Game Discussion: Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms Forum

Information & Resources (Ask Questions Here)

AuthorMessage
JimbotUK
JimbotUK
Posted on 19 December 18 at 08:24
Sashamorning said:
Okay, not to be stingy, because I am totally behind supporting indie devs as much as possible...

But what is the best plan of attack for those of us not planning to purchase any other characters or other things? I noticed the Google doc in the OP listing several characters that needed to be purchased.

Yeah, it'll take longer, but any suggestions about how to go from there?
All the same tips and strategies will apply, spending money will just speed you along a bit.

You will slowly unlock new characters f2p through the timegates, events and by playing through the campaign.

With the spreadsheet you want to filter it to the champions that you have and then you are good to go.
Sashamorning
Sashamorning
Posted on 19 December 18 at 08:36
Gotcha. I'm a bit more up to speed on unlocking through timegates than I was when I posted.

Thanks! toast
Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
QuickMythril
QuickMythril
Posted on 19 December 18 at 13:44, Edited on 19 December 18 at 13:52 by QuickMythril
yeah if you only bought one champ for $, i'd probably say Deekin, since he cuts your time down by 1/3 for a large part of the run back to your wall. as sasha said, I encourage supporting the devs too, but personally i don't plan on picking Champions as a cash purchase.

-This Weekend- the first timegate will open. this allows you to pick one of 3 champions, and earn two gold chests with gear for them. timegates always include at least one champ you don't already have, so eventually you'd be able to get everyone. (and all the related achievements.)

there will be the first event (Wintershield) on console in another week bringing Barrowin, so you could skip her if she is in the gates. feel free to post here or in discord, if you are unsure of who to pick.
https://idle-champions.wikia.com/wiki/EVENTS

ALSO: unrelated. i just realized when streaming to mixer thru the xbox you can share your controller. this means there is the possibility to control the game remotely if you need to. i'm usually on there if anyone needs help or wants to check it out.

EDIT: also I don't think the champs unlocked thru campaign would count towards the Event Champ achievements. at least it shouldn't. anyone have Drizzt yet and can check their tracker?
WOODY2211
WOODY2211
Posted on 19 December 18 at 13:49
I just checked my timegate and it says 2 days 6 hours. Is this different for everyone?
QuickMythril
QuickMythril
Posted on 19 December 18 at 13:52, Edited on 19 December 18 at 13:54 by QuickMythril
haha sorry I am an idiot!! that's correct. time gate this weekend is what I meant. starting in two days.

there is also an update today (assuming for all platforms) that will include new adventures, so I was thinking of that. thanks for the quick catch... sorry again!

edit: they will probably be later unlocked adventures, so chances are no one on xbox will be there yet. however I am really hoping there will be some fixes or features added with the patch as well. they haven't said anything specifically, so there may be nothing.
WOODY2211
WOODY2211
Posted on 19 December 18 at 13:55
No problem. Is there anywhere to find out what formation and what champions to move in and out at certain times in a run. I'm progressing but when I get to area 75 it's like running into a brick wall. 0-50 I can do in less than 20 minutes but when it comes to choosing between Tyril and later I've no clue.
SkinnyBoi1985
SkinnyBoi1985
Posted on 19 December 18 at 13:59
The ocd in me hopes that they change it to allow you to purchase hero straight to level 10, 25 etc rather than buying at level 1 then being able to level up 10 levels
WOODY2211
WOODY2211
Posted on 19 December 18 at 14:01
I just press LB to change the option to upgrade to next upgrade and not 1 level at a time. I find it a lot quicker earlier on.
QuickMythril
QuickMythril
Posted on 19 December 18 at 14:10
usually when you first get to the point when you can purchase a champion, they will be not very useful, as it takes a few upgrades to get all their bonuses ready. but it also can depend on the gear you have for them. you can stop in discord if you like, there is always someone there to give formation advice.
SkinnyBoi1985
SkinnyBoi1985
Posted on 19 December 18 at 14:15
WOODY2211 said:
I just press LB to change the option to upgrade to next upgrade and not 1 level at a time. I find it a lot quicker earlier on.
yeah I am aware of that, I meant when you purchase it, it goes to level 10, 25 etc instantly, currently if you have it at +10 levels and a new hero is available to buy, it still starts at lvl 1 even if you have +10 selected, so I then do 9 levels individually just to get it to 10, then I can go back to +10.

