TA Playlist Forum

Messageboard for all things TA Playlist

L.A. Noire Discussion - Spoiler Free

AuthorMessage
Sashamorning
Sashamorning
Posted on 11 March 19 at 06:47, Edited on 11 March 19 at 06:48 by Sashamorning
Awesome. Last time I asked, one of the organizers said I just needed to post.

That was my post.

The game rocks, btw. Except collecting the cars. That sucked.
Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
RiBoP
RiBoP
Posted on 11 March 19 at 07:41
I am in Homicide right now and still liking the game very much. I am impressed with the facial expressions by the actors in the game, especially since the game is 8 years old. Also, amazing just how many actors were used in this game!

I recognized al lot of actors already but with every case there's a new actor which reminds me of some part in a movie or TV series I have seen. Very nice (but probably expensive) addition to the game which makes the facial expressions and movement so much more realistic.

See this video for how the acting in the game was shot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2EG5J05048&index=11&...
Musikfreak007
Musikfreak007
Posted on 12 March 19 at 01:03, Edited on 12 March 19 at 01:07 by Musikfreak007
I hope you all are enjoying L.A. Noire! It was one of my first completions on Xbox 360. I realized with this and AC II that there were actually games someone of my skill level could complete all the achievements for. smile

Keep at it detectives!
JohnnyInterfnk
Posted on 12 March 19 at 13:42
You can drink from the water coolers in the police stations.

Felt like I had to tell someone this.
RiBoP
RiBoP
Posted on 12 March 19 at 15:08
JohnnyInterfnk said:

Haha, didn't know: awesome! rock
Link5646
Link5646
Posted on 13 March 19 at 19:09
Unfortunately, I don't own LA Noire, so I won't be able to get any progress this month, but I heard that this game hasn't held up as well as other past Rockstar games (San Andreas, RDR 1, etc) have. Is this the case, or have critics gave it a significantly lower score just because "it's a port"?
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 13 March 19 at 20:57
Link5646 said:
Unfortunately, I don't own LA Noire, so I won't be able to get any progress this month, but I heard that this game hasn't held up as well as other past Rockstar games (San Andreas, RDR 1, etc) have. Is this the case, or have critics gave it a significantly lower score just because "it's a port"?
I'm playing the 360 version and I'm enjoying it.
The Manic Moose
Posted on 14 March 19 at 14:38
Link5646 said:
I wouldn't say it has aged badly particularly, possibly certain aspects but nothing that would make me think wow this is old. Highly recommend L A Noire if you like Rockstar games.
GhostMaker mk3
Posted on 14 March 19 at 16:48
JohnnyInterfnk said:

Huh, I love details like this.
GUNNA999666
GUNNA999666
Posted on 15 March 19 at 05:02
Can't wait to get time to start this.
TearsOfAClown9
Posted on 15 March 19 at 05:22
I’d love to play this game but unfortunately I had the ending spoiled for me...I’m a story guy so if I know how it ends, there’s no point.
JohnnyInterfnk
Posted on 15 March 19 at 15:37
TearsOfAClown9 said:
I’d love to play this game but unfortunately I had the ending spoiled for me...I’m a story guy so if I know how it ends, there’s no point.
I wouldn't have this hold you back -- each desk is its own mini story, aka Homicide has its own arc, Traffic has its own arc, etc. Vice and Arson bleed into each other somewhat as their two arcs blend together at the end.

Plus, a lot of cases are their own mini-mini arcs. So, knowing the ending of Arson doesn't really have anything to do with Traffic cases.

Therein, I'd still give it a shot.
WarriorWithinUK
Posted on 15 March 19 at 16:18
I've been playing it here and there looks like I'm going to need a guide for the questioning part of the game I used every answer on the jewellery shop owner but apparently each one was wrong.
MagicalChild
MagicalChild
Posted on 15 March 19 at 18:43
Really enjoyed this when I played it. Also, didn't mind the collectibles that much. They really weren't that bad.
I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!
UselessFATDOG
UselessFATDOG
Posted on 16 March 19 at 15:28
Excellent game. Great story.
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 17 March 19 at 04:18
JohnnyInterfnk said:
TearsOfAClown9 said:
I wouldn't have this hold you back -- each desk is its own mini story, aka Homicide has its own arc, Traffic has its own arc, etc. Vice and Arson bleed into each other somewhat as their two arcs blend together at the end.

