TA Playlist Forum

Messageboard for all things TA Playlist

OXENFREE Discussion - Spoilers

AuthorMessage
BetaSigX20
BetaSigX20
Posted on 07 February 19 at 19:37, Edited on 07 February 19 at 19:41 by BetaSigX20
HawkeyeBarry20 said:
Dragonborn Gear said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
Skanker irl said:
I love that there was an ARG tied to the game. They hunted for an object in real life. Stuff like that interests me.

Great game. Somewhat simple, but lots of hidden things to find.
Yes! I love ARGs and keep meaning to write about them but I haven’t yet been able to dedicate the research time.
I shall forever hate acronyms.... On an unrelated note, I have never heard of "ARG".
Adamantium
Raging
Ghost
I tried, but I couldn't come up with any clever or funny answers.. Awkward Racing Giraffe, maybe? :)

ARG in this case is Augmented (or Alternate, depending on who you listen to) Reality Game. Basically, if you took the numbers from each of the radio frequencies you used to listen at the stones and put them in order, that would give you a phone number, which dialed in to a recorded message that told you to listen to one of the songs from the soundtrack, which had some Morse code that gave another clue, which led to another clue, etc., etc., eventually leading to an actual hidden item on an island in Washington state.

The full description is on the Oxenfree Wikia page.
Angel R1der
Angel R1der
Posted on 07 February 19 at 20:09
Wow, was a really good game, would not have played it, if not on ta playlist and all the posts saying how good it was. Loved how each playthrough added something from the previous playthrough, and how Major Nelson kept popping in my mirror, found it weird at first, then cool. But the silent playthrough had my finger itching to press xyb.
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 07 February 19 at 22:48
BetaSigX20 said:
HawkeyeBarry20 said:
Dragonborn Gear said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
Skanker irl said:
I love that there was an ARG tied to the game. They hunted for an object in real life. Stuff like that interests me.

Yes! I love ARGs and keep meaning to write about them but I haven’t yet been able to dedicate the research time.
I shall forever hate acronyms.... On an unrelated note, I have never heard of {#}ARG{#}.
Adamantium
Raging
Ghost
I tried, but I couldn't come up with any clever or funny answers.. Awkward Racing Giraffe, maybe? :)

ARG in this case is Augmented (or Alternate, depending on who you listen to) Reality Game. Basically, if you took the numbers from each of the radio frequencies you used to listen at the stones and put them in order, that would give you a phone number, which dialed in to a recorded message that told you to listen to one of the songs from the soundtrack, which had some Morse code that gave another clue, which led to another clue, etc., etc., eventually leading to an actual hidden item on an island in Washington state.

That is absolutely wild. It’s a little confusing but awesome. Honestly like a real life adventure.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 07 February 19 at 23:43
Valve also had one to promote the release of Portal 2.
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
Dragonborn Gear
Posted on 08 February 19 at 03:07
That's great. I guess I didn't read too much into the game to realize this nor did I realize this was a real trend. I do think this sort of thing is very interesting. If I were a YouTuber/Streamer, I would definitely try to do something like this on top of whatever I did for fun to see who could glean what based on small hints/clues etc. FUN.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 08 February 19 at 06:08
BetaSigX20 said:
HawkeyeBarry20 said:
Dragonborn Gear said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
Skanker irl said:

I shall forever hate acronyms.... On an unrelated note, I have never heard of "ARG".
Adamantium
Raging
Ghost

That's right. When someone has never played in or heard of an ARG, I describe it as a scavenger hunt born online which imagines we are in the story universe of the involved property. LOST had a really fun one back in the day, and for my money, I don't know if anyone has ever done it better than Cloverfield.
Dresden N7
Dresden N7
Posted on 08 February 19 at 13:33, Edited on 08 February 19 at 13:51 by Dresden N7
GRAND NOBLE said:
This game was actually kind of creepy, if you've played, you know the part(s) i'm talking about laugh.

It was an absolute thrill the 1st playthrough. AND HOW SEEMLESSLY (AND EERILY) IT MOVES INTO A 2ND PLAYTHROUGH!!! is just genius and amazing, and gives me chills up my spine.
The loop starting over during the ending is one of my top video game moments. So low-key but disturbing and well done at the same time.

