Industry News Forum

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Starbreeze Has Had a Rough Couple of Days

AuthorMessage
AnthroMetal
AnthroMetal
Posted on 06 December 18 at 04:39
Reconstruction and insider trading oh my,,,,

Please click here to read the story: Starbreeze Has Had a Rough Couple of Days
ProfessorPluto
Posted on 06 December 18 at 05:12
Damn. What a week for them.

I really hope the reconstruction works and the employees get to keep their jobs. Seen too many shutterings of late!

Also hope this doesn't affect the console release of Overkill's Walking Dead. Really looking forward to it! Inb4 toxic people coming in and celebrate because of payday related stuff.
100% Completed Games: 280 Proudest 100%: Dead Island 1250/1250
Danno Omen
Danno Omen
Posted on 06 December 18 at 05:13
Feel for this studio. Syndicate was one of my favorite games from the 360 generation. Hope they can turn it around. Maybe MS can rescue them?
Pandasaur cx
114,114 114,114 GamerScore
Pandasaur cx
Posted on 06 December 18 at 05:26
I was excited for the game but after playing it on PC, no just no...
MC PHILABUSTA
MC PHILABUSTA
Posted on 06 December 18 at 05:51
What's wrong with the walking dead overall?
GREGO McGEE
GREGO McGEE
Posted on 06 December 18 at 06:23
What do you mean "last months" walking dead. The game hasn't come out yet.
NutriWhip
NutriWhip
Posted on 06 December 18 at 06:36
GREGO McGEE said:
What do you mean "last months" walking dead. The game hasn't come out yet.
It has on PC.
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 06 December 18 at 08:36
How about you patch your fucking game to work properly and then shut down forever unless you actually intend on making good games again. I miss the Starbreeze that put out Riddick and The Darkness...
What can change the nature of a man?
Sashamorning
Sashamorning
Posted on 06 December 18 at 10:01
Riddick was an amazing game.
Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
JohnnyInterfnk
Posted on 06 December 18 at 10:12
Sashamorning said:
Riddick was an amazing game.
The Darkness was also great (at least for its time)
Haukkis
Haukkis
Posted on 06 December 18 at 11:15
Damn. I loded Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, still one of the best movie license games ever made.
dlCHIEF58
dlCHIEF58
Posted on 06 December 18 at 17:40
Awoo said:
How about you patch your fucking game to work properly and then shut down forever unless you actually intend on making good games again. I miss the Starbreeze that put out Riddick and The Darkness...
Well for one, the last game Starbreeze actually made was Brothers - they did not make Payday 2 nor OVERKILL's Walking Dead game. Both were made by OVERKILL who are now a subsidiary of Starbreeze which now seems more interested in publishing than actually making games now. Not saying Starbreeze isn't responsible for some of the recent problems with those games (as they are the boss), but the programming is on the actual developer.
dlCHIEF58
dlCHIEF58
Posted on 06 December 18 at 17:44, Edited on 06 December 18 at 20:24 by dlCHIEF58
Haukkis said:
Damn. I loded Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, still one of the best movie license games ever made.
Also The Thing which they also made, but being an OG Xbox game it doesn't get the love it deserves here due to the lack of achievements. Would have loved to see a remaster/remake of that game.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was remembering wrong as Starbreeze evidently did not make it. Would still love to see a remake of it, but that developer went under soon after this game came out while working on a sequel.
Atarnis
Atarnis
Posted on 06 December 18 at 18:27
I would care more if they'd actually made a game worth playing (or even buying) in recent years but they haven't. I'm not a fan of Payday or Walking Dead sadly. A new Riddick game or even a re-release of them would be cool but I remain skeptical.
Atarnis
Atarnis
Posted on 06 December 18 at 18:54
dlCHIEF58 said:
Haukkis said:
Also The Thing which they also made, but being an OG Xbox game it doesn't get the love it deserves here due to the lack of achievements. Would have loved to see a remaster/remake of that game.
Which The Thing are you referring to?
BigNev44
BigNev44
Posted on 06 December 18 at 20:08
Atarnis said:
dlCHIEF58 said:
Haukkis said:
Agreed, i played the hell out of it when it first released, the trust factor in the game was beyond it's time, last time i've played it was when the recent movie came out years ago.

It came out on the OG Xbox, it was meant to be a sequel of the old Kurt Russell film, i remember reading that it was considered canon but i'm probably thinking of Alien: Colonial Marines or another movie based game.
dlCHIEF58
dlCHIEF58
Posted on 06 December 18 at 20:11, Edited on 06 December 18 at 20:19 by dlCHIEF58
Atarnis said:
dlCHIEF58 said:
Haukkis said:
The one based on the John Carpenter movie The Thing which was on the original Xbox and PC (probably PS2 as well). It is actually set up as a sequel to that movie instead of based on it (like they did with the two Riddick games). That approach i why their movie IP based games are among the best.

I don't know of any other game under that name to be quite honest.

EDIT: OK I was mistaken, I was sure they made that game but apparently not. I was sure I saw an interview years ago when they discussed it and the first Riddick game with their approach of not simply rehashing the movie script, which made them good games.
ComboChrist
ComboChrist
Posted on 06 December 18 at 21:25
Awoo said:
How about you patch your fucking game to work properly and then shut down forever unless you actually intend on making good games again.
^this. But I would be fine with them just going down.
Kaz Adama
Kaz Adama
Posted on 07 December 18 at 00:38
Starbreeze is the publisher for Psychonauts 2, I sure hope that game will get released without a problem.
Rossco7530
Rossco7530
Posted on 07 December 18 at 10:02
Pandasaur cx said:
I was excited for the game but after playing it on PC, no just no...
Wait... a TV or movie spinoff game is rubbish. I don't believe it! wink
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.