Like I said OCD in me laugh
WOODY2211
WOODY2211
Posted on 20 December 18 at 22:01
So I just used a potion to upgrade a random item to "shiny" but the achievemnt didn't pop. I guess you have to get the item out of a chest, does anyone know if this is correct please?
Gortus
Gortus
Posted on 20 December 18 at 22:12, Edited on 20 December 18 at 22:12 by Gortus
This weekend there's supposed to be an event, I think - but also this weekend a time portal opens up. Those are separate things, right? Do we need to choose which to participate in, or are we intended to find a way to do both, or what?
BloodGodAlucard
BloodGodAlucard
Posted on 20 December 18 at 22:19
WOODY2211 said:
So I just used a potion to upgrade a random item to "shiny" but the achievemnt didn't pop. I guess you have to get the item out of a chest, does anyone know if this is correct please?
I got my achievement after I got a shiny from a chest.

Gortus said:
This weekend there's supposed to be an event, I think - but also this weekend a time portal opens up. Those are separate things, right? Do we need to choose which to participate in, or are we intended to find a way to do both, or what?
I'm under the impression that the time gate opening is the event. Two of them open per month I believe. Then you can open one yourself for 6 shards during the off week. Please correct me if I'm incorrect here Mythril. lol
Gortus
Gortus
Posted on 20 December 18 at 22:55
Ah ok that makes sense if true.

Also, the upgrade order spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G5_yKz3Osn4vvIu_eCLt...) doesn't have Jamilah, is that character new or is there some other reason?
QuickMythril
QuickMythril
Posted on 21 December 18 at 00:34, Edited on 21 December 18 at 00:36 by QuickMythril
you can open time gates using 6 pieces anytime, Except within the 72 hours Before a scheduled free opening. you can also close the scheduled gate early anytime (say if you stop getting good favor gains from it) and then open the one with your pieces during the weekend buffs. favor in gates is like favor in events, when they end you can "convert" the favor to another campaign (torm, kel, helm). it acts as a multiplier and counts even the favor you already spent on blessings.

events convert at 10% "per e" … so if you earn 1e8 favor, you will get 80% of whichever you pick.
1e10 is 100 (or doubling it)
time gates give 1/4 of what events do
so 1e10 gives 25%

usually for early players they say around 80-100% (or 20-25 for TG) is reasonable, but after that progression slows and time is better spent earning the favor you are going to convert into. not really sure since I am starting over and there have been updates, but I guess we will see how it goes. :)

gortus: that sheet only shows party buffs and gold find, because not everyone will have the same DPS, you are expected to upgrade that as needed. jamilah has no upgrades other than for herself.

woody: I will check my potion of polish as well, figured I would wait until I see who I get from a time gate, as those can hit any unlocked champ, even without all 6 gear.
WOODY2211
WOODY2211
Posted on 21 December 18 at 00:43
My achievement popped once I started a new run. Forgot to come back, sorry.
Majinbro
Majinbro
Posted on 21 December 18 at 20:32
I've played some on steam around 250 hours or so just got my first time gate which is offering Stoki i've used her before replaces Jarl as a gold maxing character but have never used these other two characters Birdsong and Diath any suggestions as to who would be a good choice from this time gate.
BloodGodAlucard
BloodGodAlucard
Posted on 21 December 18 at 21:24
So my timegate choices are Greengrass, Farideh, and Wulfgar. Who would you guys recommend? I did some google searching but none of them seem to be considered top tier. So I wasn't able to figure out who to take. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also I was wondering, is this considered an event? I ask because I read events last 2 weeks. But this says the gate closes in less than 3 days. So it's just a time gate then? So we shouldn't use the contracts to gain event tokens right? Since it won't count. Just wanting some clarification before I mess up. lol

Thanks to anyone that can help me understand this better. toast
QuickMythril
QuickMythril
Posted on 21 December 18 at 21:49
right, no tokens during the time gate. you can unlock a champion and get two gold chests for them, then you can do the free play and convert the favor, like in events but only 25% as much of a conversion rate. the time gate free play doesn't cost tokens but also doesn't award any more chests. early on it may not really be worth trying to earn the favor, it depends if you can earn more just by doing the normal free plays for the favor you want to gain. also remember a 10% gain in a run means 10% of what you have unspent, but 10% gain from conversion also counts your spent favor.
QuickMythril
QuickMythril
Posted on 21 December 18 at 22:03
Majinbro, people seemed to suggest Stoki, as Jarlaxle provides no buffs in that same slot. Birdsong is good but it can depend a little.

BloodGod, farideh is not "the best of all", but likely the best choice of those three.

in many cases you'll end up with 3 champs that really aren't too helpful with only 2 chests. sometimes they may have a use in a few variants, but generally for farming you won't use them. none of the ones asked about were really must-haves, so if I missed your messages in time and you already picked someone else, don't worry about it.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.