Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Celeste Goes Free With Gold A Day Early, New Levels Announced

AuthorMessage
Swinny Costello
Posted on 31 December 18 at 20:17
For those complaining, please give it a rest. The majority of GWG titles are big, pretty AAA titles. Celeste is considered one of the games of the year, and is the first free game Ive been happy to get in a very long time. Also - it's an amazing game to watch being speedrun.
ComboChrist
ComboChrist
Posted on 31 December 18 at 20:21
J4CKA1 said:
Looking at the screenshot, I still don't know why everyone is tripping out over this game. Is it just THAT easy or something?
something something abortion. Nah jk, indie garbage that normies eat up.
Elyoh
Elyoh
Posted on 31 December 18 at 20:56
A day early? I could bring up time zones here, but why ruin the magic? wink
No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
planting42
planting42
Posted on 31 December 18 at 21:17, Edited on 31 December 18 at 21:17 by planting42
Not to rain on this parade but GWG is typically available a day early - especially the X1 titles.
Shizblacka
Shizblacka
Posted on 31 December 18 at 21:38
Celeste is my favorite game of 2018. Can't recommend this one enough. The gameplay, graphics, sound and story are all top notch.
J4CKA1
J4CKA1
Posted on 31 December 18 at 21:48
This is modern day graphics.

This is not modern day graphics.

Which is not a huge jump from this.

Sorry, but there's plenty of other stuff out there that look better, with (i'm positive) a better story, and better sound. Probably not for free, but I would rather pay $30 on something I'm super into and blown away by from all angles. This game might do it for some, but I just can't see it working for me on a 70 inch TV after playing games that look far away better than this.
Elyoh
Elyoh
Posted on 31 December 18 at 21:58
J4CKA1 said:The first one cost 9 figures to make. You're not comparing apples with apples here...
No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
Elite1111111111
Posted on 31 December 18 at 22:00
J4CKA1 said:It's a 2D-platformer. 'Modern-day graphics' would be rather superfluous.
xSRYANx
xSRYANx
Posted on 31 December 18 at 22:22
J4CKA1 said:

Sorry, but there's plenty of other stuff out there that look better, with (i'm positive) a better story, and better sound. Probably not for free, but I would rather pay $30 on something I'm super into and blown away by from all angles. This game might do it for some, but I just can't see it working for me on a 70 inch TV after playing games that look far away better than this.
This only proves that you're a massive jackass.

The game tackles anxiety, and how mentally crippling it can become. Ton of metaphors and an excellent message. If you don't understand it? fine. But control wise it's also incredible and the platforming is amazing.

Only caring about how it looks make you petty af
zDrUnKeNMoNkEyz
Posted on 31 December 18 at 22:41, Edited on 31 December 18 at 22:46 by zDrUnKeNMoNkEyz
ComboChrist said:
J4CKA1 said:
Looking at the screenshot, I still don't know why everyone is tripping out over this game. Is it just THAT easy or something?
something something abortion. Nah jk, indie garbage that normies eat up.
roll lol what? Your so edgy! You tell them normies whats up! clap
Matthew
MVPVincent
MVPVincent
Posted on 31 December 18 at 22:54
J4CKA1 said:

Comparing the devs of Celeste to the devs of RDR2 is stupid, namely because one is a company with millions to spend on their games and the other isn't.

And hey, if you want to skip this just because of the graphics, that's your loss.
I am a man of few words, but many riddles.
J4CKA1
J4CKA1
Posted on 31 December 18 at 23:00
Yes, thank you all for riding my ass for MY opinion. You're all so amazing.

