The Bargain Bin Forum

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

The 20 Top Rated Games from the Xbox Black Friday Sale

AuthorMessage
DaveKinetic
580,257
DaveKinetic
Posted on 20 November 18 at 14:30
Pick up a gem or two for a discounted price

Please click here to read the story: The 20 Top Rated Games from the Xbox Black Friday Sale
CRZYSPZ
511,980
CRZYSPZ
Posted on 20 November 18 at 14:57
Are the Valkyria Chronicles games their own separate stories (like Final Fantasy) or do they continue one long path?

Been debating about picking up VC4.
Seitzz
669,164
Seitzz
Posted on 20 November 18 at 15:49
Rise of the Tomb Raider and the Batman Arkham bundle are amazing deals and I would highly recommend all 3 games.
FightingMegaFoo
Posted on 20 November 18 at 16:09
Now's the time to get Grand Theft Auto V, since it almost never goes on sale.
DiegoTan
230,158
DiegoTan
Posted on 20 November 18 at 16:42
Huh I thought "This Is the Police 2" is a very boring and badly planned game.
Yatta!
TheGreatKoala
240,330
TheGreatKoala
Posted on 20 November 18 at 16:49
DiegoTan said:
Huh I thought "This Is the Police 2" is a very boring and badly planned game.
Yeah but it is an indie game, so it is "cool" to like it on the internet despite it very obviously sucking
Eurydace
492,750
Eurydace
Posted on 20 November 18 at 17:18
CRZYSPZ said:
Are the Valkyria Chronicles games their own separate stories (like Final Fantasy) or do they continue one long path?

Been debating about picking up VC4.
They’re within the same universe, so not like Final Fantasy, but all standalone. They all take place during the same world war, focusing on different fronts of that war. You should be fine.
Vok 250
191,324
Vok 250
Posted on 20 November 18 at 18:31
You probably should have put a threshold on minimum number of votes. Valkyria Chronicles 4 gets on the list with an average from only around 30 votes. Meanwhile games like Fallout 4 that also have 4.6/5 when rounded are nowhere to be seen. A 4.6 from 10000 people means a lot more than a 4.6 from 30 hardcore fans of a niche series.
eayragt
162,799
eayragt
Posted on 20 November 18 at 18:52
Vok 250 said:
You probably should have put a threshold on minimum number of votes. Valkyria Chronicles 4 gets on the list with an average from only around 30 votes. Meanwhile games like Fallout 4 that also have 4.6/5 when rounded are nowhere to be seen. A 4.6 from 10000 people means a lot more than a 4.6 from 30 hardcore fans of a niche series.
Although learning that people like Fallout 4 isn't exactly news, so people finding out about less popular but highly rated games is more useful...
Say everything with a smile
Racxie
331,620
Racxie
Posted on 20 November 18 at 19:35
eayragt said:
Vok 250 said:
You probably should have put a threshold on minimum number of votes. Valkyria Chronicles 4 gets on the list with an average from only around 30 votes. Meanwhile games like Fallout 4 that also have 4.6/5 when rounded are nowhere to be seen. A 4.6 from 10000 people means a lot more than a 4.6 from 30 hardcore fans of a niche series.
Although learning that people like Fallout 4 isn't exactly news, so people finding out about less popular but highly rated games is more useful...
Considering the majority of the games on the list are all AAA or big budget titles, this argument doesn't really hold up.
PlayUltimate711
Posted on 20 November 18 at 19:52
I'm very glad to see a best games on the sale list. This is far more interesting to me than telling us how we can throw money at the screen for more easy gamerscore.

That said, I have to agree with eayragt. The number of people who click on this article and say "Holy shit I've never heard of this Skyrim game before, but it has pretty high ratings! I guess I'll go try it out and see what it is!" It would probably expose more people to new games that they didn't expect to enjoy if you did top games in the sale with less than 10,000 gamers started or something like that.

Racxie, I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue. Eayragt isn't saying that AAA games aren't good and shouldn't be at the top. He's just saying most people know that and this list isn't telling them anything they don't already know.