ChewieOnIce said:
StK I said:
Good game, glad to finally have it 100%. What makes the scene where you see Alex, Jonas, and Ren in the parking lot after completing the game occur? I don't remember seeing it on my second playthrough, but I stopped that Alex from going to the island, which was kinda cool. I'm overall not a huge fan of time travel/loops so I didn't love the ending but as a whole package, great game, great atmosphere and totally worth at least 2 playthroughs
I believe you have to basically play the game twice using the Continue Timeline option so the second run through is the self-aware, time loop, streamlined version. Then at some point at the end of that play through you’re put into the car park where you can choose to allow them to go to the island (creating another loop in a subsequent playthrough) or choose not to go, breaking the loop and stopping everything that happened from happening at all. I could be wrong though.
This was my take as well.

However, there are two ways to interpret the Escape Ending. The first one is what you said: they break the loop and avert the events of the game. The second and more depressing interpretation is that NG+ Alex creates a new timeline/reality where the Alex there is saved from the time loop. However, the NG+ Alex we're playing as is still trapped in the loop.
punkyliar
punkyliar
Posted on 10 February 19 at 00:11
ChewieOnIce said:
StK I said:
Good game, glad to finally have it 100%. What makes the scene where you see Alex, Jonas, and Ren in the parking lot after completing the game occur? I don't remember seeing it on my second playthrough, but I stopped that Alex from going to the island, which was kinda cool. I'm overall not a huge fan of time travel/loops so I didn't love the ending but as a whole package, great game, great atmosphere and totally worth at least 2 playthroughs
I believe you have to basically play the game twice using the Continue Timeline option so the second run through is the self-aware, time loop, streamlined version. Then at some point at the end of that play through you’re put into the car park where you can choose to allow them to go to the island (creating another loop in a subsequent playthrough) or choose not to go, breaking the loop and stopping everything that happened from happening at all. I could be wrong though.
You do have to play through the game twice, the second time in the Continue Timeline mode (the equivalent of New Game +), to get the scene, but you'll go back to the island repeatedly unless you complete a single action before that. You can't make that choice in the car park without that action.

After Alex and Jonas have entered the bunker near the end of the second playthrough, time loops and old radio equipment appears. You need to interact with the Radio and choose specific dialogue options to leave Alex a message on the radio. They are:

-- We can warn another version of ourselves
-- Maybe we can still help
-- Alex, don't come to the island

Then in the car park after the photo summary, Alex will tune into the radio station. Music will play for a few seconds before that message is played out. This opens new dialogue options to choose not to go to the island that aren't available otherwise.

I'm about to start a fourth playthrough, even though I now have all of the achievements. I want to get the very best ending and then close the time loop. I ironically came the closest to this with my silent playthrough by not saying a word and saving all six characters in the process laugh
ChewieOnIce
ChewieOnIce
Posted on 10 February 19 at 18:19
^^ If you’re going for a fourth playthrough in quick succession when others here mostly suggest the third is a drag I’m guessing you liked it then? wink
@ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
punkyliar
punkyliar
Posted on 11 February 19 at 00:11, Edited on 11 February 19 at 00:21 by punkyliar
ChewieOnIce said:
^^ If you’re going for a fourth playthrough in quick succession when others here mostly suggest the third is a drag I’m guessing you liked it then? wink
The first was fun. The second was ok with the New Game+ changes, which made it more interesting than it could have been. The third silent playthrough was definitely a drag, mainly because you had to stand there while everybody talked around you and you couldn't do anything about it. The problem is that because I was working towards specific achievements in every playthrough, none of them truly felt like my playthrough if that made sense? So I did a fourth playthrough where it was purely my choices and to see what ending I got.

Also, I'm pretty certain it would be possible to get all achievements in two playthroughs. The first is the nice playthrough where you get Ren and Nona to date (Matchmaker) and be nice to Jonas, but send Michael away so Jonas becomes your step brother (New Beginnings).

The second silent playthrough (The Strong, Silent Type) would prevent Ren and Nona from dating (You'd Just End Up Hating Each Other.), save Michael (Thicker than Water), and annoy all your friends. By closing the gate at the end with the radio instead of leaving or talking to the ghosts, you also save Clarissa. This would mean the I'm the Firestarter achievement should also pop.

Unfortunately I don't hate myself enough to run straight into another two playthroughs on a dummy account to test out this theory, but it's there if somebody else wants to give it a go.
SpeleoFool
SpeleoFool
Posted on 11 February 19 at 04:31
I did the silent run as #3, and I closed the gap with the radio at the end mostly because I just wanted that run over with ASAP. Somehow I still ended up bonding with Jonas, despite being the most uninteresting, standoffish sister-in-law ever. Seems like that would void Firestarter?

