Game Discussion: Shadow of the Tomb Raider Forum

I installed Nightmare DLC, now I would like to play it

AuthorMessage
Lt Davo
Lt Davo
Posted on 22 January 19 at 15:50
I've installed the DLC. I have the new axe and outfit in my inventory and can equip them. I know I'm supposed to be able to go to the Skull Cave base camp in the Hidden City and speak with Jonah and Uchu to begin the mission, but I can't. Neither of them have mission giver icons over their head. My Hidden City side missions show 11/11, meaning there aren't any uncompleted ones. When I tab to Side Missions in the journal, Forge and Pillar are there, but Nightmare isn't. In the main menu the challenge tomb has a shopping cart icon and I can't play it. I've tried quitting, uninstalling the DLC, reinstalling it. No dice. Anyone know what I'm missing?
#12 on TA's site leaderboard, Gamer by Completion Percentage (All DLC packs) ... when I'm not working on a game.
MrBrown1602
Posted on 22 January 19 at 19:58
Same problem on PS4...
MrBrown1602
Posted on 22 January 19 at 20:38
Solved mine: it wasn't properly installed. Went to library and installed the missing bits
Lt Davo
Lt Davo
Posted on 22 January 19 at 22:17
Can someone who's gotten it to work tell me what they have installed? I have:
- Howl of the Monkey Gods - this is called "The Nightmare Add-on" in the store
- Griff of Fear
- Scales of Q

Also, I am attempting this after beating the game. Is that the problem? I have done the two previous DLCs that way. I could start another game, but it will take awhile to unlock the Skull Cave, so I'd rather not mess with that if that isn't the issue. Seems like I'd be able to play the tomb from the Challenge Tombs menu regardless of my story progression, but I can't.
#12 on TA's site leaderboard, Gamer by Completion Percentage (All DLC packs) ... when I'm not working on a game.
dr paulb
dr paulb
Posted on 23 January 19 at 17:57
I could get the challenge from Jonah, after getting to the cave and sitting at the fire and getting up again.
MrBrown1602
Posted on 23 January 19 at 19:42, Edited on 23 January 19 at 19:45 by MrBrown1602
Just in case it may help you: every time I went into the store from the SotTR menu, it said "installed". But when I went into the store from the home screen and searched for SotTR related stuff it just said "bought/you own this" (not sure about the actual terminus) and I had still to install the nightmare DLC. (I installed, what in retrospect appeared to be, the Griff of Fear in the morning and reckoned it was the Nightmare DLC and all I had to do is wait until it would be unlocked for playing)
Lt Davo
Lt Davo
Posted on 23 January 19 at 20:37
All three of them show for me as installed in the SoTR store, the Xbox store, and in "Manage Game and Add-Ons," although, as stated above, what is called "The Nightmare Add-On" in the store is listed as "Howl of the Monkey Gods" in "Manage Game and Add-Ons." I've uninstalled and reinstalled them several times. Can anyone confirm that they have accessed the Nightmare side mission after beating the game?
Jennitiger1138
Posted on 24 January 19 at 21:33
@Lt Davo, yes I have completed the game and installed Nighmtmare dlc and played it on that save file, had to go to Manage add ons to install it but once I had and loaded game I could pick up mission in game from Jonah, Howl of the monkey god is the actual tomb.
Lt Davo
Lt Davo
Posted on 25 January 19 at 14:41
Thank you, Jenn.

I continued my new game until I got to the Skull Cave. I didn't expect that to work, and it didn't.

Next, I deleted my save file. I expected that to work, but it didn't. When I booted up the game the next time, it had me adjust the brightness and gamma, then it thanked me for purchasing the Forge and the Pillar, but not the Nightmare. The monkey howl tomb still had a shopping cart icon.

I didn't see anything else to try next except to uninstall everything and reinstall. That had to work, right? Nope.

For totally random reasons, I was reading yesterday about NAT types, and the article said if you're having NAT trouble, you should change your console's power setting from "Instant On" to "Energy Saving." I said "nothing to lose from trying it" and did that. Tomb Raider then thanked me for purchasing The Nightmare DLC, and I can access the monkey howl challenge tomb. facepalmdanceheadspin
Jennitiger1138
Posted on 25 January 19 at 22:49
Pretty random to be sure, good that you can now actually play it. Trouble with these dlc's is that they are a prime case of its actually better to wait til they are all out and bust through them in one go as they are so short, almost wish I hadn't started the game til they are all out as at least the extra xp could have gone to some use had I not have completed the game and have no use for it.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.