Walkthroughs

Forum for discussing game walkthroughs

Mars: War Logs Walkthrough Discussion

• Posted on 26 November 18 at 15:18
    Please use this thread to discuss the Mars: War Logs walkthrough
  • Posted on 26 November 18 at 17:18
    There's likely not much of an audience for this, but it should be a comparatively short walkthrough. Feel free to ask questions!
    "This is all Joker's fault! What a tool he was! Now I have to spend all day computing Pi because he plugged in the overlord."
  • St3phosaurusSt3phosaurus164,806
    Posted on 26 November 18 at 17:33
    I think I bought this game on black Friday last year but haven't started it yet, so I'm sure a guide will be very useful!
  • Posted on 08 December 18 at 19:19
    St3phosaurus said:
    I think I bought this game on black Friday last year but haven't started it yet, so I'm sure a guide will be very useful!
    Good to know! I got it on sale for pretty cheap as well. It's short but definitely worth the price. My only advice is to watch out for the completionist achievement since the side quests are very finicky.

I'm hoping to finish it sometime this month, but we'll see.
    "This is all Joker's fault! What a tool he was! Now I have to spend all day computing Pi because he plugged in the overlord."
  • Posted on 21 January 19 at 05:08, Edited on 28 May 19 at 22:26 by NicoleRenee00
    UPDATE: Chapter One is finished, leaving two more left. Hopefully I can keep up the pace.
  • C64 MatC64 Mat1,105,209
    Posted on 30 January 19 at 17:14
    I'll definitely use it, I'm still on Chapter One!
    https://www.exophase.com/user/Mataeus
  • Posted on 11 June 19 at 12:00
    UPDATE: Chapter Two is finished, which is the longest portion of the game. I'm hoping to finish the last chapter soon while I'm on a roll. As usual, I'm going incredibly slow. laugh But I'd say I'm about 70% percent through the walkthrough now.
    "Only the innocent burn in Novigrad."
  • NomstuffNomstuff700,734
    Posted on 11 June 19 at 12:01
    woo
  • Posted on 05 July 19 at 03:31
    UPDATE: The walkthrough is now finished and pending review!
    "Only the innocent burn in Novigrad."
  • NomstuffNomstuff700,734
    Posted on 05 July 19 at 08:41
    Woohoo!

dang3r quit your slacking
  • Dang3R GamingDang3R Gaming1,237,753
    Posted on 05 July 19 at 11:33
    I'll get to it when I have time ty.
  • WildWhiteNoiseWildWhiteNoise1,176,378
    Posted on 25 October 19 at 12:10
    First of all it's a great guide, thanks a lot for doing it.
    One thing I'd mention is that if I follow the guide word by word as suggested in the beginning I will stay neutral throughout the game even without harvesting a single enemy. My aim was to get the good reputation so I could enjoy the benefits of the store discount and companion HP/damage. But following the guide it's better to just kill and harvest every enemy to get the other benefits and rack up money in the process to help you on extreme difficulty.
  • Posted on 25 October 19 at 14:46
    WildWhiteNoise said:
    First of all it's a great guide, thanks a lot for doing it.
    One thing I'd mention is that if I follow the guide word by word as suggested in the beginning I will stay neutral throughout the game even without harvesting a single enemy. My aim was to get the good reputation so I could enjoy the benefits of the store discount and companion HP/damage. But following the guide it's better to just kill and harvest every enemy to get the other benefits and rack up money in the process to help you on extreme difficulty.
    Thanks for the tip!

I'm not sure if there's a way around the neutral reputation, as a few quests require you to make bad decisions. So that might be a good note to make at the beginning. I'll edit it in here in a few minutes.
    If war never changes, then men must change, and so must their symbols. Even if it is nothing at all, know what you follow, Courier."
  • Paw McCatneyPaw McCatney640,213
    Posted on 20 August 20 at 07:04, Edited on 21 August 20 at 06:29 by Paw McCatney
    Really appreciate the guide so far. This game is truly frustrating on Extreme, but I'm liking the story enough to stick with it.

