Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Dark Souls Trilogy Compilation Coming To Europe

• ComboChristComboChrist714,441
    Posted on 20 January 19 at 00:00Permalink
    Lord Von Chimp said:
    WIsh I had that kind of money, I want that statue! Can't pay £450 though
    Get F4F or Gecco then and not some cheap, overpriced CE-garbage.
  • L33T SONICL33T SONIC974,822
    Posted on 20 January 19 at 04:24Permalink
    TheGreatKoala said:
    2 and 3 are brilliant games. 1 starts off superbly but after the undead burg it is one crap area after another.
    How can you say that? The first dark souls is still the best one.
    Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.
  • Posted on 20 January 19 at 07:12Permalink
    So please don't tear me to pieces..I've never played the dark souls series. My question is, apart from their difficulty, what else is there? I never hear anything with regards to story, characters, music, really anything outside of just the difficulty. Which is fine. I get it, if that's its thing. But I'd be pleasantly surprised to hear if they do in fact have solid stories, character development etc. Any insight would be greatly appreciated guys! Thanks as always! toast
    Matthew
  • Posted on 20 January 19 at 07:35Permalink
    zDrUnKeNMoNkEyz said:
    So please don't tear me to pieces..I've never played the dark souls series. My question is, apart from their difficulty, what else is there? I never hear anything with regards to story, characters, music, really anything outside of just the difficulty. Which is fine. I get it, if that's its thing. But I'd be pleasantly surprised to hear if they do in fact have solid stories, character development etc. Any insight would be greatly appreciated guys! Thanks as always! toast
    Specifically talking about Dark Souls 1 here:

The story is fairly soft-spoken. Piecing together what's what about the world around you takes lore, which is acquired a few different ways. Some stuff is alluded to, other bits are left open to interpretation. But the story of you is fairly basic, synopsis-wise. You're a random Undead, a cursed human in a dying land. You go from there. Heavily relies on show-don't-tell, which I think creates a greater presentation.

The characters are pretty great. Nobody's ever that robustly fleshed out but they're all really sort of endearing in their own ways, whether treacherous or boisterous.

Music is great. Every track brings something to the table, and with what the music is for, tracks WILL stand out in your mind. The music in Dark Souls isn't used lightly; you have music for bosses and a few select areas. That's it. When music is playing, it's because they want it to be.

And to the difficulty, I'd say it's not so much difficult for difficulty's sake as a steep learning curve. You're punished for mistakes, but it's not supposed to be cheating you out of survival so much as teaching you how to survive. When I started out, I actually had to set it down. Twice. But on the third time, I actually gave it an honest run through. Many playthroughs and game iterations later, I've easily summit'd that curve. Every encounter, every death, you learn a little more. Failure is intentionally instructive. Now, Dark Souls is the game I play when I want to relax and not have to think too hard. Because if you can *get* what it's asking of you, it's no longer that hard. It doesn't end up clicking quite so smoothly for everyone though.

I'd say the game has definitely earned its spot in history.
    I work on achievements. Life sanity tip: don't work on achievements.
  • GRAND NOBLEGRAND NOBLE312,972
    Posted on 20 January 19 at 08:30, Edited on 20 January 19 at 08:34 by GRAND NOBLEPermalink
    To add to the above
    "I'd say it's not so much difficult for difficulty's sake as a steep learning curve. You're punished for mistakes"
    This is what makes Dark Souls so great. it's not just the 'difficulty' it's the REWARD you feel for mastering something. There are NO areas in DS that you can '"BRUTE FORCE" your way through.

You just can't. You have to learn. You HAVE to learn. Beating area after area where even random enemies feel like boss fights is a learning experience. It's Rewarding. I've beaten many HARD games in my life. But that sense of REWARD is what only a FEW of those games have, that make the difficulty worth boasting about.

And why so many DS players want to SHARE DS with others. We want YOU to have the same feeling of accomplishment we did. It's really a strange thing.

EDIT:: Oh and the story is actually pretty great. But it's hard to get to, and honestly I think most of us (who dug enough) learned more from youtube than the game directly.. Which i think is a flaw. But those of us who got so into the actual gamePLAY and wanted more... we went digging and found it. The story is NOT openly presented and that turns people off. But it's there and it's fascinating. If you have a few hours to 'research'...
    Leap Frog 2017 - 4x 6.4+ Ratio!! (Croaked on Day 29) -- www.instagram.com/grandnoble
  • Posted on 20 January 19 at 09:42Permalink
    zDrUnKeNMoNkEyz said:
    The series has some of deepest lore and world design I've ever seen in any game series, ever. The problem for most people is that NONE of it is laid out for you. You have to dig. Deep, if you want to really appreciate the universe you are trekking through. Tons of people say there is no story, or that they shouldn't have to read through items and stuff to discover it. I feel like that's part of the beauty, connecting everything together and seeing how every little thing connects to each other, and how simple things in the environment that you pass by is actually a huge part some story in the game that you won't even notice unless you're paying attention.

There are multiple huge channels based on just lorebuilding in the series. Check out https://www.youtube.com/user/VaatiVidya
  • Posted on 20 January 19 at 11:48Permalink
    I’d be so happy is this is stackable. One can wish lol
    Banana Big Boys
  • MugenKairoMugenKairo252,572
    Posted on 20 January 19 at 12:01Permalink
    Loved DSIII as my favourite in the trilogy. I probably won’t get this unless it’s a separate achievement list.
    'Life begins beyond the edge of your comfort zone'
  • Posted on 20 January 19 at 13:01Permalink
    450 haha piss off
    One does not simply stop playing xbox
  • JanenzkiJanenzki533,392
    Posted on 20 January 19 at 23:34Permalink
    Time to save same money for that collector’s edition !
    "The birth of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame"
  • Posted on 21 January 19 at 11:27Permalink
    I'm surprised there's no "we're milking the franchise" edition, gamers would be all over that like flies on shit laugh
    What's a twip? something a wabbit is on when he wides on a twain - Elmer Fudd.
  • Posted on 21 January 19 at 20:28Permalink
    Our Afflictions said:
    zDrUnKeNMoNkEyz said:
    The series has some of deepest lore and world design I've ever seen in any game series, ever. The problem for most people is that NONE of it is laid out for you. You have to dig. Deep, if you want to really appreciate the universe you are trekking through. Tons of people say there is no story, or that they shouldn't have to read through items and stuff to discover it. I feel like that's part of the beauty, connecting everything together and seeing how every little thing connects to each other, and how simple things in the environment that you pass by is actually a huge part some story in the game that you won't even notice unless you're paying attention.

There are multiple huge channels based on just lorebuilding in the series. Check out https://www.youtube.com/user/VaatiVidya
    Thanks for all the info guys! Ill definitely give this a shot now! toast
    Matthew
  • Posted on 22 January 19 at 00:52Permalink
    zDrUnKeNMoNkEyz said:
    Our Afflictions said:
    zDrUnKeNMoNkEyz said:

Thanks for all the info guys! Ill definitely give this a shot now! toast
    Hope you enjoy! The games get more approachable the later they get, so 3>2>1 in terms of new player friendliness, but all of them are worth exploring
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.