Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

The best Xbox One simulation games available in 2020

• EarthboundXEarthboundX1,318,069
    Posted on 06 May 20 at 23:15, Edited on 06 May 20 at 23:16 by EarthboundXPermalink
    KinectKid333 said:
    Too bad Surviving Mars is now a completely meaningless completion.
    I know what you mean it sucks, having to play a video games because it's a video game, and not just because of points? Nobody wants to actually play a video game for fun.

That's just disgusting.
  • KinectKid333KinectKid333633,143
    Posted on 06 May 20 at 23:33Permalink
    EarthboundX said:
    KinectKid333 said:
    I know what you mean it sucks, having to play a video games because it's a video game, and not just because of points? Nobody wants to actually play a video game for fun.

That's just disgusting.
    You do you bro, and I'll do me, mkay? I actually had Surviving Mars on my "games to play list" before the mods were released. The vast majority of the games I play are games I think I will enjoy playing and games that I can be proud of once I complete them. That second part is where I get a large part of enjoyment from gaming. I would never do the cheating method anyway, but the fact that you can complete the game effortlessly in 10 seconds means that I will never be able to be proud of that completion because it's now a meaningless (or even embarrassing) completion to anybody on this site. I don't think the mods existing are good for achievement hunting in general, for obvious reasons. I wasn't saying you couldn't still play games for fun, I was just stating that the completion is meaningless.
    Theory and practice are the same in theory, but not in practice.
    Posted on 06 May 20 at 23:58, Edited on 06 May 20 at 23:59 by EarthboundXPermalink
    KinectKid333 said:
    EarthboundX said:
    KinectKid333 said:

That's just disgusting.
    You do you bro, and I'll do me, mkay? I actually had Surviving Mars on my "games to play list" before the mods were released. The vast majority of the games I play are games I think I will enjoy playing and games that I can be proud of once I complete them. That second part is where I get a large part of enjoyment from gaming. I would never do the cheating method anyway, but the fact that you can complete the game effortlessly in 10 seconds means that I will never be able to be proud of that completion because it's now a meaningless (or even embarrassing) completion to anybody on this site. I don't think the mods existing are good for achievement hunting in general, for obvious reasons. I wasn't saying you couldn't still play games for fun, I was just stating that the completion is meaningless.
    Well I'm of the mind that completions have always been meaningless. It's just a stat on a website that comparably a very small amount of people visit. So it just seemed like an odd thing to bring up to me.
  • Legohead 1977Legohead 19771,135,596
    Posted on 07 May 20 at 00:47Permalink
    EarthboundX said:
    KinectKid333 said:
    EarthboundX said:
    KinectKid333 said:

That's just disgusting.
    Well I'm of the mind that completions have always been meaningless. It's just a stat on a website that comparably a very small amount of people visit. So it just seemed like an odd thing to bring up to me.
    Completions exist with or without this website...and you are commenting on said website, posting that the stats of this website are meaningless to people other than those who visit this website.
    Legohead 1977
  • EazyE2285EazyE2285318,628
    Posted on 07 May 20 at 00:53, Edited on 07 May 20 at 00:56 by EazyE2285Permalink
    EarthboundX said:
    KinectKid333 said:
    EarthboundX said:
    KinectKid333 said:

That's just disgusting.
    Just like to say while scrolling names and seeing the game I immediately knew there would be at least one. I'm surprised it took as many posts as it did.

Them and only them would have been proud of their completion before the mods seeing as it's not some one off, thousands of hours involved completion. Absolutely nothing has changed about completing that game completely with the mods out. It's still a hundred something (200?) hour game. If someone were to find a way to set up a playthrough or a handful of them to get them all in half the time then yes that's a big let down. As it stands you can be in the played it completition camp or the didn't bother completion camp.

But sure let an arbitrary number ruin an experience you wanted to have. I want to go to Machu Picchu but 12% more people visited in 2018 than 2017 so I'm not planning on ever going anymore. Do you see how stupid that sounds?
  • KinectKid333KinectKid333633,143
    Posted on 07 May 20 at 01:05, Edited on 07 May 20 at 01:08 by KinectKid333Permalink
    EazyE2285 said:
    EarthboundX said:
    KinectKid333 said:
    EarthboundX said:
    KinectKid333 said:

That's just disgusting.
    Just like to say while scrolling names and seeing the game I immediately knew there would be at least one. I'm surprised it took as many posts as it did.

Them and only them would have been proud of their completion before the mods seeing as it's not some one off, thousands of hours involved completion. Absolutely nothing has changed about completing that game completely with the mods out. It's still a hundred something (200?) hour game. If someone were to find a way to set up a playthrough or a handful of them to get them all in half the time then yes that's a big let down. As it stands you can be in the played it completition camp or the didn't bother completion camp.

But sure let an arbitrary number ruin an experience you wanted to have. I want to go to Machu Picchu but 12% more people visited in 2018 than 2017 so I'm not planning on ever going anymore. Do you see how stupid that sounds?
    You don't get it. The two main reasons I wanted to play the game was because it looked like a game I would enjoy and because I knew I would be proud of the completion once I was done. The completion is now infinitely devalued now, completely eliminating one of the main reasons why I wanted to play it in the first place. It might not make sense to you or some other people, but like I said, you do you and I'll do me. There isn't any good reason for your or Earthbound's negative comments about the way I like to play.
    Theory and practice are the same in theory, but not in practice.
  • Legohead 1977Legohead 19771,135,596
    Posted on 07 May 20 at 01:32, Edited on 07 May 20 at 01:33 by Legohead 1977Permalink
    EazyE2285 said:
    That instance does sound very silly, to me at least, others may have a different view.

Though a more comparable example would be that you climbed Mount Everest in 2018 and got your picture taken at the summit. Then it was discovered in 2019 that there is an elevator to the top, now thousands of people have scaled Mount Everest and the world just assumes anyone has done so used the elevator. Sure you can explain it to people, but it's a shame you have to.

While I don't see things the same way as KinectKid, I think he can still be proud of the completion, I can appreciate why he feels the way he does.
    Legohead 1977
    Posted on 07 May 20 at 01:38, Edited on 07 May 20 at 01:48 by EarthboundXPermalink
    Legohead 1977 said:
    EarthboundX said:
    KinectKid333 said:
    EarthboundX said:
    KinectKid333 said:

That's just disgusting.
    Completions exist with or without this website...and you are commenting on said website, posting that the stats of this website are meaningless to people other than those who visit this website.
    OK, so completions exist outside the website, now what? It's just video games, as much as I love them. Nobody is gonna brag about completions, Gamerscore, TA Score, or Ratio outside of this website and be taken seriously at all. Other than saying something like "that's neat I guess" I don't really even take them seriously here. It's just something I do for fun, and my fun won't be ruined or devalued because someone else took the easy route.
  • Sam PardonSam Pardon491,224
    Posted on 07 May 20 at 01:41Permalink
    Railroad Tycoon is a very fun game!
    Posted on 07 May 20 at 01:41Permalink
    KinectKid333 said:
    EazyE2285 said:
    EarthboundX said:
    KinectKid333 said:
    EarthboundX said:
    KinectKid333 said:

That's just disgusting.

You don't get it. The two main reasons I wanted to play the game was because it looked like a game I would enjoy and because I knew I would be proud of the completion once I was done. The completion is now infinitely devalued now, completely eliminating one of the main reasons why I wanted to play it in the first place. It might not make sense to you or some other people, but like I said, you do you and I'll do me. There isn't any good reason for your or Earthbound's negative comments about the way I like to play.
    None of my comments are meant to be negative, more just my opinion about ultimately pointless stats.

Just because mods exist, doesn't mean your personal experience of playing a game you enjoy is worth less. That's just something I find to be ridiculous.
    Posted on 07 May 20 at 02:37Permalink
    KinectKid333 said:
    EazyE2285 said:

I'm afraid you are the one whose not getting it.

You finish the game beginning of April and have put 50-1000 hours into the game, you get 100% completion on your stats here, another completed game, 1500GS.

You finish the game beginning of May and have put 50-1000 hours into the game, you get 100% completion on your stats here, another completed game, 1500GS.

Absolutely nothing about the completion has been devalued, it's still worth the exact same digital numbers as before and if doing it legit will take around the same time as before. Nothing about the game or the experience of it has changed and certainly not infinitely.

As for the negative comments part none of what I said was negative just pointing out your completion didn't matter to anyone else before mods and doesn't now either. Shouldn't let the fact it can be done easily now prevent you from playing something you might enjoy
  • Nod NolanNod Nolan595,383
    Posted on 07 May 20 at 08:04, Edited on 07 May 20 at 08:04 by Nod NolanPermalink
    EazyE2285 said:

You finish the game beginning of April and have put 50-1000 hours into the game, you get 100% completion on your stats here, another completed game, 1500GS.

You finish the game beginning of May and have put 50-1000 hours into the game, you get 100% completion on your stats here, another completed game, 1500GS.

Absolutely nothing about the completion has been devalued, it's still worth the exact same digital numbers as before and if doing it legit will take around the same time as before. Nothing about the game or the experience of it has changed and certainly not infinitely.

