Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Top 20 Most Played Games of 2018 - Part One

AuthorMessage
LuckyKant
LuckyKant
Posted on 28 December 18 at 18:05
RadiantViper said:
I don't see anything in the article saying a game needs to be released in 2018 to count ... just by most started game in 2018. So technically a release from 2017 could make it if enough people started it this year. You couldn't get this data quickly from the games list, you could get the number yourself if the game has a guaranteed first achievement and you're willing to do some math.
From the title, I was also thinking it was the most played which would include GTA V etc but the article says most started games from 2018, so I read it as games released from this year. NPB would have to be the one who clarifies though.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 28 December 18 at 18:10
LuckyConquerer2 said:
B3CKER said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
Yes, Lucky, you’re overlooking that I don’t make the graphs and needed to do these now instead of later. Thank you for the feedback though. I love this feature and hope to improve it. Please be mindful that I’m a volunteer doing my best here and hopefully next year it can be better.
- nice way of saying STFU laugh
So no reason not to do this Jan, when staff returned... Just because you volunteer doesn't mean we can not give feedback when what you claim is not what it is. For a stats focused site, let's get the stats right? I appreciate all the volunteering you do, along with the other staff. The whole site runs because of volunteers, including everyone who makes solutions, walkthroughs and so on.

Did this not wait because TA is now a Google News source and you don't want to be left behind in terms of traffic?
You also have to remember it's the holiday's. why would volunteer's spend their new yr's day writing an article for free? All you do is bitch on every article. If you have a problem with the article's/review's etc how about you write them? But you won't because then you can't bitch about it for day's.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 28 December 18 at 18:13
LuckyConquerer2 said:
B3CKER said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
Yes, Lucky, you’re overlooking that I don’t make the graphs and needed to do these now instead of later. Thank you for the feedback though. I love this feature and hope to improve it. Please be mindful that I’m a volunteer doing my best here and hopefully next year it can be better.
So no reason not to do this Jan, when staff returned... Just because you volunteer doesn't mean we can not give feedback when what you claim is not what it is. For a stats focused site, let's get the stats right? I appreciate all the volunteering you do, along with the other staff. The whole site runs because of volunteers, including everyone who makes solutions, walkthroughs and so on.

Did this not wait because TA is now a Google News source and you don't want to be left behind in terms of traffic?
It has nothing to do with Google News. I did it now so that it could remain consistent with the last few years — before we were on Google News, I mention, knowing Google News influence is a concern of yours. I consider those precedents important, and so for consistency’s sake I was given the mid-December numbers as always. This could change in the future, though it also may not. This is a quiet period for the site so I like to do these stories now so our community has more features to digest while everyone is away. Once the calendar turns over, I have 2019 preview features to work on.

Look at the front page and imagine these features I’ve done all week weren’t there. Readers would have almost nothing new to interact with for about two whole weeks because we are encouraged to take this time off and refresh before 2019. Instead, I really like doing these features and have only done them to the best of my ability. If my abilities improve over the next year, maybe these features will too.
planting42
planting42
Posted on 28 December 18 at 18:22
As expected... salt.

Not much of a fan of these games. Here's hoping the top 10 are better, I'm not holding my breath though. AAA games have really hit rock bottom IMO.
LuckyKant
LuckyKant
Posted on 28 December 18 at 18:26, Edited on 28 December 18 at 18:28 by LuckyKant
xONLYINHUMANxx said:
LuckyConquerer2 said:
B3CKER said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:

You also have to remember it's the holiday's. why would volunteer's spend their new yr's day writing an article for free? All you do is bitch on every article. If you have a problem with the article's/review's etc how about you write them? But you won't because then you can't bitch about it for day's.
It is not bitching. It is fair and constructive feedback on statistical analysis. This is not an opinion piece but stats. NPB has explained why it was done this way. The interaction with staff is why this site is better than others. You can have a discussion without it being bitching. I clearly praised the volunteers for their work. I have applied to be a Newshound in the past, so you can take your snide comments elsewhere. I wasn't the only commentator on this topic. NPB consistently produces excellent articles and will continue to do so. NPB and Eurydace are my favourite authors here.

I am not going to get in too these little bitch fights with people like you. If you don't like what I post, please use the block feature instead of looking for drama. I won't bite to comments like this, from you and others. I have started to use the block feature and will be adding many of you who want to cause an argument rather than a debate.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Bobazoid1
Bobazoid1
Posted on 28 December 18 at 18:34
The game I played the most by far was Hitman 2016.
Bob
Xeroxcoco
Xeroxcoco
Posted on 28 December 18 at 18:37, Edited on 28 December 18 at 18:44 by Xeroxcoco
LuckyConquerer2 said:
xONLYINHUMANxx said:
LuckyConquerer2 said:
B3CKER said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:

