Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Top 20 Most Played Games of 2018 - Part One

AuthorMessage
Dragonborn Gear
Dragonborn Gear
Posted on 28 December 18 at 21:07
Yep. I didn't play a single one of these top 20. (I am using LuckyC's spoiled top 20 as reference).
Sashamorning
Sashamorning
Posted on 28 December 18 at 21:13
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
Whisperin Clown said:
"that explains why it's the only sports game that ever has a chance of hitting the top 20"

The literal next game is a sports game.
Annual sports game as mentioned, and SMB2 is Games with Gold.

LuckyConquerer2 said:
When did you take the data? The year isn't over and the stats you have posted are incorrect.

The gap between Onrush and Burnout is below 80 gamers, so Burnout might overtake Onrush in the next few days. They are both on sale, but Burnout is about half the price of Onrush.

Warface (17) has more than A Way Out (16) but your stats have them the other way, (22,205 vs 21,919).

Battlefield V (12) should be 11th as you are missing 6k starters (it has 34k), overtaking Shadow of the Tomb Raider (31k)... Battlefield V may be even higher, depending on what the top ten is.

Having an end of the year list when the year hasn't ended creates inaccurate data. Can you revise your data, please? 40% of this list is in the wrong position and 100% of the games have incorrect figures. Hellbalde hasn't even been included with 24k starters. [facepalm

Top 20:
*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
All of these stats were given to me a little over a week ago. I’m aware that they constantly increase but I can only get the data before the site employees go on holiday or not again until the new year and that’s not an option for me. As long as the data have all been collected at the same time, which they have, it’s consistent. It’s like the Xbox Year in Review or Spotify end of year stats. They’re not taken on January 1st, but as long as we are consistent, the numbers tell a story. Hellblade surged after Game Pass, these numbers were taken just before it, mid-December, same as every year.
With all respect...

I know that year-end lists are fun and interesting, especially when they are released before the end of the year. But this is all about stats. There's no reason that this list couldn't have come out next week, and therefore be a lot more accurate.

The same with the GOTY discussion. Last year, Night in the Woods was released a week before Christmas, and excluded from consideration. It's ended up being one of my favorite games of last year. No, it probably wouldn't have won any awards, but it is rocking a 4.4/5.0 rating.

If it's a year end list, wait until the end of the year?
Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 28 December 18 at 21:26
TheGreatKoala said:
HawkeyeBarry20 said:
Must have been taken before Hellblade was added to gamepass bc Hellblade didn’t have many players until it was added to the service.

Always like these things. I like this new Tomb Raider trilogy but I wasn’t excited to play this last one. It didn’t seem different in any way, everything just seemed too safe, probably still fun though.
Apparently hellblade wasn't played much aftee it went on game pass either(according to a different article)
I think I checked Hellblade in the afternoon on the first day added to gamepass and I believe it was at 7,000 gamers. On the top indie game list posted two days ago it shows the players we’re up to 14,000 even though I’m sure those numbers were taken a bit before that. Today, when I look at Hellblade it’s just under 25,000 gamers. Before gamepass I agree not many played but because of it the numbers are really gaining, just interesting to watch.
LuckyKant
LuckyKant
Posted on 28 December 18 at 21:33
Sashamorning said:
With all respect...

I know that year-end lists are fun and interesting, especially when they are released before the end of the year. But this is all about stats. There's no reason that this list couldn't have come out next week, and therefore be a lot more accurate.

The same with the GOTY discussion. Last year, Night in the Woods was released a week before Christmas, and excluded from consideration. It's ended up being one of my favorite games of last year. No, it probably wouldn't have won any awards, but it is rocking a 4.4/5.0 rating.

Even though Night in the Woods was excluded from 2018's vote, it won't be added to 2019's.

If you are struggling for articles, why not repost some of the best articles of the year or years gone, interview site members, have staff discuss their highs and lows for the year so far, but leave all the stats until the year is complete? A lot of new members have missed the TA Top 5 and it could also have a discussion on the topic revisited.
FightingMegaFoo
Posted on 28 December 18 at 21:40
18,286 players were fooled into thinking Defiance 2050 was a new game.
Noodles Jr
Noodles Jr
Posted on 28 December 18 at 21:45
Just a non-toxic comment passing by dance
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 28 December 18 at 21:51, Edited on 28 December 18 at 21:53 by N0T PENNYS B0AT
LuckyConquerer2 said:
Sashamorning said:
With all respect...

Even though Night in the Woods was excluded from 2018's vote, it won't be added to 2019's.

