Community News Forum

News for and about the community. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

The Von Coin Beta Is Under Way, Expanding to Windows 10 in January

AuthorMessage
planting42
planting42
Posted on 11 January 19 at 18:42, Edited on 11 January 19 at 19:28 by planting42
EazyE2285 said:
HawkeyeBarry20 said:
I hope they’re able to auction off game related items when a new release will happen. Like when Gears 5 comes out this year I would hope they auction some GOW stuff. It would be a good tie in since this company is really a promotion company.
I know in the initial post linked above that told us about this it showed figurines and shoes and stuff. So I think that's their eventual goal but because of the business model I'll be interested to see how many companies are willing to donate expensive items to them to give away for free
We've had at least 2 figurines now (they are in mystery auctions) as well as a decent pair of headphones.

I won a Facetime print a few days ago and from what I hear they are on actual canvas and very worthy of being displayed in your gaming den.
dlCHIEF58
dlCHIEF58
Posted on 11 January 19 at 19:37, Edited on 11 January 19 at 19:38 by dlCHIEF58
Shinnizle said:
It's especially fun if you like hard co-op board games. You can play with a traitor aspect of some sort, but I personally prefer playing it full co-op.

As for board games in general, I found myself gravitating more and more towards co-op board games, especially Campaign and Legacy ones. I'm currently playing Gloomhaven with a group of friends every few weeks and it's a lot of fun. Other than that, Mechs Vs Minions (by the creators of League of Legends), both seasons of Pandemic Legacy, and Time Stories (my personal favorite) are all games I can't recommend enough.
Thanks for the other recommendations, Gloomhaven and Pandemic are also on my wish list. A couple of good, inexpensive co-op games we've played of late are Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert - grandkids love those games and it doesn't take long to finish so you can play a few in a row, picking a different part to play each time.

A couple of the other classic, rare games I have and enjoy are Supremacy and its sister game Rollout - both now out of print and hard to come by (at least cheaply). Have most expansions for Supremacy but the ones I am missing are outrageously priced now - amazing that a few plastic pieces, the box and instruction sheet now run several hundred dollars. Another one I had and regret selling was a first edition Cosmic Encounter. Played the heck out of that in college, then had to sell it and a few other games when I was in a tight spot a few years back. I can at least get a newer edition of that at a decent price when I am ready, not so sure about the expansion sets I had though.
DeceptiveTen
DeceptiveTen
Posted on 11 January 19 at 20:04
It wont recognize my email so I can't log in
deceptiveten
dlCHIEF58
dlCHIEF58
Posted on 11 January 19 at 20:18
DeceptiveTen said:
It wont recognize my email so I can't log in
Give them a shout on Facebook or Discord, you might have the same issue I had where my e-mail domain wasn't receiving the confirmation e-mail to get further into the app. They are very helpful and pretty quick in their response.
zDrUnKeNMoNkEyz
Posted on 11 January 19 at 20:22
The only thing i really cant stand is that there isnt a mobile app?! The only reason why iive been skipping auctions is because i dont want to sit on the app for an hour or so watching it. I should be able to follow along via mobile so i can continue to game or whatever and hop back in if needed
Matthew
Tropan
Tropan
Posted on 11 January 19 at 20:34
halohogg said:
All marketing points schemes have an overall cost to the consumer in the end - whether its add space on your favourite Achievement tracking site, or bottom line higher product price.
You are buying nothing, spending fake gaming points that you would already earn on some merchandise that is more targeted for gamers. They have 1 ad for a game on the app currently, pretty low 'overall cost' currently.
3 Aussies talking about gaming, gamerscore and news! http://realgamerscore.com/
Tropan
Tropan
Posted on 11 January 19 at 20:35
zDrUnKeNMoNkEyz said:
The only thing i really cant stand is that there isnt a mobile app?! The only reason why iive been skipping auctions is because i dont want to sit on the app for an hour or so watching it. I should be able to follow along via mobile so i can continue to game or whatever and hop back in if needed
They are working on a mobile app, no worries!
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 11 January 19 at 21:27
dlCHIEF58 said:
Thanks for the other recommendations, Gloomhaven and Pandemic are also on my wish list. A couple of good, inexpensive co-op games we've played of late are Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert - grandkids love those games and it doesn't take long to finish so you can play a few in a row, picking a different part to play each time.

