Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Stats Show Red Dead Redemption 2 Leaves Big Holiday Sequels in the Dust

• dipsy de 1edipsy de 1e239,413
    Posted on 18 December 18 at 19:50, Edited on 18 December 18 at 19:50 by dipsy de 1ePermalink
    That's what happens when too many games release around the same time of the year.
  • IXI FalcoNIXI FalcoN1,332,891
    Posted on 18 December 18 at 20:02Permalink
    Was Fallout 76's numbers so bad they didn't make the charts? laugh
  • Posted on 18 December 18 at 20:07Permalink
    IXI FalcoN said:
    damn, laugh
  • Maxumilli0nMaxumilli0n562,543
    Posted on 18 December 18 at 20:14Permalink
    I'm guessing this is why alot of games are releasing the 1st qtr of next year as well.
  • SeitzzSeitzz781,895
    Posted on 18 December 18 at 20:16Permalink
    BudgetBallin360 said:
    IXI FalcoN said:
    damn, laugh
    Oh boy..can't wait to play it. Really hoping I enjoy it more than other people as I love Fallout, but I'll see when I get there.
  • Posted on 18 December 18 at 20:23, Edited on 18 December 18 at 20:25 by ameracin desiPermalink
    Simple fact: Red Dead 2 is worth $60 for just the single player content released at launch. & there's no stink associated with that game.

Call of Duty BL4, BF5, AC:Odyssey all have a nasty, dirty, stink or caveat, and with all that it all comes down to the quality/quantity of the total content didn't justify a $60 release at launch. Missing content, gameplay downgrades, and single player microtransactions are to blame.

Darksiders 3 and Hitman 2 are more niche and tend to be purchased after the price comes down after a while.

Overall, great analysis, especially explaining each games reasons or failure at the end, but I feel like Rockstar didn't take away from the rest, the rest just hurt themselves. Red Dead 2 although great game, not generational by any means & I don't think it will have the lasting appeal GTA5 had.
  • Posted on 18 December 18 at 20:24Permalink
    I just hope that the reason Darksiders 3 numbers are so bad is because Darksiders 2 still has an unobtainable. Take that!
  • Alfa ArtyAlfa Arty366,803
    Posted on 18 December 18 at 20:33Permalink
    ameracin desi said:
    Simple fact: Red Dead 2 is worth $60 for just the single player content released at launch. & there's no stink associated with that game.

Call of Duty BL4, BF5, AC:Odyssey all have a nasty, dirty, stink or caveat, and with all that it all comes down to the quality/quantity of the total content didn't justify a $60 release at launch. Missing content, gameplay downgrades, and single player microtransactions are to blame.

Darksiders 3 and Hitman 2 are more niche and tend to be purchased after the price comes down after a while.

Overall, great analysis, especially explaining each games reasons or failure at the end, but I feel like Rockstar didn't take away from the rest, the rest just hurt themselves. Red Dead 2 although great game, not generational by any means & I don't think it will have the lasting appeal GTA5 had.
    GTA Online is the most horrible multiplayer ever experienced. When RDR Online Beta ends and it finally kicks off and gets more content. GTA Online will be playing catch up to it for years to come.
  • HealttiHealtti2,071,850
    Posted on 18 December 18 at 20:41Permalink
    N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
    IXI FalcoN said:
    We actually did a separate story just on Fallout 76.
    Shoulda put it on this chart regardless.
    Despite being contender for worst game of the year Fallout 76 dunked on everything on this list that's not Red Dead or Cod.
    Bit of an eye-opener.
    "We aren't planning on doing anything about it." - Bethesda Support North America
  • matdanmatdan700,297
    Posted on 18 December 18 at 20:55Permalink
    Easy to see why. Just Cause 4, Battlefield V and Darksiders 3 were all pretty awful in terms of reviews/launch. Hitman 2 meanwhile has been very divisive only attracting the hardcore fans without generating many new ones.

Assassin's Creed is still a hard hitting series and CoD has hit it's best year in a long time in terms of reviews/player count/launch. Would of been good to put Forza Horizon 4 here instead of Darksiders.
    Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon, Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath!
  • ZukapeZukape235,747
    Posted on 18 December 18 at 20:58, Edited on 18 December 18 at 21:04 by ZukapePermalink
    Is it could be because of they are overrated? Even fanboys wouldnt buy some of these titles. Bf, cod, ds, ac same old shite. And just cause super casual. I wouldnt even pay 10 bucks for any of them... But then thats my opinion.

