Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Restless Dreams: The Important Past and Uncertain Future of Silent Hill

AuthorMessage
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 31 January 19 at 18:10
You promised you would take me there again someday

Please click here to read the story: Restless Dreams: The Important Past and Uncertain Future of Silent Hill
Mr Whiteshirt
Mr Whiteshirt
Posted on 31 January 19 at 18:20
I am glad to see the survival horror genre coming back, Resident Evil 7 was amazing, and Resident Evil 2 is just mind blowingly great. Konami need to get off their chairs and remake some of their old games. There is clearly a market for this genre once again.
The Noto
The Noto
Posted on 31 January 19 at 18:22
Man, I would kill for Silent Hill to be remastered. I don't really want a remake. I'd like one more akin to Resident Evil RE than the new Resident Evil 2 (not that anything is wrong with that game).
ChewieOnIce
ChewieOnIce
Posted on 31 January 19 at 18:29
I wholeheartedly concur. Playing the original Silent Hill many times as a youngun was such a defining experience for me. I remember not only the hours sunk into the game but also voraciously reading online about theories and interpretations of its story and themes, and seeking out its influences in the worlds of TV, film and music. It was my gateway into Twin Peaks and Lynch, and things like Jacob’s Ladder. I’d love to revisit that world with a good remake done right.
@ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
Death and Glory
Death and Glory
Posted on 31 January 19 at 18:37
Silent Hill is definitely one of my all time favorite series. It's a shame Konami doesn't realize what they have. I remember playing the first Silent Hill and just becoming fixated with the graphic nature and detail put into it. When Silent Hill 2 came along, I knew this was my kind of horror game. To this day, I haven't found another game that gave me the same sort of feeling when playing through it.

I have strong doubts that a remake of SH would be good, unless Konami gave it to a competent Dev who fully understands the concept of it.
EazyE2285
EazyE2285
Posted on 31 January 19 at 18:53
I swear I remember seeing something recently saying someone completely remade the Silent Hills demo for VR. I'd rather buy and play that (even though it might be free) than buy a PS4 (I already own one) with the demo
drewby05
drewby05
Posted on 31 January 19 at 19:24
This was the game that got me here, really. A friend let me borrow a PS1 to chill for the weekend while I was an undergrad. I, too, rented this game (from a Blockbuster), but I was hooked at the inevitable beginning death nightmare. I immediately bought a system and, well, here I am. I would LOVE a remastered, original Silent Hill game! And for the record, I do have a PS4 with PT on it; it was heartbreaking when Silent Hills was shut down.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 31 January 19 at 19:25
EazyE2285 said:
I swear I remember seeing something recently saying someone completely remade the Silent Hills demo for VR. I'd rather buy and play that (even though it might be free) than buy a PS4 (I already own one) with the demo
That was made in Dreams, the upcoming Media Molecule "game" for PS4 that is more like a game engine. It's their evolution of LittleBigPlanet, basically. It looks like very exciting tech and my son and I are excited to use it.
MVPVincent
MVPVincent
Posted on 31 January 19 at 21:04
If only a competent publisher had this franchise, perhaps we'd have a new game coming out this year or just anything to celebrate the occasion.
I am a man of few words, but many riddles.
thunderkiss92
thunderkiss92
Posted on 31 January 19 at 21:23
I really hope to see Konami start caring about their franchises again. Not just Silent Hill (which would be mind-blowingly amazing all by itself), but Castlevania, as well. I don't want a mobile Castlevania, and I'm fairly certain most Castlevania fans would agree with that statement. I'll play Bloodstained and probably love it, but I miss Castlevania.

"...Konami, apparently risk-averse and barely interested in making games anymore..."