I do have a concern about something: I'm at the save point at the very end of Chapter 2 prior to choosing a side. I've followed the guide and done all the available quests. Theoretically, I'd have filled an entire skill tree by now (the Soldier one, as was suggested) based on the level I'm at. But on page 2 of the walkthrough, it says:

Mandatory Skills

Rogue Tree
    First Aid
    Subtility
    Hotshot
    Soldier Tree
    Tough Skin
    Science of Evasion
    Weapons Mastery
    Technomancer Tree
    Deep Impact
    Empowering Fluid

I've taken this to mean (possibly incorrectly) that I need to fully upgrade all of these skills, which I did as early as possible. You recommend grinding levels in Chapter 2, but by my calculation, that is going to take... a really long time (I need to grind out 5 full levels, and enemies seem to only be worth a couple hundred XP) for me to be able to max out the rest of that skill tree before I move on to Chapter 3.

Did you intend for me to completely max out the above skills in both the Rogue/Technomancer trees (which is basically 8 levels worth)? Or just put a single point in them? As it doesn't matter for me at this point personally, but possibly other people who follow this guide in the future, it would be helpful if that was clearer.

My next question is, can you confirm if the XP given on Extreme is the same as Easy in terms of combat? I only ask because if so, it would be a lot easier to grind those extra levels when I reload my Chapter 2 save and bump the difficulty down to Easy to finish the second playthrough. Suffering through a ton of extra combat on this stupidly difficult Extreme mode just doesn't seem worth it.

And I guess if the answer to that is 'no', then is there really not that much XP available in Chapter 3 for me to just do all those quests and grind some kills there?

Thanks for the excellent guide, either way. Now that I think about it, I might just bump the difficulty down now and test out the XP gain on Easy for fighting a group of enemies.

EDIT: It appears you get the same XP on Easy as you do on Extreme, for anyone wondering. I'm just going to fly through the rest of Extreme, and then do my level grinding on my 2nd half play on Easy.
    Hey, you! Pipe down!
  • Posted on 21 August 20 at 17:11, Edited on 23 August 20 at 16:42 by NicoleRenee00
    Paw McCatney said:
    Really appreciate the guide so far. This game is truly frustrating on Extreme, but I'm liking the story enough to stick with it.
    Thanks! I'm going to try to answer all of your questions in sections. It's been a long while since I've played the game, but I'll do my best.

I do have a concern about something: I'm at the save point at the very end of Chapter 2 prior to choosing a side. I've followed the guide and done all the available quests. Theoretically, I'd have filled an entire skill tree by now (the Soldier one, as was suggested) based on the level I'm at. But on page 2 of the walkthrough, it says:

Mandatory Skills

Rogue Tree
    First Aid
    Subtility
    Hotshot
    Soldier Tree
    Tough Skin
    Science of Evasion
    Weapons Mastery
    Technomancer Tree
    Deep Impact
    Empowering Fluid

I've taken this to mean (possibly incorrectly) that I need to fully upgrade all of these skills, which I did as early as possible. You recommend grinding levels in Chapter 2, but by my calculation, that is going to take... a really long time (I need to grind out 5 full levels, and enemies seem to only be worth a couple hundred XP) for me to be able to max out the rest of that skill tree before I move on to Chapter 3.

Did you intend for me to completely max out the above skills in both the Rogue/Technomancer trees (which is basically 8 levels worth)? Or just put a single point in them? As it doesn't matter for me at this point personally, but possibly other people who follow this guide in the future, it would be helpful if that was clearer.
    I believe it was just a single point in each. They're crucial skills that make the game easier, so they're worth upgrading completely, but it's not mandatory. I'll make a note in the walkthrough that makes this more clear.

