Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Sekiro and the Joy of Playing Games in Their Native Languages

AuthorMessage
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 22 March 19 at 14:08
The cheapest way to travel

Please click here to read the story: Sekiro and the Joy of Playing Games in Their Native Languages
Clever Jake
Clever Jake
Posted on 22 March 19 at 14:08
Hi all,

We wanted to take a moment to remind everyone about our Forum Policy. Please take a moment to review it.

We want to encourage a healthy discussion that includes a wide array of opinions. If you can communicate your opinion in a civil manner that complies with our updated policy, we will never moderate those posts.

If your post is deleted, this is the result of violating our forum policy. Your post was not communicated in a civil fashion. It has no bearing on the opinion you are trying to convey.

Thanks for understanding.
pezboyben
pezboyben
Posted on 22 March 19 at 14:25
Interesting, I've never considered playing a game not in English even though subtitles don't bother me at all. You've got me thinking.
Proud Dad MCAL
Posted on 22 March 19 at 14:32
pezboyben said:
Interesting, I've never considered playing a game not in English even though subtitles don't bother me at all. You've got me thinking.
As a English speaking person, playing Halo in Spanish is so much better!
DarkWingSpartan
Posted on 22 March 19 at 14:35
I agree wholeheartedly that this makes cutscenes and story moments more potent, but the problem is that it can make it easy to miss things in the heat of battle or whatnot. Also (and I can't speak for Seiro since I haven't played it), there's always the risk that some of the background chatter won't get subtitles. Still, if I'm looking to do a second playthrough of a game like these, then I don't hesitate to change the language.
This is a signature. It has words in it.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 22 March 19 at 14:39
I agree. In general, I prefer experiencing a medium in its original language as much as possible, as long as it's within my abilities. Even though I'll never play this game, I'm glad to hear they not only put the option to do so, but recommend it to the player.

And by the way...
Playing Sekiro in its story's native language is fantastic and I can't imagine reverting back to English. I'm sure a percentage of readers who are anime fans are laughing at the obviousness of this suggestion — dubs over subs and all that — but I think with video games like Sekiro this change may be even more important and more enjoyable.
Shouldn't it be subs over dubs in that situation?
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
ufcmike1
ufcmike1
Posted on 22 March 19 at 14:55
Never really thought of that. I started with English speaking. I'll switch the voice over to the default and put this to the test. I do agree with the setting and getting more into the story this way.
CodeMonkeysGuy
Posted on 22 March 19 at 15:01
I used JP voices when playing Final Fantasy XV, wouldn't do it any other way. The subs suck though, since they just use the subtitles from the dubs, which are sometimes fairly different from whatever the JP voice actors actually say, but whatever. The original voices are usually better for these things.

Dubs are generally just that - dubs. Meant to bridge the language barrier but not to necessarily capture every character and their words/mannerisms, especially when working with content based in another country's culture and humor. GOOD dubs are too far and few in-between to justify using them very widely IMO.

I can think of literally two dubs between all the anime/games I've watched/played that I don't really mind. And in both instances, you're working with a lot of heavy hitter voice actors that fit their respective roles perfectly and do buckets of voice acting, and it's clear that the dub wasn't just "make it English" but "make it good".
I work on achievements. Life sanity tip: don't work on achievements.
SwordofWhedon
SwordofWhedon
Posted on 22 March 19 at 15:03
Often times you’ll discover that the people in the dub are terrible actors and badly directed to boot. Then there are accidental travesties like Resident Evil where they thought it was a good idea to let someone direct line readings in a language they don’t understand.

Always play in the original language.
buttmudBrooks
buttmudBrooks
Posted on 22 March 19 at 15:21
I agree with almost all your points and I like the idea of Hitman languages changing wherever you happen to go.
I caught on to this language change thing years ago when I switched the spoken language of Assassin's Creed to that of the location I was playing (in this case it was AC 2 and I switched to Italian). I'm not sure I agree with the Witcher switch, however, as the world itself is fictional and so are location names and character names so I prefer to play that in the language I understand.
Always number 2.
Ganon255
Ganon255
Posted on 22 March 19 at 15:21
"Playing Sekiro in its story's native language is fantastic and I can't imagine reverting back to English."

Sounds like something a hipster would say, but I get your point.
Praise the Sun!
Solo Wing 82
Solo Wing 82
Posted on 22 March 19 at 15:24, Edited on 22 March 19 at 15:26 by Solo Wing 82
SpongeBob sounds way funnier in dutch than in english
Redanian
Redanian
Posted on 22 March 19 at 15:27
I completely disagree with the last paragraph regarding The Witcher. One of my favourite things about the game is how CDPR show a character's origin and background simply by using their accent and dialect which would be completely lost (on you and I) if the game were played in Polish.

If you feel playing the game in Polish would be more authentic, go for it, but as an English-speaker you will miss out on the nuance and depth of the dialogue.
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 22 March 19 at 15:29
I’ve never thought about changing the language to something I don’t understand. It makes sense to listen to the voice acting for the language it was created for, I might try it. Typically, I hate subtitles in my movies and games and would avoid doing this like the plague.

Reading kind of breaks up the immersion for me. Instead of feeling like I’m there in the thick of things I have to stop and read to understand what’s going on, then look up and hope I didn’t miss anything that happened in the moment.

I still have both playthroughs to do of Metro Last Light, maybe I’ll do one in English and one not and see how I feel. A good food for thought article, thanks.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 22 March 19 at 15:33
Shinnizle said:
I agree. In general, I prefer experiencing a medium in its original language as much as possible, as long as it's within my abilities. Even though I'll never play this game, I'm glad to hear they not only put the option to do so, but recommend it to the player.

And by the way...
Playing Sekiro in its story's native language is fantastic and I can't imagine reverting back to English. I'm sure a percentage of readers who are anime fans are laughing at the obviousness of this suggestion — dubs over subs and all that — but I think with video games like Sekiro this change may be even more important and more enjoyable.
Shouldn't it be subs over dubs in that situation?
Yes I think you’re right. I deleted that line while I was still confused. I may put it back in now and in proper order, haha.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 22 March 19 at 15:39
Redanian said:
I completely disagree with the last paragraph regarding The Witcher. One of my favourite things about the game is how CDPR show a character's origin and background simply by using their accent and dialect which would be completely lost (on you and I) if the game were played in Polish.

If you feel playing the game in Polish would be more authentic, go for it, but as an English-speaker you will miss out on the nuance and depth of the dialogue.
It was just a thought and you may be right. To be honest, I don’t think I’ll ever play The Witcher again anyway. I loved it, but it’s too long and there’s just too much to play nowadays. Baby coming in July too. I think my time with Geralt is over.
VSlaven
VSlaven
Posted on 22 March 19 at 15:41
I wanted to play both Metro Reduxes in Russian but the background conversations didn’t have subtitles so I was missing on them if I did. I wonder if Exodus has this sane issue. Also if the game was originally dubbed in japanase it would probably have more emotion on their voices (looking at you soulless dubs from Koei).
Redanian
Redanian
Posted on 22 March 19 at 15:42
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
Redanian said:

It was just a thought and you may be right. To be honest, I don’t think I’ll ever play The Witcher again anyway. I loved it, but it’s too long and there’s just too much to play nowadays. Baby coming in July too. I think my time with Geralt is over.
Name the baby Ciri and all will be forgiven.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 22 March 19 at 15:51
Redanian said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
Redanian said:

Name the baby Ciri and all will be forgiven.
She’s actually gonna be Ellie after the Last of Us protagonist.
Korewahondes
Korewahondes
Posted on 22 March 19 at 15:51, Edited on 22 March 19 at 15:52 by Korewahondes
I'm sure a percentage of readers who are anime fans are laughing at the obviousness of this suggestion
I was while reading the title of this article but I'm actually happy you wrote it tbh. I play all of my Japanese games in JP audio and the rest in French 'cos I don't really care about original English voiceacting. But I really think that Japanese games must be played in Japanese.
Transcending history, and the world, a tale of souls and swords, eternally retold.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.

Account Settings

In order for TrueAchievements to track your games and achievements correctly, it is required that we have access to your achievements. If your achievements are not being scanned in, it is likely that your privacy settings are not allowing this. To correct this, please follow these instructions:

1. Log into https://www.xbox.com/

2. Click on My Account in the top toolbar.
My Account location.

3. Scroll down to Safety and select Manage my privacy and online safety.
Privacy and online safety location.

4. Scroll down to 'Others can'. You need to make sure that 'Everybody' can see your game and app history
Game and app history location.

These steps will allow TrueAchievements to update all of your achievements across all Xbox platforms.