Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Top 20 Most Played Games of 2018 - Part One

AuthorMessage
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 28 December 18 at 15:52
Looking back on the year that was

Please click here to read the story: Top 20 Most Played Games of 2018 - Part One
Whisperin Clown
Posted on 28 December 18 at 16:05
"that explains why it's the only sports game that ever has a chance of hitting the top 20"

The literal next game is a sports game.
LuckyKant
LuckyKant
Posted on 28 December 18 at 16:08, Edited on 28 December 18 at 18:54 by LuckyKant
When did you take the data? The year isn't over and the stats you have posted are incorrect.

The gap between Onrush and Burnout is below 80 gamers, so Burnout might overtake Onrush in the next few days. They are both on sale, but Burnout is about half the price of Onrush.

Warface (17) has more than A Way Out (16) but your stats have them the other way, (22,205 vs 21,919).

Battlefield V (12) should be 11th as you are missing 6k starters (it has 34k), overtaking Shadow of the Tomb Raider (31k)... Battlefield V may be even higher, depending on what the top ten is.

Having an end of the year list when the year hasn't ended creates inaccurate data. Can you revise your data, please? 40% of this list is in the wrong position and 100% of the games have incorrect figures. Hellbalde hasn't even been included with 24k starters. facepalm

Top 20:
*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 28 December 18 at 16:29
Whisperin Clown said:
"that explains why it's the only sports game that ever has a chance of hitting the top 20"

Annual sports game as mentioned, and SMB2 is Games with Gold.

LuckyConquerer2 said:
When did you take the data? The year isn't over and the stats you have posted are incorrect.

The gap between Onrush and Burnout is below 80 gamers, so Burnout might overtake Onrush in the next few days. They are both on sale, but Burnout is about half the price of Onrush.

Warface (17) has more than A Way Out (16) but your stats have them the other way, (22,205 vs 21,919).

Battlefield V (12) should be 11th as you are missing 6k starters (it has 34k), overtaking Shadow of the Tomb Raider (31k)... Battlefield V may be even higher, depending on what the top ten is.

Having an end of the year list when the year hasn't ended creates inaccurate data. Can you revise your data, please? 40% of this list is in the wrong position and 100% of the games have incorrect figures. Hellbalde hasn't even been included with 24k starters. [facepalm

Top 20:
*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
All of these stats were given to me a little over a week ago. I’m aware that they constantly increase but I can only get the data before the site employees go on holiday or not again until the new year and that’s not an option for me. As long as the data have all been collected at the same time, which they have, it’s consistent. It’s like the Xbox Year in Review or Spotify end of year stats. They’re not taken on January 1st, but as long as we are consistent, the numbers tell a story. Hellblade surged after Game Pass, these numbers were taken just before it, mid-December, same as every year.
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 28 December 18 at 16:30
Must have been taken before Hellblade was added to gamepass bc Hellblade didn’t have many players until it was added to the service.

Always like these things. I like this new Tomb Raider trilogy but I wasn’t excited to play this last one. It didn’t seem different in any way, everything just seemed too safe, probably still fun though.
SonOfStayPuft82
Posted on 28 December 18 at 16:32
It doesn’t take a genius to work out what’s going to be number 1 roll

Jump, Build, Shotgun & Repeat. Or if you’re a Kid, Jump, Build, Shotgun, Pester your Parents for More V-Bucks and repeat laugh
Za Pantsupati
Za Pantsupati
Posted on 28 December 18 at 16:41, Edited on 28 December 18 at 16:42 by Za Pantsupati
SonOfStayPuft82 said:

Jump, Build, Shotgun & Repeat. Or if you’re a Kid, Jump, Build, Shotgun, Pester your Parents for More V-Bucks and repeat laugh
Well, that was released last year technically for one. TA also only tracks a game as "played" once you get an achievement and with no achievements tied to the Battle Royale mode, Fortnite only has ~55k players. Regardless, it won't be on this list. Even in the 2017 list it would have been 14th using their data...
Mullet For Men
Posted on 28 December 18 at 16:45
Whisperin Clown said:
{#}that explains why it's the only sports game that ever has a chance of hitting the top 20{#}

You conveniently left out "annually"
TheGreatKoala
TheGreatKoala
Posted on 28 December 18 at 16:46
HawkeyeBarry20 said:
Must have been taken before Hellblade was added to gamepass bc Hellblade didn’t have many players until it was added to the service.

Always like these things. I like this new Tomb Raider trilogy but I wasn’t excited to play this last one. It didn’t seem different in any way, everything just seemed too safe, probably still fun though.
Apparently hellblade wasn't played much aftee it went on game pass either(according to a different article)
pezboyben
pezboyben
Posted on 28 December 18 at 16:47
A Way Out and Super Mega Baseball 2 are the only ones from here I've played and I only did SMB2 to earn an achievement for the 12 days of Christmas. A Way Out was fantastic!
TheGreatKoala
TheGreatKoala
Posted on 28 December 18 at 16:48
Za Pantsupati said:
SonOfStayPuft82 said:

