Industry News Forum

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Bungie Cutting Ties With Activision, Will Self-Publish Destiny Going Forward

AuthorMessage
J4CKA1
J4CKA1
Posted on 11 January 19 at 14:34
The best way to play Destiny is to wait to start the game until all the "DLC" is out, and then buy the full game for $60 with no broken elements in the game and all the improvements in place.
GrmRpr69
GrmRpr69
Posted on 11 January 19 at 14:35
Shadow Kisuragi said:
Would you say Bungie are now in control of their own Destiny?
...I'll show myself out.

(You're welcome Discord)
Well played...
toast
InfinityOnH1gh
Posted on 11 January 19 at 15:12
Hopefully we can see some new innovations going forward, like timed exclusive micro-transactions or something.
dlCHIEF58
dlCHIEF58
Posted on 11 January 19 at 15:48
Hawk xVx said:
Now will find out if Exclusivity is a Activision thing or if Bungie is still going to lockout xbox users from content. I mean i won't, i haven't touched that hot mess since the 2nd week of launch lol
It should be quite obvious the SONY exclusivity deal was all on Activision since they also have one for Call of Duty. What bothered me the most was the length of time they put on the content, a whole year was beyond ridiculous. I hope for a more balanced approach in future content.
GoodGodLetsEat
Posted on 11 January 19 at 18:41
Activision is infamous for their blatant Microtransaction shills. If anything, the company has no where to go but up.
N7 Tigger
N7 Tigger
Posted on 11 January 19 at 20:42
And if they completely remove Eververse I might actually buy Destiny 2. If they decide to just milk what they can out of it until Destiny 3 I won't buy 2 or 3.
DarkLord Zephyr
Posted on 11 January 19 at 21:46
Reading some of these comments and how ignorant some people can be is really astounding. Always gives me a laugh. That said, Bungie leaving association with Activision and potentially self publishing - whether for Destiny or other IPs they may already have in the works or near future - is a great thing.
N7 Tigger
N7 Tigger
Posted on 11 January 19 at 22:09
DarkLord Zephyr said:
Reading some of these comments and how ignorant some people can be is really astounding. Always gives me a laugh. That said, Bungie leaving association with Activision and potentially self publishing - whether for Destiny or other IPs they may already have in the works or near future - is a great thing.
Care to ellaborate or are you too busy sniffing your own farts?
Algur
Algur
Posted on 11 January 19 at 22:48
SheBeatsYou said:
Algur said:
SheBeatsYou said:
Algur said:
SheBeatsYou said:
Once youve made a deal with the devil can u go back and save face? Im not sure it works like that lol. I doubt it was all activision they didnt own Bungie so why did bungie listen? Hmmmm. If one of my companies partners told me to rob our customers id tell them to eat a dick... they wanted and enjoyed the pillaging too...just sayin lol they dont get off the hook in my opinion warning
When did Bungie rob anyone?
Lol r u serious? Locking away main game content to be later sold as dlc forcing players to upgrade by changing base game. Season pass and then $40 dlc not part of season pass then microtransactions and all the milking milking milking. They prey on the foolish and have phycologists advising them how to get kids addicted to the microtransactions and hooked on gambling. Sounds like robbery to me. If u bought a tv and 3 months later u get a message telling u that u need to purchase a firmware upgrade for $40 or your tv will no longer work would u feel u were being robbed? I think so! Gamers just seem to ignore the similarities. If u wanna shell out the money then thats cool but dont deny your bending over n taking it. laugh
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/rob

You might want to read the definition and rethink your phrasing. Everything you've described is voluntary on the part of the customer.

Edit: Your TV analogy is also a false equivalence.
The base game no longer worked after the DLC opened up. That is NOT choice. U can beleive whatever u want to justify your purchases to better sleep at night I really dont care and im good with my assessment TYVM
I did a search of your game collection and saw that you haven't played D1 or D2 so it makes sense that you're unaware of what occurred or its resolution. When you say the base game no longer worked after the DLC opened up you are referring to the incident last year when Curse of Osiris released and raised the light level required to participate in prestige activities. Specifically, it locked players out of being able to earn The Prestige achievement. This was certainly a poor decision on Bungie's part. However, Bungie quickly fixed this after receiving heavy and justified fan backlash. There is no vanilla content that is locked behind the DLC.
N7 Tigger
N7 Tigger
Posted on 12 January 19 at 00:50
Algur said:
SheBeatsYou said:
Algur said:
SheBeatsYou said:
Algur said:
SheBeatsYou said:
Once youve made a deal with the devil can u go back and save face? Im not sure it works like that lol. I doubt it was all activision they didnt own Bungie so why did bungie listen? Hmmmm. If one of my companies partners told me to rob our customers id tell them to eat a dick... they wanted and enjoyed the pillaging too...just sayin lol they dont get off the hook in my opinion warning
Lol r u serious? Locking away main game content to be later sold as dlc forcing players to upgrade by changing base game. Season pass and then $40 dlc not part of season pass then microtransactions and all the milking milking milking. They prey on the foolish and have phycologists advising them how to get kids addicted to the microtransactions and hooked on gambling. Sounds like robbery to me. If u bought a tv and 3 months later u get a message telling u that u need to purchase a firmware upgrade for $40 or your tv will no longer work would u feel u were being robbed? I think so! Gamers just seem to ignore the similarities. If u wanna shell out the money then thats cool but dont deny your bending over n taking it. laugh

