Game Discussion: Far Cry 2 Forum

The state of multiplayer circa late 2018

AuthorMessage
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 31 December 18 at 07:24, Edited on 13 February 19 at 23:21 by zeldafanjtl
EDIT February 13, 2019: Multiple people report that XP progress is now saving properly.

EDIT January 13, 2019: Some folks report that XP will save from matches that last less than 5 minutes. That does slow down grinding a lot, but it may make the derank glitch possible again. I haven't had a chance to test it myself yet.

There's a lot of information spread across several threads. I've read all of them, and spent a few hours toying with the game, so I wanted to condense everything here.

The short of it

Weapon manual progress is saving properly.

XP and rank are not saving properly. While you can earn XP and rank up, all your progress will go away once you quit Far Cry 2. The next time you play the game, your rank/XP will still be at whatever it was before the game's problems started occurring. For me, that's Rank 4/~1700 XP. For people who have never played the game, it'll be Rank 1/0 XP.

What this means for achievements

All achievements not related to multiplayer rank should be fine. The achievements for getting to Rank 5 and Rank 10 are mostly unaffected, because with a good boosting team you can easily pick up both of these in about half an hour.

The achievements for Rank 20 and Rank 30 are the issue.

Because you lose all rank/XP progress when you quit Far Cry 2, you basically have to do these in one sitting.

Going from Rank 1 to Rank 20 takes about 8 hours of boosting in the best possible scenario.

Going from Rank 20 to Rank 30 takes about another 40 hours of boosting (!!!) in the best possible scenario. And if you're wondering, yes the Warlord derank glitch is no longer possible due to these XP issues, so if you don't already have Warlord, you have to do this legit.

Leaving one's Xbox on for an extended period of time, hoping the game doesn't crash and they don't lose power or Xbox Live connection* until they're done, is a nightmare. It's still technically possible to earn these achievements, but unless you already happened to have a good chunk of progress done before these issues began, it's going to be a frustrating experience.

The future

Far Cry 2 goes GWG on January 16, 2019. A lot of new players will pick up the game for the first time and quickly discover that ranking isn't working properly. One of three things will happen:

1. Ubisoft won't do anything
2. Ubisoft will fix the problem
3. Ubisoft will look into the problem, decide it's not worth fixing, and announce a server shutdown

Fingers crossed that it's #2.

*jjaldana claims that losing your Xbox Live connection will not cause you to lose progress, as long as you stay in Far Cry 2. I have not tried to independently verify this yet.
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 05 January 19 at 02:48, Edited on 05 January 19 at 02:49 by zeldafanjtl
Got a form letter response back from Ubisoft a few days after filing a support ticket. I wrote back asking if I'll hear anything else from them.

Hello [name]

Thank you for contactin Ubisoft Support and sorry that you are experiencing this problem. I will be more than happy to report this to the proper team. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us back at Ubisoft.

Thank you
Michael S
Ubisoft Support
Balnazzard
Balnazzard
Posted on 05 January 19 at 19:04
Ok thanks man, keep us updated....me and my boosting partner are seeking to do this, before this issue appeared we both got to abour rank 10.....obviously its not going to help us that much, but the other good thing is that he has dummy account, so we can kill 2 players at once (did you calculate that 40 hours as 1v1 and each taking turns or 1v1 and just one sided killing?)

Either way lets hope Ubisoft would look into this matter, but something tells me they arnt gonna do a damn.....either way I dont think number 3 option is gonna happen, I think Far Cry 2 is using peer to peer, because many other older Ubisoft games like EndWar (also from 2008) got its servers shut down years ago
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 06 January 19 at 00:47, Edited on 06 January 19 at 02:46 by zeldafanjtl
Balnazzard said:
the other good thing is that he has dummy account, so we can kill 2 players at once (did you calculate that 40 hours as 1v1 and each taking turns or 1v1 and just one sided killing?)
The fastest way to XP boost is to have a 1v2 Uprising game, and have the one constantly down one the enemy captain while the captain's teammate revives. I calculated based on that method. You can get about 8000 XP per 15 minute match. Keep in mind that that 48 hour figure for going from Rank 1->30 is very optimistic, and that's just for one player to get the achievement.

Either way lets hope Ubisoft would look into this matter, but something tells me they arnt gonna do a damn.....either way I dont think number 3 option is gonna happen, I think Far Cry 2 is using peer to peer, because many other older Ubisoft games like EndWar (also from 2008) got its servers shut down years ago
The more I learn and read, it sounds like this issue might not even be Ubisoft's fault. Multiple games are having similar issues; it sounds like it's because they use Xbox Live leaderboards to store XP information and there's general issues with leaderboards right now.