Well, that was released last year technically for one. TA also only tracks a game as {#}played{#} once you get an achievement and with no achievements tied to the Battle Royale mode, Fortnite only has ~55k players. Regardless, it won't be on this list. Even in the 2017 list it would have been 14th using their data...
Except that, like it or not(and i don't), it is regularly in the top played games each week, so prepare to sulk when it is in the top 3 despite it being ****ing obvious to everyone else
TheGreatKoala
TheGreatKoala
Posted on 28 December 18 at 17:01
I like these articles, I genuinely do(I'm a stats person and the site is great for that side of me), the downside is the comments section which will be filled with people saying they are surprised(when there are no surprised if you actually pay attention) or people complaining that their favourite game that no one else has heard of doesn't make the list.
LuckyKant
LuckyKant
Posted on 28 December 18 at 17:14, Edited on 28 December 18 at 17:17 by LuckyKant
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
All of these stats were given to me a little over a week ago. I’m aware that they constantly increase but I can only get the data before the site employees go on holiday or not again until the new year and that’s not an option for me. As long as the data have all been collected at the same time, which they have, it’s consistent. It’s like the Xbox Year in Review or Spotify end of year stats. They’re not taken on January 1st, but as long as we are consistent, the numbers tell a story. Hellblade surged after Game Pass, these numbers were taken just before it, mid-December, same as every year.
Why would you need the data from the employees? If we are looking at just 2018 releases, all that info can be easily pulled from Full Games List, filtering to 2018 and sorting by 'Gamers'. Am I overlooking something obvious to why that could not be done on Jan 1st?

You say that "As long as the data have all been collected at the same time, which they have, it’s consistent. It’s like the Xbox Year in Review or Spotify end of year stats." That doesn't validate end of year stats that do not include the last two weeks, about 4% of data, which does impact positioning and left out a game altogether. The Xbox Review stats were also ridiculed, if you read that thread, as they only went to October. Just because it is done elsewhere does not validate these stats. A year is 365 days, not 350.

With this article, you could have typed it as you did know, but had someone else edit to be accurate on the 1st of Jan 19.

SonOfStayPuft82 said:

That won't even be in the top 20 and wasn't even released in 2018. The measure for these stats is gamers started. I am not familiar with Fortnite but doesn't the Battle Royale mode have no achievements, thus a lot of gamers are not tracked?
Seitzz
Seitzz
Posted on 28 December 18 at 17:15
Surprising that Shadow even made it that high. It was a good game, but since I played RotTR recently, Shadow felt like nothing new and nothing special.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 28 December 18 at 17:46
Yes, Lucky, you’re overlooking that I don’t make the graphs and needed to do these now instead of later. Thank you for the feedback though. I love this feature and hope to improve it. Please be mindful that I’m a volunteer doing my best here and hopefully next year it can be better.
B3CKER
B3CKER
Posted on 28 December 18 at 17:50
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
Yes, Lucky, you’re overlooking that I don’t make the graphs and needed to do these now instead of later. Thank you for the feedback though. I love this feature and hope to improve it. Please be mindful that I’m a volunteer doing my best here and hopefully next year it can be better.
- nice way of saying STFU laugh
Follow me on Instagram: @jar3d_b
Anxsighety
Anxsighety
Posted on 28 December 18 at 17:57
It truly makes no sense to compile this list prior to Christmas. So many games get started after they’re gotten as gifts but oh well.
RadiantViper
RadiantViper
Posted on 28 December 18 at 18:00
LuckyConquerer2 said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
Why would you need the data from the employees? If we are looking at just 2018 releases, all that info can be easily pulled from Full Games List, filtering to 2018 and sorting by 'Gamers'. Am I overlooking something obvious to why that could not be done on Jan 1st?

You say that "As long as the data have all been collected at the same time, which they have, it’s consistent. It’s like the Xbox Year in Review or Spotify end of year stats." That doesn't validate end of year stats that do not include the last two weeks, about 4% of data, which does impact positioning and left out a game altogether. The Xbox Review stats were also ridiculed, if you read that thread, as they only went to October. Just because it is done elsewhere does not validate these stats. A year is 365 days, not 350.

With this article, you could have typed it as you did know, but had someone else edit to be accurate on the 1st of Jan 19.

SonOfStayPuft82 said:

That won't even be in the top 20 and wasn't even released in 2018. The measure for these stats is gamers started. I am not familiar with Fortnite but doesn't the Battle Royale mode have no achievements, thus a lot of gamers are not tracked?
I don't see anything in the article saying a game needs to be released in 2018 to count ... just by most started game in 2018. So technically a release from 2017 could make it if enough people started it this year. You couldn't get this data quickly from the games list, you could get the number yourself if the game has a guaranteed first achievement and you're willing to do some math.
LuckyKant
LuckyKant
Posted on 28 December 18 at 18:01
B3CKER said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
- nice way of saying STFU laugh
So no reason not to do this Jan, when staff returned... Just because you volunteer doesn't mean we can not give feedback when what you claim is not what it is. For a stats focused site, let's get the stats right? I appreciate all the volunteering you do, along with the other staff. The whole site runs because of volunteers, including everyone who makes solutions, walkthroughs and so on.

Did this not wait because TA is now a Google News source and you don't want to be left behind in terms of traffic?
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 28 December 18 at 18:03
To clarify, Lucky is correct that we are only taking into account 2018 releases and measuring it by gamers who have started playing (popped one or more achievements). We understand there are other ways to depict “most played” but for three years we’ve done it this way. No worries on the mixup. I know I probably didn’t mention it this time in any of the stories all week so it makes sense that not everyone is aware of how we collect the data.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.