Site Wishlist Forum

Got some ideas about how to make the site better? Post them here

Reduce the ads

AuthorMessage
xxDAMRONxx
xxDAMRONxx
Posted on 10 December 18 at 07:17
Every page is loaded with a banner and at least 3-4 side ads and then pop-up ad amidst all that.

Not only are you ruining your website by making every page have WAY too much garbage on them, you are also creating countless outlets for viruses and worms to your users. I understand you need money, but you really need to tone it down a little it has gotten out of hand.
xxDAMRONxx
xxDAMRONxx
Posted on 10 December 18 at 07:21
For clarification, I installed adblock, and it is blocking 16-19 ads PER PAGE. Seriously guys...have some respect for your users
RayvenMorrigana
RayvenMorrigana
Posted on 10 December 18 at 07:27, Edited on 10 December 18 at 07:30 by RayvenMorrigana
You're probably just going to be told to buy a pro account to eliminate ads, that sends to be the response that most people get when they make these types of posts.

I wish there was a cheaper pro account option that just got rid of ads and have unlimited scans, I would but that but I don't have pro because I wouldn't use most of the features it offers so it's not worth the price for me. I have no problem with ads but sometimes the site becomes unusable due to the number of pop up ads that play.
I said hey, listen to me, stay sane inside insanity. <3
fireiz
fireiz
Posted on 10 December 18 at 07:29
thank you for the tip about adblock!! finally those dating sites ads can go away and my wife will stop thinking i am cheating on her :D
Have no fear, Amjad is here
TangerineGamer
TangerineGamer
Posted on 10 December 18 at 10:26
RayvenMorrigana said:
I wish there was a cheaper pro account option
RayvenMorrigana said:
not worth the price for me
Really? $25/€25/£17.50 PER YEAR is too much?
It's a site you probably use everyday, has more than likely given you help countless times when it comes to completing games, getting achievements, meeting like-minded people/making friends, introducing you to games that you wouldn't have found before .... etc.

I cannot start to presume your financial situation, and I can understand if you can't afford the price but there is no way you can ever say that a pro account is too expensive or not worth the price.

It's not even for what it gives you but it gives you a chance to support a website that has given you so much without actually asking for anything from you at all.
Yours sincerely, TG
Narcissist Code
Narcissist Code
Posted on 10 December 18 at 10:48
Careful with what you say there, Tangerine. I got called an elitist for assuming that someone who spends a good chunk of their free time gaming could afford a $20 game. Seriously, though, I do agree that $25/year is a fair price for TA Pro, and my recommendation to all of you is to purchase it. I couldn't imagine using the site with the way advertisements are now. Every time I go on TA and I'm not signed in, I am instantly swarmed by advertisements. Eliminating those alone (plus all the other benefits) is worth the price of admission for TA Pro (in my opinion, at least).
sorr yfor my england
RadiantViper
RadiantViper
Posted on 10 December 18 at 11:13
Just because TA Pro doesn't cost that much doesn't excuse obtrusive, annoying ads.

I'm happy paying for Pro but I understand completely why people would choose to use Ad Block. So many sites are nightmare without it nowadays.
Living Legends
Posted on 10 December 18 at 12:10
RadiantViper said:
Just because TA Pro doesn't cost that much doesn't excuse obtrusive, annoying ads.

I'm happy paying for Pro but I understand completely why people would choose to use Ad Block. So many sites are nightmare without it nowadays.
But it's just them trying to make money.

In all honesty, you pay for pro or by putting up with ads.

People see pro as expensive, I see it as a necessity for gaming
RadiantViper
RadiantViper
Posted on 10 December 18 at 12:31
Living Legends said:
RadiantViper said:

But it's just them trying to make money.

In all honesty, you pay for pro or by putting up with ads.