It is not bitching. It is fair and constructive feedback on statistical analysis. NPB has explained why it was done this way. The interaction with staff is why this site is better than others. You can have a discussion without it being bitching. I clearly praised the volunteers for their work. I have applied to be a Newshound in the past, so you can take your snide comments elsewhere. NPB consistently produces excellent articles and will continue to do so. I am not going to get in too these little bitch fights with people with you. If you don't like what I post, please use the block feature instead of looking for drama. I won't bite to comments like this, from you and others. I have started to use the block feature and will be adding many of you who want to cause an argument rather than a debate.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
In sorry but Lucky is totally right, Everyone knows you are a volunteer and we all appreciate what you are doing here, but as he pointed out the chart is not accurate and in the end it is wrong, so if you can’t do something reliable, dont do it at all.
Noone would blame you for that
Redanian
Redanian
Posted on 28 December 18 at 18:44, Edited on 28 December 18 at 19:03 by omgeezus
I wonder if Spyro will be in the top 10? I expected Crash to have more players because it was released a lot earlier in the year and if the data was collected over a week ago, the Spyro Christmas presents won't be taken into account either.

I'm guessing the top 3 will be FIFA, RDR2 and CoD.

Mod edit: removed personal attack
Xeroxcoco
Xeroxcoco
Posted on 28 December 18 at 18:47, Edited on 28 December 18 at 19:05 by omgeezus
Redanian said:
I wonder if Spyro will be in the top 10? I expected Crash to have more players because it was released a lot earlier in the year and if the data was collected over a week ago, the Spyro Christmas presents won't be taken into account either.

🤦‍♂️ Fifa is this list
Redanian
Redanian
Posted on 28 December 18 at 18:49, Edited on 28 December 18 at 19:04 by omgeezus
Xeroxcoco said:
Redanian said:

🤦‍♂️ Fifa is this list
Damn. So it is. facepalm

I saw the picture and assumed it was Pro Evo. I would of placed bets on it being top 5 at the very least.
LuckyKant
LuckyKant
Posted on 28 December 18 at 18:53, Edited on 28 December 18 at 19:03 by LuckyKant
Redanian said:
*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 28 December 18 at 18:56
Lucky, if you’re wanting me to do these better, I feel like you spoiling them is counterproductive, haha.

Also, this is relevant. https://twitter.com/harddrivemag/status/1078715754424528896?...
LuckyKant
LuckyKant
Posted on 28 December 18 at 19:02
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
Lucky, if you’re wanting me to do these better, I feel like you spoiling them is counterproductive, haha.

Also, this is relevant. https://twitter.com/harddrivemag/status/1078715754424528896?...
I used the spoiler tag. wink dance
ImJustYourDaddy
Posted on 28 December 18 at 19:03, Edited on 28 December 18 at 19:08 by ImJustYourDaddy
TheGreatKoala said:
Za Pantsupati said:
SonOfStayPuft82 said:
It doesn’t take a genius to work out what’s going to be number 1 roll

Jump, Build, Shotgun & Repeat. Or if you’re a Kid, Jump, Build, Shotgun, Pester your Parents for More V-Bucks and repeat laugh
Well, that was released last year technically for one. TA also only tracks a game as {#}played{#} once you get an achievement and with no achievements tied to the Battle Royale mode, Fortnite only has ~55k players. Regardless, it won't be on this list. Even in the 2017 list it would have been 14th using their data...
Except that, like it or not(and i don't), it is regularly in the top played games each week, so prepare to sulk when it is in the top 3 despite it being ****ing obvious to everyone else
It really depends on how many of those 55k started it last year. It could be very high on this list, it could have completely missed it

My bet is that it's like 7th
Santino
Fooga
Fooga
Posted on 28 December 18 at 19:04
RDR2 is well deserved.
Gamrr4Life
Gamrr4Life
Posted on 28 December 18 at 19:16
Burnout Remastered may jump a wee bit given that it was only $5 on Live recently.
Elyoh
Elyoh
Posted on 28 December 18 at 19:32
So I haven't played any of these. What did I do this year?? Will eventually play A Way Out and Tomb Raider.
No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
AngryKamehameha
Posted on 28 December 18 at 19:46
Whisperin Clown said:
{#}that explains why it's the only sports game that ever has a chance of hitting the top 20{#}

The literal next game is a sports game.
Annually, is the only word you missed from that quote.

NBA, NHL, NFL don't really have that strong of a chance. Being free for 30 days definitely helped put the baseball title into the top 20.
JCB DUKE
JCB DUKE
Posted on 28 December 18 at 20:02
Its just stats. It’s not a popularity contest. Some of the best games of the year have only been played by a handful of players and some of them worst games of the year are played by lots of people. Nothing to get all hung up about really.
ComboChrist
ComboChrist
Posted on 28 December 18 at 20:57
>we may already be done with her again for several years.

tfw we'll never get 1:1 remakes of 2-4 with updated graphics/mechanics similiar to the Retro-costumes in Rise/Shadow.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.