Seems so true but almost makes no sense. There are tons of fans behind SH and Castlevania. Maybe not COD levels of money to be made, but definitely people that would pay to get to be in these worlds once again. But more than the risks, I think they've just lost their drive and passion to create anything more than easy money. And it sucks.
HuwCW87
HuwCW87
Posted on 31 January 19 at 21:39
Mr Whiteshirt said:
I am glad to see the survival horror genre coming back, Resident Evil 7 was amazing, and Resident Evil 2 is just mind blowingly great. Konami need to get off their chairs and remake some of their old games. There is clearly a market for this genre once again.
I thought resident evil 7 was poo, bored me to tears and although we have resident evil 2 I don't really think survival horror is making a comeback, we are just flooded with shitty first person horrors where the scariest thing they can come up with is shitty jumpscares or taking away your ability to fight back.
EazyE2285
EazyE2285
Posted on 31 January 19 at 22:00
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
That was made in Dreams, the upcoming Media Molecule "game" for PS4 that is more like a game engine. It's their evolution of LittleBigPlanet, basically. It looks like very exciting tech and my son and I are excited to use it.
Well color me excited for the first time for something VR cause it looked awesome
Death and Glory
Death and Glory
Posted on 31 January 19 at 22:08
EazyE2285 said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
That was made in Dreams, the upcoming Media Molecule {#}game{#} for PS4 that is more like a game engine. It's their evolution of LittleBigPlanet, basically. It looks like very exciting tech and my son and I are excited to use it.
Well color me excited for the first time for something VR cause it looked awesome
I think the game he was referring to was Unreal PT. A complete recreation of P.T. in the Unreal engine.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 31 January 19 at 23:37
Death and Glory said:
EazyE2285 said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
I think the game he was referring to was Unreal PT. A complete recreation of P.T. in the Unreal engine.
Ah, yes. There’s that too. Dreams has been shown recreating lots of stuff though, including Dead Space. Really cool stuff.
TheTailsEffect
Posted on 31 January 19 at 23:42
HuwCW87 said:
Mr Whiteshirt said:
I thought resident evil 7 was poo, bored me to tears and although we have resident evil 2 I don't really think survival horror is making a comeback, we are just flooded with shitty first person horrors where the scariest thing they can come up with is shitty jumpscares or taking away your ability to fight back.
I would lean more towards a compromise, whilst 7 has very little in common with the earlier games in the series it is a far cry from the shit show that was 6, and the all-action-no-horror romp that was 5.

So, perhaps not a return.. YET, but a sign that Capcom is listening to its fans, and trying its best to return to its roots.
x Mataeus x
x Mataeus x
Posted on 31 January 19 at 23:45
I love Silent Hill. Those first four games were masterpieces. Really were.
https://www.exophase.com/user/Mataeus
upsonmatthew
upsonmatthew
Posted on 01 February 19 at 04:12
Silent Hill doesn't really have a future. At some point in the future Konami is going to completely pull out of the video games business (they aren't far from it now). They don't really need it to survive. It's possible they might sell some of there IPs but will more likely just sit on them forever.
JakThaRiPP3R84
Posted on 01 February 19 at 04:49
I played the original silent hill way back but it was a demo that came with metal gear solid. I could never beat the piano puzzle in the school, the game came out but was put back in the uk for a year or more, certain things were changed because of the dunblane school massacre, and in the game you shot what looked like kids in a school so, kinda went without saying, but I managed to get a US version that I saw completely by chance at a outdoor market, cost me a fiver lol and it was a legit disk. had to chip the playstation but got there in the end!

best game i'd ever played, resident evil was chilled in comparison, and the fully rendered enviroments were great for it's time. i was 13 by the time i got to play it. played it for over a year, then when SH2 came out with ps2 basically at launch, I was in heaven !
zDrUnKeNMoNkEyz
Posted on 01 February 19 at 05:15
Death and Glory said:
EazyE2285 said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
That was made in Dreams, the upcoming Media Molecule {#}game{#} for PS4 that is more like a game engine. It's their evolution of LittleBigPlanet, basically. It looks like very exciting tech and my son and I are excited to use it.
That's what I Was thinking. I was so confused 😂
Matthew
YouCantSaveHer
Posted on 01 February 19 at 09:11
I wouldve rather a silent hill more than any re. But thats just me. Silent hill 2 was fantastic for me growing up. I still play 1 a couple times a year on the old ps1
Obtained the shadows rushed me.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.