Investigations Questions Forum

Question for the Investigations Team? Please remember to keep posts civil, abusive posts can result in loss of posting privileges. Posts in this forum can be read by anyone on the site. Please do not attempt to hijack a thread by posting information not relevant to the original post, start a new thread instead.

Will Offline Achievements = Banning on TA?

AuthorMessage
Maiden Ty One
Maiden Ty One
Posted on 14 March 19 at 20:46
Sorry if this has been answered before - I did search for it but couldn't find it.

Basically, it looks like I may not have internet access intermittently for a while so will probably be earning a lot of achievements offline.

When you earn achievements offline they don't pop until the next time you load up the game online. This means that to TA it will look as though I popped like 10 achievements at once.

Now, I know that popping large numbers of achievements at once is one of the methods TA uses to detect cheating/account editing. A buddy of mine had a dozen or so achievements stack up due to a particular game being buggy - basically a bunch of people had their achievements stack up and then all pop at once, and all got temporarily banned by TA. Once TA verified that it was indeed due to a bug everyone's bans were lifted, but I can't imagine how TA would determine this in my case.

If I play, say, Metro Exodus offline and fulfill the requirements for 10 achievements, the next time I load up Metro Exodus online all those achievements will pop at once. How can TA determine that it's simply because I'm playing offline? And is there any way I can prove it if I do get banned?

Or is this not even an issue anymore? TA might have dropped this method of detecting cheating for all I know.

Thanks
JumboWario
JumboWario
Posted on 14 March 19 at 21:50
As long as you aren't earning achievements that REQUIRE and online connection (multiplayer, leaderboard achievements, etc.) then it shouldn't be an issue
Game On.
IcyThrasher
IcyThrasher
Posted on 15 March 19 at 17:27
If you are talking about earning achievements for the Xbox one, it is not an issue. Currently the investigation team and the site don't do anything with Xbox one achievements.

If you are talking about Xbox 360, then as JumboWarior said, it's fine as long as those achievements can normally be earned without an internet connection or online play.
Maiden Ty One
Maiden Ty One
Posted on 15 March 19 at 17:34
Yeah, sorry, I should have specified I was talking about the Xbox One.

I know it's possible to earn achievements offline on 360, they simply don't record any date.

I just thought it might look odd if, after several days, or even weeks, of offline play on something like Metro Exodus and it causes about 10-20 achievements to register on my TA account as all popping at the same moment.

But I had no idea TA didn't do any kind of monitoring / investigating of Xbox One achievements. I suppose because it's next to impossible to cheat them.
Posted on 16 March 19 at 00:02
As others mentioned, there is nothing wrong with playing offline. The pattern of achievements you describe (many unlocking at once in a random order) is how the Xbox One functions when it reconnects to LIVE after offline gameplay and is not something we'd publish a complaint for.
StellateSafe94
Posted on 22 March 19 at 02:48
IcyThrasher said:
If you are talking about earning achievements for the Xbox one, it is not an issue. Currently the investigation team and the site don't do anything with Xbox one achievements.

If you are talking about Xbox 360, then as JumboWarior said, it's fine as long as those achievements can normally be earned without an internet connection or online play.
What about 360 games that are played on the one through backwards compatibility? I know you can get those without being online and then once you reconnect to the internet or turn the one back on they can all pop at once.
rekikire
rekikire
Posted on 22 March 19 at 03:19
StellateSafe94 said:
What about 360 games that are played on the one through backwards compatibility? I know you can get those without being online and then once you reconnect to the internet or turn the one back on they can all pop at once.
It's only the xbox one achievements that pop all at once when you come back online. The Xbox 360 achievements pop offline in the 360 emulator if it's offline. Just like if you were offline on your physical 360. This is an issue in all the challenges/competitions on this site as the emulator occasionally kicks people offline on the 360 while they're still online on the xbox one, so their achievement doesn't get a timestamp.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.