what a waste of time, I hate this feature because it might create more story related solutions that I won't click anyways

Not really sure why such an innocuous feature brought out the salt laugh
  • Smudgenat0rSmudgenat0r840,461
    Posted on 12 November 18 at 21:24
    No one is ever happy in the comments on this site. If this isn’t going to benefit you, ignore it and move on. Some may find this useful and encourage them to write some guides. Get over yourselves and move on.
  • SashamorningSashamorning2,930,857
    Posted on 12 November 18 at 21:43, Edited on 12 November 18 at 21:47 by Sashamorning
    Spilner said:
    Living Legends said:
    These are property of TA and not his so I will make sure and "copy" his solutions to the imported stacks that I own that need solutions. Asking is the nice part but sometimes his ego needs to be checked.
    Solution Guidelines
    No they are not owned by TA, that is WTs, my solutions my owned by me as they are my work.
    Legally, I'm not even sure that WTs are, tbh. Solutions and reviews definitely are not. Without compensation or some transfer of value, intellectual property cannot be considered work-for-hire, and therefore remain the property of the author, insofar as the author is willing to allow it to be used.

Disclaimers on the site cannot trump IP laws if it was not for-hire. As far as I know, no walkthrough on the site was purchased by TA.

If a walkthrough was used on another site, TA could ostensibly sue over use, but the truth is that I could give my own work to anyone I choose. A good faith claimant has claim over all but the true owner.

I'd need another attorney to corroborate, but that's what I remember from my contracts and property classes.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
  • Posted on 12 November 18 at 21:49
    Great feature, look forward to using it to help people.
  • Jasecw2Jasecw2421,376
    Posted on 12 November 18 at 22:04
    Elite1111111111 said:
    Jasecw2 said:
    I just noticed my videos to my solutions now say Sorry, this Game Clip has been removed
    I know I didn't remove them and the solutions had positive votes so I'm confused
    I had that issue at one point I think. I'm pretty sure the video IDs had just changed for some reason, so I had to re-link them all.

It's also possible they got deleted.
    The weird thing is my videos for Marvel vs Capcom and Samurai Shodown III are still there but the other 3 videos for the other ACA games are gone. If the video ID's got changed wouldn't all my videos been deleted? Does TA randomly go thru and take videos down?
  • SpilnerSpilner1,149,456
    Posted on 12 November 18 at 22:15
    Nuada said:
    SheBeatsYou said:
    I did a few solutions that explained perfectly what to do and got several downvotes for no reason making my good solution hidden so I stopped not gonna waste my time again.
    There are some going through and down voting anything they didn't get to write first. Don't let it get you down. Just make sure you follow the rules for the solution, and there's nothing anyone can do but down vote to make themselves feel better.
    Cute, i downvoted originally since you repeated the achievement description which was against the solution rules and told you as such, your edits were then a linear video in a game with choice branches that for someone making a different choice would be useless and hence the downvotes remained. You then PMed me blaming me when i have no obligation to comment further and NOW you're claiming that i downvoted because i didnt get to write a solution first (For a game from nearly 4 years ago). Your solutions are bad, thats what the votes are there for, not for the reason you think. laugh
    Pom poms at the ready, cheerleaders!
  • Posted on 12 November 18 at 22:16, Edited on 12 November 18 at 22:18 by Poopdog M60Riot
    Time for 100s of new solutions that say “Story related, unmissable.”
    That’s fine, but encouraging everyone to write some will inevitably lead to some spoilers being added.
    Banana Big Boys
    Posted on 12 November 18 at 22:32
    Poopdog M60Riot said:
    Time for 100s of new solutions that say “Story related, unmissable.”
    That’s fine, but encouraging everyone to write some will inevitably lead to some spoilers being added.
    100s of solutions breaking the rules*
  • NuadaNuada143,488
    Posted on 12 November 18 at 23:00
    Spilner said:
    Nuada said:
    SheBeatsYou said:
    I did a few solutions that explained perfectly what to do and got several downvotes for no reason making my good solution hidden so I stopped not gonna waste my time again.
    There are some going through and down voting anything they didn't get to write first. Don't let it get you down. Just make sure you follow the rules for the solution, and there's nothing anyone can do but down vote to make themselves feel better.
    Cute, i downvoted originally since you repeated the achievement description which was against the solution rules and told you as such, your edits were then a linear video in a game with choice branches that for someone making a different choice would be useless and hence the downvotes remained. You then PMed me blaming me when i have no obligation to comment further and NOW you're claiming that i downvoted because i didnt get to write a solution first (For a game from nearly 4 years ago). Your solutions are bad, thats what the votes are there for, not for the reason you think. laugh
    My post was to encourage another user to continue to write solutions because others in the community had decided to down vote items aggressively. If you and I have a problem, then that is between you and I. I have not and will not bring my problems with anyone else to the forums. That is not a meaningful avenue to improve upon such a situation. I'm going to use this opportunity to build up the community rather than point fingers in the dark and mock.
  • Apocalypse KaneApocalypse Kane2,034,641
    Posted on 12 November 18 at 23:58
    Good job! clap
  • lfcjohnlfcjohn1,752,543
    Posted on 13 November 18 at 00:21
    That's really a great feature, i used to view my unlocked achievement and see if guide available before
    You'll never play alone.
  • On Phone EmOn Phone Em470,454
    Posted on 13 November 18 at 01:05
    supkris said:
    Nice feature. But as others said story related achievements doesnt need a guide. Besides i always wondered why do we need to have a down vote option for guides and reviews. If the guide is good then let the users like it. If not lets leave it. No need to down vote and demotivate anyone. IMO this will have effect on those who contribute. Someone is spending thier time to write a guide or review foe others to benefit at free of cost. It makes no sense to down vote and demotivate
    Big fact. I 100% agree.
    Case Closed so don't debate it.
  • On Phone EmOn Phone Em470,454
    Posted on 13 November 18 at 01:07
    Nuada said:
    Spilner said:
    Nuada said:
    SheBeatsYou said:
    My post was to encourage another user to continue to write solutions because others in the community had decided to down vote items aggressively. If you and I have a problem, then that is between you and I. I have not and will not bring my problems with anyone else to the forums. That is not a meaningful avenue to improve upon such a situation. I'm going to use this opportunity to build up the community rather than point fingers in the dark and mock.
    Exactly... It should go down in the DM not there lol.
    Case Closed so don't debate it.
    Posted on 13 November 18 at 01:26
    Perpetuating false information shouldn't be here either but they did, so there.
  • iMaginaryyiMaginaryy2,504,052
    Posted on 13 November 18 at 01:35, Edited on 13 November 18 at 01:41 by iMaginaryy
    Jasecw2 said:
    I just noticed my videos to my solutions now say Sorry, this Game Clip has been removed
    I know I didn't remove them and the solutions had positive votes so I'm confused
    In the past, and possibly still, game clips made with the built in xbox feature and only automatically saved but not manually saved would be automatically deleted after a certain period of time. I had my xbox tell me this dozens of times over the first two years or so of owning it.

