Site Help

Got something you don't understand? Need to know how something works? Ask here and we'll do our best to help you

Why can we see Nintendo achievements on TA?

• vegansoundvegansound1,202,329
    Posted on 13 December 18 at 19:25
    'Site Help: Got something you don't understand?', I hope I am at the good place!

Hello everyone,

I just saw games on True Achievements that are not on Microsoft supports (Win10, Xbox...), so I wondered why they were here ?

I'm mainly talking about the game Minecraft. There are lots of games from this series, on Xbox 360, Xbox One, Windows 10 or Windows Phone, but also on Apple TV, Nintendo Switch or iOS. And those last ones seem to have 'achievements' too, and... they are listed on TA.

We can see it all here:
    Minecraft Series

So I was just wondering why non-Microsoft supports were 'allowed' on TA, a totally Microsoft news site?

Thanks for the help! smile
  • xPut Name HerexxPut Name Herex1,567,894
    Posted on 13 December 18 at 19:42
    Those non-Microsoft platform games are all still part of the Microsoft ecosystem. Don't forget, Microsoft is the owner/publisher of Minecraft, and as they've integrated Microsoft accounts into the games as they appear on other platforms (exception for PlayStation), which makes it a part of Microsoft's ecosystem just as a game on your Xbox is.
  • Tatl360Tatl360462,339
    Posted on 13 December 18 at 19:44
    I believe if it's in your profile, it should be here, no?

If you see it on xbox.com and it's counting in your gamerscore, it should match with the info we use on this site here.

If you don't play it it will not appear on your profile, so you always have that option. wink
  • JamPound32JamPound321,426,058
    Posted on 13 December 18 at 20:50
    Those games have Xbox achievements, to put it simply.
  • JumboWarioJumboWario1,126,039
    Posted on 13 December 18 at 21:53
    JamP0und32 said:
    Those games have Xbox achievements, to put it simply.
    TrueAchievements not TrueXbox
    Game On.
  • New ParalyzerNew Paralyzer1,436,729
    Posted on 13 December 18 at 22:09
    Any game that uses your Xbox Gamertag and unlocks achievements on your gamertag will appear here.

Your gamertag is supported on Xbox 360, Xbox One, GFWL, Win 8, Win 10, WP7, WP8.

Some games have built in Xbox intergration. This is why you see iOS, Android, Web, Switch, And so forth.

Over on the trophies side of things for PlayStation they have different platforms too such as PS3, Vita, and PS4. All those support a PSN account and thus trophies can be earned.

Clearly Xbox Branding has branched out quite a bit.
    Posted on 13 December 18 at 23:05
    xPut Name Herex said:
    Those non-Microsoft platform games are all still part of the Microsoft ecosystem. Don't forget, Microsoft is the owner/publisher of Minecraft, and as they've integrated Microsoft accounts into the games as they appear on other platforms (exception for PlayStation), which makes it a part of Microsoft's ecosystem just as a game on your Xbox is.
    Best answer I guess. Minecraft licence belongs to Microsoft, so that's normal in a way.

But I still find that strange to see Switch or Apple achievements on a Microsoft website. Or the fact that MS put some achs into other supports' games. It's very... unusual.

For other people who answered, I don't find strange that unlocking Xbox achievements appears right away on our TA profile, that's normal. I was just surprised seeing non-Microsoft supports' achievements 'allowed' and took into consideration on TA. I didn't even know Nintendo had achievements or whatever they call them (but maybe it's just Minecraft?).

Thanks for the reply, everyone. Now let's hope Microsoft will one day buy Nintendo, I do want Zelda and Mario games/achievements on Xbox! clap
  • New ParalyzerNew Paralyzer1,436,729
    Posted on 13 December 18 at 23:46, Edited on 13 December 18 at 23:47 by New Paralyzer
    vegansound said:
    But I still find that strange to see Switch or Apple achievements on a Microsoft website. Or the fact that MS put some achs into other supports' games. It's very... unusual.

For other people who answered, I don't find strange that unlocking Xbox achievements appears right away on our TA profile, that's normal. I was just surprised seeing non-Microsoft supports' achievements 'allowed' and took into consideration on TA. I didn't even know Nintendo had achievements or whatever they call them (but maybe it's just Minecraft?).
    No.... You aren't understanding.

This website has nothing to do with Microsoft as a company.

Those achievements aren't Nintendo achievements. They are Xbox achievements that exist on a Nintendo platform.

Nintendo does not have achievements.

All the achievements on this specific website are all being pulled from Xbox.com

If it goes to Xbox.com this website can see it. Microsoft themselves allowed for devices NOT created by Microsoft to SUPPORT THEIR ACHIEVEMENT SYSTEM on OTHER PLATFORMS.

Are you starting to follow now?
    Posted on 14 December 18 at 00:02
    Yeah I do understand and know everything you said, I'm not saying the opposite. But Microsoft allowing achievements on other platforms --concurrent ones especially-- disturbs me a little bit. Microsoft achievements on Nintendo Switch of Apple iOS, sounds weird, don't you think? That's just this fact I'm wondering why, I don't put TA on the line; as you said TA just reproduces what's on xbox.com.

It's just that seeing Switch's Minecraft's achievements on TA was kind of... weird.
  • JumboWarioJumboWario1,126,039
    Posted on 14 December 18 at 00:40
    vegansound said:
    But Microsoft allowing achievements on other platforms --concurrent ones especially-- disturbs me a little bit.
    Microsoft extending their brand to other platforms and bigger audiences? Who now have an Xbox Live account and might be more inclined to use it on other devices?
    Game On.
  • Tatl360Tatl360462,339
    Posted on 14 December 18 at 01:58
    I don't think it's weird.
    Remember that Microsoft allowed crossplay with the Playstation 2 and the computer in 2006 with Final Fantasy XI.

They do whatever they find useful to achieve a goal. The FF11 goal was probably penetration on the japanese market.
    This one seems to be only about the Minecraft brand. They also have a Banjo game on the Game Boy.
    I don't have a Switch but I suppose people are not forced to use the Microsoft account to play Minecraft, are they?
    I guess it allows the crossplay though, so most kids will use it anyway.
  • RadiantViperRadiantViper1,116,935
    Posted on 14 December 18 at 04:49, Edited on 14 December 18 at 04:49 by RadiantViper
    It's not that weird when you follow the logic:

Minecraft went cross platform across several platforms including Nintendo Switch and Xbox One. It is my understanding that you actually log into your Xbox account on the Switch version to use cross platform features - this was most likely the most efficient way to get the feature to work. So naturally if you're on the Switch version and already have an Xbox account connected, why not add achievements for that version as well?

It's just a fun exception to the norm. I remember when I first saw you could get achievements on iOS with Wordament and that was strange and new too.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads