Game Discussion: DiRT Rally 2.0 Forum

Top Tier?

AuthorMessage
el p1nko
el p1nko
Posted on 23 March 19 at 02:29
So no one has this „Fire Up“ achievement yet and I dunno if it is still bugged or if the „D+“ daily challenge does not count, but anyway, even if it worked:

What is the „top tier“ that the achievement requires?

As there are 4 tiers I would have expected that I need a top 25% time.

However I just did this D+ daily challenge in the Audi Quattro and I did the 477th time out of 3219 drivers, which is within not only the top 25% but even within the top 15%.
Even if I did not count those that have a 30:00 minute time and apparently retired or got a terminal damage there are still 2236 drivers with a time below 30 minutes, which apparently finished the stage, and again being 477th I would be within the top 25% of those.

However the game shows me being slightly *outside* the top tier in the second tier.

So what is the deal with this, do I have to place within the top 100 or something? Because then I can just give up and forget about this achievement, there are always more than 100 drivers that have played DR1 and 2 for thousands of hours so there is no chance really to get into the top 100.
Kitty Skies
Kitty Skies
Posted on 23 March 19 at 09:51
You have to wait for an audi daily challenge. There has not been one up until this point yet.

Group B where it will only allow people to select the Audio Quattro car.
www.thehiddenlevels.com
el p1nko
el p1nko
Posted on 23 March 19 at 10:21
Thanks but for the time being my main question is what "top tier" means - it doesn't help if such an event comes along, I place a time within the top 25% again but then don't get the achievement because "top tier" means.... well that is the question, what does it mean, what is required to get into the top tier, because it looks like doing a top 25% time doesn't cut it?
Kitty Skies
Kitty Skies
Posted on 23 March 19 at 15:23
top tier is more like 10%....

but in the daily events, there are only two quadrants... tier 1 + 2 and they go on aggregate times.

So as long as you beat the average person, you'll be in top tier.
www.thehiddenlevels.com
R3DH4MM3R
R3DH4MM3R
Posted on 23 March 19 at 17:55
In the Codies forum they said any Group B Daily would be okay.

But since no one unlocked it with yesterday's challenge it's still bugged or you really need a Audi specific event (which I doubt because there was no single car based challenge yet).

Which time is enough for the top tier is a really good question though.

Managed to be 17th in a Daily event and the bar showed i was in the second tier because the PC players were so far ahead. When the event ended i was almost at the right side of the bar though... Really don't understand this leaderboard system...

But in my opinion it's safe to say you have to get a run without major mistakes to make it to the top tier. If you get reset with a 12 sec penalty it's almost guaranteed game over.
el p1nko
el p1nko
Posted on 24 March 19 at 10:12
So far I haven't found any theory that fits what could be the top tier.
Obviously a top 25% time does not guarantee a place in the top tier (if there are four) but I also did some "tests" yesterday where I calculated the top time vs. my time in percentage points, but that did not lead to anything either, as in one event I scored a time that was 123% of the top time (i.e. 23% slower) and I was much closer to the top tier than in another event where I was "just" 18% slower than the top time.
Maybe it is using some statistical methods calculating the median time and then applying a standard deviation or something....

But judging from my performance in the New England Group B event and my time there this will be unobtainable for me if I really have to get close to the top time. The top driver had a time of 5:55 and mine was 7:17 and that was after I had done numerous test runs on the track before (I killed the game at the loading screen to see the stage and then restarted it and did time trials...).

I mean I am not THAT a bad driver, in Gran Turismo Sport on the PS4 I usually can do a lap time 1-2 seconds off the time of the "aliens", but going from 7:17 to close to 5:55 seems completely impossible, maybe I could do a 6:40 or so with LOTS of training, but nowhere near 5:55 for sure....
R3DH4MM3R
R3DH4MM3R
Posted on 24 March 19 at 11:04
If you can get a - like in this case - around a 6:40 than this should be enough for top tier.

Don't forget that the top time is always set by some alien PC drivers but the top time in the Xbox leaderboard is usually at least 20 secs slower than the top overall time.

And as I posted above - as long as the challenge is running it seems you're in one leaderboard with all, but when it comes down to the final result it seems like it's only Xbox.

And maybe - maybe! - even Kitty Skies could be right and we just need a Delta Challenge (like in Dirt 1) than this would be ALOT easier! :) Can't remember there was Delta Group B challenge yet...
el p1nko
el p1nko
Posted on 24 March 19 at 12:58, Edited on 24 March 19 at 14:30 by el p1nko
I think I might have found the solution to the original question:

Today in the reward details section of yesterday's daily challenge it also showed the times required for the tiers. I then checked the ranking of the players with exactly these times and then divided the rank by the total number of players:

The last tier 1 driver was the last one within the TOP 10% of times.
The last tier 2 driver was the last one within the TOP 35% of times.
The last tier 3 driver was the last one within the TOP 75% of times.

My time was within the top 24.3% and it showed my a tiny bit worse than in the middle of the second tier, which is as expected (as the middle of the 2nd tier according to this logic should be at 22.5%).

EDIT: for the one with only 2 tiers you need to do a top 50% time to be in the top tier.

EDIT2: just to confirm, did another one where I was in the top 33% of times and as expected I was barely within the top 35% second tier.
The time that would have been needed for the top 10% seems doable with some training and when making no mistakes. I was around 50 seconds off of the 10% time and had done three major mistakes, which each cost probably around 10 seconds and for the rest improving by the additional 20s seems doable as I was driving rather carefully and didn‘t know the stage and didn‘t like it either (the Poland one, norrow and fast where even a tiny mistake costs you lots of time and has pretty severe consequences..,).
R3DH4MM3R
R3DH4MM3R
Posted on 24 March 19 at 17:00, Edited on 24 March 19 at 17:01 by R3DH4MM3R
Just tried todays challenge it was really a sign not to freak out.
Best time overall is a 7:31 at the moment.
My time was 8:31 - so 60 secs slower and I already thought.... oh my...
But regarding the Xbox leaderboards I'm 4th with just 8 secs slower than the top Xbox time and I'm safely in the top tier.
So just try to be careful and just make it to the finish line. Slow is steady, steady is fast. :)
morison82
morison82
Posted on 25 March 19 at 11:45
I think we should wait for a special event audi sport in community events. Yesterday event best time 7.05 my result 8.39 n ye top tier but no achievement.
el p1nko
el p1nko
Posted on 28 March 19 at 09:16
Regarding the platforms: I had it set to multi-platform and now tried switching to Xbox-only but I do not think that this changes your classification into tiers. I only saw the Xbox times on the leaderboard then but my classification into the tiers was always worse than it should have been according to the logic I described above (if it really only counted the times of Xbox drivers for the classification)- most likely because PC drivers do on average better times than console players (or PS4 drivers being better than Xbox drivers? ;-)), so my ranking within Xbox-only was better than the overall ranking, which always seems to be used for the classification into the tiers.
Dreben
Dreben
Posted on 31 March 19 at 15:42
No one gets this achievement on all three platforms.
Seems that achievement is broken.
R3DH4MM3R
R3DH4MM3R
Posted on 01 April 19 at 16:58
Yeah and with playerbase already thinning out this will be impossible to obtain anyway.
Was 15,3 sec slower than the top time in yesterdays event with the 2000ccm class and I was only in the second tier with around 0,4 slower than the top tier time.

So even the top 10% times is not correct somehow - top time was something around 7:47 min - so the top 10% of times must have bee 8:34 mins but it was 8:02,9 which is only 3%.
And it can't be the top 10% of drivers as well because i was 39th of 525 which is in the top 8%.

So my post a few days ago was wrong because I'm already freaking out. :D
el p1nko
el p1nko
Posted on 01 April 19 at 19:40
R3DH4MM3R said:
And it can't be the top 10% of drivers as well because i was 39th of 525 which is in the top 8%.
You don‘t happen to have the leaderboard set to Xbox-only?
Because this is exactly what I would expect when it is set to Xbox-only. As the Xbox drivers are slower than the PC drivers you rank higher within Xbox-only, however the tier classification is always applied multi platform, so your actual multiplayer rank is slightly outside the 10%.

God knows whether this is broken or whether this event still hasn‘t happened yet (which in my book also counts as broken).

But a thinning out player base is also what I fear regarding the obtainability of this achievement as likely only the really good drivers will remain in the long term.

But maybe we are lucky and when this is fixed and/or the event finally comes along it will be one of those where there are only two tiers and being in the top 50% is sufficient.
erod550
erod550
Posted on 08 April 19 at 00:19
R3DH4MM3R said:
Yeah and with playerbase already thinning out this will be impossible to obtain anyway.
Was 15,3 sec slower than the top time in yesterdays event with the 2000ccm class and I was only in the second tier with around 0,4 slower than the top tier time.

So even the top 10% times is not correct somehow - top time was something around 7:47 min - so the top 10% of times must have bee 8:34 mins but it was 8:02,9 which is only 3%.

So my post a few days ago was wrong because I'm already freaking out. :D
Every so often there is a delta event where there are only two tiers and there's a hard line cutoff between them. All you have to do is beat the given time and as you race your time is compared to that cutoff line and it's significantly easier than the multi-tier events. I rarely even get into the second tier of the normal events and I beat the delta time by 40 seconds last time I played one. Pretty much just don't crash and you're fine.

That said, the achievement is still broken so they have to fix it AND we have to wait for another of those delta events to come around.
el p1nko
el p1nko
Posted on 08 April 19 at 17:24, Edited on 08 April 19 at 17:28 by el p1nko
Fix is coming:
http://blog.codemasters.com/community/04/dirt-rally-2-0-road...

But the scary part is that they'll also add more achievements, so we'll see how many of the new ones will be broken and how annoying they will be.
I had hoped to just do this achievement and then be done with it.
Probably best if I just work on fixing my achievement completeness OCD instead.
HomelyBumRocket
Posted on 16 April 19 at 01:19, Edited on 16 April 19 at 01:20 by HomelyBumRocket
There is a Group B Daily event today (Poland, ugh). If you manage a top-tier time, and wait until tomorrow to collect your reward after you have downloaded the update, theoretically you should get the achievement. (Well, assuming the patch does in fact fix the achievement.)
Kriostyx
Kriostyx
Posted on 16 April 19 at 05:31, Edited on 16 April 19 at 05:34 by Kriostyx
Unless they intend to award the achievement to everyone who has already accomplished this in the past, it is unacceptable even if they fix it to work later. Sometimes achievements break, but if you intend to have an achievement that is this time specific, this exceptionally difficult and you only have one shot per daily to try, with no way to practice since you can't see what stage and at what time and in what weather it takes place.... you need to not have that achievement at all in the game if there is even a slight risk that the achievement might not work. No one intends for these things to break but this ONE achievement _ had to work _ . And it didn't.

I have three Tier 1 Group B finishes so far and watch how I will be unable to get anymore due to dwindling player amounts or whatever other reasons. Poland is indeed an impossible country to get a tier 1 in so the cheevo might as well still not work after the patch. This and the "Middle Finger in your face in the main career screen because you lack " Entitlement" because you dared to only play full price" approach to DLC mean that this will be the last Dirt game by which Codemasters gets any money from me.
el p1nko
el p1nko
Posted on 16 April 19 at 09:01
Kriostyx said:
with no way to practice since you can't see what stage and at what time and in what weather it takes place....
There are two ways around this:
* Launch the event and right at the loading screen when you can see the event details, but before you get to the service area, kill the game. I have tried this a couple of times and this should work, you can still launch the event after restarting the game (although I did it a few weeks ago, they might have "fixed" this in recent updates).
* I guess if you just create a second profile on your Xbox and launch the game and the event with the second profile, then it shouldn't count for your main profile (didn't test this, because the first method so far worked, but as this also works with other games I don't see why it shouldn't work here).

I agree with all your other statements, this is all very disappointing from Codemasters.
morison82
morison82
Posted on 16 April 19 at 12:23
Yep, achievement unlock after update.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.