Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Will Apex Legends and Anthem Improve EA's Financial Outlook?

AuthorMessage
punkyliar
punkyliar
Posted on 07 February 19 at 16:52
Company suffers a difficult quarter

Please click here to read the story: Will Apex Legends and Anthem Improve EA's Financial Outlook?
CracklyKlover
CracklyKlover
Posted on 07 February 19 at 16:56
who tf cares?
TheGreatKoala
TheGreatKoala
Posted on 07 February 19 at 16:57
It isn't entirely surprising that they had a slump, FIFA 19 changed too much from 18, the madden games are getting progressively worse and Battlefield has always been a poor man's CoD. Apex will have helped them but ultimately they have seen better days.
YODA12320
YODA12320
Posted on 07 February 19 at 16:59
CracklyKlover said:
who tf cares?
Obviously you don't so why did you comment ? It's an interesting thing to myself and others, how a company can be successful yet utter clueless on its clients at the same time...
Regards;Yoda12320
A1yx Vance
A1yx Vance
Posted on 07 February 19 at 17:05, Edited on 07 February 19 at 17:06 by A1yx Vance
Anthem just comes across to me as a "Oh Destiny has been poplular so we need to do somthing like that."

"Oh I know lets get Bioware to do a new game like that as they are a well know and trusted branch of us."

"Arnt they working on Mass Effect Andromeda though?"

"Yeah but screw that and pull them off that, this will make us a load more money!"

Anthem just brings nothing new, i'm normaly excited about Bioware games but have no intrest in this at all.
SheBeatsYou
SheBeatsYou
Posted on 07 February 19 at 17:16
Battlefield V Sold atleast 7.1 million copies last I read. Dunno how but It did. Anywhere else that would be consideted a success and a win. If only EA could see that they dont need all these money grabbing schemes to be successful then theyd be fine. Oh wait that doesnt please their "investors" nevermind....

Fuck EA...
Shel2theburne
Shel2theburne
Posted on 07 February 19 at 17:37
I think Apex is amazing and is super refreshing from my time with Fortnite and Black Ops 4. My friends and I think this will be the next game we stick to for a good year. Black Ops didn't hold us very long. We were on Fortinte for a good year until season 5 or 6. But Apex has just been a ton of fun so far.

I tried Anthem and it seemed really cool and I could see it having an awesome story but it reminds to much of Destiny and that puts me off.
freedomgirl85
freedomgirl85
Posted on 07 February 19 at 18:08
improve outlook?

make Titanfall 3 with Titans

done
HuwCW87
HuwCW87
Posted on 07 February 19 at 18:11
Im really hyped for anthem and im enjoying apex but I wouldnt be opposed to EA going bust and bioware being snapped up by microsoft aslong it didnt affect their work on Anthem.
Doc Steve BruIe
Posted on 07 February 19 at 18:25
Anthem and Apex Legends can't save them. EA has been in trouble for awhile. Microsoft was eyed to buy EA last year. I have never understood how Battlefront is always a disaster. If you just reskinned Battlefield into the Star Wars Universe that game is so much better. Making Battlefield 5 more Call of Dutyish is the dumbest move ever. Battlefield is such an awesome franchise and the fact they cant figure out to make a battlefield set in Star Wars (just name it battlefront) and stick to its roots is just proof that the people making these games have no idea what they are doing.
Tanner Lascheid
BloodGodAlucard
BloodGodAlucard
Posted on 07 February 19 at 18:37
Nope. If they want to salvage their reputation, there are a few good moves they can make.

1. No more microtransactions ever. Period. Kill this fad in its crib. Just stick to the old DLC pricing scheme. Even season passes aren't as egregious as the current gaming landscape. Either that or make all your non single player games free to play.

2. More single player games. Have great companies like Bioware make games they know how to make. Story driven, offline games with no loot boxes or other bullshit.

3. Release remasters of old great games. Why this greedy company can't grasp the concept that there are people who will gladly play these old classics with better graphics and framerate, I'll never understand. It's one of the money grubbing schemes I'm actually glad to support.

Just to name a few: Dragon Age Origins, the Mass Effect Trilogy, and the Dead Space games would all be fantastic. Pull a Capcom and release these games in 4K with 60 FPS and rake in the cash.

4. Stop it with the sports games at E3. Just stop. Same with mobile trash. Just show real games. The people that buy that stuff will buy it annually anyway. No need to advertise it. They'll buy it just like kids with Call of Duty and fat people will always buy Oreos. Advertisement not needed.
Skanker irl
Skanker irl
Posted on 07 February 19 at 18:38
Will Apex Legends and Anthem Improve EA's Financial Outlook?