Plus, a lot of cases are their own mini-mini arcs. So, knowing the ending of Arson doesn't really have anything to do with Traffic cases.

Therein, I'd still give it a shot.
I agree that you should try it out even if you know the end. There are a ton of other cases to play very few deal with your final case.
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 17 March 19 at 08:44, Edited on 17 March 19 at 08:45 by zeldafanjtl
TVippy said:
There are at least 6 versions of the game in the wild now:

-PS3
-X360
-PC
-PS4
-XO
-Switch

Which is the absolute best one to play? I've a sneaking suspicion, it's still the PS3 one, as it was the original release and the target platform was always the PS3 (the game was even supposed to be an exclusive for the longest time). As it's too often the case, the ports just introduce bugs and other things like that. PC version was a {#}disaster{#}, as far as I know (haven't played, but heard bad things). PS4/XO = just higher resolution + new bugs (I would presume, haven't tried them either). Please correct me.
There's actually two 360 versions: the standard version (3 discs), and the Complete Edition (4 discs). You'd think that if you purchase the Rockstar Pass for the standard version, you'd get the same thing, but the Complete Edition includes a case that was originally a PS3 exclusive, and was never available as DLC for the 360 version. The two share an achievement list, though.

As far as I can tell, the Complete Edition was the only version available for Windows.

I haven't heard anything about additional bugs in the remastered version, but I do know that the truth/doubt/lie options have been giving the more accurate names Good Cop/Bad Cop/Accuse, which is definitely an improvement. And of course the remaster includes everything that the Complete Edition did.

There's also an HTC Vive version. Though that's a more stripped-down version of the game.
Osmo76
Osmo76
Posted on 17 March 19 at 12:20
zeldafanjtl said:
BetaSigX20 said:
I'm still having a little trouble figuring out when to use Good Cop, Bad Cop, and Accuse, based solely on the facial expressions, but I'm getting it right most of the time.
I like that some of the characters are good liars, and some aren't.

Lies, I've found, you pretty much just know whether you have the evidence or not. "Truth"/coax vs "doubt"/force is a little harder. Occasionally you'll get lucky, and the correct response to one question will mention a detail that contradicts the witness's answer to another question, so you know to press X. I also sometimes just intuit the right answer based on the circumstances; A+ for the writing and acting being good enough to make that level of immersion possible.

One constant frustration I'm running into is having several pieces of evidence that prove a witness is lying, but not all of them are considered "correct" for proving the lie. Kind of reminds me of the Phoenix Wright games laugh
Another annoying thing is doing everything correctly, but just because you happened to observe Exhibit B before A, you will miss out on a clue.

I've just done my first case on the Homicide desk and I'm contemplating using a guide. I would only use it to check whether I'm right after I have made my decision. Just don't feel like playing the cases twice.

All in all, I like the game so far but there are many things too repetitive. Like walking around an apartment and tapping A hoping to find clues. Story is interesting.
RiBoP
RiBoP
Posted on 18 March 19 at 05:44
Osmo76 said:
Another annoying thing is doing everything correctly, but just because you happened to observe Exhibit B before A, you will miss out on a clue.

I've just done my first case on the Homicide desk and I'm contemplating using a guide. I would only use it to check whether I'm right after I have made my decision. Just don't feel like playing the cases twice.
I do the same now, choose the best option, but verify it in the guide before I actually answer. I get about 85% right I think, but especially in the 1hour-cases I don't feel like replaying them. One of the (long) DLC cases I also messed up because I was responding to too many street crimes: totally wrecked my car when I bumped into another one ;-) Five star rating gone...
DeliriousDrew
DeliriousDrew
Posted on 19 March 19 at 16:27
Love this game and recommend it to everyone
???
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.