Game Discussion: Fortnite Forum

Fortnite genre tag

AuthorMessage
Poopdog M60Riot
Posted on 17 February 19 at 22:48
I was just curious why this game is under the Battle Royale category. I understand that the BR mode is hands down one of the biggest things in gaming right now, but there isn’t a single achievement related to it. If they added achievements related to BR then it would make more sense. Just curious if games in the future add a tacked on BR mode that has nothing to do with the game, then they will also get put into the genre.

Maybe you could argue that Fortnite is the exception because of its popularity. Let me know what you think.
Banana Big Boys
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 18 February 19 at 00:11, Edited on 18 February 19 at 00:12 by Awoo
Indeed, an interesting case. I wonder when Battlefield V launches its BR mode (assuming it's not a standalone thing), the genre will also get slapped on that? Don't really think this genre was necessary in the first place since pretty much all these games are FPS/TPS anyway, it's just a multiplayer match type at the end of the day.
What can change the nature of a man?
ChinDocta
ChinDocta
Posted on 18 February 19 at 08:49
The entire Base game is BR, it's the DLC that has other gameplay. In fact the Tower Defense genre on the game may need to be relooked at considering it's mainly the DLC that factors that genre into the equation.
GI Flagging Manager
Poopdog M60Riot
Posted on 18 February 19 at 11:54
ChinDocta said:
The entire Base game is BR, it's the DLC that has other gameplay. In fact the Tower Defense genre on the game may need to be relooked at considering it's mainly the DLC that factors that genre into the equation.
I’m pretty sure Save the World came out before the BR mode.
Banana Big Boys
Infamous
Infamous
Posted on 18 February 19 at 12:51
Poopdog M60Riot said:
ChinDocta said:
I’m pretty sure Save the World came out before the BR mode.
It did but apparently it was changed by Microsoft/EPIC so that the BR is now the base game, STW is technically a DLC but doesn't change anything imo. Fortnite is a Battle Royale and Fornite is a Tower Defence, so it should keep both tags.
misfit119
misfit119
Posted on 18 February 19 at 18:30
Poopdog M60Riot said:
I was just curious why this game is under the Battle Royale category. I understand that the BR mode is hands down one of the biggest things in gaming right now, but there isn’t a single achievement related to it.
Achievements don't figure into genres at all. It's what you get when you turn the game on, even if the achievements were removed or never there.
Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.