Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Celeste Goes Free With Gold A Day Early, New Levels Announced

AuthorMessage
JDFurbz
JDFurbz
Posted on 01 January 19 at 03:22
I just played a few hours of Celeste and it's definitely challenging in unassisted mode. I think my death count for the second stage alone was over 200. While that may be a testament to my ordinary reflexes, the game is certainly quite hard and frustrating, at least for me.

Regardless, i have found it quite fun, for sure. One thing I'm not sure of is why everyone has been raving about it being the best game this year and one of the greatest platformers ever.
I think it even won a bunch of awards recently as well.

It's a pretty, nicely made game but I don't get where all this adoration is coming from. Maybe it's just not my thing...
Jacques Bauer
Jacques Bauer
Posted on 01 January 19 at 04:03
I wish I waited a few more weeks to buy this one, but I don't regret it.

Celeste has a style and story that is very enjoyable. The game starts off easy and builds to become very challenging in the extra levels. However with the assists on, you can skip the more tortuous points of the game to get all the achievements. That way even if you dont enjoy this style of game, there isn't anything stopping you from experiencing everything.
JungAndReckless
Posted on 01 January 19 at 04:24
J4CKA1 said:
JungAndReckless said:
J4CKA1 said:
Yes, thank you all for riding my ass for MY opinion. You're all so amazing.

1) i'm not comparing devs, only the game overall
2) i haven't played the game so i don't know anything about what the story has to offer. since it's an ID game, I would guess it's not AS good as other AAA titles.
3) i probably AM a jackass, but has little-to-nothing to do with my opinion here.
4) I have a HUGE place in my heart for people who suffer from mental illness because of a recent family member losing his life to his battle
5) to say that the graphics are amazing in this game is pretty much a lie. if you have fond memories and it's a great game for you, awesome. it doesn't change the graphics though.
6) i love all this attention dance
I honestly thought people like you didn't exist anymore. I guess platformers shouldn't exist unless they look realistic. Minecraft or Terraria must be awful looking games. This is a good looking game, that accomplished the graphical fidelity it aspired to. Your inability to appreciate anything that doesn't try to look photorealistic makes you look... stupid.
name calling. nice. yes there's millions of people who would rather spend their minuscule amount of free time on a product at the pinnacle of what gaming has reached. i can appreciate what they are trying to do, but it's just not for me. the fact that people were saying that the graphics were top notch just plainly isn't true and what made me throw my hat in the ring with a different perspective.

yes i do think that minecraft looks awful btw. it's wildly popular and even my kids like it and i bought it for them on both of their ipads, but again, it's just not for me. it's amazing that there's people still out there that will call someone out for having a differing opinion while acting like they are tolerant of other views.
What you aren't letting get through that thick skull of yours is that photorealistic graphics aren't the "best" graphics. Games are designed with different styles in mind, and none of them are better than the others. Name calling comes in when you bandy your opinion about as fact, especially when its dead wrong. Borderlands, Dishonored, Destiny, Bioshock, and many more all have excellent graphics, but they all use different styles. 2 bit is an art style, and it is the ONLY art style that will ever fit a platformer, and this game in particular has excellent graphics in its style. You can have your opinion that red dead has the best graphics, but you do NOT get to tote it around as postulate.
J4CKA1
J4CKA1
Posted on 01 January 19 at 04:58, Edited on 01 January 19 at 04:59 by J4CKA1
2 bit is an art style, and it is the ONLY art style that will ever fit a platformer?

Who's close minded now?

Opinions are bad, got it.

Carry on.
Erdie1980
Erdie1980
Posted on 01 January 19 at 11:00
The game seems really fun to play, but so do literally thousands of 8/16 bit retro games, of which many even have better graphics, although they are 30 years older.
Mental Knight 5
Posted on 01 January 19 at 13:32
Well. Beating Chapter 1 (legit) is one of the hardest things I've ever done. laugh I felt like I earned an achievement after half of the screens.
WhitestAFI2ICAN
Posted on 01 January 19 at 13:42
Game looks fucking trash, like a 8 year old made it. Don’t get the hype.
Stinky Big Buds
Posted on 01 January 19 at 14:43
I really don't want to be one of those guys that calls games out but it's not really my cup of tea either. I much preferred Rogue Legacy or Graveyard Keeper, they had about the same level of graphics and budget I would imagine and I loved those games. It's a shame I was looking forward to playing after the hype and I might try it in the future, but yeah, it hasn't gripped me anywhere like I hoped.
Skanker irl
Skanker irl
Posted on 01 January 19 at 17:12
WhitestAFI2ICAN said:
Like many people have said, you probably have to play it first.
Diesskay
Diesskay
Posted on 01 January 19 at 17:48, Edited on 01 January 19 at 17:49 by Diesskay
This game is amazing and honestly top most of your so called modern day graphics but boring games.

Microsoft give us more of these games as GwG!
Stinky Big Buds
Posted on 01 January 19 at 21:47
Diesskay said:
This game is amazing and honestly top most of your so called modern day graphics but boring games.

Microsoft give us more of these games as GwG!
I take back my comment, I gave the game an hour longer, met my progmatic and the game definitely starts to get more jazzy. I've seen enough to know I likes it now and i'm glad I gave it more time, i'm not sure if it can live up to the hype for me personally but i'll find out for sure. Oh and the Graphics are no problem for me.
Swinny Costello
Posted on 02 January 19 at 00:32
WhitestAFI2ICAN said:
If an 8 year old can make a game this amazing, then all the power to them.
AbsolutioN IX
AbsolutioN IX
Posted on 02 January 19 at 01:21
This community has become so narrow minded in the last few years. I can't believe people in this day still pass on games based on graphics alone, meanwhile games with 'modern day graphics' are shovelling the same shit out every single year, and no one blinks an eye.

I'll play 100 indie games before I ever buy another Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty.
J4CKA1
J4CKA1
Posted on 02 January 19 at 03:32
AbsolutioN IX said:
This community has become so narrow minded in the last few years. I can't believe people in this day still pass on games based on graphics alone, meanwhile games with 'modern day graphics' are shovelling the same shit out every single year, and no one blinks an eye.

I'll play 100 indie games before I ever buy another Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty.
Call of duty I agree. Assassin's creed... ehhhhh. Odyssey is pretty fun. RDR2 is amazing from the couple hours I had my hands on it.

All in all, o didn't buy a new one and a 70in 4k tv to play a 2d 8bit platformer. Different strokes bro.
ImJustYourDaddy
Posted on 02 January 19 at 03:49, Edited on 02 January 19 at 03:50 by ImJustYourDaddy
Most hype that i've ever been seeing a game appear in the GWG list.

(With OXENFREE being a sleeper, because I thought that it was fantastic but had no expectations going into it)
Santino
AbsolutioN IX
AbsolutioN IX
Posted on 02 January 19 at 04:29
J4CKA1 said:
AbsolutioN IX said:

Call of duty I agree. Assassin's creed... ehhhhh. Odyssey is pretty fun. RDR2 is amazing from the couple hours I had my hands on it.

All in all, o didn't buy a new one and a 70in 4k tv to play a 2d 8bit platformer. Different strokes bro.
I totally understand that everyone doesn't have to like everything, it's just the reasoning that bothers me. I'm not shitting on AAA games, either. I love the 100 hours I've put into RDR2.

Judging your previous posts, I can see we're never going to agree on this topic. Basically what I'm trying to say is graphics should never, ever come first. That shouldn't even be a debate.
J4CKA1
J4CKA1
Posted on 02 January 19 at 05:57
AbsolutioN IX said:
J4CKA1 said:
AbsolutioN IX said:

I totally understand that everyone doesn't have to like everything, it's just the reasoning that bothers me. I'm not shitting on AAA games, either. I love the 100 hours I've put into RDR2.

Judging your previous posts, I can see we're never going to agree on this topic. Basically what I'm trying to say is graphics should never, ever come first. That shouldn't even be a debate.
100% agree. When I still have RDR2, odyssey and others that I have yet to start that have good stories and amazing graphics, the choice is easy for me.
ImJustYourDaddy
Posted on 02 January 19 at 06:09, Edited on 02 January 19 at 06:15 by ImJustYourDaddy
I've never really understood the "graphics" argument because people almost never actually mean graphics when they use it

I will say that I feel like a bunch of games use the older pixelated kinda art style because it doesn't look outdated as quickly (at least imo). Games that are made to look as good or as realistic as possible tended to look outdated really quickly especially before this current generation of consoles

I do understand not wanting to play something that you don't want to look at though (not in video games). When it comes to shows (anime type shit), there are some art styles that I legitimately just can't deal with enough to actually watch the show. For example, Diamond is Unbreakable or One Piece (though I would never be interested in One Piece anyways)
Santino
eayragt
eayragt
Posted on 02 January 19 at 07:14
AbsolutioN IX said:

I actually don't think that is the community. There's a "hardcore" minority who won't touch a basic graphic game, regardless of how fun it's meant to be. However, most of the community puts gaming first, and graphics is a much lower priority. Thomas Was Alone has almost 20,000 gamers, for example.

Don't let a few vocal voices (who are entitled to their opinion) make you think they speak for all.
Say everything with a smile
Stinky Big Buds
Posted on 02 January 19 at 13:06
eayragt said:
AbsolutioN IX said:

I actually don't think that is the community. There's a "hardcore" minority who won't touch a basic graphic game, regardless of how fun it's meant to be. However, most of the community puts gaming first, and graphics is a much lower priority. Thomas Was Alone has almost 20,000 gamers, for example.

Don't let a few vocal voices (who are entitled to their opinion) make you think they speak for all.
I don't think "they" are the ones in the minority, but there's plenty of people in the minority that it doesn't matter.

I only have 1 friend on Xbox :( but it was the same on PS where I had more :D The majority will look at this game and scoff at the graphics, I suppose I could be wrong but that is my own experiences. The majority of people I have hung around with on consoles don't even know/care what the free games are until I tell them each month.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.