A couple of the other classic, rare games I have and enjoy are Supremacy and its sister game Rollout - both now out of print and hard to come by (at least cheaply). Have most expansions for Supremacy but the ones I am missing are outrageously priced now - amazing that a few plastic pieces, the box and instruction sheet now run several hundred dollars. Another one I had and regret selling was a first edition Cosmic Encounter. Played the heck out of that in college, then had to sell it and a few other games when I was in a tight spot a few years back. I can at least get a newer edition of that at a decent price when I am ready, not so sure about the expansion sets I had though.
Yeah, Forbbiden Island and Desert are a lot of fun too, and perfect for kids or for something smoother and easier between two huge games. I still haven't tried Forbidden Sky though.

I've heard of Supremacy, but that's about it. Sounds kinda like RISK. I'm just glad that most of the games are owned by a friend of mine, that way I don't have to pay too much laugh We do share the costs of games that we solely play together, like Gloomhaven and Time Stories, but otherwise, they're all his.
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
FightingMegaFoo
Posted on 11 January 19 at 21:39
The Von Coin logo looks like it belongs in a Bioshock game.
Genius Redneck
Posted on 11 January 19 at 22:05
Do only XB1 achievements count? I've gotten a Windows achievement and several 360 achievements and none are on my list, just the ones from XB1 games.
Redd Five
Redd Five
Posted on 11 January 19 at 22:33
I registered when the last story came out, but never heard anything. I just re-registered and the popup said I'd get an email in November, so I guess it hasn't been updated.
dlCHIEF58
dlCHIEF58
Posted on 11 January 19 at 22:37
Shinnizle said:
dlCHIEF58 said:

Yeah, Forbbiden Island and Desert are a lot of fun too, and perfect for kids or for something smoother and easier between two huge games. I still haven't tried Forbidden Sky though.

I've heard of Supremacy, but that's about it. Sounds kinda like RISK. I'm just glad that most of the games are owned by a friend of mine, that way I don't have to pay too much laugh We do share the costs of games that we solely play together, like Gloomhaven and Time Stories, but otherwise, they're all his.
Supremacy is like Risk, but with navies, nuclear bombs and a stock market. Expansions added more resources, tanks, neutron bombs and a huge game board (about 5’ by 5’).
Tropan
Tropan
Posted on 11 January 19 at 22:46
Genius Redneck said:
Do only XB1 achievements count? I've gotten a Windows achievement and several 360 achievements and none are on my list, just the ones from XB1 games.
Yep, just XB1 achievements
zDrUnKeNMoNkEyz
Posted on 12 January 19 at 00:14
Tropan said:
zDrUnKeNMoNkEyz said:
They are working on a mobile app, no worries!
I mean I would assume they are, that would be odd if they weren't. But they should've released in beta with the Xbox app to work out kinks. Not OpenTable up the program and then down the road add an app. I dunno, I just think it was a hugely missed opportunity to have the app from the get go. I have no interest of sitting in an app literally doing nothing staring at the auction. It would've been acceptable years ago, just seems beyond outdated to come out, even in beta without a companion app or at least another way to access it, so your not tied to the Xbox.
Matthew
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 12 January 19 at 00:56
dlCHIEF58 said:
Supremacy is like Risk, but with navies, nuclear bombs and a stock market. Expansions added more resources, tanks, neutron bombs and a huge game board (about 5’ by 5’).
There is something very appealing about a huge board smile
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
iMaginaryy
iMaginaryy
Posted on 12 January 19 at 07:13
What exactly are the middle and right images? Art prints? They're quite cool and pretty well done. Cheers.
Fear is the mindkiller.
MC PHILABUSTA
MC PHILABUSTA
Posted on 12 January 19 at 11:15
Signed up first day never received any emails ???
Tropan
Tropan
Posted on 12 January 19 at 16:35
iMaginaryy said:
What exactly are the middle and right images? Art prints? They're quite cool and pretty well done. Cheers.
Middle image is an art print from Kloodwig called Facetime, inspired by Cyberpunk 2077.

Oscar LLorens created the other art print, called Big Bang!. Obviously Xbox inspired. I really recommend checking out both of them, they have some fantastic stuff!

MC PHILABUSTA said:
Signed up first day never received any emails ???
Check spam folder, that's where mine was.
acedawg4
acedawg4
Posted on 12 January 19 at 17:21
Are BC games being counted?
planting42
planting42
Posted on 12 January 19 at 19:48
acedawg4 said:
Are BC games being counted?
X1 games only.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.