Game Discussion: Happy Wars (Xbox 360) Forum

It's officially over. Servers have been shut down.

AuthorMessage
ScottMacFreedom
Posted on 17 December 18 at 03:59
I thought servers were going down tomorrow so I tried to get one final match in. Unfortunately though, I was too late.

I personally enjoyed this game at the start and was content once I finished the base game.
As it evolved I fostered an increasing dislike of the game. But once I took a very extended break and came back, I began to enjoy myself again.

This is the game that taught me to distrust free games and I truly appreciate the lesson I have learned. I mean it would just be easier if I wasn't compelled to finish every achievement, but I am who I am.

Server closures are never easy. And this is no different.
I hope everyone made the best of their time with this game and it at the very least brought us a few moments of joy.
Freedom is the right of all sentient beings
Postmortimus
Postmortimus
Posted on 17 December 18 at 05:04
Apparently the dumbasses at ToyLogic don't know dates. I was within 600 heals or so of the last achievement that I needed just for it to kick me midmatch at 11 pm EST on SUNDAY the 16th. Rest of my boosting party was still playing an hour later, half of them the same timezone as me.

Fuck the incompetent assholes at ToyLogic.
Shadow Kisuragi
Posted on 17 December 18 at 05:50
Postmortimus said:
Apparently the dumbasses at ToyLogic don't know dates. I was within 600 heals or so of the last achievement that I needed just for it to kick me midmatch at 11 pm EST on SUNDAY the 16th. Rest of my boosting party was still playing an hour later, half of them the same timezone as me.

ToyLogic is based in Japan.
At the time of your post, it was 9am MONDAY the 17th in Japan. Just so you know.
CodeMonkeysGuy
Posted on 17 December 18 at 07:08
Can't fault anyone for not knowing, I definitely didn't know the game was Japan-created either until watching the credits for the achievement on X1. Looking back, there's a few subtle details that definitely make a bit more sense now... but it's not probably not something you'd ever think of on your own. Very few aspects look it.
I work on achievements. Life sanity tip: don't work on achievements.
Postmortimus
Postmortimus
Posted on 17 December 18 at 07:16, Edited on 19 December 18 at 01:29 by Postmortimus
I'm aware. It was more how other people continued to be able to play for a while after me and a small handful of others couldn't. I figured they shut the game down about 7am utc time (2am est time). Happy Dungeons is scheduled for 7am utc in June. Makes me wonder if they'll jump the gun again.

Guess I should just 100% that asap instead of spreading it out like I did with Happy Wars.
oaksprout
oaksprout
Posted on 17 December 18 at 09:07
Yeah I got kicked even earlier than others did. I was 5 missile barrages away from getting that achievement. It's annoying that it just started randomly selecting people to shut down instead of the time that they put on their site which was 7pm EST on the 17th.
Twincats
Twincats
Posted on 17 December 18 at 10:50
That's really disappointing. I got a bunch of the achievements finished since I started it back in 2012 but tried to grind them out over the last week, but it just wasn't happening. I gave up this weekend even though I could have finished the base game. Oh well. I'll definitely be more proactive going forward to get online achievements done for 360 and XBLA. Historically speaking many devs don't even give a warning and it's a real shame.
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
Evandalist
Evandalist
Posted on 17 December 18 at 15:41
I'm so glad that I got both versions of this f2p shitfest done a long time ago.

Part of me wants to start up Happy Dungeons and bang it out as fast as possible before the server shutdown, but the other part of me vividly remembers all the disconnects, unlock issues, and RNG it took for me to get Happy Wars done and I'm like "nah, fuck that."
Here lies a trite quote from somebody in history you might recognize. It's delightfully witty, yet concurrently incisive, and not at all pretentious.
Orodeth Prime
Orodeth Prime
Posted on 17 December 18 at 16:56
How hard could it be to let achievements pop on the not-longer-working 360 version when you boot the game, after you met the requirements on the One version?

Inability can be countered by outsourcing.
iPr0 N1nJa x
99,465 99,465 GamerScore
iPr0 N1nJa x
Posted on 17 December 18 at 17:01
I tweeted them, please show support. They need to learn how to use a calendar, I had two achievements to go.........

https://twitter.com/ninjabaz13/status/1074708870357049344
Living Legends
Posted on 17 December 18 at 17:54
Orodeth Prime said:
How hard could it be to let achievements pop on the not-longer-working 360 version when you boot the game, after you met the requirements on the One version?

well if the 360 game cant connect to the servers how would it know you did it?
planting42
planting42
Posted on 17 December 18 at 18:20, Edited on 17 December 18 at 18:20 by planting42
Living Legends said:
Orodeth Prime said:

well if the 360 game cant connect to the servers how would it know you did it?
...and its a bit of a slap in the face to those of us who DID do the achievements years ago.

RIP Happy Wars - one of my favorite 360 games.
https://www.trueachievements.com/event/UHH4
CodeMonkeysGuy
Posted on 17 December 18 at 19:51
Besides which, I don't think most of the games that offer X360 -> X1 progress support offer X1 -> X360 support anyways. I don't think it's a technical reason though; more likely, they want people to move forward rather than back since who would be moving back except loons like achievement hunters?
I work on achievements. Life sanity tip: don't work on achievements.
Our Afflictions
Posted on 17 December 18 at 22:35
iPr0 N1nJa x said:
I tweeted them, please show support. They need to learn how to use a calendar, I had two achievements to go.........

Maybe you should learn what timezones are.
Postmortimus
Postmortimus
Posted on 18 December 18 at 04:44
Our Afflictions said:
iPr0 N1nJa x said:

Maybe you should learn how to read the whole thread. Numerous people clearly state how they started shutting down the game a head of the time and timezone that they stated.
FreshAspek
FreshAspek
Posted on 18 December 18 at 05:45
Postmortimus said:

Wow that really sucks.

I had about 6000 heals to go starting Friday and with how long it took me to connect to games I realized it wasn't going to happen. I'd be livid if I was only 600 away with time to go.
DarkB1ade X
DarkB1ade X
Posted on 18 December 18 at 06:32
So, does this mean the campaign is down as well? I figured there might be a chance that some of the achievements would be attainable offline, but it seems like it might be the same situation as Crash Course 2.
Our Afflictions
Posted on 18 December 18 at 09:02
Postmortimus said:
Our Afflictions said:
iPr0 N1nJa x said:

Maybe you should learn how to read the whole thread. Numerous people clearly state how they started shutting down the game a head of the time and timezone that they stated.
Some people getting shut down early AFTER it turned Monday their time has nothing to do with learning to use a calendar, I'm sure they didn't just press an off switch and disabling the servers took time, thus causing different times for different people.

Either way, how long ago did they announce this shutdown? If you waited until the final hours to pop something then that's on you.
JmoCox
JmoCox
Posted on 18 December 18 at 15:11
I believe it said 7pm EST on December 17th. I would be a little upset too. I decided to not pursue the 10,000 heals. Finished everything else up though!
x Mataeus x
x Mataeus x
Posted on 18 December 18 at 20:39
It was announced well in advance. Don't procrastinate laugh
https://www.exophase.com/user/Mataeus
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.