Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TrueAchievements Readers' Top 50 Games of 2018

AuthorMessage
Arador
Arador
Posted on 10 January 19 at 06:58
Nice to see Fallout make top 20, was my personal 2nd Favorite last year behind Assassin's Creed Odyssey
planting42
planting42
Posted on 10 January 19 at 18:36
Springbok NL said:
Gleaming Cube said:
a44Special said:
Fallout 76 on this list at all is sad, being number 20 is even worse. That game is garbage.
I know it's cool to hate on Fallout 76 at the moment but you haven't even played it according to your profile! I see so many bad comments from people that haven't even played the game but seem to know everything about it.
^ This.
Heaven forbid we watch gameplay before spending money. roll
I8ITackyticsI8I
Posted on 10 January 19 at 18:39
You can't judge a game by just watching gameplay. That's like saying you want to watch a plane journey before you fly yourself. It doesn't give you the feeling of experiencing it.

Also how much gameplay? What gameplay specifically? Can you judge a film you watched 20 minutes of halfway through?
Reborn Insanity
Posted on 10 January 19 at 18:55
I8ITackyticsI8I said:
You can't judge a game by just watching gameplay. That's like saying you want to watch a plane journey before you fly yourself. It doesn't give you the feeling of experiencing it.

Also how much gameplay? What gameplay specifically? Can you judge a film you watched 20 minutes of halfway through?
I've seen enough gameplay to determine games like Fallout 76 or Alien Colonial Marines isn't what it could have been and not up to my personal standards. Streams, reviews, YouTube videos, etc. There's plenty of media out there to view and form an opinion on a game without having to purchase it first.

I'm sure some people are having fun with it, but that doesn't mean everyone will enjoy it or like what they see.
See You Space Cowboy...
planting42
planting42
Posted on 10 January 19 at 20:59, Edited on 10 January 19 at 20:59 by planting42
^

What's the point of reviews then? We learn about a game through someone else without playing it ourselves.

Seriously, why can't you accept its not something I want to play? I've seen what its about. Its not single player so to me, its not Fallout.

Let me put it to you this way. I'm not spending my hard earned money on a game that is so far below my expectations I can't put it in words.
planting42
planting42
Posted on 10 January 19 at 21:15
dropK1CK ninJA said:
freedomgirl85 said:
so everyone was to scared to tell the truth and vote Conan with its admin control panel the top game for this site
Huh?
There's an admin panel that lets you level up and spawn what you want where you stand much like in Ark. That said, its easy achievements but a really really bad game.
MattiasAnderson
Posted on 11 January 19 at 08:27
I8ITackyticsI8I said:

I would beg the difference!

People who gamed all their life and played thousands of games can. I know I can. I am maybe wrong about 1 out of lets see....500 games perhaps.

I actually took a thought before writing the number down.
Magic
Gleaming Cube
Gleaming Cube
Posted on 11 January 19 at 13:49
planting42 said:
^

What's the point of reviews then? We learn about a game through someone else without playing it ourselves.

Seriously, why can't you accept its not something I want to play? I've seen what its about. Its not single player so to me, its not Fallout.

Let me put it to you this way. I'm not spending my hard earned money on a game that is so far below my expectations I can't put it in words.
I don't think anyone is saying they can't except you don't want to play a game. The problem arises when other people watch Fallout 76 gameplay videos, decide it's not for them (which is perfectly acceptable) and then go on to trash said game. Calling it garbage, a joke etc etc.

The hate for Fallout 76 stems from the online aspect, that much is obvious. It's online, and people hate online, myself included. Then you actually play it and you find the online aspect is such a small part of it that after playing 20 odd hours completely solo you almost forget it's online at all. Problem is people will never find that out because they've watched a YouTube video and have already decided it's a "dumpster fire" and bethesda need to burn in hell.
Never touch that switch, even if you want to.
DeliriousDrew
DeliriousDrew
Posted on 12 January 19 at 07:34
a44Special said:
Fallout 76 on this list at all is sad, being number 20 is even worse. That game is garbage.
yo for real
???
I8ITackyticsI8I
Posted on 12 January 19 at 09:47
Gleaming Cube said:
planting42 said:
^

I don't think anyone is saying they can't except you don't want to play a game. The problem arises when other people watch Fallout 76 gameplay videos, decide it's not for them (which is perfectly acceptable) and then go on to trash said game. Calling it garbage, a joke etc etc.

This.

Also reviews are subjective. See the PUBG debate from last year.
Moldy Tacos5000
Posted on 14 January 19 at 15:22
I8ITackyticsI8I said:
Also reviews are subjective. See the PUBG debate from last year.
I think the line about PUBG having a great story is what caused more debate than the rating, hah.
ArkhmInmate0801
ArkhmInmate0801
Posted on 15 January 19 at 18:01
I don't care what people say, I enjoyed Fallout 76. I also didn't understand the hype around PUBG until I went for the completion - very fun game. I think people shouldn't be so quick to judge until they try something themselves.
Qwanimal
Qwanimal
Posted on 17 January 19 at 00:43
Has anyone at TA calculated the alternative top ten weighted for number of gamers played this year? That's usually the most interesting one IMO
SlipKnoT 008
SlipKnoT 008
Posted on 17 January 19 at 00:58
Gleaming Cube said:
planting42 said:
^

The hate for Fallout 76 stems from the online aspect, that much is obvious. It's online, and people hate online, myself included. Then you actually play it and you find the online aspect is such a small part of it that after playing 20 odd hours completely solo you almost forget it's online at all. Problem is people will never find that out because they've watched a YouTube video and have already decided it's a {#}dumpster fire{#} and bethesda need to burn in hell.
The hate for Fallout 76 stems from many factors aside from the game being buggy. I don't know if it's hate towards Fallout 76 as much as it is Bethesda. Time and time again Bethesda has released games with countless bugs, some of which were never patched and at times there was a patch and it broke something else. Now I understand not everything is going to be perfect but some of the stuff they have done is unbelievable.

Secondly, the blunder with the canvas bags actually being advertised as canvas bags in the collector's edition and then people get these crummy nylon bags instead. At first how did Bethesda say sorry? Here is 500 Atoms(Worth $5); the joke with that was it wasn't enough atoms to buy the canvas bag in the game.

Thirdly, the leaked personal information with tickets in regards to the bag replacement. People were getting ticket submissions to their personal email that contained other users personal addresses, payment information etc.

Fourth, the Nuka Dark Rum fiasco. Misleading? Maybe, crap rum for $80, I am sure it wasn't worth the price tag. People were expecting a cool glass nuka cola style bottle, instead it was a plastic shell.

Fifth, Bethesda came out last year and said they were all about single player games. Kind of a shot at EA. Then all of the sudden we see an online only Fallout. I am sure many were pissed because this is not the Fallout they were hoping for.

Lastly, the bad fixes they implemented. The game had a patch for ultra wide monitors when all it actually was shown to be was a stretching of the 16x9 image which caused over sized HUD items and screen tearing in the environment which wasn't designed to be displayed in ultra wide. And according to some, and a friend of mine who played it on PC, one patch actually nerfed XP gains. I can't confirm it, only going off what I have read and what I've been told.

So in all honesty I don't know if the hate is towards Fallout 76 as a game, I think it's more directed for how Bethesda has just dropped the ball on numerous occasions with it's launch and PR.
BLOOdREDkN7GHT
Posted yesterday at 15:31
can't wait to play all of these games someday!
GBR!
SneakingD0nutZ
Posted yesterday at 19:57
Little disappointed that Shenmue wasn't higher. IMO no game has better atmosphere and not enough people have played it.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.