If you want to keep them, upload them to Youtube or some other sort of video storage service.

Also, Spilner, if they asked for your permission - would you say yes? Because if not, then the whole conversation is pointless and they are left with only one option. If there's only one solution to the problem and you've already posted it but refuse to either get the other game to post it yourself or give permission for another to do so, then their only option is to paraphrase the solution or so and post it themselves - credit or not.

Not to mention, how exactly are they going to keep accurate and protected record of everyone's written permission to each other? TA would have to purchase another building just for the archives! laugh
    Fear is the mindkiller.
  • zzUrbanSpacemanzzUrbanSpaceman1,514,346
    Posted on 13 November 18 at 01:51
    Is this new page linked under one of the menus somewhere? I can't see it. I can only find the (related, but not the same) Achievement Solutions link in the main menu (https://www.trueachievements.com/solutions.aspx). How will I find this link later if I'm interested?
    Posted on 13 November 18 at 01:53, Edited on 13 November 18 at 01:56 by Spilner
    iMaginaryy said:
    Also, Spilner, if they asked for your permission - would you say yes? Because if not, then the whole conversation is pointless and they are left with only one option. If there's only one solution to the problem and you've already posted it but refuse to either get the other game to post it yourself or give permission for another to do so, then their only option is to paraphrase the solution or so and post it themselves - credit or not.

Not to mention, how exactly are they going to keep accurate and protected record of everyone's written permission to each other? TA would have to purchase another building just for the archives! laugh
    Yup, being asked if im going to get the game in the future has happened before, posting on other sites has happened, ive given videos and photos to people too, asking isnt hard. As for 'ow exactly are they going to keep accurate and protected record of everyone's written permission to each other' they simply ask them? Happened before too.

As for the game clip thing there was a time where a bug made it so that for some reason game clips were rescanned from XBL which inturn generated new TA urls (since its a new clip to the site) which could well be the issue there.

zzUrbanSpaceman said:
    Is this new page linked under one of the menus somewhere? I can't see it. I can only find the (related, but not the same) Achievement Solutions link in the main menu (link hidden). How will I find this link later if I'm interested?
    'Guideless achievements' left one and up 2 from the solution link in main menu.
  • KenH2k4KenH2k4594,255
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads