Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Poll: Would You Buy a Digital-Only Console?

• Posted on 08 March 19 at 14:59
    Go green, go lean

Please click here to read the story: Poll: Would You Buy a Digital-Only Console?
    Poll: Would you buy a digital-only console?
    • 15.3% - Yes, definitely
    • 37.3% - Yes, if it had other compelling features (reduced price on console or games, digital trade-ins, free Game Pass, etc.)
    • 18.9% - Not now, but maybe someday
    • 25.5% - No, never
    • 2.9% - Other/Not sure

We had 3,616 responses to the poll.
    You must log in to vote on this poll
  • Smudgenat0rSmudgenat0r840,511
    Posted on 08 March 19 at 14:59
    Absolutely!
  • spankyNspronklespankyNspronkle1,148,077
    Posted on 08 March 19 at 15:02, Edited on 08 March 19 at 15:03 by spankyNspronkle
    Went with the second option. It would really need some compelling features. Some titles just never really see a price drop digitally... would like to have the option to go physical if the price is better in the current state.

If be willing to sacrifice that desire if it had other cool features like trading in digital games or selling the license second-hand some way... cheaper games too.

EDIT: This is answered from the standpoint of it being my primary and only console. It's obviously not a bad option for a secondary system in the house.
  • THE VITTLERTHE VITTLER526,875
    Posted on 08 March 19 at 15:02
    As 99% of my games are digital. I’d say yes. They just need to sort pricing of digital games against physical, and give the ability to “sell” your digital games.
  • SeitzzSeitzz1,120,599
    Posted on 08 March 19 at 15:02
    Yes, because I've started transitioning from physical to digital, it's too much of a hassle to have so many games, especially when I haven't settled down yet (living wise). This is also an opportunity for me to get a second xbox one, hopefully at a reduced price so I can double box some games if I so choose.
  • supkrissupkris1,741,260
    Posted on 08 March 19 at 15:03
    Is there any reason to buy this for xbox one x owners? Unless this is a next gen console then a big no
  • SpilnerSpilner1,153,764
    Posted on 08 March 19 at 15:04
    i look forward to the blu-ray player add on for it.
    Pom poms at the ready, cheerleaders!
  • BALL1EBALL1E613,682
    Posted on 08 March 19 at 15:06
    As long as there was a way to play offline if the internets goes down, I'd be in.
  • BloodGodAlucardBloodGodAlucard2,372,903
    Posted on 08 March 19 at 15:06
    I get almost everything digital, so yeah that's the format I prefer. BUT I want the more powerful specs as well. I don't want a stripped down console with lesser components to save costs. If it's an Anaconda without a disc drive but retains all the power, then yes. Shave a few bucks off the asking price and I'll take it gladly.
  • SkaamitSkaamit178,306
    Posted on 08 March 19 at 15:07
    Definitely. I don't use physical media on electrical devices anymore.

Films, music or games on discs? No, it's in the past.
  • Posted on 08 March 19 at 15:07, Edited on 08 March 19 at 15:08 by Mr Peanutbubber
    No. I enjoy owning movies on Blu-Ray and eventually 4K. Don't have the Internet speeds to stream 4K.
  • Posted on 08 March 19 at 15:10
    I mostly prefer digital now, but my collection of older physical games is still too big. That said, if Microsoft offered a way to trade in discs for download codes, then I'd be fine with it.
    This is a signature. It has words in it.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 08 March 19 at 15:11
    No, never. Funny when microsoft first launched the Xbox 1 Xbox fans rejected the Madatory Kinect, Always Online, no used game no gaming system. But now fans want a Digital-only console that will probably be always on online, no used games since its all digital anyways. I guess Xbox fans are fickle.
    Xbox 1, Ps4, Switch Gamer. Feel free to add me.
  • Posted on 08 March 19 at 15:11
    They can pry physical media from my cold dead hands. Although, my disk drive is now suffering from the grinding gears of death. So uh, they're doing a good job so far!

Honestly though, probably not. I like discs too much. Having a tangible collection is satisfying, and also relatively future-proof. You hear these horror stories of companies rarely, but able to, revoke any and all 'digital licenses'. Prefer something I actually own, thanks. And also nice (most of the time) if you're like me and have poverty internet and spend your time buying discs that actually have the content on-disc. As they should. Unlike some games.
    I work on achievements. Life sanity tip: don't work on achievements.
  • Lemonhead8Lemonhead8837,382
    Posted on 08 March 19 at 15:13
    I like physical copies of games and that's the route I'll take until they're no longer available.

But if a discless console is cheaper it could still be useful for multiboxing assuming you can get good digital sales on games. I guess its just comes down to $$.
  • WEEEEDKILLAWEEEEDKILLA861,755
    No from me I enjoy collecting retail games on game consoles right down to the early SNES & Megadrive days
  • QuemandanteQuemandante1,146,977
    Yes if it has compelling features or is considerably cheaper.
  • GF5 aZZGF5 aZZ291,420
    Posted on 08 March 19 at 15:17
    I've never used disc games since buying my Day One Xbox One so would happily go digital. I've watched less than a dozen blurays on there for convinience but nothing I couldn't have watched elsewhere. If MS took away the drive, they would still need some kind of financial incentive there, and not keep waving the Game Pass carrot in front of me (like I haven't already bought 90% of the games on their on with discounts already zzz)
  • smirkdirksmirkdirk417,609
    Posted on 08 March 19 at 15:17
    As a person who travels with my console I'm curious about the physical size of the diskless version. If it's significantly smaller I probably will get it.
  • Mudlo7581Mudlo7581407,205
    Posted on 08 March 19 at 15:18
    If the next gen Xbox comes with an all digital option, I'll definitely buy that one. I've been all digital on the Xbox One except for my first Fifa 14 game and am in the process of going all digital with my movies as well. As soon as we get a reliable/affordable 4k movie, I'll be completely digital hopefully.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads