Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Games with Gold Titles Revealed for December 2018

AuthorMessage
Algur
Algur
Posted on 05 December 18 at 13:41
RadiantViper said:
Algur said:
RadiantViper said:
Algur said:
He's saying your argument can easily be made in support of the point your arguing against. If an argument can be used to support either point, then it's a poor argument.
But it can't at all. I said Person 2 was factually wrong.

And at what point does the {#}historical data{#} reflect that GwG has been available for 5 years? It's nonsense that because a subscription adds a new feature that the price only applies to the original features. The new feature is part of the service that people pay for, just because it wasn't there before doesn't make it free.
Until a more precise metric is made available by Microsoft. It is impracticable to determine the cost of GwG as Microsoft does not provide an itemized invoice. So we look back at historical data to see how price fluctuated when the feature was added. As the price did not increase, we do not have any data to determine a price point for GwG.

Your arguments are theoretical in nature. Everyone else is making practical arguments. That's why there is a disconnect here.
What exactly is theoretical about having to pay for Gold?

It doesn't matter what fraction of the payment is towards GwG. It could be 1 cent, it could be 30 dollars. It's paid, therefore it's not free.
You misunderstand my statement. The following link has a pretty good explanation of theory vs. practice.

https://words.steveklabnik.com/theory-and-practice
DrunkLastKnight
Posted on 05 December 18 at 15:17
Can I say the games are free for me since I get my Gold sub for free?
FullNietzsche
FullNietzsche
Posted on 05 December 18 at 15:51
DrunkLastKnight said:
Can I say the games are free for me since I get my Gold sub for free?
You can unless by getting it free you mean in exchange for hours of time earning Microsoft Rewards points which you could have otherwise spent on games directly. Otherwise no wink
BetaSigX20
BetaSigX20
Posted on 05 December 18 at 16:43, Edited on 05 December 18 at 16:43 by BetaSigX20
So, when I go to a restaurant, I can get free refills on my soda. I usually only drink one soda during the course of a meal, while my friend could drink three or more. Both drinks cost us $1.29 on the bill, but for the same $1.29, my friend had three drinks, while I only had one.

There are several ways to interpret this:
1. We both paid for one drink, and my friend got two "free" extra drinks.
2. I paid $1.29 for my drink, and my friend got three drinks @ $0.43 each (better value for the money, if still not "free").
3. My friend has fallen victim to a marketing scam that makes him think he got a better value than he did, and I should spend the rest of the meal warning him that he's being taken in by false advertising and unethical corporate greed.

I think interpretations 1 and 2 are valid... 3, not so much.
spankyNspronkle
Posted on 05 December 18 at 17:21
FullNietzsche said:
You can unless by getting it free you mean in exchange for hours of time earning Microsoft Rewards points which you could have otherwise spent on games directly. Otherwise no wink
The whole premise of what the two of you have been arguing gets intriguing in this last comment. The more appropriate philosophical discussion would be whether or not anything is ever free. If you take this example you've provided, the answer would be no as everything requires some form of time or money (or both) to claim.

Someone handing out free food down the road isn't free if you have to use time going to pick up the food that could have been spent working somewhere for pay... etc.

I still stand by the fact that the examples presented on why its "not free" actually end up proving that PC online gaming isn't free since you have to pay for the internet.
Tatl360
Tatl360
Posted on 05 December 18 at 17:42
spankyNspronkle said:
I still stand by the fact that the examples presented on why its "not free" actually end up proving that PC online gaming isn't free since you have to pay for the internet.
It magically doesn't count for them on this example. roll

Another example used, electricity, is a bit extreme. To think a person will purchase electricity service to power up the Xbox. Possible, but unlikely.
But for the internet there are examples here on this site. People talk about their metered internet connections and how they can't download large games. Some people probably got a better internet like a home service (in case they only used mobile before) for the Xbox. Possible and likely.