As for the negative comments part none of what I said was negative just pointing out your completion didn't matter to anyone else before mods and doesn't now either. Shouldn't let the fact it can be done easily now prevent you from playing something you might enjoy
    I'll refer you to the True Achievement "about page". About TrueAchievements

How does it work?
    We believe the harder an achievement is to obtain, the more points should be received. We've decided that an achievement's difficulty can be accurately approximated by using a formula based on how many people have that achievement compared to how many people own the game. We also understand the phrase 'accurately approximated' is a contradiction in terms but are refusing to remove it on the grounds that it sounds impressive. From there we multiply the original points given to the achievement by our difficulty score and end up with the TrueAchievement score for that, for want of a better word, achievement. By adding up the TrueAchievement scores for all the achievements you have won, you get your TrueAchievement Score. Of which you should be terribly proud. Unless it's only 1, in which case you are both a fool and disgrace to your family. We know this as they called the other day and asked to be disassociated from you. The difficulty score, or ratio, for each achievement actually represents it's rarity within the sites tracked gamers. This does not always mean that the high ratio achievements are difficult but it does often give a good indication that more effort is involved to get them.

So yes, the Value of the 'True' achievement HAS been devalued.

The Surviving Mars cheat is diametrically opposed to what this site was set up for.
    Posted on 07 May 20 at 08:09, Edited on 07 May 20 at 08:15 by EarthboundXPermalink
    Nod Nolan said:
    EazyE2285 said:

How does it work?
    We believe the harder an achievement is to obtain, the more points should be received. We've decided that an achievement's difficulty can be accurately approximated by using a formula based on how many people have that achievement compared to how many people own the game. We also understand the phrase 'accurately approximated' is a contradiction in terms but are refusing to remove it on the grounds that it sounds impressive. From there we multiply the original points given to the achievement by our difficulty score and end up with the TrueAchievement score for that, for want of a better word, achievement. By adding up the TrueAchievement scores for all the achievements you have won, you get your TrueAchievement Score. Of which you should be terribly proud. Unless it's only 1, in which case you are both a fool and disgrace to your family. We know this as they called the other day and asked to be disassociated from you. The difficulty score, or ratio, for each achievement actually represents it's rarity within the sites tracked gamers. This does not always mean that the high ratio achievements are difficult but it does often give a good indication that more effort is involved to get them.

The Surviving Mars cheat is diametrically opposed to what this site was set up for.
    Unfortunately that's not how it works. TA score and ratio are just based how how many people have played the game/s, rarity, not difficulty. 4-5 of my highest TA score and ratio games are Minecraft for example, not the Dark Souls series. Even before the mod, I don't think Surviving Mars was considered a hard completion at all, it was just really grindy. I plan to play it somewhat soon myself, so I guess I'll see.

Maybe that's how it worked on TA at first when the site launched, but it's not how it works anymore.
    Posted on 07 May 20 at 08:26Permalink
    Nod Nolan said:
    EazyE2285 said:

How does it work?

True achievement isn't even a good metric on their own site anymore. Numbers for GWG or GP games are artificially inflated due to number of gamers who start with no intention to ever really keep playing let alone finish. It can fluctuate daily depending on how many people play the game and its difficulty.

Had the argument been it's True Achievement Score has been devalued your comment would be valid. That's not what was said though and the completion is still just a 100% completion that takes the same time legit to complete now as it did pre mod method thus literally the exact same "proudness" factor.
  • Nod NolanNod Nolan595,383
    Posted on 07 May 20 at 10:05Permalink
    Thank you for deciding whether my comment is valid or not.

How utterly gracious of you.

hopefully the Series X will revert back to an Achievement System rather than a SCORE system and will figure out away of sorting out those that buy score or mod score.
  • RadicalKoopaRadicalKoopa546,013
    Posted on 08 May 20 at 03:48Permalink
    well this topic got derailed....
  • MikaszMikasz499,839
    Posted on 08 May 20 at 12:30Permalink
    Sam Pardon said:
    Railroad Tycoon is a very fun game!
    Oh God, I'd love to get any game which has similar soundtrack to Railroad Tycoon 2. It's so, so good and fitting the game it's beyond any comparison.
    Posted on 08 May 20 at 21:50Permalink
    Nod Nolan said:
    Thank you for deciding whether my comment is valid or not.

How utterly gracious of you.

hopefully the Series X will revert back to an Achievement System rather than a SCORE system and will figure out away of sorting out those that buy score or mod score.
    I mean it wasn't. Your brought something into it that the poster didn't even mention.

That aside, revert back? When hasn't it been a meaningless, digital score measuring contest? The achievement system has always been about GamerSCORE, the word is literally part of it.

You cannot buy score as it stands right now. You can buy games that give score but you have to do something to get it

For the record I've had the game on my wishlist for awhile as I knew I'd not get around to it and wanted to find a decent sale with all DLC included. I plan to some day play it. If it's boring I'll try to find a way to complete it the fastest way possible just as I did with Subnautica which was a game I threw 10 hours into and tried to enjoy before finding the method to get all the achievements in under 30 minutes.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.