People see pro as expensive, I see it as a necessity for gaming
You can try to make money without being obtrusive and annoying though. That's the point.
Lost Legends
Lost Legends
Posted on 10 December 18 at 12:33
The ads are so much my browser will literally freeze for a several seconds before loading the ads and allowing me to browse the web page.
ManicMetalhead
Posted on 10 December 18 at 13:13, Edited on 10 December 18 at 13:14 by ManicMetalhead
If there are any that are particularly intrusive and annoying, please post about them here:
Site Advert Issues
cs mester
cs mester
Posted on 10 December 18 at 16:41, Edited on 10 December 18 at 18:37 by JamP0und32
" I see it as a necessity for gaming"
No,this is not true.You can install adblock as a third option.Even without adblock you cannot force ppl to pay just because they dont want to be swarmed by ads.Thats a cheap move.

Mod edit: removed off topic comment.
A Dreadful Shot
Posted on 10 December 18 at 20:02
Except for that ridiculous pop-up ad that seems to appear much less frequently now (and I’m very glad), on mobile I don’t have any problems with ads. But when I occasionally use a laptop, the site looks pathetic, half of the screen is literally ads. It seems very unprofessional.
Har Miggido
Har Miggido
Posted on 10 December 18 at 21:20
I thought going pro was just a way to support the site!!
Linkx41
Linkx41
Posted on 10 December 18 at 21:52, Edited on 10 December 18 at 21:53 by Linkx41
The owner of the site is placing as many ads as possible on each and every page. It is a sad excuse for trying to force people to sign up and make the ads go away. It is getting quite ridiculous...
Hooray for Windows 10!
eayragt
eayragt
Posted on 10 December 18 at 22:04
Linkx41 said:
The owner of the site is placing as many ads as possible on each and every page. It is a sad excuse for trying to force people to sign up and make the ads go away. It is getting quite ridiculous...
Options. They're not forcing anything, they're trying to keep the site developing.

Millenials love things for free.

(not a millenial, but not Pro)
Say everything with a smile
Otouto72
Otouto72
Posted on 10 December 18 at 23:37, Edited on 10 December 18 at 23:48 by Otouto72
Lost Legends said:
The ads are so much my browser will literally freeze for a several seconds before loading the ads and allowing me to browse the web page.
Literally THE reason I signed up to a pro account in the first place. Back then I used it on a crappy beat up well past its warrenty laptop (which has now since died) and using the site on it was impossible because of the ads slowing it down. It probably would not be much of a problem now since I now use an iPad for TA and the internet and I rarely use my new (well refurbished but still new for me) laptop for the internet at all, but I would struggle without my unlimited scanner and extended to-do list.

I get why ads are used, but too many ads creates problems, a lot of them, because most people do not have the technical specifications to cope with it, because of budget, personal preference, etc.

EDIT: I LIED! I was actually gifted the pro account initially, then when that ran out I stuck it out without it and THEN bought it myself. Okay so I kinda didn't lie I just left out some info but still.
Kerman7
Kerman7
Posted on 10 December 18 at 23:46, Edited on 11 December 18 at 11:10 by Kerman7
Don't waste your time both sides. I've tried and there is no constructive discussion possible.
When the most open minded person in front tells you they don't want to presume your situation, and follows by saying you can never say what you just said, you know you're in a dead end.
When someone writes about obtrusive and annoying and is replied about noticeable, you know the other party is simply not interested is considering any of your words. (EDIT: The post that replied this way has now been deleted)

If you are part of those who don't like the current state of the ads, you can either accept it and bare with it, cough up and pay for Pro, pack up your bags and leave, block the ads with a technical solution, or find the fifth option.
Poopdog M60Riot
Posted on 11 December 18 at 01:03
I’m a phone user and the banners on the top and sides of the website have never bothered me, in fact I probably wouldn’t even notice if they were removed. But this video ad hovering at the bottom of the screen with the tiny ass X to close it is ridiculously annoying and has made me stop using this site for the news.
Banana Big Boys
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 11 December 18 at 01:11
I don’t mind the level of ads, but it seems like the ad network this site uses is less than reputable. About once a month or so, I leave a TA tab open for a while and it gets redirected to an advertiser’s site.

Problematic ads get reported all the time in Site Advert Issues, and Rich always apologizes and gets the network to remove them. But how about using a network that doesn’t constantly serve problematic ads?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.