The games are free. It's a strategy to keep the paid subscriber, not a product they are selling.
They probably also take into account that maintaining paid subscribers on Xbox Live, a fraction of these will not subscribe to paid services on other platforms, like the sony playstation whatever-live.
For example the battle over the TV entertainment by the channels and cable TV providers against Netflix is clear. They offered apps to access content in many devices in the last years. They are not selling that. They are clearly positioning themselves against netflix subscriptions. Because several people cancelled their old subscriptions for netflix.
FullNietzsche
FullNietzsche
Posted on 05 December 18 at 18:23
spankyNspronkle said:
FullNietzsche said:
The whole premise of what the two of you have been arguing gets intriguing in this last comment. The more appropriate philosophical discussion would be whether or not anything is ever free. If you take this example you've provided, the answer would be no as everything requires some form of time or money (or both) to claim.

Someone handing out free food down the road isn't free if you have to use time going to pick up the food that could have been spent working somewhere for pay... etc.

I still stand by the fact that the examples presented on why its {#}not free{#} actually end up proving that PC online gaming isn't free since you have to pay for the internet.
That would only be true if my ISP was the company which provided the online gaming.
spankyNspronkle
Posted on 05 December 18 at 18:36
FullNietzsche said:
spankyNspronkle said:
FullNietzsche said:

I still stand by the fact that the examples presented on why its {#}not free{#} actually end up proving that PC online gaming isn't free since you have to pay for the internet.
That would only be true if my ISP was the company which provided the online gaming.
Doesn't matter. Money spent is money spent. "If you must pay, it's not free"

If you play an EA game on Xbox... you pay your ISP and Microsoft
If you play an EA game on PS4... you pay your ISP and Sony
If you play an EA game on PC... you pay your ISP

EA doesn't get a cut of the Microsoft, Sony or ISP money... so your argument of who provides the gaming is irrelevant.
RadiantViper
RadiantViper
Posted on 05 December 18 at 19:55
Elyoh said:
RadiantViper said:
Elyoh said:
Just because the profit from something you've purchased covers extras that come with it, doesn't mean you paid for those extras. You covered the costs of those extras, but that doesn't mean you paid for them. That's the crossover that's happening here and causing arguments to talk past each other.
"Just because you paid for something doesn't mean it cost you"
Fixed to actually exemplify what I said. And if it didn't cost you, by definition, is that not free? If what, what definition do you use?

Something else needs clarifying here, when EXACTLY does money stop being yours? If I spend money somewhere, and that business uses that money, is it my money that paid for it? If they pay an employee with it, did I pay that employee? If that employee buys a gun and shoots somebody, did I pay for that? For the majority of us, it seems it's not ours the instant you pass it over to the company.

Whether they spend that money on giving something back, or on their new Ferrari, doesn't make a difference. It's not our money at that point.
Your "fix" looks just as amusing as my version did.
DrunkLastKnight
Posted on 05 December 18 at 20:01
Never ceases to amaze me with the semantics that go on practically each month over free vs not
RadiantViper
RadiantViper
Posted on 05 December 18 at 20:04
Algur said:
RadiantViper said:
Algur said:
RadiantViper said:
Algur said:
He's saying your argument can easily be made in support of the point your arguing against. If an argument can be used to support either point, then it's a poor argument.
But it can't at all. I said Person 2 was factually wrong.

And at what point does the {#}historical data{#} reflect that GwG has been available for 5 years? It's nonsense that because a subscription adds a new feature that the price only applies to the original features. The new feature is part of the service that people pay for, just because it wasn't there before doesn't make it free.
Until a more precise metric is made available by Microsoft. It is impracticable to determine the cost of GwG as Microsoft does not provide an itemized invoice. So we look back at historical data to see how price fluctuated when the feature was added. As the price did not increase, we do not have any data to determine a price point for GwG.

Your arguments are theoretical in nature. Everyone else is making practical arguments. That's why there is a disconnect here.
What exactly is theoretical about having to pay for Gold?

It doesn't matter what fraction of the payment is towards GwG. It could be 1 cent, it could be 30 dollars. It's paid, therefore it's not free.
You misunderstand my statement. The following link has a pretty good explanation of theory vs. practice.

https://words.steveklabnik.com/theory-and-practice
Not really, that's a lot of word vomit instead of an accurate explanation.