If you are struggling for articles, why not repost some of the best articles of the year or years gone, interview site members, have staff discuss their highs and lows for the year so far, but leave all the stats until the year is complete? A lot of new members have missed the TA Top 5 and it could also have a discussion on the topic revisited.
I’m not struggling for articles though. I appreciate all the suggestions but I’ve been doing this since 2011 and feel I have a good grasp on things. If you have other suggestions please PM me or create another thread as this conversation has sadly derailed this story.

Edit: And Sasha, if you missed them, my subsequent comments after that which you quoted explains why and how these stories are made this way. Okay, to PM or elsewhere please, if we can.
Pmalone6
Pmalone6
Posted on 28 December 18 at 21:56
I've appreciated all of the articles so far pertaining to the year end figures - it gives me a lot of good ideas of other games to keep an eye out for. I also appreciate all of the consistent work the admins put into the articles, the podcasts, the events, the reviews, the challenges, etc. etc. etc. and it's one of my favorite sites to visit to kill some time. Please keep up the excellent work and I look forward to what you all will bring in 2019! compute
eayragt
eayragt
Posted on 28 December 18 at 22:03
Hi team. Thanks for the articles. Keep doing it the way it is - very, very few year charts run 1st Jan to 31st Dec, and it really makes no difference that we're using a 50 week period. There are better articles to be written in January.

If someone wants do to an updated article on 1st Jan, they can blog it. It could be the beginning of a budding journalist career.
Say everything with a smile
LuckyKant
LuckyKant
Posted on 28 December 18 at 22:05
eayragt said:
Hi team. Thanks for the articles. Keep doing it the way it is - very, very few year charts run 1st Jan to 31st Dec, and it really makes no difference that we're using a 50 week period.
Tell that to Hellblade.
dropK1CK ninJA
Posted on 28 December 18 at 22:18
LuckyConquerer2 said:
eayragt said:
Hi team. Thanks for the articles. Keep doing it the way it is - very, very few year charts run 1st Jan to 31st Dec, and it really makes no difference that we're using a 50 week period.
Tell that to Hellblade.
You have made your point. Move on or I will help you.
Ask me about my rock collection.
LuckyKant
LuckyKant
Posted on 28 December 18 at 22:22
dropK1CK ninJA said:
LuckyConquerer2 said:
eayragt said:
Tell that to Hellblade.
So discussing the list is now against the rules? It is the topic.
eayragt
eayragt
Posted on 28 December 18 at 22:30
LuckyConquerer2 said:
eayragt said:
Tell that to Hellblade.
I feel that no one in that team cares one jot.
Say everything with a smile
dropK1CK ninJA
Posted on 28 December 18 at 22:35, Edited on 28 December 18 at 22:35 by dropK1CK ninJA
LuckyConquerer2 said:
dropK1CK ninJA said:
LuckyConquerer2 said:
eayragt said:
Tell that to Hellblade.
Go review the Site Rules.

I think you should re-evaluate your posting history under the optics of "don't be a jerk". I will be more than happy to get the moderator team together and draft a detailed PM for you, but I won't discuss this further publically.
Ask me about my rock collection.
LuckyKant
LuckyKant
Posted on 28 December 18 at 22:44
dropK1CK ninJA said:
LuckyConquerer2 said:
dropK1CK ninJA said:
LuckyConquerer2 said:
eayragt said:
Tell that to Hellblade.
Go review the Site Rules.

I think you should re-evaluate your posting history under the optics of "don't be a jerk". I will be more than happy to get the moderator team together and draft a detailed PM for you, but I won't discuss this further publically.
Please see your inbox. Thank you.
Tatl360
Tatl360
Posted on 28 December 18 at 23:50
I haven't played any of these.

My only 2018 game is Tera and I hope it is on the top 10, as it's free. headspin
NawtyCawty
NawtyCawty
Posted on 29 December 18 at 00:45
I have only played the two racing games. None of the others interest me much.
DrSchlepenstein
Posted on 29 December 18 at 01:05
The only one of those I played was Burnout Paradise Remastered.
SlavenBOSS
SlavenBOSS
Posted on 29 December 18 at 01:36
Only played Onrush because it was on game pass and i wish i did not

And i played Crash too which was really fun
LV 1 Blue Slime
Posted on 29 December 18 at 02:15
Sad to see Defiance on the list, but also glad to see I'm not the only fucking stupid person that played it for some reason. Somehow worse than the 360 version.
"Slutty outfit? You're one to talk." "This isn't slutty, it's strategically placed."
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.