1) i'm not comparing devs, only the game overall
2) i haven't played the game so i don't know anything about what the story has to offer. since it's an ID game, I would guess it's not AS good as other AAA titles.
3) i probably AM a jackass, but has little-to-nothing to do with my opinion here.
4) I have a HUGE place in my heart for people who suffer from mental illness because of a recent family member losing his life to his battle
5) to say that the graphics are amazing in this game is pretty much a lie. if you have fond memories and it's a great game for you, awesome. it doesn't change the graphics though.
6) i love all this attention dance
Deadsh0tGG
Deadsh0tGG
Posted on 31 December 18 at 23:41, Edited on 31 December 18 at 23:45 by Deadsh0tGG
J4CKA1 said:This is a game with a production budget in the hundreds of millions (and close enough to a billion if you take into consideration the marketing cost). Over 3,000 people contributed to making this game.

J4CKA1 said:This is a game with a production budget in the millions, maybe less, and with limited marketing. Probably less than a hundred people worked on this game. Plus, the game's artistic design is on point, considering the genre. It's not like you get a massive open world with pixel art style graphics.

Of course, it is your right to like or not to like any game for whatever reason. However, your comparison is completely invalid, since what you are comparing is two different genres and two (very) different development teams and publishers.
JungAndReckless
Posted on 01 January 19 at 00:54
J4CKA1 said:

2) i haven't played the game so i don't know anything about what the story has to offer. since it's an ID game, I would guess it's not AS good as other AAA titles.
3) i probably AM a jackass, but has little-to-nothing to do with my opinion here.
4) I have a HUGE place in my heart for people who suffer from mental illness because of a recent family member losing his life to his battle
5) to say that the graphics are amazing in this game is pretty much a lie. if you have fond memories and it's a great game for you, awesome. it doesn't change the graphics though.
I honestly thought people like you didn't exist anymore. I guess platformers shouldn't exist unless they look realistic. Minecraft or Terraria must be awful looking games. This is a good looking game, that accomplished the graphical fidelity it aspired to. Your inability to appreciate anything that doesn't try to look photorealistic makes you look... stupid.
OldSchoolBlood
Posted on 01 January 19 at 01:06
I can understand people complaining about the GWG repeat Laura Croft: GOL, but complaining about Celeste...come on give it a rest. This is one of the better GWG titles in a long time. It was up for game of the year and has received rave reviews. A+ choice by Microsoft on this one.
Leviathan USBM
Posted on 01 January 19 at 01:34
What a nice surprise.
The Allslayer
The Allslayer
Posted on 01 January 19 at 01:35
OldSchoolBlood said:
I can understand people complaining about the GWG repeat Laura Croft: GOL, but complaining about Celeste...come on give it a rest. This is one of the better GWG titles in a long time. It was up for game of the year and has received rave reviews. A+ choice by Microsoft on this one.
B-but muh graphics.
Ostrowidzki1989
Posted on 01 January 19 at 02:34
Gonna give it a go, but what's so special about this game? Everyone is praising it everywhere.
Mo the Surfer
Mo the Surfer
Posted on 01 January 19 at 02:47
I watched a gameplay video for the first level of this game - no thank you!
The new dashboard sux!
J4CKA1
J4CKA1
Posted on 01 January 19 at 03:21, Edited on 01 January 19 at 03:22 by J4CKA1
JungAndReckless said:
J4CKA1 said:

I honestly thought people like you didn't exist anymore. I guess platformers shouldn't exist unless they look realistic. Minecraft or Terraria must be awful looking games. This is a good looking game, that accomplished the graphical fidelity it aspired to. Your inability to appreciate anything that doesn't try to look photorealistic makes you look... stupid.
name calling. nice. yes there's millions of people who would rather spend their minuscule amount of free time on a product at the pinnacle of what gaming has reached. i can appreciate what they are trying to do, but it's just not for me. the fact that people were saying that the graphics were top notch just plainly isn't true and what made me throw my hat in the ring with a different perspective.

yes i do think that minecraft looks awful btw. it's wildly popular and even my kids like it and i bought it for them on both of their ipads, but again, it's just not for me. it's amazing that there's people still out there that will call someone out for having a differing opinion while acting like they are tolerant of other views.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.