Main differences between my silent run and the Firestarter solution are: I didn’t blame Jonas for anything, and Jonas volunteered to join me after the tower argument with REN.
RiBoP
RiBoP
Posted on 11 February 19 at 08:48
My first participation in a TA Playlist event, and surely a game which I probably wouldn't have started anytime in the near future if it weren't for the event. But I just finished my first (friendly) playthrough and liked it very much!

Looking forward to the 2nd playthrough and will probably do the 3rd playthrough with some netflixin' on the side wink

PS: I did encounter a "lag" in the unlocking of the achievements: has anyone experienced the same problem?

Both achievements for the slapping of Ren and the mega-jump were unlocked at a random time during Friday night (when I wasn't even gaming) although I played the game on Thursday night only.

OXENFREERenjamin SpanklinThe Renjamin Spanklin achievement in OXENFREE worth 68 pointsSlap Ren in the face.

OXENFREEIt's A MeThe It's A Me achievement in OXENFREE worth 22 pointsJump the crazy chasm in the woods.
punkyliar
punkyliar
Posted on 11 February 19 at 11:13
SpeleoFool said:
I did the silent run as #3, and I closed the gap with the radio at the end mostly because I just wanted that run over with ASAP. Somehow I still ended up bonding with Jonas, despite being the most uninteresting, standoffish sister-in-law ever. Seems like that would void Firestarter?

Main differences between my silent run and the Firestarter solution are: I didn’t blame Jonas for anything, and Jonas volunteered to join me after the tower argument with REN.
I'm almost certain I didn't bond with Jonas at all during that run, although I'm doubting myself now. Not sure what would have been different between our runs? I did cut off a lot of "voluntary" conversations (i.e. I got from one end of the location to the other as quickly as possible and then cut off the conversation in mid-stream if I could leave the location), so maybe the fact I didn't listen to a lot of stuff also helped?

RiBoP said:
PS: I did encounter a "lag" in the unlocking of the achievements: has anyone experienced the same problem?

Both achievements for the slapping of Ren and the mega-jump were unlocked at a random time during Friday night (when I wasn't even gaming) although I played the game on Thursday night only.
The only one for which I had a problem was collecting all of Maggie Adler's letters. I collected the last one and no pop. Checked the tracker and it was stuck at 92%. Finished the playthrough as there was nothing I could do at that point, only to find it had silently popped sometime between that point in Fort Milner and the end of my playthrough. I had my laptop on as well and didn't get notifications for it on either that or the console. I got all of the others.

Bearing in mind I have an achievement permanently stuck in Shift Quantum, I was just happy it popped at all.
RiBoP
RiBoP
Posted on 11 February 19 at 12:40
punkyliar said:
The only one for which I had a problem was collecting all of Maggie Adler's letters. I collected the last one and no pop. Checked the tracker and it was stuck at 92%. Finished the playthrough as there was nothing I could do at that point, only to find it had silently popped sometime between that point in Fort Milner and the end of my playthrough. I had my laptop on as well and didn't get notifications for it on either that or the console. I got all of the others.

Bearing in mind I have an achievement permanently stuck in Shift Quantum, I was just happy it popped at all.
Weird, I also checked the tracker as I previously had this problem with other games. But in those cases it always said something like "unlocking". Now I had no reason to believe they would still be unlocked. Kinda hesitated in completing the game, waited until yesterday evening, after both achievements had popped, to finish the 1st run laugh
ChewieOnIce
ChewieOnIce
Posted on 11 February 19 at 12:50
RiBoP said:
punkyliar said:

Weird, I also checked the tracker as I previously had this problem with other games. But in those cases it always said something like "unlocking". Now I had no reason to believe they would still be unlocked. Kinda hesitated in completing the game, waited until yesterday evening, after both achievements had popped, to finish the 1st run laugh
This might be more related to some recent and ongoing Live issues than the game specifically
@ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
ReprobateGamer
Posted on 11 February 19 at 13:01
I started this game on the silent runthrough figuring that that would give me chance to learn the layout and get an idea of the mechanics.
My 2nd run was the mean run for Firestarter and I'll be running the nice guy run this week. And honestly I'd recommend that way around, rather than the order in the achievement guide for "This House Is Clear"