You might want to read the definition and rethink your phrasing. Everything you've described is voluntary on the part of the customer.

The base game no longer worked after the DLC opened up. That is NOT choice. U can beleive whatever u want to justify your purchases to better sleep at night I really dont care and im good with my assessment TYVM
I did a search of your game collection and saw that you haven't played D1 or D2 so it makes sense that you're unaware of what occurred or its resolution. When you say the base game no longer worked after the DLC opened up you are referring to the incident last year when Curse of Osiris released and raised the light level required to participate in prestige activities. Specifically, it locked players out of being able to earn The Prestige achievement. This was certainly a poor decision on Bungie's part. However, Bungie quickly fixed this after receiving heavy and justified fan backlash. There is no vanilla content that is locked behind the DLC.
This is completely false. There was a lot of content in vanilla Destiny 1 that became locked off to anyone who didn't buy the DLC. It was a very frequent complaint as they basically took away content that players had already paid for. Off the top of my head I'd say the Nightfall was the one people were most pissed off about.
iMaginaryy
iMaginaryy
Posted on 12 January 19 at 05:14, Edited on 12 January 19 at 05:14 by iMaginaryy
Redanian said:
Algur said:
SheBeatsYou said:
The area for The Dark Below DLC was already on the vanilla Destiny disc at release, but it had been carved out to be sold separately at a later date and the area was walled off.
I'm not sure if it was Dark Below or a different one, but I remember glitching into that walled off area that looked like Mercury all vex and whatnot in Vanilla destiny before any dlc etc. Nobody knew what it was at the time, if it was a secret or easter egg or dlc but there were suspicions already that it was on disc dlc. Regardless, fun times glitching in with friends.

[have some clips of it somewhere buried way back towards the beginning of my clips]
Fear is the mindkiller.
iMaginaryy
iMaginaryy
Posted on 12 January 19 at 05:17, Edited on 12 January 19 at 05:21 by iMaginaryy
N7 Tigger said:
Algur said:
SheBeatsYou said:
Algur said:
SheBeatsYou said:
Algur said:
SheBeatsYou said:

This is completely false. There was a lot of content in vanilla Destiny 1 that became locked off to anyone who didn't buy the DLC. It was a very frequent complaint as they basically took away content that players had already paid for. Off the top of my head I'd say the Nightfall was the one people were most pissed off about.
Also I can support that was N7 says is true in vanilla destiny, I was there. [the latter - much of vanilla destiny was locked off when dlc released, at least for a time. I had the dlc/sp already so I forget if it was permanent or remedied at any point] What is said about Destiny 2 above is also true, but minor in comparison. Especially since it could be expected to some degree based on precedent from D1.

I'm not sure how much it qualified as "robbing" as those in for the destiny/halo experience already fully expected from Bungie that there would be more or less mandatory DLC packages. You don't sign up for Bungie if you're not signing on for the full ride (or at least Micrungie/Bungovision). However, unaware newcomers likely had right to be shocked and peeved to some degree, and making it clearer from the beginning probably would have been more ethically sound.

Sorry for potential double post, but two long and completely separate ideas.
Fear is the mindkiller.
Algur
Algur
Posted on 12 January 19 at 06:25
N7 Tigger said:
Algur said:
SheBeatsYou said:
Algur said:
SheBeatsYou said:
Algur said:
SheBeatsYou said:

Completely false? So Bungie didn't remedy the situation after the Curse of Osiris release last year? Now that would be a demonstrably false assertion. As for your claims about D1, I was unaware of any vanilla content that was inaccessible after the various DLCs released. Care to give some specifics?
Algur
Algur
Posted on 12 January 19 at 06:28
iMaginaryy said:
N7 Tigger said:
Algur said:
SheBeatsYou said:
Algur said:
SheBeatsYou said:
Algur said:
SheBeatsYou said:

Also I can support that was N7 says is true in vanilla destiny, I was there. [the latter - much of vanilla destiny was locked off when dlc released, at least for a time. I had the dlc/sp already so I forget if it was permanent or remedied at any point] What is said about Destiny 2 above is also true, but minor in comparison. Especially since it could be expected to some degree based on precedent from D1.