Leaving a long wait period between games cause crawing. Rockstar games every release of a game creates big improvement from previous title. I think that is the formula for success. Also all of other titles were broken first release of the month. So, yeah you do the math...
  • Ashen SeraphAshen Seraph721,156
    Posted on 18 December 18 at 21:02, Edited on 18 December 18 at 21:06 by Ashen SeraphPermalink
    AC Odyssey's and Hitman's numbers are both comparatively very close to their predecessor. Given that both have developed somewhat niche communities at this point (more so Hitman, AC to some degree), I would say the effect has been minimal on them.

The rest could all be argued as inherently worse or controversial entries in their respective franchises, which inherently leads to lower user bases.

I'm thinking you might be reading a bit too much into this.
    Victim of myself.
  • Posted on 18 December 18 at 21:14Permalink
    Ashen Seraph said:
    AC Odyssey's and Hitman's numbers are both comparatively very close to their predecessor. Given that both have developed somewhat niche communities at this point (more so Hitman, AC to some degree), I would say the effect has been minimal on them.

The rest could all be argued as inherently worse or controversial entries in their respective franchises, which inherently leads to lower user bases.

I'm thinking you might be reading a bit too much into this.
    Assassin’s Creed is niche?
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant473,604
    Posted on 18 December 18 at 21:17Permalink
    Maxumilli0n said:
    I'm guessing this is why alot of games are releasing the 1st qtr of next year as well.
    Zukape said:
    Leaving a long wait period between games cause crawing. Rockstar games every release of a game creates big improvement from previous title. I think that is the formula for success. Also all of other titles were broken first release of the month. So, yeah you do the math...
    These two comments are spot on. Releasing the same series every year or two saturates the market. Bethesda mixes it up and Rockstar are in a financial position where they can wait. If the next AC was in 2021, I reckon it would sell more than if they released one or two before that. You can have too much of a good thing and it leads to a lot of problems, both for the gamer and the developers. The gamer will wait and but it reduced or used which leads to less revenue for developers, who in turn add DLCs and microtransactions to try and make money from these late adopters.

One thing these companies must take from this: do not release a game when Rockstar do.
  • Posted on 18 December 18 at 21:23Permalink
    ameracin desi said:

Assassins Creed Odyssey took me just over 90 hours to complete and didn’t encounter one bug. I’ve made a lot of bad day 1 purchases but this was not one, $60 well spent. RDR2 is just a juggernaut of a game.
  • Dragonborn GearDragonborn Gear1,124,570
    Posted on 18 December 18 at 21:45Permalink
    I think it would be more interesting to see the predecessor one prior to the Battlefield and CoD series. Both of the predecessors are more interesting, unique games for the series that had a more interesting drive behind the marketing. This is especially true for the Battlefield 1. This is the only battlefield game in the modern battlefields I have even played. I also considered getting CoD WWII after having not played since Ghosts.

Therefore, if the one more prior for Battlefield and CoD Black Ops say the same thing (huge dip in sales for this one over the first ten days), then I would be more convinced that RDR 2 was a significant share stealer. It's not that I don't appreciate statistics; I would just like to see more details as there are too many variables for me to be wholly convinced. There is also the variable of total players playing games, but I would like to think that that one is not too impactful.
  • Posted on 18 December 18 at 21:51, Edited on 18 December 18 at 22:01 by Ostrowidzki1989Permalink
    Moldy Tacos5000 said:
    I just hope that the reason Darksiders 3 numbers are so bad is because Darksiders 2 still has an unobtainable. Take that!
    Honestly, the only reason I haven't and won't pick it up.
  • Cellar AtticCellar Attic444,495
    Posted on 18 December 18 at 22:14Permalink
    I cannot wait to play this game. With Christmas and my birthday coming up in relatively quick succession I'm thinking the odds are good. I have heard nothing but glowing reviews, and I loved the previous installment. I have no doubt this will be a Top 5 game for me.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.