My next question is, can you confirm if the XP given on Extreme is the same as Easy in terms of combat? I only ask because if so, it would be a lot easier to grind those extra levels when I reload my Chapter 2 save and bump the difficulty down to Easy to finish the second playthrough. Suffering through a ton of extra combat on this stupidly difficult Extreme mode just doesn't seem worth it. See first EDIT below.
    You answered this question already, but I'll add your findings into the walkthrough for others to see. (with credit to your comment).

- The below paragraph from the walkthrough in Chapter 3 should probably mention that there's a technician uniform in a crate that's just inside the left door by climbing the ladder. If you're low on funds and can tough it out until that point with whatever existing gear you have, just grab it there instead of buying it:

Head to the back of the platform (where the Technomancer was) and drop down from the edge. From here, you have two directions to travel. Either head through the door on the left, or continue straight and turn right to face more guards. I recommend the left path, as it will take you to the objective much faster. Once through the door, turn right this time. The ladder to the left leads back the way you came. At the end of the path will be more guards and another Technomancer. Take them out, and then examine the metal structure in the back of the cavern.

- Speaking of being low on funds/resources, the Industrial Complex has respawning enemies past where the friendly mutants are, up a ladder. There's a group of four. After defeating them, you can go down the far right ladder, and there's a dead body there with 87 serum. It was the same amount on both Extreme and Easy difficulties. Oddly enough, the Extreme difficulty had nobody in that bottom room to fight, but on Easy, there were a few dogs.
    I'll edit the section to mention the Technomancer guide and respawning enemies. Might be useful for someone that needs to grind out some last minute XP. Thanks for all the feedback. toast

Edit: Updates are written, just need overseer confirmation now.
    "Truth is, game was rigged from the start."
  • Paw McCatneyPaw McCatney640,213
    Posted on 23 August 20 at 22:23
    NicoleRenee00 said:
    Paw McCatney said:
    Thanks! I'm going to try to answer all of your questions in sections. It's been a long while since I've played the game, but I'll do my best.

Mandatory Skills

Rogue Tree
    First Aid
    Subtility
    Hotshot
    Soldier Tree
    Tough Skin
    Science of Evasion
    Weapons Mastery
    Technomancer Tree
    Deep Impact
    Empowering Fluid

I believe it was just a single point in each. They're crucial skills that make the game easier, so they're worth upgrading completely, but it's not mandatory. I'll make a note in the walkthrough that makes this more clear.

My next question is, can you confirm if the XP given on Extreme is the same as Easy in terms of combat? I only ask because if so, it would be a lot easier to grind those extra levels when I reload my Chapter 2 save and bump the difficulty down to Easy to finish the second playthrough. Suffering through a ton of extra combat on this stupidly difficult Extreme mode just doesn't seem worth it. See first EDIT below.
    You answered this question already, but I'll add your findings into the walkthrough for others to see. (with credit to your comment).

- The below paragraph from the walkthrough in Chapter 3 should probably mention that there's a technician uniform in a crate that's just inside the left door by climbing the ladder. If you're low on funds and can tough it out until that point with whatever existing gear you have, just grab it there instead of buying it:

Head to the back of the platform (where the Technomancer was) and drop down from the edge. From here, you have two directions to travel. Either head through the door on the left, or continue straight and turn right to face more guards. I recommend the left path, as it will take you to the objective much faster. Once through the door, turn right this time. The ladder to the left leads back the way you came. At the end of the path will be more guards and another Technomancer. Take them out, and then examine the metal structure in the back of the cavern.

- Speaking of being low on funds/resources, the Industrial Complex has respawning enemies past where the friendly mutants are, up a ladder. There's a group of four. After defeating them, you can go down the far right ladder, and there's a dead body there with 87 serum. It was the same amount on both Extreme and Easy difficulties. Oddly enough, the Extreme difficulty had nobody in that bottom room to fight, but on Easy, there were a few dogs.
    I'll edit the section to mention the Technomancer guide and respawning enemies. Might be useful for someone that needs to grind out some last minute XP. Thanks for all the feedback. toast

Edit: Updates are written, just need overseer confirmation now.
    Awesome toast
    Hey, you! Pipe down!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.