The Debating Chamber Forum

Forum for intelligent debate on possibly controversial topics related to gaming

The problem with multiplayer/discontinued achievements

AuthorMessage
sharpedog666
sharpedog666
Posted on 21 February 19 at 21:13, Edited on 22 February 19 at 13:07 by sharpedog666
This is a debate on why "mp and discontinued achievements" are currently bad and why Microsoft need to change them.

when i go for achievements i like to 100% the game but sometimes i come across a lot of games with multiplayer achievements that are either for games that don't host servers no more. or a game that is basically dead and nobody plays them. so i think Microsoft should address issues when it comes to multiplayer achievements for future proof and to preserve it being obtainable without the need for players.

the reason they can change this without ruining the integrity of the fun or challenge of obtaining it, they should make games with multiplayer focused achievements obtainable solo if the game has reached a 0 player base or the servers aren't running anymore, because its really unfair that you buy a game expecting to 100% it and finding out that you require people to play it with you. you have to spend a lot of time finding people and most of the time people are too busy or just cba to play the game anymore,

this should only apply to games that are literally dead, not for new games that come straight out but when the game cycle of the multiplayer dies down they should implement a feature to somehow earn mp achievements without needing actual players,

LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS WITH NEAR IMPOSSIBLE MULTIPLAYER REQUIREMENTS OR DISCONTINUED
Prey (2006)
Gears of war 3 (2011) - (low player base)
Call of duty 3 (2006)
Wolfenstein (2009) - (low player base)
Halo 2 pc (2004) is sort of obtainable only if you have project cartographer and a couple of mates
Universe at war: Earth assault (2007)
Def jam: icon (2007) - (Discontinued)
Pro evolution soccer 6 (2006)
Fuzion Frenzy 2

i really hope most people agree with me on this because most multiplayer achievements are not future proof and i think its flawed, i hate having to rely on people.
sharpedog666
JumboWario
JumboWario
Posted on 21 February 19 at 22:51, Edited on 21 February 19 at 22:52 by JumboWario
Games having their servers shut down or having low player bases has absolutely nothing to do with Microsoft unless it's a Microsoft published game.

Your arguing that developers/publishers should keep multiplayer services up for games that have nobody playing just to maintain the integrity of the achievements that a very small percentage of players care about?

If you can't earn all the achievements in a game anymore, either don't start it or start it knowing you won't be able to get them all.
Game On.
Fear The People
Posted on 21 February 19 at 23:32
So a couple notes

1. Gears, Wolfenstein and Cod are not discontinued or anywhere near impossible. Huge time sink yeah sure but with a dedicated group its pretty easy. Havent played the others so cant conment on

2. You're completion % is currently at 56%. A quick view of your profile and there are only 8 unobtainable achievements. Really unless youre going for 100% and actually are anywhere near obtaining it. I wouldnt worry about it.

3. Some games you listed are 13 years old. You cant expect continued support after that many years. Or that they will turn the servers back on. Just accept what you cant get and move on.
sharpedog666
sharpedog666
Posted on 22 February 19 at 12:33, Edited on 22 February 19 at 12:38 by sharpedog666
JumboWario said:
Games having their servers shut down or having low player bases has absolutely nothing to do with Microsoft unless it's a Microsoft published game.

Your arguing that developers/publishers should keep multiplayer services up for games that have nobody playing just to maintain the integrity of the achievements that a very small percentage of players care about?
what i meant is microsoft should use old games as an example for future multiplayer games, so when as the servers are about to be shut down they should put something in place so you can earn those acheivements a different way. i know microsoft aren't in charge of certain games but it is there platform and achievements are an exclusive thing to xbox and Microsoft decide what should be allowed.
sharpedog666
sharpedog666
sharpedog666
Posted on 22 February 19 at 12:46, Edited on 22 February 19 at 13:09 by sharpedog666
Fear The People said:
So a couple notes

1. Gears, Wolfenstein and Cod are not discontinued or anywhere near impossible. Huge time sink yeah sure but with a dedicated group its pretty easy. Havent played the others so cant conment on
i know there not discontinued but my point is, it is kind of tedious to find players that aren't dedicated and it feels like you have to rely on something or someone. achievements shouldn't be forced multiplayer when it comes to its life cycle end of players, this should be used for a example of future titles with multiplayer achievements. for example titanfall 1 and 2, apex legends, warface. all these games might die out in 10 years time and people move on, and i know its a small percentage of people that want to still earn old achievements, they should atleast do one final patch for all multiplayer games as there dying out to be made a solo thing for players that missed out. microsoft could atleast do something in the future to stop certain achievements being unobtainable or impossible to achieve which relies on other players.
sharpedog666
sharpedog666
sharpedog666
Posted on 22 February 19 at 13:05
JumboWario said:

and i ain't saying the developers/publishers should keep there servers running or that, but they could at least do a final patch update, which will forever be on record. which enables multiplayer games to be private matches with some sort of bots or something so you can earn achievements. would be unnecessary to put servers back on just to maintain integrity, but surely a patch wouldn't be that much of a problem, since they patch old games all the time with 4k enhancements and backwards compatibility
sharpedog666
Joshi 82 AT
Joshi 82 AT
Posted on 06 March 19 at 08:55
The completionist in me 100% agrees with you, but only for a very selfish reason. "As long as I play the game I should be able to complete it".

Looking at it more rationally, Achievement hunters are a very small group of gamers and keeping servers online costs money. Making a final patch costs money. Furthermore if you can expect there to be a final patch which changes the requirement to earn the achievement(s) you take away the feel to have something achieved from all gamers who got the achievement prior to the patch.

It would be nice tough if Microsoft and certain devs (Coalition *koff*) stopped advertising achievements as part of the gaming experience if there is a chance you won't be able to earn them all.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.