From a story point of view, this order of play ties in very well with the 'Twilight Zone means Groundhog Day' vibe. The silent run was the point where our protagonist is beginning to realise that there is more to this than mets the eye (or the ear ...). The Firestarter run is the Act 2 hero at their lowest ebb and the 3rd run will be the hero on the way to victory (such as there is in this story).

it also means that I can power through the first two runs as it's the happy run I'll go for letters and anomalies which helps a little with the repetition. Of course, the repeating is kinda the point though this didn't really click until I came to the second runthrough and saw the start option was now 'continue timeline'. I'd heard comments in the first about having done this before but just presumed that was some narrative fluff but actually seeing that, then the extra little snippets and changes really drive home that this is a time loop scenario than a bit of time travel

That I've been able to bring Michael back from the dead both times already means that it's going to be a little bittersweet as I need Jonas as the step-brother this time around. In the silent run, I saved Clarissa by tuning the radio at the end and for the mean run, I just abandoned her and took the gate. So for the nice guy, I'm going to try talking to the ghosts at the end.

However, as I think I can see how the loop can be broken, I doubt that I will see any 'final' ending on this third run as I can't save everyone. I'm not planning on a fourth run unless they build on the changes again and I can't see that happening - the non-chosen dialogue is already beginning to work a little too hard.

the instances when you see another player in the mirror also confused me the first time I saw it - enough that I restarted my silent run about an hour in as I feared I'd hit a button without realising it
New videos on the youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEIKVa8aVy9Wub5y1b__z6w
GRAND NOBLE
GRAND NOBLE
Posted on 11 February 19 at 18:23
TDK Skin Walker said:
I actually liked playing the game 3 times. Didn't find the 3rd playthrough boring at all.
If you don't mind sharing, what was your "order" of playthroughs?

Mine was silent, good, then "mean" in that order.

By the 3rd I was a bit tired of the story, I'd already done all the collectibles, so I was just running as fast as I could from conversation to conversation...

Also, I HATED doing the mean playthrough. I felt like such an asshole!!! angry
Leap Frog 2017 - 4x 6.4+ Ratio!! (Croaked on Day 29) -- www.instagram.com/grandnoble
GRAND NOBLE
GRAND NOBLE
Posted on 11 February 19 at 18:25
ChewieOnIce said:
For what it's worth, even though I (also) felt the 3rd was a drag.. i still technically enjoyed it. The differences in the story were just too SLIGHT to feel like being good or mean or silent really changed anything.

But every once in a while something would happen -or be said- that was different ENOUGH to pique my interest again.

Over all, this game was an absolutely thrill to play. The average person is not a 100% completionist, so they won't slug through so many playthroughs so quickly.

I imagine a very high % of players love this game because it's really great.
Leap Frog 2017 - 4x 6.4+ Ratio!! (Croaked on Day 29) -- www.instagram.com/grandnoble
SpeleoFool
SpeleoFool
Posted on 11 February 19 at 19:01
punkyliar said:
SpeleoFool said:

I'm almost certain I didn't bond with Jonas at all during that run, although I'm doubting myself now. Not sure what would have been different between our runs? I did cut off a lot of {#}voluntary{#} conversations (i.e. I got from one end of the location to the other as quickly as possible and then cut off the conversation in mid-stream if I could leave the location), so maybe the fact I didn't listen to a lot of stuff also helped?
That's the same thing I did on my run. I made a beeline for each exit and left as soon as the game allowed me to leave.

For the unskippable choice at the end I picked "stayed and went to school." Perhaps if I had gone to school out of state or left to do my own thing then I wouldn't have stuck around and "bonded" with Jonas? The epilogue talked about how we hung out once in a while and I still referred to him as "my brother" even though Michael survived, then the pie chart said we bonded.

Other than that, I don't see that there was much room to do anything different during the playthrough. I didn't click on more than one or two optional environment objects, and none of those seemed like they would have influenced my relationship with Jonas. I did not let Jonas talk to his Mom at the end, even though I doubt that using the last tape machine would have voided Strong Silent Type. And I used the radio to close the gap at the end instead of leaving through the door.
Xaledin
Xaledin
Posted on 12 February 19 at 00:03
Jujii8 said:
I really enjoyed it on my first playthrough, but like everyone else, each subsequent playthrough become more and more dull. The voice acting was stellar, and the story was decently interesting.

I agree with this.
Life imitates art.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.