Only if the servers stay up laugh

In all seriousness, after being a big fan way back in the day, I have weened myself off EA games for years because like many others I hate their company. I am giving Apex Legends a shot (because it is free), but I doubt that alone will save them. When you have people making stupid decisions, and poor customer service, it is only a matter of time before things go south.
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 07 February 19 at 18:39
I think EA will be fine. Anthem will sell huge numbers and everyone seems to love Apex right now so as much as I don’t like a lot of what they do this seems to be a small term problem and not a long term.

If they really wanted to save themselves they could make a decent Star Wars game. Fans are dying for a good Star Wars movie or game that isn’t at least 15 years old. Except Rogue One, I did really like that movie.
NawtyCawty
NawtyCawty
Posted on 07 February 19 at 19:38
Wow a company wants to make money. Who’d have thunk it? And still the whiners keep on coming.
billbillbill
billbillbill
Posted on 07 February 19 at 19:48
To be fair, this isn't a 'EA is struggling to keep afloat!' deal.
Take-Two reported its worst earnings since 2009, and they'd just released Red Dead 2. Even Ubisoft and Square-Enix have had a tough time, despite some massive blockbusters.
Publishers are in a difficult position because it's the end of a generation so the market is beginning to stagnate - at least in terms of what is deemed 'New & Exciting!' - so investors are getting a little nervous. Add to this the runaway success of Fortnight, which is just exacerbating the whole deal, and it's an awkward start to the year for most everyone.

EA is broadly fine. They don't need Apex and Anthem to save them. They are going to relish the upswing two massive live-service games are going to bring, but they have enough additional blockbusters to tease and release over the coming year to restore confidence.
Kelle1994
Kelle1994
Posted on 07 February 19 at 20:10
They just need to remaster nfs underground 2.
Add a few new cars, great graphics... and they will sell a lot.

They could also fix the unobtainable achievement in nfs carbon to show some customer support laugh
jasonlc3221
jasonlc3221
Posted on 07 February 19 at 20:22, Edited on 07 February 19 at 20:25 by jasonlc3221
Doc Steve BruIe said:
Anthem and Apex Legends can't save them. EA has been in trouble for awhile. Microsoft was eyed to buy EA last year. I have never understood how Battlefront is always a disaster. If you just reskinned Battlefield into the Star Wars Universe that game is so much better. Making Battlefield 5 more Call of Dutyish is the dumbest move ever. Battlefield is such an awesome franchise and the fact they cant figure out to make a battlefield set in Star Wars (just name it battlefront) and stick to its roots is just proof that the people making these games have no idea what they are doing.
EA in trouble? Um, not really:

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=Q5FcXJYkjp_9B...

They may have had a rough year, but everyone that's on this bandwagon of wanting/hoping Anthem will fail so that EA will falter OBVIOUSLY doesn't have a clue about economics. I'm not saying you (Doc Steve BruIe), are on this bandwagon, I'm just speaking in general now.

I'm not a fan of EA these days either because of their handling of microtransactions, but they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. They would have to have SO MANY more games fail before all their shareholders start pulling out, causing the value of their company to be in serious danger. Yes, their stock has droped A LOT in the last 6 months, but I think Mr. Andrew Wilson just explained that. Their stock value would have to plummet into the teens before the company was truly in DIRE EMERGENCY mode.

And as far as Anthem goes, I'm not rooting for it's failure. I actually quite enjoyed the demo. Yes, they need to fix some of the performance issues and glitches, but all-in-all, it was fun. If anything, this game will serve as a reason for other developers and publishers to create an experience better than Anthem. A world without EA means one less competitor, and less competition means less innovation.
MVPVincent
MVPVincent
Posted on 07 February 19 at 20:37
Honestly, I'm not surprised that EA said something like this.

In the AAA industry, almost everything seems to be 'below expectations', no matter how many copies are sold or how much is made.
I am a man of few words, but many riddles.
ukinspro
ukinspro
Posted on 07 February 19 at 20:50
NawtyCawty said:
Wow a company wants to make money. Who’d have thunk it? And still the whiners keep on coming.
Yeah, who'd have thought a company tries to make money as opposed to trying to keep the niche market of whiners happy.

Millions support their products, so you'd think they must be doing something right.
Stevo6483
Stevo6483
Posted on 07 February 19 at 22:34
Happy to hear they're taking a hit - people obviously voting with their wallets in response to the sh!t they've given us over the years laugh
Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas... Whatever!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.