I'm not sure how much it qualified as {#}robbing{#} as those in for the destiny/halo experience already fully expected from Bungie that there would be more or less mandatory DLC packages. You don't sign up for Bungie if you're not signing on for the full ride (or at least Micrungie/Bungovision). However, unaware newcomers likely had right to be shocked and peeved to some degree, and making it clearer from the beginning probably would have been more ethically sound.

Sorry for potential double post, but two long and completely separate ideas.
You're correct. Robbing is still not the correct word. You could argue that it may be fraudulent to lock vanilla content behind DLC after the fact. I'm still waiting for some specifics on this issue. Sources would be nice too.
iMaginaryy
iMaginaryy
Posted on 12 January 19 at 07:06, Edited on 12 January 19 at 07:09 by iMaginaryy
Unfortunately, my source so far is just personal experience. I played destiny 1 since the day it was released (I started on 360 and played more than I should have probably laugh, then migrated shortly ish after to xbox one). Played some Destiny 2 but not even remotely as much since I was busy with other things until recently. Hopefully will find time to play some more soon.

It's also been quite awhile since the heavy destiny days, but I enjoyed my time with the game overall. Vanilla was actually my favorite balance probably (the myth of the Mythoclast at the time shock), but some of the later DLC was quite interesting as well. Excited to see what they do independently for the third or whatever the future holds. Been a fan since Marathon. Can't say I blindly support every decision, but it's a hard road and overall the merit has outweighed anything else.

I'm sure it's recorded more concretely somewhere on the internet, that is one of the primary functions of the interweb after all wink Cheers toast
Fear is the mindkiller.
alladaskill17
alladaskill17
Posted on 12 January 19 at 21:39
DeceptiveTen said:
They see how much money Activision makes off Destiny and Bungie said fuck that we want it all. But what Bungie dont know is it cost a lot of money to publish games look at all who tried. Best of luck to them
You REALLY think Bungie doesn't have a solid grasp on what publishing costs? They might have not done it themselves but they're signing contracts (with MS/Activision) with rough figures built in, and they've been developing for a while now.. just saying, I'm sure they're aware of what it costs.
Alladaskill17
Stoic Slab
Stoic Slab
Posted on 13 January 19 at 04:05
alladaskill17 said:
DeceptiveTen said:
They see how much money Activision makes off Destiny and Bungie said fuck that we want it all. But what Bungie dont know is it cost a lot of money to publish games look at all who tried. Best of luck to them
You REALLY think Bungie doesn't have a solid grasp on what publishing costs? They might have not done it themselves but they're signing contracts (with MS/Activision) with rough figures built in, and they've been developing for a while now.. just saying, I'm sure they're aware of what it costs.
The backing from NetEase might give them a little breathing room, but the most important thing Bungie gets out of this is greater freedom to set their own financial expectations. If reactions by both companies in regards to the series’ performance is anything to go by, then Bungie’s monetary goals are definitely far less grand than what Activision envisioned.

Before, anything short of substantial growth would have been considered a disappointment – but now they’ll be content with the game earning whatever it is they’re comfortable with. Doing so might mean having a harder time drawing in more casual players, but they’ve been more concerned with satisfying the desires of their hardcore audience anyways: providing a more substantial quality of content with less aggressive monetization practices.

Whether it works out like that remains to be seen. Could they prove that a major online game can exist in today’s world with a more nuanced approach? And if it could, will Bungie resist the temptations of some of the less savory aspects of the industry (i.e. mtx and loot-boxes)?
Nibirunnaki
Nibirunnaki
Posted on 13 January 19 at 10:19
Why do you people waste your time bickering about whos right and whos wrong. Why you against each other? You should be against Activision. We are the ones to blame for giving money to corrupt pubs and devs.
TheGreatKoala
TheGreatKoala
Posted on 13 January 19 at 13:32
Nibirunnaki said:
Why do you people waste your time bickering about whos right and whos wrong. Why you against each other?
Because that is what gaming communities do. Same as people who start console arguments rather than accepting people like different things.

And this forum community is one of the worst I have ever encountered(better than UCR but far worse than gamefaqs and x360a)
J4CKA1
J4CKA1
Posted on 13 January 19 at 14:48
TheGreatKoala said:
And this forum community is one of the worst I have ever encountered(better than UCR but far worse than gamefaqs and x360a)
When it comes to bickering about stuff like this yes, but in terms of game sessions actually going through and the people's I've met, and functionality, this site is amazing.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.