Genre Discussion: Fallout 76 Forum

A messageboard for all things genres

Fallout 76 Multi-Genre Discussion

Related game: Fallout 76

AuthorMessage
Information Posted on 21 November 18 at 20:03
Please use this thread to discuss this game's classification under the multi-genre system.

If you disagree with the current genres, please click the "Add genre disagreement" button below.
Elliot Pierson
Posted on 23 January 19 at 05:06
MMO, really?
Vitiated1
Vitiated1
Posted on 23 January 19 at 05:29
It's massively multiplayer and also online
Information Posted on 23 January 19 at 06:26
TheMaize has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
shouldnt be survival.

While hunger, thirst and the environment can lead to debuffs, it cant lead to death. (except for falldamage, and standing in a radioactive spot for a very very long time)
Your death in this game will come from NPC enemies

This is not any more a survivalgame than fallout new vegas is.
Information Posted on 23 January 19 at 14:23
Sashamorning has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
I agree with Maize. Crafting isn't a major component, and this is primarily a PvE game, not player v environment.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 23 January 19 at 15:12
I'm confused... PvE literally stands for Player versus Environment...
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
TheMaize
TheMaize
Posted on 23 January 19 at 16:58
Shinnizle said:
I'm confused... PvE literally stands for Player versus Environment...
Yeah that's the literal translation. But as you probably also know, that's not the actual meaning.
IcyThrasher
IcyThrasher
Posted on 23 January 19 at 17:17
PvE is expressing that enemies in the environment are only going to be computer controlled. PvP is expressing that some or all enemies in the environment will also be controlled by other real life players.

It came about as a designation to zones in online games so that players could better identify which zones were safe from PKing and which ones weren't. Aka is this a safe environment or a hostile player killing environment.

So when Sasha was stating its pve not player vs environment, (sorry if I'm putting words into your mouth Sasha) I believe Sasha is saying it's mainly a safe zone where you fight other npcs as your enemies, it has nothing to do with surviving the elements.

Who knows, maybe everything I've stated is wrong but I don't believe so. Just figured I would try and clear up some confusion @Shinnizle.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 23 January 19 at 18:08
I've always used PvE to describe games modes like Zombies or Extinction in Call of Duty, or Horde in Gears of War, or Firefight in Halo... you get the picture. Maybe I'm just wrong.
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
Sashamorning
Sashamorning
Posted on 23 January 19 at 18:52
Fair point. My mistake.

Survival games are player vs environment. Enemies, but not necessarily. More importantly, the elements are the enemy. Think Long Dark, where wind, cold, etc will kill you the same as enemies. You have to build just about everything.

In F76, your camp is set up. You don't need to build anything, you don't really even NEED to get your own food; there's plenty of spawn around. Food/drink don't kill you. Radiation does, but that's environmental.

Call it survival horror if necessary, but it's not survival.

(NB: I can't actually believe I'm arguing for this. Losing the Survival tag knocks me down to from #1 to #2 on the Survival GS board.)
Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
Elliot Pierson
Posted on 24 January 19 at 13:38
Vitiated1 said:
I wouldn't exactly call 20 players "massively multiplayer online"
TheMaize
TheMaize
Posted on 24 January 19 at 13:57
Elliot Pierson said:
Vitiated1 said:
I wouldn't exactly call 20 players "massively multiplayer online"
Good point..24 people actually.
Isnt that less than destiny, which isn't flagged MMO?
Vitiated1
Vitiated1
Posted on 24 January 19 at 14:59
Destiny was also MMO, but the team asked that we change that one too. I'll remove both from this game.
Elliot Pierson
Posted on 25 January 19 at 00:04
Also something to add, what counts as massive? Sure 100 players in pubg is large, but it certainly doesn't feel like an MMO if you know what I mean?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.