Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy Now Backward Compatible

AuthorMessage
Kamata50
Kamata50
Posted on 13 November 18 at 19:33
I'll pick up XIII-2 today. I'm not sure when I'll get around it as I only put a maybe an hour into 13. I'm just going to skip Lightning Returns. The last final fantasy I played were 7, 8 (never finished), and 9. I recall picking up 13 but some other game distracted me. I think I only did the first tutorial battle.
Mikhail Krauser
Mikhail Krauser
Posted on 13 November 18 at 19:39, Edited on 13 November 18 at 19:40 by Mikhail Krauser
So my genuine experience and recommendations for someone going into this new. (Spoiler Free)

XIII
This game was panned hard because it is extremely linear, but it also isn't. The story will be completed in roughly 40 hours, but you don't get to travel between towns or anything and kind of grind on the set path your on. So the hate for the game is purely because it's not really "Open World"

However, I did really like the game, the gameplay, some of the characters, and bar one "Missable" achievement due to specific items (Check the Treasure Hunter guide for which items not to sell) the achievements are fairely simple.

That being said, the game doesen't start till after you kill the last boss. You get to enjoy the story, do what you gotta do, then you travel back to an area called "Gran Pulse" where you're before the last boss and teleporting between markers. It's basically a giant field with a couple caves and that's it. Sounds dumb, but after 40 hours of playing, you'll spend another 100 hours in this field. The first part is doing "Hunts" kinda like the marks in XII or basically 50-150 (can't remember the number) boss fights that will make you fight differently. These can be fun, and not too bad minus 2 or 3 of them and usually have cheesy mechanics to beat them minus a giant turtle thing.

That's probably 20ish hours of playing. The real beast is Treasure Hunter, where you'll be killing Adamantortoises and Shen Long Guys for Tetrazohedrons (sp?). And making every weapon, weapon variant, and item in the game. The grind is real. So if you find grinding relaxing and want to play for 20 minutes or 5 hours, you'll enjoy this, if you find it a slog, you'll hate it. Other than this one time consuming achievement, not bad but I had fun at the end game even if it doesen't look like much.

XII-2

Spoiler Free... But the ending is very confusing and abrupt.

Beyond that the game took me probably 120 hours? But I enjoyed it thoroughly. New mechanic, you also get to basically play Pokemon/Ni No Kuni and capture monsters to aid you as party members. Not gonna say much, but very fun. Also... Jihl Nabaht!

Lightning Returns

I haven't delved deep into this one yet, but to be brunt... It's Majora's Mask.

No seriously. you get so many days, and then you can reset time and maintain stats and redo everything all over again. To boot, you can farm monster types to extinction. I think there was something like 50 of each monster and thats it with some cool end game omega dungeon stuff. Im needing to go back into it, I know that on first playthrough even I (who keeps an open mind) went "What the hell is this." Especially when I had to spy on a cult that only appears in one spot at a specific time on a specific day. Everything you do has a time limit that you can eventually speed up and slow down (Again exactly like Majora's Mask). Might be a turn off to people, but if you treat it like how you have to treat something like Metal Gear Rising (which I love but I totally get why it isn't a 'Metal Gear' game and more closely a Platinum Games game) you can probably really get into it but im warning you, you'll probably need a bunch of guides and stuff to follow time of days for character encounters.

And that's pretty much it.
Im soo stealthy, I feel like my knife has a silencer...
Tandar1
Tandar1
Posted on 13 November 18 at 20:37
Awesome!!!
AmyGrrl
AmyGrrl
Posted on 13 November 18 at 21:47
Can't wait to finally play this. Have never played through this trilogy. I bought XIII-2 and Lightening Returns digitally over a year or two ago thinking I could play them on my XBOX One. Then was disappointing to find out that they were not backwards compatible and that XIII was not available to purchase. So I didn't want to play the two games as I dind't want to miss out on the complete story. Now I just need to buy XIII and all the DLC for Lightening Returns. Then my Trilogy will be complete and ready to play. I already bought all the DLC for XIII-2. Even have all the delisted DLC. Like the Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed Outfits. Kinda sad that the Japan only DLC equipment that could be obtained outside of the xbox marketplace was never released over here.
a Fi1thy Casual
Posted on 13 November 18 at 22:00
I guess I have no reason to not finish XIII-2 now laugh
Fully loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness.
Predefiance
Predefiance
Posted on 13 November 18 at 22:08
Awesome. I've been playing FF XIII on the 360 but it'll be great to transfer my saves over to the Xbox One. When I got the game I remember putting it in the X1 because I thought it was backward compatible. Now it is. Good times laugh
MugenKairo
MugenKairo
Posted on 14 November 18 at 01:51
Still need to play Lightning Returns, the first 2 were good, just didn't have the captive story and characters as previous iterations.
'Life begins beyond the edge of your comfort zone'
DarkB1ade X
DarkB1ade X
Posted on 14 November 18 at 02:34
Am I the only person that enjoyed Lightning Returns? I'll admit it was hard to get into it early on in the game, and the early bosses are hard if you don't know what you're doing, but it became quite enjoyable once I got the hang of it. Had more fun with the exploration aspects and the quests scattered throughout the world. Probably my favorite of the 3, even if it isn't as traditional as the previous entries.
BegFourMercy
BegFourMercy
Posted on 14 November 18 at 02:35
I always get a kick out of the name Final Fantasy...… LOL It is not final
x Mataeus x
x Mataeus x
Posted on 14 November 18 at 04:05
I thought the combat in LR was well handled, certainly better than the real time styles used in 12 and 15.
https://www.exophase.com/user/Mataeus
I8ITackyticsI8I
Posted on 14 November 18 at 07:45
I've been waiting for this for a long time and got 3 for the price of 1! Very happy.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 14 November 18 at 09:39
i'll wait for a sale before i buy all 3
x Safe haven x
Posted on 14 November 18 at 15:21
I think that all 3 games are Awesome and can’t wait to play Them again headspin
TwistedTB
TwistedTB
Posted on 14 November 18 at 18:22
I hope more JRPGs get backwards compatibility.
Still waiting for:
MagnaCarta 2
Nier
Infinite Undiscovery
The Last Remnant
Bladestorm: The Hundred Years War
Culdcept Saga
Warmest regards, TwistedTB.
rob25X
rob25X
Posted on 14 November 18 at 20:32
It's great to see so many 360 games getting XB1 compatibilty.

I personally enjoyed FFXIII and XIII-2 a lot more than I expected to (enough to 1000G and Platinum them both) but I can't get on with Lightning Returns at all. It's an interesting game but not as easy to play as the previous games. Constantly being pushed by time restrictions makes it quite frustrating to play and ruins the experience.

Type-0 is good btw, I recommend it to anyone who likes FF but is yet to play it.
Jay Cowl
Jay Cowl
Posted on 14 November 18 at 21:35
Bronage Jcal said:
These will likely be on sale for between now and the end of the year
Just wanted to say I called it that it would be on sale
PetrozPL
PetrozPL
Posted on 14 November 18 at 21:36
PoP 2008, and now FF XIII trylogy... for me, best 3 months of BC ever!
Petroz
Algur
Algur
Posted on 15 November 18 at 04:17
TwistedTB said:
I hope more JRPGs get backwards compatibility.
Still waiting for:
MagnaCarta 2
Nier
Infinite Undiscovery
The Last Remnant
Bladestorm: The Hundred Years War
Culdcept Saga
This. Seriously though, I would have preferred Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, and Star Ocean over the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy.
OniRyo
OniRyo
Posted on 18 November 18 at 16:23, Edited on 18 November 18 at 16:24 by OniRyo
Mikhail Krauser said:
So my genuine experience and recommendations for someone going into this new. (Spoiler Free)

Lightning Returns

I haven't delved deep into this one yet, but to be brunt... It's Majora's Mask.

No seriously. you get so many days, and then you can reset time and maintain stats and redo everything all over again. To boot, you can farm monster types to extinction. I think there was something like 50 of each monster and thats it with some cool end game omega dungeon stuff. Im needing to go back into it, I know that on first playthrough even I (who keeps an open mind) went "What the hell is this." Especially when I had to spy on a cult that only appears in one spot at a specific time on a specific day. Everything you do has a time limit that you can eventually speed up and slow down (Again exactly like Majora's Mask). Might be a turn off to people, but if you treat it like how you have to treat something like Metal Gear Rising (which I love but I totally get why it isn't a 'Metal Gear' game and more closely a Platinum Games game) you can probably really get into it but im warning you, you'll probably need a bunch of guides and stuff to follow time of days for character encounters.

And that's pretty much it.
I would say though, New Game+ in Lightning Returns and going back in time in Majora's Mask are two really big different things, in Majora's Mask where you complete a dungeon you won't ever have to go back there anymore, even when you go back in time because you got the boss item, in Lightning Returns where you start New Game+ you have to redo the whole story and sidequests again, in Majora's Mask it's also way less depressing compared to Lightning Returns (to me, because one is a JRPG and another is a adventure sort of game)
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.