Still good to see this kind of thing though.
I AM PEKE?
Ostrowidzki1989
Posted on 20 November 18 at 20:35
I picked valkyrie 4. Gonna start soon.
AKfoy0face
479,448
AKfoy0face
Posted on 20 November 18 at 21:00
Yes, I like games with very specific ratings. I need mine rated over 4.68
Racxie
331,620
Racxie
Posted on 20 November 18 at 21:37
ORIGENxGarboMan said:
I'm very glad to see a best games on the sale list. This is far more interesting to me than telling us how we can throw money at the screen for more easy gamerscore.

That said, I have to agree with eayragt. The number of people who click on this article and say "Holy shit I've never heard of this Skyrim game before, but it has pretty high ratings! I guess I'll go try it out and see what it is!" It would probably expose more people to new games that they didn't expect to enjoy if you did top games in the sale with less than 10,000 gamers started or something like that.

Racxie, I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue. Eayragt isn't saying that AAA games aren't good and shouldn't be at the top. He's just saying most people know that and this list isn't telling them anything they don't already know.

Still good to see this kind of thing though.
He was talking about Fallout 4 and so shouldn't be on there being popular, and I was saying that pretty much every title on there is popular so it's not exactly alone in that sense. It should either be all "unknown/unpopular" titles or leave as it is.
eayragt
162,799
eayragt
Posted on 20 November 18 at 21:42, Edited on 20 November 18 at 21:48 by eayragt
Racxie said:
eayragt said:
Vok 250 said:
You probably should have put a threshold on minimum number of votes. Valkyria Chronicles 4 gets on the list with an average from only around 30 votes. Meanwhile games like Fallout 4 that also have 4.6/5 when rounded are nowhere to be seen. A 4.6 from 10000 people means a lot more than a 4.6 from 30 hardcore fans of a niche series.
Although learning that people like Fallout 4 isn't exactly news, so people finding out about less popular but highly rated games is more useful...
Considering the majority of the games on the list are all AAA or big budget titles, this argument doesn't really hold up.
My argument is putting in a minimum number of votes makes this list less helpful. Not sure how that argument doesn't hold up. I'm not saying this doesn't have well known AAA games in, to me this list has a medium amount off use, which would be lowered with thresholds.

As Garbo suggests, I would love a list like this for less popular games. That would be highly useful.

Edit:
He was talking about Fallout 4 and so shouldn't be on there being popular, and I was saying that pretty much every title on there is popular so it's not exactly alone in that sense. It should either be all "unknown/unpopular" titles or leave as it is.
No, I never said it shouldn't be there. I said it shouldn't be given priority over a Game with the same rating but less votes, as was suggested. So my opinion was leave as is, not change like suggested, so we actually agree.

The "games you may have missed" is a separate, great suggestion.
Say everything with a smile
EarthboundX
1,093,949
EarthboundX
Posted on 20 November 18 at 21:59, Edited on 20 November 18 at 22:02 by EarthboundX
TheGreatKoala said:
DiegoTan said:
Huh I thought "This Is the Police 2" is a very boring and badly planned game.
Yeah but it is an indie game, so it is "cool" to like it on the internet despite it very obviously sucking
What are you talking about? Have you seen Steam? Tons of indies games are hated with a passion. The current high score for This Is the Police 2 on TA is literally from 6 votes, that's it. Compare that to the 1148 high ratings The Witcher 3 has on TA.
ComboChrist
672,137
ComboChrist
Posted on 20 November 18 at 23:01, Edited on 20 November 18 at 23:03 by ComboChrist
Community-ratings on this site mean literally nothing.
MightySleigher
Posted on 20 November 18 at 23:50
Dang! I was surprised to see that Rise of the Tomb Raider had the "20 Year Celebration" bundle on sale for that low. That's a lot of extra DLC for not a lot of $$$. :D Somehow I missed that on the first article....
Bobblehead Joe
Posted on 21 November 18 at 00:50
DiegoTan said:
Huh I thought "This Is the Police 2" is a very boring and badly planned game.
Its funny when you skim through the list of all the great AAA games, then come across this game on the list lol
PsychicChicken
Posted on 21 November 18 at 00:51
ComboChrist said:
Community-ratings on this site mean literally nothing.
Some users rate a game based on the achievement list, others rate a game based on the game itself. Others, I'm sure, have different reasons for ratings.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.