Industry News Forum

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Xbox Live Will Expand to Android and iOS Devices

AuthorMessage
deutschZuid
deutschZuid
Posted on 15 March 19 at 07:37
Maybe.. with live enabled games available on android and iOS devices soon, would TA consider porting the Ta app to these two platforms ?
Clever Jake
Clever Jake
Posted on 15 March 19 at 07:48
So I can get achievements at work again, that's good. But if loads of sub par games are released just for easy GS, that could be bad. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Joshi 82 AT
Joshi 82 AT
Posted on 15 March 19 at 08:00
As good as any time for TA to overhaul their TA Score System. Instead of just adding TA Points to the GS, leave the base (1000GS) points out. As a high GS will have less and less value a high TA Score would still have a high value. For Avatar Airbender you'd only have 7 points wink instead of the 1000 plus extra 7 bonus points. facepalm

In general I have mixed feelings about that move. If I want quantity I use PC games and dig through the news to find a quality game. I don't want that for consoles. Not a big fan of ID@xbox. Already wasted enough money by "buying" Gamerscore.
Hexa Fox
Hexa Fox
Posted on 15 March 19 at 09:32
ProjectJeff85 said:
Ah, "the achievement system is being ruined" freakouts and the old "what you play on your xbox effects me" argument. Gezz *eyeroll*

Onto Microsoft Game Stack, this is neat. Will be interesting to see how devs are going make use of the SDK. Doubt I'll be using it often since I don't do much gaming on my phone as much as I do on consoles and PCs aside from stuff like Buggy Beach Blitz or endless runners to kill time :P. Most of my phone time is on Twitter and calling people. I need battery for that lol. For those who play mobile games often, more power to them.

Reborn Insanity said:
Many people feared achievements would lose their value when games like NeoGeo and the bunch of ID@Xbox started flooding in, but I think it's still fine. Leaderboards I can't speak for because I've never actively kept track of them or gone for a position, but even if we do get a flood of shovelware it won't kill achievements.

Personally I've lost interest in 'easy' gamerscore and I'm trying to focus more on ratio now anyways.
Ain't that right? Last time I check, achievements are still working for me. Got 3 in Forza Horizon 4 last night and a few in Redout. I don't just buy or rent games for "easy" GS as much as I used to in the past. I play games for, well, the games I'm playing right now and getting achievements there in the process.

Also, a lot of my favorite games this gen (Cuphead, Shantae, etc) are part of ID@Xbox too. There are great games from it too.
So where things should be differentiated between is what people care about. When I started going after achievements I wanted to increase my overall score and maintain my completion. I have not played a single ACA NEO game and not sure if I ever will. They were obviously targeted at achievement hunters and priced accordingly.

So if what you play does not have an impact on me why can the games just not have achievements then? Why does it matter in the first place? If your statement is true and they truly are shovelware then they should release without achievements so people can enjoy them.

This was the same argument for the ACA NEO games. If they were just a cool addition for fans to enjoy why did they have achievements in the first place. Also why are the majority of those achievements pretty easy to obtain. It is not difficult to figure out.
The Fox Rocks!
HolyHalfDead
HolyHalfDead
Posted on 15 March 19 at 10:29
So DirectX is still going. I remember developing games in the mid nineties using that and ActiveX.
He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
OceanicBeast48
Posted on 15 March 19 at 10:36
Well from some of the dev's I know have mentioned for the next gen they are looking at a total revamp on GS in favor of something else . TA would have to completely restructure the website from ground up.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 15 March 19 at 11:44
OceanicBeast48 said:
Well from some of the dev's I know have mentioned for the next gen they are looking at a total revamp on GS in favor of something else . TA would have to completely restructure the website from ground up.
Just as long as it aint trophies i never cared for the trophy system on PlayStation i mean whats the point of fake trophies. Achievements > Trophies
Xbox 1, Ps4, Switch Gamer. Feel free to add me.
Cannon Fodder06
Posted on 15 March 19 at 12:31
Just means even more value to a TA score vs raw gamer score.
I Argonaut I
I Argonaut I
Posted on 15 March 19 at 13:00
MattiasAnderson said:
Horrible news for me! Inflation = Gamerscore pointless.
+1
Gleaming Cube
Gleaming Cube
Posted on 15 March 19 at 13:08
Cannon Fodder06 said:
Just means even more value to a TA score vs raw gamer score.
Exactly this. It could almost be seen as a good thing as far as this site is concerned as you will be able to see clearer than ever "Just how good" they really are. Quality over quantity,
Shred Asics 13
Posted on 15 March 19 at 14:17
Uh oh. Phone achievements at work?

Life will never be the same. toast
prokop
prokop
Posted on 15 March 19 at 17:14
Awoo said:
supadryz said:
Let's hope that games which become possible Xbox enabled with achievements is heavily controlled as there is a lot of rubbish out there. Expect it will be Microsoft Studio games to begin with.
They don't even have quality control on their own system at this point judging by all the pure trash that comes out on ID@Xbox, so I wouldn't count on it.
complains about quality control but also plays the easiest games to rack up GS. ok...
C.C. Prokop
AngryKamehameha
Posted on 15 March 19 at 18:43
Harvey8irdman said:
Wonder if ill be able to play my wondows phone games on my android phone.
^ This
IcyThrasher
IcyThrasher
Posted on 15 March 19 at 21:20
Sigh. I love that I can almost guarantee the tower defense leader board will have quite a few an endless amount of games coming it's way. Problem with that though is almost everyone of them will have unobtainable achievements and game crashing before you can even beat it.
buttmudBrooks
buttmudBrooks
Posted on 15 March 19 at 21:29, Edited on 15 March 19 at 21:31 by buttmudBrooks
I'm in the camp of this mostly looking like an awful idea.
*Except* I just returned from vacation, and was trying to keep an achievement streak going with mobile games because I don't take my consoles on vacation. I was wondering how I will keep future streaks going with once Minecraft and Solitaire on iOS were exhausted. This may be my answer...
Always number 2.
Darklord1899
Darklord1899
Posted on 16 March 19 at 01:32
Just what we need more games that save in the cloud. More unfinished titles. Hmmm.

I love the cloud saving idea so much I dusted off my 360 to play games again.

It works offline. It works online the same cannot be said for the one and now we are getting it on android...

Gears of war might be fun on my phone but who has a phone that has 100Gb of ssd free for the game?
deutschZuid
deutschZuid
Posted on 16 March 19 at 02:17
Wonder if they'd announce something about this during E3..
Swinny Costello
Posted on 16 March 19 at 05:13
Everyone's missing the most important aspect of this whole thing.

Power BI with achievements!!!
JORAX
JORAX
Posted on 16 March 19 at 06:26
^ NERD! ;)

I'd "play" that too toast.
JORAX
JORAX
Posted on 16 March 19 at 06:35
neeker75 said:
Two days ago, I was told by a doctor that I may possibly need to be hospitalised for a condition (thankfully, it didn't happen). While worried about my condition, I was also concerned that a prolonged spell away from my Xbox would break my achievement streak (1975 days now). So this phone achievement thing? It'd be nice to have if I really needed something to keep the streak going, much like my previous Windows Phone.

That is all.
Hi there - was just going back over the posts here and noticed this. Glad to hear you aren't having to be hospitalized, and hope everything is going well! My wife had to be hospitalized for several weeks last year and while not as big of a gamer as me being able to play various games on her phone and laptop helped her pass the time and try to focus on other things. This is a great reminder that something like whether or not mobile games will "ruin" achievements across the board are often silly internet arguments and the enjoyment and community that games provide means a lot (in different ways) to an incredible amount of people around the world.

If you are still reading, thanks for indulging a few minutes of sentimentality to me. I hope everyone out there is keeping healthy and happy as much as they can. And neeker, I hope you can keep your amazing streak going for as long as possible!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.