I would not call ignoring a part of the service you're paying for and believing it to be free as "practical".
RadiantViper
RadiantViper
Posted on 05 December 18 at 20:07
spankyNspronkle said:
FullNietzsche said:
spankyNspronkle said:
FullNietzsche said:

Doesn't matter. Money spent is money spent. {#}If you must pay, it's not free{#}

If you play an EA game on Xbox... you pay your ISP and Microsoft
If you play an EA game on PS4... you pay your ISP and Sony
If you play an EA game on PC... you pay your ISP

EA doesn't get a cut of the Microsoft, Sony or ISP money... so your argument of who provides the gaming is irrelevant.
Yes, it does matter. Games with Gold is a DIRECT benefit of Gold. That's the point. No one is arguing this "nothing is truly free" nonsense so stop acting like it.
Elyoh
Elyoh
Posted on 05 December 18 at 23:18, Edited on 05 December 18 at 23:20 by Elyoh
RadiantViper said:
It would, to someone who can't understand the difference. If Microsoft decided to use the profit from Gold to build a bridge I would then drive across every day, you could argue that I paid for it, but it wouldn't have cost me. It cost Microsoft. It wasn't my money at that point, it's Microsoft's. If they use their money to give something to you that you haven't specifically paid for, it hasn't cost you, and is free to you. Why do you think it's still your money once you've given it over? Or, as it appears you think this way, why is it still your money if its use affects you?
No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
RadiantViper
RadiantViper
Posted on 06 December 18 at 00:00, Edited on 06 December 18 at 00:01 by RadiantViper
Elyoh said:
RadiantViper said:
It would, to someone who can't understand the difference. If Microsoft decided to use the profit from Gold to build a bridge I would then drive across every day, you could argue that I paid for it, but it wouldn't have cost me. It cost Microsoft. It wasn't my money at that point, it's Microsoft's. If they use their money to give something to you that you haven't specifically paid for, it hasn't cost you, and is free to you. Why do you think it's still your money once you've given it over? Or, as it appears you think this way, why is it still your money if its use affects you?
"If you give someone money and they give something to you, it's free"

Try actually listening to what you're saying laugh You're trying to make some imaginary division between paying for Gold and getting GwG. It's called GAMES WITH GOLD, man. It's part of the service, end of discussion.
Elyoh
Elyoh
Posted on 06 December 18 at 00:37, Edited on 06 December 18 at 00:40 by Elyoh
So if they changed the name, you'd happily consider them free?

Your ability to so poorly summarize my statements display that you're still talking past me. If you something extra and above what you paid for, then that's free, in terms of what it cost you. If we're talking costs here.
RadiantViper
RadiantViper
Posted on 06 December 18 at 00:42
Elyoh said:
So if they changed the name, you'd happily consider them free?

Your ability to so poorly summarize my statements display that you're still talking past me. If you something extra and above what you paid for, then that's free, in terms of what it cost you. If we're talking costs here.
Of course not. I'm pointing out how the title of the program blatantly shows how it's a direct benefit from Gold, not something apart from it like people in this thread like to claim.

It's not extra. It's not above what I paid for. It's part of the Gold service. And it's not free, because Gold costs money.
Elyoh
Elyoh
Posted on 06 December 18 at 01:11
I imagine this is just a difference in the terms paid and cost. It wouldn't necessarily be wrong to state you've paid for GwG. Just as it wouldn't be wrong to start that GwG cost you nothing, both can be true at the same time.
RadiantViper
RadiantViper
Posted on 06 December 18 at 01:38
Elyoh said:
I imagine this is just a difference in the terms paid and cost. It wouldn't necessarily be wrong to state you've paid for GwG. Just as it wouldn't be wrong to start that GwG cost you nothing, both can be true at the same time.
No they can't, because you need Gold to get Games with Gold and Gold costs money.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 06 December 18 at 03:45
Please, someone lock this thread... that poor dead horse is getting slaughtered across every fucking plane of existence possible roll
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
ThreeHaddock62
Posted on 06 December 18 at 04:19
Shinnizle said:
Please, someone lock this thread... that poor dead horse is getting slaughtered across every fucking plane of existence possible roll
Seconded, this thread is simply an embarrassment.
Hola
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.