Leaderboards Not Tracking/Updating for Multiple Xbox 360 Games
jjaldana
jjaldana
Posted on 06 January 19 at 02:15
Your stats won’t reset if you disconnect from live. As long as you don’t dash board or turn your Xbox off your good.
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 06 January 19 at 02:42
jjaldana said:
Your stats won’t reset if you disconnect from live. As long as you don’t dash board or turn your Xbox off your good.
Yeah? That's good to know, thank you. I'll test that myself when I get a chance.
Dresden N7
Dresden N7
Posted on 10 January 19 at 19:04
zeldafanjtl said:
The achievements for getting to Rank 5 and Rank 10 are mostly unaffected, because with a good boosting team you can easily pick up both of these in about half an hour.
I'm researching how to tackle some of these achievements. How can you reach Rank 10 in just half an hour? Is there a way to circumvent the XP cap per match? Thank you in advance!
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 10 January 19 at 22:16, Edited on 10 January 19 at 22:16 by zeldafanjtl
Dresden N7 said:
zeldafanjtl said:
The achievements for getting to Rank 5 and Rank 10 are mostly unaffected, because with a good boosting team you can easily pick up both of these in about half an hour.
I'm researching how to tackle some of these achievements. How can you reach Rank 10 in just half an hour? Is there a way to circumvent the XP cap per match? Thank you in advance!
With the current multiplayer issues, the XP cap doesn't matter.

The XP cap was really a soft cap. You could earn more than 1500 XP per match, but any excess would be lost when you turned the game off.

Since you now lose all new XP when turning the game off, there's effectively a cap of 0 XP.

So you might as well maximize your XP per game. With the boosting method I described earlier in the thread, you can get about 8000 XP per 15 minute game.
Dresden N7
Dresden N7
Posted on 10 January 19 at 23:12
Good to know, and thanks for the info! toast

Unfortunately, the time commitment and XP glitch dashes any desire to go after the rank 20 & 30 achievements and the weapon manuals. That said, hopefully I can find a boosting partner for the 2-player MP achievements, and pull out my dummy for the revives.
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 11 January 19 at 02:45, Edited on 11 January 19 at 02:46 by zeldafanjtl
I’m still holding out hope that this gets fixed. We’ll have to see.

Also, just to be clear, you can still earn weapon manual progress normally. That progress is still saving properly.
Dresden N7
Dresden N7
Posted on 11 January 19 at 07:58
Speaking of which, are certain stats like total revives saving properly as well? (My plan is to do Field Hospital in one session anyway, but good to know just in case.)
Balnazzard
Balnazzard
Posted on 11 January 19 at 14:53
Yes revives are also saving properly, just like weapon kills. In case this xp saving issue isnt fixed though, I would suggest that those of us who are still able to pull of longer session might all team up and that way we might be able to pull of more XP faster and not have such dreadfully long session.

Unfortunately in the game you cant pull off teams like 1vs3, but if we are able to create 2vs3 (where one is dummy account on the side where the player is doing the killing obviously) then it would cut down the time required to get to rank 30 atleast somewhat....ofc it would mean that one would have to help 2 players instead of just 1 (or more depending on how many players and their dummies we might be able to get together), but I would say thats still more "humane" than trying to pull of some 40h session.

But lets still hope this would somehow get fixed and return to the subject if nothing gets fixed in 2-3 weeks. Its really annoying cause when I started boosting FC2 late last year, the XP still was saved for the first 2-3 times that I boosted, thats how I was able to get to rank 10 in the first place and currently stuck there. Just my luck that when I finally start boosting something its broken and requires heck of a lot more work than it used to, same thing happened with Killzone 2 year ago when I boosted it before server closure, the stats were not saving properly, the leaderboards were not working properly and thus it required heck of a lot of boosting, competing against other players trying to get to top 20-25 players in a week.

Atleast this is not that bad, and ofc one might still be able to pull of longer session for this, taking breaks and even sleeping, but there is always the risk of the game crashing or network problem that might sign you out of Xbox Live and ruining it...
jjaldana
jjaldana
Posted on 12 January 19 at 19:38
Has anyone tried finishing matches in less than 5 minutes? Cause those matches may save the exp.
Charles D Wayne
Posted on 13 January 19 at 16:34
jjaldana said:
Has anyone tried finishing matches in less than 5 minutes? Cause those matches may save the exp.
Yeah i did it with Balnazzard, it saves the xp but even if you do it that way it takes so much time because of the loading screens.
Charles D Wayne
fireiz
fireiz
Posted on 16 January 19 at 13:25
so i shouldn't start this game then, i thought i can use the exploit to get to lvl 30 quickly then derank to rank 5
Have no fear, Amjad is here
Seitzz
Seitzz
Posted on 16 January 19 at 16:11
All of this has me rethinking whether I want to eventually boost this or not. Just hoping that this gets better in the future, I'd really love to 100% Far Cry 2 and some of the other arcade titles in the series.
CyberAly
CyberAly
Posted on 16 January 19 at 23:33
This is really annoying because I was looking forward to finally being able to play this game with some real people, since I was sure loads would be hitting it when it went into Games with Gold. There are lots of people playing but I don't know how long they'll stick around once they realize their progress doesn't count...
gobey17
gobey17
Posted on 17 January 19 at 15:52, Edited on 17 January 19 at 15:53 by gobey17
Argh, just needed the rank 20 achievement and I would be done with this crap. That's right that people are not going to stick around for the multiplayer if exp isn't counting so I hope they'll fix it. But the game is old so I don't have high hopes. *sigh*
GRAN ADEVAYOR
Posted on 17 January 19 at 16:21
Yesterday I downloaded the free game on the xbox 360 and really the multiplayer does not record the xp (rando) every time I turned off the machine again I restarted to level 1.Please inform us if Ubisoft is going to do something about it or send me a URL to make the claim , reckon that all players should do the same if we really want the game to be corrected. Thanks
MoMo
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 17 January 19 at 17:38
The Ubisoft support site is https://support.ubi.com/

You can open a ticket there.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.